Game-Labs Forum

Change the name of the currency "gold" in Naval Action

1 hour ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Admin, 

On the subject of typo's PLEASE change Gold the resource to "Gold Ore". A new player looking at Gold, Gold the ingame currency and Gold coins are totally confused. It may seem easy for the old hand but not the rookie...

Norfolk

There was a topic for propose currency name a long time ago. I voted for doubloons.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

What about "Reales"? Even AC:BF used them as currency.

Spanish Dollar :)

Simply because it was most used money and reference for other currencies in the "West Indies", almost till mid 19th century.

12 minutes ago, Fenris said:

Spanish Dollar :)

Simply because it was most used money and reference for other currencies in the "West Indies", almost till mid 19th century.

(Off topic) The Spanish Dollar, Reales and Pieces of Eight are all the same currency.  In terms of name I think it should be be "Reales", Spanish Dollar sounds to modern and pieces of eight sounds to piratey. (on topic) Patch good, would be nice for Forged Papers to be craft-able (but very expensive).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Senhor Lenhador said:

(Off topic) The Spanish Dollar, Reales and Pieces of Eight are all the same currency.  In terms of name I think it should be be "Reales", Spanish Dollar sounds to modern and pieces of eight sounds to piratey. (on topic) Patch good, would be nice for Forged Papers to be craft-able (but very expensive).

Well, just a clarification...

I know its the same, it sounds better  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

Admin, 

On the subject of typo's PLEASE change Gold the resource to "Gold Ore". A new player looking at Gold, Gold the ingame currency and Gold coins are totally confused. It may seem easy for the old hand but not the rookie...

Norfolk

While I sympathise, it isn't actually gold ore. Gold and silver are precious metal precisely because they don't react, so they aren't usually found as ores.

Perhaps our currency should be given a name.instead ... as I see others have suggested

Edited by Remus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hodo said:

The funny thing is the Spanish used that currency, the French used a different one, the British have used the Pound Sterling for a LONG time... and the Americans were using the Dollar, I think the Swedes were using the Kroner then, and the Dutch I have no clue.... 

The point is there is no standard currency in the 18th-19th century.

You are right that there was no standard official currency of the 18th and 19th centuries but the Spanish Dollar (Po8/Real etc) was widely accepted globally (much more than other currencies) especially in the Caribbean.  I've found quite a few sources that refer to it as the first "global currency".  I mean I'm happy with 'Gold' being used in game but if that were to change I think the most logical would be 'Real'.  Just my two cents (or should that be pieces of eight :P)

http://therealasset.co.uk/how-to-guide/about-gold/background-gold-investing/gold-money/famous-uses-of-gold-money/spanish-silver-dollar/

http://forexesteem.blogspot.com.es/2009/03/spanish-dollar.html

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Remus said:

While I sympathise, it isn't actually gold ore. Gold and silver are precious metal precisely because they don't react, so they aren't usually found as ores.

Perhaps our currency should be given a name.instead ... as I see others have suggested

Actually, that is not true. There are gold ores, see e.g. Wikipedia.

Armenian dollar. That way, we can have millions and millions of Armenian dollars and can feel rich. 

Just kidding. I submit the ducat, thinking of EU4. It's a third-party currency that does not show favor towards any nation in game, and it's familiar to many players. It sounds cool too tbh :)

2 hours ago, Hodo said:

The funny thing is the Spanish used that currency, the French used a different one, the British have used the Pound Sterling for a LONG time... and the Americans were using the Dollar, I think the Swedes were using the Kroner then, and the Dutch I have no clue.... 

The point is there is no standard currency in the 18th-19th century.

Spanish Dollar was THE currency from 16th to early 19th century  in the New World, and first international currency as well.

Nothing funny about it, it had the REAL value, because of the amount of silver which the coins had.

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

Not in the United States it wasnt, in the First Barbary War 1801.  The barbary pirates demanded 225,000 USD from the US Government as ransom for the the sailors captured.    There is no mention of it being in Reals or in Spanish Dollars.  

