Game-Labs Forum

News from the south

admin

How will hard limits work?  Say all US players on PVP1 join PVP3 and make Brit alts and never play again, locking out many people from playing the nation they want to play as?  Or say someone buys the game, starts a character once, and never plays again?

Yeah, there're too many ways for a flat, hard pop limit to become more hindrance than help. I'd much rather see a more dynamic, incentive/penalty approach.

delaying a port battle to be ready for it. Large territory is hard to defend.

I'm not really clear on what you're after here, it sounds like you're suggesting that more warning be given to make it easier to defend a large area? I think the opposite should be the case, that the more land you control the more difficult it should be to hold, and factions will pay a price for over-extending just as they do in reality. It plays into the historical setting (how much notice would we all have had, when the warning would have to sail to you as well?), and as a (perhaps too-) simple representation of the logistical side of conquest.

I think distance from Capital should result in two things, regarding conquests.

1) The further away you are, the wider the port battle timer on your own ports. This would represent the distance for warnings to travel as well as the logistics of supply and reinforcement.

2) The further away you are, the more expensive flags become. Again this would represent the difficulties that distance poses on logistics. If you purchase the flag closer to home then it's cheaper, but it's harder to get it to the target on time. One interception at sea could result in a timer run-down.

• Like 5

So why did you not got into contact with the US to discuss this issue? As far as I am informed, they would not refuse a conversation.

What do you want us to speak with them? When the time zone issue went into forums, they went to nightflip half cuba and yucatan the same day, and they keep their port timers st 4-6 am. They refuse to stop griefing. A nation that wants a fight does not do that.

I am not blaming anyone, I am just telling you the US are inviting the SPANISH to discuss this issue an to find a solution for about a week now. Either the spanish population is not getting the point or they are too cocky to do so. But it is so much easier to run to MOM and DAD and ask for a solution.....

Honestly, just get over your massive ego and have a talk about this.

And do me a favor and stop using PB timers, low playerbase and the rest as an excuse for the situation. It still does not explain, why the spanish nation is not up to solve the problem together with the other nation(s) by themselfes. Specially the problem with the PB timers should be discussed seperatly.

Lol, you are not blaming but you just said Spain is also cocky. What possible solution can be found? I dont get it. Please explain. And stop being disrespective please

At least 1 full port map reset might happen in the future or maybe two. + 1 more on the release on the game. And we don't really know how the final conquest will look like.

TLDR - don't get to attached to ports.

If you reset ports and we have ships and other stuff there... We lose all that's there or will there be a window to save our ships??

If a map wipe includes the wipe of all assets, the game will be dead in notime.

Not really. Anyone who has been following the game and is invested in it is well aware of the likelihood of a wipe before the full release. It's a product that is still in development, after all. The devs have to ensure as level a playing field as possible upon release.

• Like 2

If a map wipe includes the wipe of all assets, the game will be dead in notime.

I've said this before elsewhere, but you're here to test the game. If somebody got the game in order to get a headstart against other players and gets upset about losing their 'stuff' because of wipes during development, they need to stop buying into Early Access alpha/beta releases, because they're not helping anybody, themselves included.

• Like 1

Map and or/asset wipe would not only be fine but expected. it will prevent stagnation or total domination and give newer players the chance to experience the early map stages when the nations were more spread out and there were lots of neutral ports for trading etc.

XP wipe more than perhaps once on release would be a bit tedious and demoralising. I know we perform the function of testing but we are also paying customers and losing 200 hours of progress would make a lot of people into sad pandas.

So what they propose seems fair and fine to me. i.e. possible asset/map wipe if needed but hopefully no XP wipe.

The whole idea of map wipes to prevent stagnation ties into a post elsewhere by... I think either Pratar or Johnny Reb, maybe, I don't recall... about having a "map win" condition that would trigger map resets post-launch. I don't know what that condition might be, but it's definitely an idea worth exploring.

• Like 1

An issue I see with a periodic map wipe would be the Tetris problem: not only are defeats resets, but successes are too. If wars would persist over the map wipe, it'll just be fighting the same battles over and over and over. If you're good at it, the map wipes and resets all of your accomplishments. If you're bad at it, you just get to keep getting attacked over and over and over.

Conquest for the sake of conquest can be problematic. Either the Conquest has to be the main mode of play (A Heroes and Generals-type conquest system-- not feasible in Naval Action) or there has to be a tangible incentive for conquest that carries over ("Map winner" rewards of some type, but resetting the map when a nation loses doesn't necessarily mean that anybody wins).

Unfortunately, I can only see problems for periodic map wipes, and while there indeed may be solutions to those problems, I just can't see them at the moment.

Maybe I'm just hung up on the idea of periodic wipes letting us test out different strategies and mitigate the potential for losing players when a country gets decimated (wherever the blame for that may lie, not at issue here). I agree that there's got to be more to it than simply flipping the table and starting over periodically, because you'd lose the motivation to keep doing it after a while. Rewards/incentives for "winning" would be a must, whether it be slightly faster xp gain for a few days post-reset or starting with a few more towns, something to reflect a higher seeding. Then there could be something like the NHL draft lottery for the last place country, whoever took the biggest beating, where they'd get an xp boost for a while or..

Hmm, I dunno, now I'm stuck thinking about hockey. It's not my fault; I'm Canadian.

At any rate, a bonus for the winner and a consolation for the "loser".

Rumors surfaced that Spanish armies that were busy with the rebellion in the Lower Andes are moving in from the south with the support of the natives and Portuguese colonial forces. 

Partisan movement have started on several formerly Spanish areas. Several undermanned garrisons were slaughtered by the rebels that escaped into the mountains after american support came in.

More info later. 

Everyone here realizes that by removing the Spanish capital from Cuba, then you only put the next closest enemy to the US further away.......meaning more ports for the US to capture uncontested, meaning more resources for US, and creating a snowball effect that would make the US even more powerful.

So, you may move the Spanish capital, but Spain will still get demolished by the US if it so wishes.  And since Port conquest is central to the RvR success of this game, the US will still want to take their ports.

This changes nothing except helps the US snowball out of control even faster with no opposition in Cuba.

Everyone here realizes that by removing the Spanish capital from Cuba, then you only put the next closest enemy to the US further away.......meaning more ports for the US to capture uncontested, meaning more resources for US, and creating a snowball effect that would make the US even more powerful.

True moving the Spanish Capital alone, might not be enough. Probably need to move the British Capital to be say on South West side of Cuba when the map is next reset, along with moving one of the other nations to an island around Honduras / Nicaragua / Costa Rica; but as a short term moving the Spanish Capital would fix their newbies starting area being a death trap.