Game-Labs Forum

Log off at after battle screen - lose your battle rewards and ship dura restored to those that did not log off and those waiting outside.

I have been thinking after another 1hr wait which meant I lost sleep for the next days work that perhaps the game should incorporate a mechanic that offers logoff at the after battle screen but warns that all rewards will be lost and durabilities and cargo that was gained un-done being given back to those they were taken from. If somebody ALT-F4s or crashes the game at the same point or before the same thing happens. The person who logged off loses the spoils and they are restored to their original owners.

In Addition a mark should appear in the open world outlining the persons name and that they have left the area by skullduggery and a small "bribe" reward given to the waiters within a radius of the logger according to how long they have been stationary within the radius.

Reputation of the loggers would also be affected negatively. So that in battle people could judge the odds the person would log by checking their rating and perhaps this would then stop people bothering. The people in battle could see a rating icon on the person that will log and tell that they have logged many times before.

This would legitimise the mechanic so people who need to go to bed do so while rewarding those that have wasted their time. It would also encourage people to come out and fight rather than log off.

I think it is fair while not requiring any game mechanic changes. It may though have an effect on those that legitimately crash during battle.

This could also be exploited by people organising the enemy to log off so they can get rewarded. But this would take collusion between nations and should be easy to see and stop when diplomacy comes into effect.

Those that crash legitimately would need to submit an F11 claim and the others would still get the rewards.

• Like 3

Great idea, presently the log off in after battle screen is one of the most frustrating features, the more so since people can be waiting for someone  who has already logged off with no way of knowing that that is the case.

• Like 2

Instead of spending time and energy to make up complex solutions to nonissues I suggest to not waste your time for empty waiting in future and accept that this train has gone and move on, next time be better and don't let them escape into result screen.

• Like 3

If they remove coordinates, remove battle markers, then maybe they can remove log off from battle.  But as long as the open world runs compressed while battles do not, you can't do this.  People must be able to log off.  Otherwise people moving at light speed can come to the battle and wait for the people in the battle to get out and gank them.

• Like 11

My solution means they can log off legitimately.

The only other solution I can think of is that the game allows for time dialation and brings the players out in a different position, but one that can be calculated. An extrapolation of direction sailed in battle but corrected for time spent sailing compressed as if it were the open world. If that makes sense. Have the battle marker move according to this as of it were a battle moving so open worlders can chase it. But at open world speeds.... With the penalties above for logging off still.

Kaos, this is a major issue and wastes a lot of peoples time and your comment while you are perhaps trolling, totally misses the point and the fact that if your not in battle you can hardly prevent them from exiting to the result screen.

Anyone within sight of the battle or within two minutes (allowing for sound) should be able to enter a battle. The present 2 min timer is fatally flawed.

Edited by Bulwyf

My solution means they can log off legitimately.

The only other solution I can think of is that the game allows for time dialation and brings the players out in a different position, but one that can be calculated. An extrapolation of direction sailed in battle but corrected for time spent sailing compressed as if it were the open world. If that makes sense. Have the battle marker move according to this as of it were a battle moving so open worlders can chase it. But at open world speeds.... With the penalties above for logging off still.

So you basically want the only people who can get pvp rewards are the people with over whelming strength and numbers at any given location right? You want it to be a prerequisite to get ganked by a revenge fleet to get your rewards. Might as well bump the timer back up to infinite while we're at it and skip the entire process; just let the revenge fleet jump you while you are in the instance instead. 

• Like 6

Kaos, this is a major issue and wastes a lot of peoples time and your comment while you are perhaps trolling, totally misses the point and the fact that if your not in battle you can hardly prevent them from exiting to the result screen.

Anyone within sight of the battle or within two minutes (allowing for sound) should be able to enter a battle. The present 2 min timer is fatally flawed.

I think your group's sailing cohesion is fatally flawed, not the game.

How come the amount of battles at any given time are so low when compared to how many battles were happening back with the old timers? Even when adjusted for a lower player population...?

How come most of those battles are ganks?

Enjoyable fights used to be around every corner. After the 2 minute timer was instated, they are nowhere to be found. Seems like a step in the wrong direction

As one who has always been involved in pvp and have seen many different iterations and different mechanics, fighting many different wars, different nations, different clans, different "metas", I think I can safely say, and I think others who have been through the same as me (like Doran), can safely say, that the amount of fair fights has actually gone up.  Before if you were solo and you attacked an enemy, it didn't matter if your ship was vastly inferior to the enemy's ship, their friends would stream to the location.  Now, that isn't the case.  I can sail in a privateer or lynx, or a rattlesnake, or a surprise, and I can engage an enemy or be engaged, and I can actually fight the battle.  I don't have to be hesitant because 10 others are going to jump into the battle that I don't know about.  I see who will be in the battle from the open world.  And yes, I can hide in the battle after I defeat that Inger in my Surprise or that frigate from my rattlesnake because I know the enemy who is carrying on in battle chat about how I am defeating them and it is unfair has called all their buddies to camp my battle location to get revenge.  Or Pagan Pete or Hethwill can hide in a battle screen outside Sunbury because they know that US Gros Ventre they just captured carrying half a mil worth of goods has called in the whole 7th cavalry to camp the battle and get revenge.

