Game-Labs Forum

Change the name of the Frigate to Cherubim

Cherubim or frigate ?  

269 members have voted

1. 1. Change the name of the Frigate to Cherubim (the corresponding ship)

• Yes
    • No
    • Cherubi-wan Kenobi

La Renommée was a half-sister of La Sirène, both launched at Brest in 1744. The former was designed by F.-G. Deslaurier, the latter by J.-L. Coulomb. But both were mere sous-constructeur at the time and worked under the close supervision of maître Blaise Ollivier and according to his design principles.

I´m pretty sure you can call La Renommée and La Sirène an 'one-off' design.

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 1

Hello there,

It is really confusing to have the Cherubim name IG as "Frigate". Everytime I speak with friends about it, everything got mixed up.

"Let's capture a frigate !"

"Which one, a surprise ?"

"Noo, I mean the frigate.

"Uhh ?"

"The frigate, I mean the frigate named frigate."

"There is a frigate named frigate ?"

"Yes."

"..."

And repeat it ad eternum with every new friend coming.

Nearly every ship IG it named by its class. Why change ? 

Sure, the cutter IG is named cutter. But it's the only cutter we have. So it's fine. It would be fine to name the cherubim frigate if it was the only frigate IG. It isn't.

However pirate frigate is fine. because it's the only pirate frigate in game. 

The same will happen to the 3rd rate. It's fine right now, because there are only 2 3rd rate. What will happen when there will be 4 ? Confuse everyone as well. Let's fuse the actual ship with the Bellona, no ?

Maybe devs want to make "generic" ships, but it does not really make sense because there are already many ships of the same class. 

What's your opinion guys ? 

It really is a bit of a mix isn't it.  

We have "3rd rates" named Bellona

We have 2 snows, one called "snow" one called "Niagra"

we have several kinds of Frigates only one is called Frigate

Really need to come up with a standard.  I'd suggest that when your in open world looking at a fleet it should say that TYPE of ships "2 third rate, 4 frigate" once your in battle, you find out exactly which frigates and which third rates you face.

• Like 3

How do you define a snow, anyway? I  thought the snow in game is snow because it has guns in two decks, or perhaps the tall hull structure, but if the Niagara is a snow too, then I have no idea.

Edited by kumisz

It really is a bit of a mix isn't it.  

We have "3rd rates" named Bellona

we have several kinds of Frigates only one is called Frigate

Really need to come up with a standard.  I'd suggest that when your in open world looking at a fleet it should say that TYPE of ships "2 third rate, 4 frigate" once your in battle, you find out exactly which frigates and which third rates you face.

Beat me to naming Niagra as another snow.

How do you define a snow, anyway? I  thought the snow in game is snow because it has guns in two decks, or perhaps the tall hunn structure, but if the Niagara is a snow too, then I have no idea.

A snow is a brig that has an extra mast just 6-18 inches aft of the mainmast (and sometimes foremast as well).  It is usually a stump mast and might be just a heavy cable upon which the snow sail (i.e. spanker) is set.  It's connected at the top with the adjacent mast.  Below is the brig Pilgrim, which is snowed on both the fore and main masts.

5120146824_d8d6bb3055.jpg

spaceout.gif

spaceout.gif

Edited by AKPyrate

I am not a big fan of using names of specific ships at all.

Would rather just call them all by generic names, like 38 gun frigate, or 44 gun frigate, or first rate, or 2nd rate, etc.  

Look at how ships were referred to during the time period.  Nobody referred to a 44 gun heavy frigate as a "Constitution" (unless it was actually the Constitution.)

Ships were usually referred to by the standard number of guns they carried.  

Every time I see a French or British "Constitution" it's somewhat incongruous.  

I totally agree with this post. Please keep ship's categorized and not simplified like in Potbs. Seeing names of specific ships just reminds me of Disney etc.The naval rating system works great when you become familiar with it and gives a lot of detail.

Edited by Kilo

La Renommée was a half-sister of La Sirène, both launched at Brest in 1744. The former was designed by F.-G. Deslaurier, the latter by J.-L. Coulomb. But both were mere sous-constructeur at the time and worked under the close supervision of maître Blaise Ollivier and according to his design principles.

I´m pretty sure you can call La Renommée and La Sirène an 'one-off' design.

Oh right, thanks for clearing the misunderstanding. 

It's extremely inconsistent, frustrating, and historically silly to be having "Constitution", "Trincomalee", or "Victory" as a TYPE of ship in game. Alongside other ship TYPES such as Frigate, Brig, Snow, 3rd Rate.

I've voted to change the name also due to this same reason.

I'm in agreement with other opinions given here that would wish to see some standards in naming too. Main issue that triggers my obsessive compulsive disorder is the existence of numerous copies of an individual ship and I imagine that might get stranger should the developers at some point maybe take up peoples suggestions on naming our own ships. I also must say I quite like Le Boiteux's suggestion as along with hiding that issue from the player it would also introduce more ship recognition to know what your facing, though I would to prefer using the class names than individual ship names to be displayed in the ports.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't we just make it so you could just name your own ship, like every ship you sail (as you can only sail one at a time) has the same name?

So it would read " Master and commander, Captain Obvious, sailing "The Example" a 38 gun frigate" or something in OW.

And like someone above said it just says the name and then the amount of cannons, and the type of ship.

