Game-Labs Forum

Is this game EVE?

I might be crazy, or its my imagination but when something comes up for debate EVE is seemingly standard game used to justify whatever case is being made. Typically on both sides of the argument.

While I must confess I never played EVE( no sub games for me) I am at a loss as to why so many players apparently want to turn this into EVE.

Hate to tell you guys, this game is not EVE, and dare I say it I hope it never will be.

If you want EVE, go play it instead of trying to turn this into that.

I know the developers did not likely start work on this game in the mindset of making this an AOS EVE clone, but I could of missed that memo.

• Like 3

I might be crazy, or its my imagination but when something comes up for debate EVE is seemingly standard game used to justify whatever case is being made. Typically on both sides of the argument.

While I must confess I never played EVE( no sub games for me) I am at a loss as to why so many players apparently want to turn this into EVE.

Hate to tell you guys, this game is not EVE, and dare I say it I hope it never will be.

If you want EVE, go play it instead of trying to turn this into that.

I know the developers did not likely start work on this game in the mindset of making this an AOS EVE clone, but I could of missed that memo.

Having played EVE for a long time and am now getting to grips with NA, I can say with confidence that there are a lot of facets of EVE shining through. It's its own game, mind, but the economy, things like contracts and the emphasis on players working together in large scale actions is very EVE like.

As a big fan of EVE I can only applaud it and state I don't understand why there is such hostility to those aspects of EVE in the game.

That said, the XP system, the combat system, the ships and many other aspects are often diametrically opposed to what EVE does, which is good and I have no problems with.

• Like 1

People draw comparisons towards EVE when discussing this game because, quite frankly, there isn't another open world game with a similar style crafting and economy out there.

Plus, both games have ships.

Anyways... open world RvR where you can capture ports, where you can "own" a part of the map, where teamplay is critical for the larger RvR game but you still have great opportunites to play as a lone wolf as well, as a pirate, or privateer, or simply trading and crafting... it shares so many of the core elements that EVE also has that it's hard not to compare the two.

Should we compare the two?

Why not? EVE has been around "forever", and there are many 'lessons learned' experiences from EVE Online that can be brought up as valid arguments when discussing the addition, removal or changing of features in Naval Action. Why should we NOT look at a decade+ worth of trial and error in EVE when making Naval Action? At least by drawing on the trials and errors EVE has gone through it can help prevent Naval Action from stepping into the same pitfalls.

Naval Action is NOT EVE Online though. Not anymore than Black Desert being World of Warcraft, or War Thunder being World of Tanks. They are two separate games which share similar core elements. Black Desert and World of Warcraft have levels, characters, grouping, PvP, equipment upgrades etc. Obviously one MMO will look at previous MMO's and then consider what worked, what didn't, what changed and why.

I think comparing Naval Action and EVE Online, or specifically, comparing certain core elements that both games share and not necessarily the game as a whole, is a healthy process and will be beneficial for Naval Action.

That said, I don't want Naval Action to be EVE Online. If I wanted that I would simply play EVE Online.

• Like 5

Both games boast a huge world controlled and influenced by players fighting battles in destructible ships that can be lost in combat.

NA does a much better job in helping newer players up to speed.

The free basic cutter is good enough to have some pew pew in and get you started on bigger ships. The 5 durability of the lower tier ships ensures people who only own one ship can still fight in it when needed or make a mistake in their mission and

Live to fight another day.

While EVE has a huge world it's far to easy to cross and thus having a battle without every man and his dog turning up is near impossible.

The world in NA is huge and takes a long time to cross witch means battles can be settled by local entities.

It's got a much more fun combat system than Eve, but unfortunately the same propensity to make people avoid combat unless they are filthy rich.

hmmmm I have 30k gold right now, is that considered "filthy rich". I PvP every time I log in, whether its sailing straight by the capital port of an enemy Nation or participating in port battles I have NEVER been held back by a lack of funds. I of course do some PvE missions/AI fleet hunting/Trader hunting. Just don't go making up excuses that you needs tons of money to not only be successful in PvP or PvE but to regularly participate. Heck! all the materials I have been collecting from traders goes straight to my friend who is a crafter! (talk about money I could be making).

Edited by The MetaBaron
  • Like 1

Hello good sir.

I agree with you.

Eve is one of the worst mmo's ive ever encounted (and ive played since everquest alpha in 1997).

You can even train your character offline in Eve and i dislike everything related to a concept like that.

Anyhow, This game will not be anything like Eve forsure.

Most ppl dont like that game.

There are still things with regards to the economy, how to make it player driven, pitfalls and advantages as well as other aspects concerning the open world design in EVE that can be looked at and experiences drawn from it when it comes to getting things right for Naval Action without letting history repeat itself.

• Like 1

Hello good sir.

I agree with you.

Eve is one of the worst mmo's ive ever encounted (and ive played since everquest alpha in 1997).

You can even train your character offline in Eve and i dislike everything related to a concept like that.

Most people by definition don't like any game, or over half the worlds population would be playing.

EvE has a very avid playerbase and for a lot of them the attraction is the pvp and perma ship loss which has a lot in common with this game.

As to the skill training, its actually more akin to how British Post Captains became Admirials - by waiting. Once your name was on the list you just had to wait for everybody in front of you to die...

Sorry, OP, but you can't really say this game "will never be EVE".  Maybe the devs want the game to be similar to EVE?  IIRC, I believe I remember they've actually made mention of EVE a few times in threads over the course of development when talking about possible ideas for game mechanics for NA so......

Combat wise I don't want this game to be anything near EVE. I found combat in EVE to be severely lackluster, as well as the constant "can I fit this if I do that" meta-game on 3rd party software to really take a lot of my focus away from the game itself.

However, the player driven market on the economy side of EVE is very well laid out and has been tested and tweaked for a decade, so that is something that shouldn't be missed out on. I enjoyed the industry, trading and science parts of the game quite a bit.

With the latest news for the content update things are beginning to get very interesting...

Production buildings

Production buildings are still tentative and might not get in next patch. Please leave your feedback on how you want production buildings to work in the following topic http://forum.game-la...gs-discussions/.

Combat wise I don't want this game to be anything near EVE. I found combat in EVE to be severely lackluster, as well as the constant "can I fit this if I do that" meta-game on 3rd party software to really take a lot of my focus away from the game itself.

However, the player driven market on the economy side of EVE is very well laid out and has been tested and tweaked for a decade, so that is something that shouldn't be missed out on. I enjoyed the industry, trading and science parts of the game quite a bit.

With the latest news for the content update things are beginning to get very interesting...

I agree I hated the combat in Eve and I was a player for 7 years. I do like the player economy and that really adds a dynamic to the game, I think the devs should try their best at bringing a similar economy into the game.

However the aspect of Eve that I really do want in the game (at the horror of many players) is the permanent loss of ships. Until, that is, you go buy another of the same type.

Edited by CountJeffrey