So no, limiting rewards to people who hide in battle screens is a bad idea.  Who is to say they are hiding?  Maybe they had to go to the bathroom.  Maybe they had to go to work or to bed.  Maybe their parents are calling for them or their baby is crying and their spouse wants them to take care of the baby for once.

Limiting the rewards limits real fighters while rewarding the revenge gankers on the outside.

• Like 12

The Nr1 reason to why I stayed and will continue to stay in the battle endscreen is cause there is either a superior or a very capable fleet outside which means I have to fight another 1hour plus until I can go to bed.

This last part. "until I can go to bed" Is the important one.

If I was to be forced and fight my way to port (or die my way to port) Id call it bad gamedesign.

RL is always more important than any game can be. I hope everyone sees it that way.

• Like 9

No matter the game, preventing the player from leaving the game in a straightforward manner is bad game design. Giving players the impression that they are being forced to keep playing because there will be an in-game punishment if they leave may keep a player in the game for a time, but it will leave a bad taste.

If the finished battle remained visible until everyone either left the battle or logged off from the game, the battle marker disappearing would notify anyone in the area that people had logged off, and the battle marker reappearing would notify anyone in the area that players had logged back in to a battle screen; essentially, whether by ship or by battle marker, logging back in would make you visible in the open world.

But as for the idea that people should be rewarded for lurking in the open world to ambush people leaving a battle and logging off from the battle screen constitutes skullduggery, or that players who lost a battle should have any burden of defeat lifted if the players who inflicted said defeat don't provide them with the opportunity for revenge... its a one-sided incentive for ganking.

• Like 1

I think your group's sailing cohesion is fatally flawed, not the game.

About as sensible a comment as your first one. 

Prater I would disagree on the fair fights comment, under the present system I think that is a rarity. Groups arrive attack a target they vastly outnumber and escape for the most part without retribution. On the flip side I agree people should be able to log at a reasonable time. The two minute timer though creates a situation where a gank group can pick out targets with very little chance of them being reinforced even though the targets allies can plainly see the combat. I would be quite happy if anyone who could see the fight at the time it occurred would be able to join. Then people could log off to there hearts content afterwards. 

I absolutely agree to the thread opener that there must be a penalty if someone use battle result screen - logout - exploit.

Most of the players dont want that because they wanna decide to logout at open sea after a hard fight. They want it as sink protection shield.

The only sink protection shield should be a Port.

But lets think about if there would not be a fight in every instance. If every fight is be done in open world and there are other ships are coming (like in reality)

they would join the battle to support their nation/ally. That is how the game should be. But because of the technical restrictions we are bound to a Fight - Instance - System.

So the reinforcements must wait outside. And then it cant be that the outnumbered players have a MAGIC like "Escape in Result Screen Spell" - Function

So, to be clear, you want the winning side to always be the one with the most time to spend?

You may be willing to sacrifice an hour of sleep for a game. You may be willing to pursue a chase all the way back to port, one tag at a time, however long it takes. Some of us have jobs where sacrificing sleep for a game is irresponsible.

• Like 5

No. No. No. No.

Unless you want the die-hard players to completely put the game on the shelf and leave it for you gentlemen and ladies with excess free time without any regards for personal hygiene.

• Like 3

What some have said, Time is my major argument against such penalties. Personally i never log off in battle screen except for maybe when there is dinner or when i need to go to bed or when i need to be somewhere. There are times where real life gets in the way and I would say we cant punish people for having real life. Now maybe if it happens too often in a certain timeframe such an implementation would be good, but not for everytime someone logs off at the battle end screen.

• Like 2

I agree something must be done about battlescreen, and not only log off.

Yesterday i was looking for some fights near jamaica in a renommée, and got chased by quite a large fleet composed of constitutions and renommées. They got a nice tag on me but i managed to escape, it was quite close, and after that i managed to get some distance.

But after a 10 min chase they managed to tag me again, i ran away, they came again, i used the flawed defensive tag, ran again to battle screen and alt-tabbed to rocket league for a game of two.