• Like 1

Personally I would rather see ships have generic names than be named after historic ships, because to me personally it makes no sense to say dozens of players are all sailing on the Renomee or the Cherubim, but it makes perfect sense to say they are sailing on a Frigate.

Totally agree with the nature and intent of this thread.

It's extremely inconsistent, frustrating, and historically silly to be having "Constitution", "Trincomalee", or "Victory" as a TYPE of ship in game. Alongside other ship TYPES such as Frigate, Brig, Snow, 3rd Rate.

(By the way, I was of the impression that our ingame "3rd Rate" is a Temeraire-class 74, not a Bellona class. Take a look here. The Bellona as modeled ingame is actually quite different than the generic 74.)

Name everything by the class and guns. 7th rate (12), 5th rate (38), 1st rate (106). Etc. It's extremely upsetting to have every player and hundreds of NPCs sailing a ship that only one copy was made of.

Next to the hundred copies of a single ship I'd like to see that one time there will be enough ship models in the game that certain designs/ship would be locked to nations. For instance that the Constitution would only be able to be crafted by the US and no-one else. Victory for GB and Santissima Trinidad for Spain and the Russian ships for neutral faction NPCs maybe? However this is also a very tricky thing to balance right, I think. As some nations could be feeling at a disadvantage, whether or not justified, because of the ships' strong or weak points.

How do you define a snow, anyway? I  thought the snow in game is snow because it has guns in two decks, or perhaps the tall hull structure, but if the Niagara is a snow too, then I have no idea.

a snow is a sail rigging type, it has absolutely nothing to do with guns or decks.  a "snow" has two masts like a Brig, but instead of the spanker sail being attached to the main mast, it is attached to a trysail mast behind the main mast.  So technically a snow is the first three masted ship in the game.

Seems like this would be easily remedied by naming the ship for the class rather than for a well-known member of said class, as mentioned above. The tag appearance would be pretty straightforward, you could have it read:

[<Clan Tag>] Francis Tabernac

<Ship Name> (Leda-class)

We could have our ship name displayed (if that becomes an option, and however it's implemented) but have the class readily visible as well so people know what you're in. Calling out "Leda" instead of "Trincomalee" would be less irksome for those of us that're a little pickier (I get that completely). Generally speaking experienced captains would most likely be able to recognise a ship's class by visually inspecting it (by memory, memory of another officer, whatever) and this can be represented by the class showing up. For ships without a class, give it one as mentioned above. There's no reason we can't say "well, in this version of the setting that class was common, so they'd know it" and go from there. If we want some mystery involved, keep the ship name secret like the clan tag is until you're in-combat, though I don't see the point of that personally.

• Like 2

What I would like is:

-No ship, nation and rank info window when clicking on a ship in OW only player name and the options to message and attack

-Spyglass in OW

-Ensign in OW like in battle

So, now you have to look at the ship carefully and look for its ensign. Sailing directly towards an enemy somewhat hides your ensign giving some element of surprise without actually using false colours.

With more ships coming in the generic terms should be avoided I believe. The class name or the most famous of that class' ships name. Example: Trinc is Leda class, but Trinc is more known.

Edited by ShavedAlpaca

• 1 month later...

Seems like this would be easily remedied by naming the ship for the class rather than for a well-known member of said class, as mentioned above. The tag appearance would be pretty straightforward, you could have it read:

[<Clan Tag>] Francis Tabernac

<Ship Name> (Leda-class)

Yes, I personally like that every ship in the game could have its own name, with class as previously addressed.  The game could include a database of hundreds of names, or more, that you can choose from when you buy your ship in port, or else if the ship is crafted then the crafter gives it the name or could select it from a list prior to placing it up for sale.  As an extension of that, each faction could then have a register of enemy player's ships by name and class, which automatically gets updated with latest whereabouts of that enemy whenever someone from your own faction spots or encounters it.

Sunk ships get their names introduced back into the pool of names after a delay of a week or so.

None of this is necessary, but would be fun IMO, and add a little depth.

What I would like is:

-No ship, nation and rank info window when clicking on a ship in OW only player name and the options to message and attack

-Spyglass in OW

-Ensign in OW like in battle

So, now you have to look at the ship carefully and look for its ensign. Sailing directly towards an enemy somewhat hides your ensign giving some element of surprise without actually using false colours.

With more ships coming in the generic terms should be avoided I believe. The class name or the most famous of that class' ships name. Example: Trinc is Leda class, but Trinc is more known.

This,

Plus removing the historic ship names. Maybe keep them somewhere down in the discriptions when you buy or craft one. But thats enough for my taste.

• Like 1

fully agree, ships should have their own names (give ability to players to name own ships if they want..), while you could also show the ship class. I see no problem showing all frigates as "Frigates" as identification should be another skill that needs to be learned by players.. it would also make some fights more interesting, because you wont be able to quickly acess enemy power by looking at what ships he has and decide what you do... instead,let say you will see he has several frigates, but wont know for sure if those are light 9pdr frigates or heavier 18pdr variants, or even 24pdr superfrigate... same with Ships of the Line.. you would measure the power of enemy by ship count, not by knowing exactly what force he has... this would give much more variability in battles making them more unpredictable and fun.

Identification was one of the hugest things in age of sail period, traders often painted their ships with military colors, painting gun ports to confuse possible attacker.. i think it would be great if this aspect was also present in the game... so technically, it wouldnt be a bad idea instead of ship type, show its rate...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...