Game-Labs Forum

Pace of ship combat

Let me 1st start off saying that im new to the game. But after hitting a few ships they need to do something about how long it takes to sink other ships. I dont want to spend 20 mins trying to sink one NPC ship, the pace of a battle needs to be faster.  

Let me 1st start off saying that im new to the game. But after hitting a few ships they need to do something about how long it takes to sink other ships. I dont want to spend 20 mins trying to sink one NPC ship, the pace of a battle needs to be faster.  

Honestly, the pace is fine as it is, when you get more experianced it will take less time, also note we are playing a more realistic age of sail ship game, where combat usually was slow, we arent playing world of warships after all

• Like 8

There is still something up with the Lynx. It has a preternatural ability to stay afloat with all integrity gone. I suspect a bug.

However, you will feel different about the pace if you engage in a 10 v 10 melee with players rather than a 1 v 1 against AI.

I'm not sure but i suspect that people might be confusing slow with unrealistic.... maybe not.

I think the navigation, ship speed, turning etc etc is great, (i know nothing about ships) but i feel like the cannons do next to nothing in terms of damage.

Surely 6-10 flying 9pd Cannonballs would rip a ship asunder and cause unrepairable damage, so why sometimes does it take 10 broadsides to sink something? I think increasing the damage of all weapons by 10-20% would make life of the sea a little scarier :) - and make mistakes harder to pay for.

Gav

The pace is quite beautiful and I've never felt a lack of things to do during battle, which is a nice accomplishment of this game.

One thing that I would like to see is more sinking routines. A ship holed entirely on the port side should list and sink to port; currently every ship settles into the water straight downwards. Shooting the transom off and holing the stern should cause the ship to eventually bob straight up in the air and sink vertically.

There quite a few ways a ship can sink, I'd like to see more than just straight down bathtub-settling style.

• Like 1

I'm not sure but i suspect that people might be confusing slow with unrealistic.... maybe not.

I think the navigation, ship speed, turning etc etc is great, (i know nothing about ships) but i feel like the cannons do next to nothing in terms of damage.

Surely 6-10 flying 9pd Cannonballs would rip a ship asunder and cause unrepairable damage, so why sometimes does it take 10 broadsides to sink something? I think increasing the damage of all weapons by 10-20% would make life of the sea a little scarier :) - and make mistakes harder to pay for.

Gav

In history, largers ships spend hours blasting each other and in the end, usually did not sink at all. French ship of the line Vengeur du Peuple did sink only after being blasted for four hours nonstop by a similiar ship and being helped by other.

Trafalgar lasted 5 hours of pretty much nonstop shooting by all ships.

It is just quite difficult to actually sink something that has tendency to naturally float, therefore historically most cases were decided by boarding or by surrender (when captain decided that he cannot win and that he will not risk his and his crew's life).

• Like 1

The pace is quite beautiful and I've never felt a lack of things to do during battle, which is a nice accomplishment of this game.

One thing that I would like to see is more sinking routines. A ship holed entirely on the port side should list and sink to port; currently every ship settles into the water straight downwards. Shooting the transom off and holing the stern should cause the ship to eventually bob straight up in the air and sink vertically.

There quite a few ways a ship can sink, I'd like to see more than just straight down bathtub-settling style.

I'm pretty sure it's how it usually went down in these times, due to lack of compartmentalization, the water spreads evenly in the bilge. 

Might depend on the ship design.