The Royal Navy operated in a ENGLISH budget, the average sailor was paid a wage in pound sterling was 20-45GBP a year.   

I understand that the Real may have been the globally accepted currency for trade, much like the USD is now, or the EUD was for a while.   But to be perfectly honest I am sure most nations would have rather had good hard gold or silver instead of coin.  

I am actually not interested in a history of USA, which is totally to be ignored in the period we are playing in the game.

As you said, Spanish Dollar was the globally accepted currency FOR TRADE.

I do not care what currency Royal Navy used to pay their sailors, this ain`t the point.

" By far the leading specie coin circulating in America was the Spanish silver dollar, defined as consisting of 387 grains of pure silver. The dollar was divided into "pieces of eight," or "bits," each consisting of one-eighth of a dollar. Spanish dollars came into the North American colonies through lucrative trade with the West Indies. The Spanish silver dollar had been the world's outstanding coin since the early 16th century, and was spread partially by dint of the vast silver output of the Spanish colonies in Latin America. More important, however, was that the Spanish dollar, from the 16th to the 19th century, was relatively the most stable and least debased coin in the Western world."

(from Rothbard/Murray, Commodity in Colonial America)

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

I dont agree that it should be ignored, fact is the US had significant impact on the Caribbean during this time period.  For numerous reasons.   If we just went with dollars I would be fine with that.  But honestly does it need a name. 

Well, as far as i am concerned, i would prefere that each nation has own currency, Spanish Dollar would be the reference..

(Posted this already, sorry for repeating myself)

When I were a lad - almost as long ago as the game is set it seems - we still had coins in circulation inscribed penny, shilling and florin. Farthings and half-crowns had not long disappeared (the name half-crown was still widely used, even if the coin of that value wasn't) and crowns were still legal tender though had long since been only struck for commemorations. And these were merely the inscriptions on the coins themselves. Colloquially we had bits, tanners and bobs which you'd never giuess from either their inscription or value, and ha'pennies which are obvious when written down but when said quickly as three-'a'p'nce (a foot) is enough to confuse foreigners. And this was all in the same currency system.

I vote for Guinea.

4 hours ago, Senhor Lenhador said:

would be nice for Forged Papers to be craft-able (but very expensive).

Devs said they might return as something you can buy off steam after release to change nations.   If they where player made they could be exploited way to much.  Though an option to buy them in the Admiralty shop I could see doing.

Now back on topic.  Why not we just make gold ore gold ore and than make the gold coins gold pieces or something.  Cause we all ready have gold coins as our currency or even better.....>LET THAT BE WHAT THE COST COMES FROM<

I never understood the reason to crafbale coins we couldn't really use as our currency.

Give each country their own currency, peg it 1:1 at wipe and then see how well we do with various inflationary pressures and balance of trade by adding a currency fx market.

Nah! I'm just shi**ing with ya!

The original idea was to call Gold the resource [Gold Ore] was to make it easier for Admin's coder's to change. It would be longer to do the Gold [currency] as it interacts with not just the UI but open world and trading. I suggested this way back originally...  

Now currency. There should be just THREE.   

1. Aztec Gold - this is the main currency used in all FREEPORTs.  
  2. Pounds Sterling - Main currency used by GB, US, Dutch, Pirates 
  3. Spanish Doubloons - Main Currency used by Spain, France, Swedes, Danes  

In each regional Capital there will be 3 cross rates changed by the Dev's every maintenance. You need to buy products in a different nation with that local currency.    

If any ones interested I can explain the whole idea tomorrow. This is not an additional grind but its something that the Dev's can use to help with inflation or bolster smaller Nations.  

This I believe can help towards a player economy. EvE Online as the closest but still needs massive Dev influence as they also have PLEX which you BUY with real money and in can be converted in ISK (eve currency) This is just P2W(play to Win) and I don't recommend.    

Norfolk nChance    

(Investment Banker In the AoS)