Game-Labs Forum

Next Wipe !

So Dev's said any future char wipe will include assets like ships , money but we get to keep xp and rank .

Imagine following scenario if Dev's decide to make a wipe say maybe game full release :

My current rank is 1st Lt and I have over 250k money in cash and like 150k worth of ships and tradeable goods/material , after the wipe I start with same rank with no money and in basic cutter . My question is ,

- Am I suppose to do 2nd or 1st Lt missions in basic cutter ? Or ,

- Go back chasing Trader cutters and lynx's ?

My suggestion is that Dev's has to offer a choices for any player with rank higher than start rank , say maybe a ship that suitable with his/her rank or enough money and let us choose .

Maybe by that time we will have other ways to gain money like trade/cargo delivery and explore missions .. etc .

What do u guys think ?

Ps . Sorry if this topic mentioned somewhere else , if yes plz provide a link . 

• Like 2

Although it is perhaps not exceedingly easy in a basic cutter, alternatives to missions do exist. Post-wipe, intrepid players will be boarding much larger ships and working up that way, crafters will be churning out rank-appropriate vessels and selling them, and things will normalize very quickly. 

• Like 2

The Grey makes a very good point. Although Sir Hood believes that taking a ship by capture in a 1st Lt. mission is intrepid. In a Commandants mission is no longer an intrepid act...I believe if falls closer to the incredible act category. Possible with a few friends, highly unlikely solo. I would hope that the Developers would take this into consideration before any wipe. 

Are wipes still planned after the huge amount of players that joined ?

Well Dev's did mention there might be so we not sure yet , all I know they said we get to keep xp and rank , not sure if that include crafting .

Right now am slowing down on rank leveling , mostly sailing around discovering ports and getting their trade data so I can plan trading routes and resource gathering for crafting .

I was under the impression the last wipe prior to Steam EA launch was the final one.  If there are serious exploits, wipe the people abusing them, not everyone else who is just spending their hours playing and working hard to level.  A lot of people will quit if they have another.  I love the game, but I know I would be hard pressed to keep playing after if all the work I've put in was suddenly taken away from me. 

• Like 1

They said everything will be wiped expect your Rank (exp). They also said that if they increase the amount of exp it takes to get to a specific rank Ie you've farmed a grand total of 100,000 exp over your career but now you need 200,000 exp to be at the rank you were you will not be granted the rank just the exp. So, if rank 10 required 100,000 exp in total and now needs 200,000 in total to get to rank 10 you might be rank 8 or w/e after the wipe. At least that's how I read it.

Edited by Vandarix
  • Like 1

keeping xp is enough.

getting an other rank is fine too.

keeping ships and gold would make a wipe complete useless.

Am just saying if we get wiped I hope we get something that would help each player depend on his/her rank the means/tools to get on his feet and continue working working on his courier .

How would u feel as say Master And Commander ( rank ) to start with 0 gold in basic cutter ?

They can make missions ship dependant. I.e. you are allowed to take the mission only if you have that ship in port and you are allowed to enter into mission only in that ship.

But also, not wiping everything on release worries me a bit. Tommy Shelby will be in a 3rd rate by night one, now it took him at least 2 :-D.

I'm guessing after the wipe we will get the Early Adopter Ships back, and probably some Ships for being in EA. So you should have atleast a Renomée to start with.

And with that you should be able to do Level 7 Missions. (Atleast with one friend).

A wipe will stop this game dead in its tracks and should not be considered lightly.  I know from past experience (been gaming online since "online games" were text-based an ran through the Telnet client), and running a large gaming community for nearly 10 years.  A wipe will kill the majority of player's desire to keep playing (or at least until the official launch is what they'll tell themselves), the game will languish in development for a while with a skeleton player base, usually just diehards and fanboys, then you'll get a small bump in activity at official release (a lot of previous players won't return though because they'll have moved on to other games), and a few will trickle back over time, but in the end you'll never see your peak numbers again.

This is especially hard on the communities that form around a game and support it through their meta activities.  It's hard for us to maintain activity as it is when a game is already competing for the time of its players against an overcrowded market full of thousands of amazing games with new ones being released each week, all vying for the time a gamer has to play, but when you kill the buzz of progress, it tends to make it that much harder.  An EA launch on Steam for an indie developer without a massive advertising budget should really be considered as a first launch and treated as such.

The only way a total wipe would be acceptable now is if they adequately compensated players based on their progress made, i.e. gave them gold and other rewards depending on their attained rank to compensate them for the time they've invested.  It would likely be a fraction of what they'd actually achieved, but just leaving them with the XP gained is hardly a reason to keep playing, no matter how much you enjoyed the game, especially when it may not be the last time your invested time is taken away.

• Like 4

The gold is less of an issue, imo - as long as the xp/level is maintained.  Grinding for a ship back up from a Basic Cutter is not that bad for me given that i am only level 4 at the moment anyway.  I think I would feel differently if I was losing a high quality 4rth rate or lower ship though.  What tweaks me the most right now other than exp: crafting exp and outposts.  They both take a long time to get, and it is a little disheartening to lose them.

I hear you Hethwill. Some aspects of this game are very time consuming though, and some players (myself included) have a limited number of hours to spend in the game - thus losing progress can be particularly painful.

They certainly can make part of it up through redeemables or other boons.

Edited by TaranisPrime
  • Like 1

I hear you Hethwill. Some aspects of this game are very time consuming though, and some players (myself included) have a limited number of hours to spend in the game - thus losing progress can be particularly painful.

They certainly can make part of it up through redeemables or other boons.

As a family guy I hear you. And yes, that is why they stated Rank XP should stay.

One other thing not yet mentioned, the elephant in the room if-you-will, is that fleets (clans) would have to carry over as well for a many number of reasons.  How do you think they would accomplish that?  Keep it attached to the original founder?  What if he/she never comes back?  How would they carry over the entire roster even if they do?  What if someone doesn't recreate their character, or changes names since XP has been tied to Steam ID and not character name as of the last patch?  Would we have to work up to 100K as quickly as possible each wipe and hope no one has claimed our fleet's name (or tags) just to troll?  How many people would these fleets lose each wipe?  For MilitaryGamers.com we at least have a community where everyone is registered and can find their way back to us, but for a lot of Naval Action only fleets, it would crush them further pushing people away from the game.

These are serious issues that would need to be addressed before a wipe can even be considered.

All valid and hope the devs look to them. So far they never failed in their vision for the game though.

There are still a lot of world mechanics to implement if you rummage through development threads.

The wipe situation is not IF but more WHEN.

Well with the threat of a wipe on the horizon I have completely lost the will to play the game hehe, no point wasting time building stuff if I am just going to have to do it all over again after the wipe.  I am just going to wait until the wipes stop until I play again.  It is a shame because I enjoy it but i guess my own fault as i should have researched before i bought it.