Game-Labs Forum

News from the south

admin

He means that xp/crafting xp is safe. gold/items/ships probably won't be wiped until release or a major design flaw. Map is subject to change.

Also this is why some of us have been focusing on pvp over port battles. It was clear there would be whipes. Though it's good people are still wanting to take ports as that is what helps test the game.

Edited by Spitzenhund

While on the subject of port resets, and while we have admin's attention on this thread:

I strongly strongly recommend that eventually some form of "winning the map" is possible, with subsequent reset. It should be difficult and take months but needs to eventually be possible. I glad to hear admin say that we don't know what final conquest will look like - hopefully it will look like something more significant than just counting the ports owned by each nation. Players need a goal to work towards, and an endgame without a way to "win" will cause many players to lose interest very fast.

A side benefit of "winning the map" being possible is that this player resistance you see now to port changes won't exist. Changes to balance can be easily implemented during a reset without causing an uproar each time. People will accept the map as fluid, making it far easier to make changes/tweaks leading up to full launch, and even after launch (during map resets).

Edited by 'Sharpe
  • Like 2

Before we were accused of favoring

• Danish
  • Swedish
  • Pirates
  • British
  • Americans

Now Spanish are added to the list (though spanish think different)

(dutch will probably be added to the list later)

This means we favor all players and you should give us a positive review and send us a UGE donation expressing gratitude. Or you can buy me brian lavery ship of the line books (vol1 vol2) cant get them delivered to ukraine from amazon private stores.

So no love for Dutch :(

btw if you move Spanish capital to Cartagena De Indias, we dutch will be really sad :(

The game's still in early development and none of these things are set yet. On top of that, the current situation is far more likely to make some players, particularly Spanish at the moment, quit playing altogether. That hurts the game, and it hurts the rest of us who want a large, active community. This is even more true when those players are helping test. Speaking for myself, the map could reset every other week for all I care, so long as the end result is a large, active community playing a solid game at launch.

did you see the number of players they can put down in the south? 40 to 50 strong!

Edited by Nash

So no love for Dutch :(

btw if you move Spanish capital to Cartagena De Indias, we dutch will be really sad :(

did you see the number of players they can put down in the south? 40 to 50 strong!

Why mate? Spanish girls are beautiful, but remember, you can look but don't touch.

• Like 1

admin, on 17 Feb 2016 - 01:38 AM, said:snapback.png

• Danish
  • Swedish
  • Pirates
  • British
  • Americans

This means we favor all players and you should give us a positive review and send us a UGE donation expressing gratitude. Or you can buy me brian lavery ship of the line books (vol1 vol2) cant get them delivered to ukraine from amazon private stores.

The point is, we (as the spanish nation or at least most of us) dont want to be favored.

Flipping ports without changing the port battles mechanics will only make it all happen again.

What is killing us is:

1.-The timers: US atack most ports at 2-3 am in our time. When they take it, they put a timer at 4-6 am  EU time in a EU server. We wake up and find ports taken and impossible to retake.

2.-Lack of time to prepare the defence: The distances in the game are huge and sometimes (If you dont have an outpost) it takes hours to reach the atacked port. Give us (and everybody else) 24 hours before the atack to get ready.

If you change the mechanics (not only for the spanish but for all) we can guarantee US navy will soon start to find harder resistance.

There are 2 other problems for the spanish comunity that are not "broken" game mechanics.

-The us navy player lvl is usually higher than ours and they are many more. Being many more is not an issue in a 25 vs 25 battle. And the lvl diference is somthing that will repair by itself when we all reach max lvl. There is not much to fix there. In fact some of us are enjoying fighting against superior ships and numbers. We are learning a lot and sinking over confident US players over and over again.  :D

-Spanish chaotic spirit. It is hard for us to get organized. In fact, sometimes it is so hard (not only in naval action but in other mmos also) that many spanish players prefer to play in other nacionalities clans/corp/guild.

It will take longer. But it will happen. 

Please dont give us any unbalancing advantage. A rule for an specific nation is unbalancing by definition.

Keep up with the good work devs.

PD: Donations are never a good/reliable source of income. I hope you are allready thinking about how to get periodical income from this game. Many of us want it to last looooong.

Gaizka

Bastardos Sin Gloria Diplo.

• Like 5

For the sake of good mood in this thread, please, refrain of make mention at timers or port battles here please. If spanish players don't reach enough rank or ship as US or other nations players is only our fault. This thread is only for speak about a possible relocation of spanish ports, not to ask advantages in XP earning of better ships for one nation.

We need to test the new changes, whatever they are, admin had proposed and evaluate the result. Not more and no less.

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to a better Port Battle mechanic and a map wipe.  It is Early Access after all.  Bring on the wipes.  Let's make this an even better game by fixing these problems people keep complaining about. 

Agreed, even if it means news of my crew's rescue from Cuyo is delayed and engaging the US on an even footing is slightly pushed back. 

Unfortunately we are long past the point of institution nationality locks to maintain an even footing, I'm beginning to think the only salvation for the spaniards is to contract thoseeager to fight for fame and gold.

Personally, I've got mixed feelings about an intervention from the devs on the side of Espana. If the intervention takes place like by the weekend, I disagree w/the decision. Simply because enough time has expired for the Spanish to fix what is most likely an internal issue instead of a mechanical one game wise.

Espana didnt lose Cuba because of an in-game mechanical issue, they lost it because of a lack of in-house, faction wide apathy towards defending what was theirs.

So then the next question is where are you going to place their new capitol? The isthmus isnt exactly a great spot because the ports are rather spread out, so you'll have to place them along the Yucatan, which would most likely make it like Victoria, Sisal or maybe one of the islands, Baxo, Triangles. But, thats all more a curiosity statement than anything. Will the Spanish players get a say? 