How is this fair to my pursuers? I was wasting theyr time while having fun myself and saved my ship without efforts.

Battle screen and defensive tags are a problem, it makes defense against "Corsairs" way too hard, long and boring.

• Like 4

The Nr1 reason to why I stayed and will continue to stay in the battle endscreen is cause there is either a superior or a very capable fleet outside which means I have to fight another 1hour plus until I can go to bed.

This last part. "until I can go to bed" Is the important one.

If I was to be forced and fight my way to port (or die my way to port) Id call it bad gamedesign.

RL is always more important than any game can be. I hope everyone sees it that way.

This is 100% right. The only people who advocate for forced battle exit is people who sit in port and wait to gangbang people in battle. Period!

To force people to either fight all the way to port or lose a ship will destroy this game OVERNIGHT.

What some have said, Time is my major argument against such penalties. Personally i never log off in battle screen except for maybe when there is dinner or when i need to go to bed or when i need to be somewhere. There are times where real life gets in the way and I would say we cant punish people for having real life. Now maybe if it happens too often in a certain timeframe such an implementation would be good, but not for everytime someone logs off at the battle end screen.

Yeah. I understand the time thing, I myself only have an hour or two each night and this generally only gives me one or max two engagements because of open world sailing time. But the thing that gets me is that it's always going to be a natural reaction for a nation to send a fleet to take care of marauders prowling the area (as in real life). It is dis-heartening to find the battle and not be able to get in and then be able to do nothing in order to hunt down the raiders. It's a game and some things are not going to be perfect. For instance voice and text communications to tell friendlies where an attack is happening is not 19c tech. But both sides have it. The in battle raiders who communicate with the scout they left outside and the fleet waiting for the "revenge" or "gank" so it is termed, but I prefer to know it as a natural defensive reaction. Something fleets in real life did albiet over an extended period that cannot be depicted in game.

Nobody in their right mind is actually going to waste hours patrolling and thus the time compression in game. The battle instance to allow for better battle physics and fighting mechanics.

We need a way whereby nations fleets are not feeling helpless against raiders who attack and then warp away with no chance for a chase. A chase that would have happened had the battle been entirely in the open world and naturally without complaints as well.

I think the travelling battle (looking like a ship on the ocean) is a reasonable solution, solving both the time compression problem by moving the battle and the problem of chasers being denied any response to what the defenders could also call "ganking". The defensive fleet waiting is simply a counter gank. \

The only problem with it being that over an hour a lot of ground can be covered.

You know what I have an idea. Open up the battle timer to unlimited. But only allow people to enter the battle at it's original start point. This would mean that people joining would be miles away from the chase. Maybe all people in the area near the battle bubble would be pulled into the battle unless they avoided the battle bubble. 

This way you could kinda sail in and out of a battle instance and when the battle is over all people appear in the open world in relative positions.

• Like 3

Yeah. I understand the time thing, I myself only have an hour or two each night and this generally only gives me one or max two engagements because of open world sailing time. But the thing that gets me is that it's always going to be a natural reaction for a nation to send a fleet to take care of marauders prowling the area (as in real life). It is dis-heartening to find the battle and not be able to get in and then be able to do nothing in order to hunt down the raiders. It's a game and some things are not going to be perfect. For instance voice and text communications to tell friendlies where an attack is happening is not 19c tech. But both sides have it. The in battle raiders who communicate with the scout they left outside and the fleet waiting for the "revenge" or "gank" so it is termed, but I prefer to know it as a natural defensive reaction. Something fleets in real life did albiet over an extended period that cannot be depicted in game.

Nobody in their right mind is actually going to waste hours patrolling and thus the time compression in game. The battle instance to allow for better battle physics and fighting mechanics.

We need a way whereby nations fleets are not feeling helpless against raiders who attack and then warp away with no chance for a chase. A chase that would have happened had the battle been entirely in the open world and naturally without complaints as well.

I think the travelling battle (looking like a ship on the ocean) is a reasonable solution, solving both the time compression problem by moving the battle and the problem of chasers being denied any response to what the defenders could also call "ganking". The defensive fleet waiting is simply a counter gank. \

The only problem with it being that over an hour a lot of ground can be covered.

You know what I have an idea. Open up the battle timer to unlimited. But only allow people to enter the battle at it's original start point. This would mean that people joining would be miles away from the chase. Maybe all people in the area near the battle bubble would be pulled into the battle unless they avoided the battle bubble.

This way you could kinda sail in and out of a battle instance and when the battle is over all people appear in the open world in relative positions.

That would be pretty cool because it would also solve the problem of the revenge fleets constant tags for hours on end because evertime they draw you int battle you can keep sailing to safty.