Game-Labs Forum

Map Tracking

I'm a bit lost. So you have a map of all the city's but why can't you hire a Navigator to track where you came from on the map. I understand some might say it's a more realistic game. But to this day 2016 we still don't have a way to teleport from on location to the next. Yet this game you can. So if you can teleport why not hire a navigator for your ship to track your ships location on a map as you sail. It's not radar it's mapping your course of sailing. 

post-16632-0-63381200-1453469891_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit lost. So you have a map of all the city's but why can't you hire a Navigator to track where you came from on the map. I understand some might say it's a more realistic game. But to this day 2016 we still don't have a way to teleport from on location to the next. Yet this game you can. So if you can teleport why not hire a navigator for your ship to track your ships location on a map as you sail. It's not radar it's mapping your course of sailing. 

the telopartation you need to think of as hopping on someones else ship and get ferried to the next port.

Also navigation is part of the game, its part of the experiance and with the use of the ingame map(m) port names and ofcourse compass you will soon find that it gets harder to get lost, when we first began with open world there was no map what so ever...

• Like 1

There`s probably gonna be tool, but they will never give you your true positition... I think the best we can ever hope, is a navigator officer or a very good chrononometer that could give your longitude once a day at noon... Which is somewhat historically accurate.

Maybe a good navigator could give your position if he sees land or see port names from afar...

But we`ll never get our exact position all the time, and i think most players are fine with it...

I made myself some tool to do some kind of dead reckoning and used it to sail from Fort Royal to New Orleans without seeing land for most of the way, and i was pretty accurate but it`s fairly complicated but i heard other using online tool to do so.

Edited by ulysse77
  • Like 3

No markers at all. I am 100% true with the devs on that one.

Its not hard to think a moment or two about where to sail. The compass is already enough to plot every course you like.

The wind is in your face? Then sail 5-10 minutes here and 5-10 minutes opposite to the wind. Voila your on the old track.

Get to know your surroundinggs and every landfall will be easier for you to know where you are.

• Like 9

I hope there will never be position on map. It would be as driving with car GPS navigation. Efficient? Yes. Fun? No, you don't look around, you just watch the small display. You don't know the cities you are passing. You never get lost. Boring. Historical.

• Like 3

As I've said before, I'd like to be able to manually estimate a position on the map and mark it (say before logging off during a longer voyage).  Other than that, showing which port you're in (and possibly if you are right outside that port and close enough to read it's name) should be quite enough.

• Like 2

I don`t think the map should show the actual position nor should there be markers. But if the Devs invent some kind of minigame to vaguely locate your position, I`d be fine with that. Of course the game map would have to include longitudes and latitudes then. Reminds me of Sid Meier`s Pirates. Ah, memories. :wub:

• Like 2

No magic position tool.

Yes standard period navigation tools. Parallel rules. Dividers. Bearing compass.

Maybe a noon sight with a sextant once a day (assuming you have a clear sky and horizon line).

Many interesting battles happened because captains were lost.

• Like 2

The only thing i'd like to have is a few tools on the map itself  :

A compass you can move above the map.

A ruler able to draw lines on the map.

A pencil tool to add some personal notes on the map.

* both compass in map and in game being a little more detailed with more bearing degrees indicated on them than now.

All those tools working a bit like in Silent Hunter series games for those who know.

I'm not sure at 100% but i believe but most Captains used to add personal notes on maps, after a while in game we will be able to have some paths drawn for our regular trading paths for example, with relatively accurate bearing angles, of course it won't be perfect as the winds will often forces you to move from the ideal path but it will help a lot while staying somewhat realistic ( from my novice point of view, feel free to correct me if i imagine things wrong ).

I also like the idea expressed above of a Navigator crew member able to determine your position once a day, more or less accurately depending the skills of the navigator hired for your ship, this will allow us to correct our course once a day during long travels.

This will add a very exiting dimension to the game for me.

• Like 5

Thanks for all the comments here. I am brand new and still trying to figure stuff out. Thought I was doing something wrong that the map didn't show my position. I totally agree if the reason it is not there is to further simulate the hardship of navigation during this time period. Actually think it will be enjoyable to need a notepad on the desk to jot down times and headings!. Another question, is there anywhere to find the proper etiquette for PVE and PVP battles. I don't understand the mechanics yet and I've seen some posts about "rats" stealing kills or interfering in battles.  

• Like 1

Its not a GPS .............The game should appeal to all types of players or it limits it's player base. 

It should also appeal to those of us who want more immersion and less 'gamey' features, such as an instant position on the map.  They didn't have it back then, and even celestial navigation was not very precise; generally it got you just latitude and your longitude was a guess.  The navigation here is not all that difficult without any leeway, current, etc. and our charts are more accurate than they would have been back then.

I'm not sure at 100% but i believe but most Captains used to add personal notes on maps, after a while in game we will be able to have some paths drawn for our regular trading paths for example, with relatively accurate bearing angles, of course it won't be perfect as the winds will often forces you to move from the ideal path but it will help a lot while staying somewhat realistic ( from my novice point of view, feel free to correct me if i imagine things wrong ).

Many charts were hand drawn by the captain/officers/pilots in the day.  I'm sure there were some well sounded areas, such as the Thames estuary, Plymouth, Brest, etc. that may have had mass produced charts, but often the officers would rely on their own personal knowledge from previous voyages in the area, guesswork based on the topography of the land, and doing their own surveying when time/weather/resources were available.  They would also copy each others' charts if they had no experience in those waters.  So, yes they could easily put their own notes on it.  Below is an example of one of Capt. Cook's earlier charts as he was learning surveying in Canada during the Seven Years War:

c311705.jpg

• Like 2

Being able to determine a position by taking noon sights would be nice for times when one is away from land for a while. Dead reckoning traced onto the map would be neat, and I wouldn't even mind if there was some inaccuracy with this. Could even introduce leeward slippage so the dead reckoning isn't an accurate plot of direction.