As to the port timer thing. I would kind of like to try out the mechanic thats been suggested a few times of having a 24hr capture window. Just to try it out. Or to at least hear an argument why it shouldnt be tried. Thing is, regardless there will always be arguments about time zones. Theres always someone sleeping somewhere in the world. Its that damn Sun of ours that forces us into this predicament. We as a race should do something about its scheduling. Its totally unfair.

2.-Lack of time to prepare the defence: The distances in the game are huge and sometimes (If you dont have an outpost) it takes hours to reach the atacked port. Give us (and everybody else) 24 hours before the atack to get ready.

Yes i think you are right. At the moment ppl are siiting in harbours waiting for an attack of another nation each evening. It's a waste of time. The delayed PB would also solve the problem of the defense towers,

those could be eliminated or weakened as Defenenders have probably enough time to get ppl there unless you get attacked by several nations at the same time which is another problem.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to a better Port Battle mechanic and a map wipe.  It is Early Access after all.  Bring on the wipes.  Let's make this an even better game by fixing these problems people keep complaining about.

It's all a matter of development priorities :

Current priorities do not allow fixing the problems immediately but in the future we plan to address them.

Port Batte mechanics will be fixed. But other features are in development right now.

In the meanwhile, some temporary bonuses and exceptional interventions from NA devs in favor of Spain may help to keep on playing and testing the other features.

My2Cent:

1) Favoring a specific nation without having a strict rule / system implemented, will upset all other nations (more or less)

2) Changing the rules, with a manual interaction, without resetting everything, will upset all other nations (more or less)

3) Leave it to the players to solve those issues. I.e. France and Dutch finally made an agreement and the US is offering an agreement towards the Spanish for more than a week now. Nobody from spain stept up and had a talk with the US.

Honestly, if you help the spanish at this point like mommy and daddy would do it, it migh only lead to the point where everbody will be the opinion, that spanish needs to be taken out of the game (= play to crush)

Posted Today, 04:46 AM

Siegfried, on 17 Feb 2016 - 03:38 AM, said:snapback.png

For the sake of good mood in this thread, please, refrain of make mention at timers or port battles here please.

For the love of god, yes. Mods take note.

Sorry I mentioned it but I thought we were talking about how to solve the problem of the Spanish nation (a problem that the british will start having soon).

I will say it again. PLEASE DONT NERF US (The spanish). Plese fix the problem, dont make a new one. 2 wrongs dont make a right.

Gaizka

Bastardos si Gloria Diplo.

The Spanish lost due to their own actions. instead of strengthening their own home area, they moved en masse to south America. If you need to move their home port to make it safer from attack, move It to the south side of cuba where there is a cluster of ports. they will be fine there if they can be bothered to actually defend it. its quite hard to get to from either british or americans ports. however if they continue to just sit in south America they wont defend anything.

The whole thing is nothing to do with timers or location, just internal bad decisions.

Posted Today, 10:57 AM

"The Spanish lost due to their own actions. instead of strengthening their own home area, they moved en masse to south America. If you need to move their home port to make it safer from attack, move It to the south side of cuba where there is a cluster of ports. they will be fine there if they can be bothered to actually defend it. its quite hard to get to from either british or americans ports. however if they continue to just sit in south America they wont defend anything.

The whole thing is nothing to do with timers or location, just internal bad decisions."

You couldnt be more wrong. 

We wont defend anything anywere at 5 am. in a EU server. 

Please prove me wrong by doing the same with the Brits or by setting the timers of ALL the taken ports at 10 PM GMT :D  

You are right the lack of organization from the Spanish side was (and is) an issue, but it wasnt by any means the main reason why we dont try to retake the ports.

Gaizka

Bastardos del Diablo Diplo

The whole thing is nothing to do with timers or location, just internal bad decisions.

Right, even I think the timer are doing the game no good. Spain is not even capable to defend their harbors during EU primetime.

Regarding timers: Just get rid of them. If you really want to have organized and huge PvP, wich is not putting the most populated nation into a position where they actually will not be able to loose, you should consider reveersing the timers:

The attacker buys a flag and sets a timeframe when they are going to attack the town. The attack cannot be earlier than 24h after the timeframe was set.

With this system the defending nation will be warned and will be able to set up a defence. For sure, this will not solve the issue underpopulated nations will have, but it will give them a chance. Everything else they must solve by talking ot eachother. The devs will never be able to solve it.

Speaking of the devs: If you would have listened to all those old potbs players, who were aware of all the issue such a game brings to the agenda, this all might not have happened.

• Like 1

You are right the lack of organization from the Spanish side was (and is) an issue, but it wasnt by any means the main reason why we dont try to retake the ports.

Gaizka

Bastardos del Diablo Diplo

So why did you not got into contact with the US to discuss this issue? As far as I am informed, they would not refuse a conversation.

• Like 1

• Danish
  • Swedish
  • Pirates
  • British
  • Americans

Sir I don't want to disapoint you but I think the Dutch won't be added on the list, due to our mentality of fighting our way out instead of complaining.

About the good review, already done.

And for the Donation, sorry I am saving money for a new PC, after I have that one Ill take a look at it. ;)

One thing i don't understand, and a serious question to spanish players, you have loosing a war with US, have you ever try to speak with them and find a way for peace ? Because, i think, we have the chance to play a game whith good people, adult for the most part, and i think this kind of meta game is interesting for everyone... Have u ever try to make some peace proposal to US before being wiped ? 

• Like 1

Sir I don't want to disapoint you but I think the Dutch won't be added on the list, due to our mentality of fighting our way out instead of complaining.

About the good review, already done.

And for the Donation, sorry I am saving money for a new PC, after I have that one Ill take a look at it. ;)

Where does this leave the French then? ;)