* both compass in map and in game being a little more detailed with more bearing degrees indicated on them than now.

All those tools working a bit like in Silent Hunter series games for those who know.

I also like the idea expressed above of a Navigator crew member able to determine your position once a day, more or less accurately depending the skills of the navigator hired for your ship, this will allow us to correct our course once a day during long travels.

Adding to the Silent Hunter comparison, being able to select a particular course by clicking a compass bearing would be nice. Could also inputt a specific heading by clicking and dragging on the compass, or typing in a bearing for when you have to be very accurate. (Sailing to Bermuda and wanting to be certain of not missing it, for instance.

I personally enjoy that there is no ownship position marker on the map to tell you where you are. It forces you to get acquainted with your surroundings and be able to visually identify where you are based on the coastline. Of course, nobody is going to have an intimate knowledge of every island and inlet, so that adds an adventurous element to the game.

However, while cartography and navigation was indeed often just a matter of mariners drawing up their own charts, there was also a fair amount of sophisticated instruments and practices that allowed vessels to navigate with efficient accuracy. I support the idea of adding a consumable you can use at your own discretion. For instance, each consumable is a "taking of one's position." It's accuracy depends on both the quality of the consumable and the time of day/visibility. If you try to use it in the dark, it won't do you much good.

When you take your position, a plotting mark will appear on the chart. This mark will remain at the exact spot you occupied upon taking the fix, so it won't tell you where your ship is at that exact moment, but rather tell you where you were so you can get a feel for where you are heading relative to where you want to go. After a certain amount of time (let's say a minute), the plotted mark will disappear.

I also think the idea of being able to use a pencil/ruler style of tool to draw lines would be nice. You could plot out the legs of your voyage and then take fixes to see how far off the mark you are. While this might seem to take away from the overall adventure of not knowing 100% where you are, recall that the fixes taken aren't all too accurate, especially if getting a quality consumable costs a shiny penny (accounting for the cost of the instrument and skill needed for accuracy). Considering how often we see fog, rain, etc. in the open world, it wouldn't be too hard to find yourself in a situation where you ventured to sea and are no longer confident as to your whereabouts. You then pray for a clear day to take a fix and determine where you are, but you only have two consumables left...

• Like 1

In my opinion there are already enough tools to navigate and nothing really needs to be added.

The only things I would add, or could imagine to be added, would be the ability to set a marker manually, so that for example in case you log out at Sea, you will remember where you have been when coming back later. Also I wouldn't mind to be able to draw a line on the map and get the info on the course like with classical nautic instrument (don't know what they are called in english).

Finally, if you really want even more, the only thing else to navigate and fitting the game would be a small sextant simulator, hard to handle (as i've heard it was in reality) due to simulated rolling of the ship and and not perfect equipment.... You could use this/enter that minigame or whatever it will be, only at noon and the weather will be considered. So if you are in a storm, there is no chance to see the sun and get your location. And if a storm is gone you have to deal with the waves...

But I firstly doubt that there will be anything the way I imagine it and secondly, and that's the funny point, those complaining about the "lack" of something to get your posotion would try it once, consider it to hard/inaccurate... but those speaking up at the moment for no further tools, will continue sailing without it, while considering the "sextant"app as a nice tool and maybe use it from time to time just for the fun of it.

PS: also navigation inclueds a lot of algebra. Like a sextant does only read out the height/angle of the sun... so the navigator has to do the maths. Oh and to get longitude and latitude you would have to constantly measure the time and watch the sun and simply guess again when you think it reached noon at your location. Compare it, do more maths.

"Congratulations, Lieutenant. It seems we finally found the origins of the Nile. For if your calculations are correct, we are currently sailing somewhere in central Afrika."

Just wanted to quote all of this :)

I love the manual navigation but the lack of tools to plot your course or a scale on the in-game map is a real problem. It's easy to sail from point A to point B with a single bearing and the wind in your favour, however if you need to repeatedly tack or you get distracted on a chase you can end up very lost indeed.

I'm quite happy to do all the calculations (bearing, speed, time, etc) as I travel but we need a way to plot our information on the in-game map. If no tools like this are added or planned by release 1.0 then I'll write an external program myself to do it, but that really shouldn't be necessary. Silent Hunter 3 is the best example I can think of for the kind of thing we need.

I also like the idea of being able to get a bearing once or twice a day, with a margin or error of course perhaps modified by officer skill, so you can make corrections to your calculations.

If anything this will add even more skill to navigation (right now it's very much "point in a direction and don't turn until you reach the next land mass") as you will be able to keep track of your course more accurately and bringing your ship/fleet into harbour as directly as possible will be a great feeling of achievement.

I did something like this last night when I needed to sail directly into the wind on a non-coastal voyage across open sea (10+ mins) where I timed each leg as I tacked using a stop watch (in fact I used a pocket watch from my collection with a ship emblem on which was rather fun!) and it was very satisfying to come across land very close to where I was aiming. However had I had to travel further and longer and so more likely with a changing wind or distractions of enemy to chase then this simple method would have broken down and I'd have also needed a way to drop some markers and lines on my map as the legs were no longer even.

• Like 1