Player characters limitations vote.

902 members have voted

1. 1. How many characters

• 1 character per account
    • 3 characters as before
  2. 2. Neutrals

• Keep neutrals
    • Remove neutrals

I really would like to be able to sail under different flags.  Perhaps because I have several nationalities in RL, I would love to be able to sail Pirate, French and US for example - maybe even other nations if i get some friends to join the game.

Granted I have not yet spent much time on the pvp servers - but I don't really get the 1 players per account thing yet - unless you start have map/territory conquests like certain games (eg: Heroes & Generals) where you start resetting the map at the end of each war because one nation successfully swept the board.

I think instead of having a limit to one character we should instead have a system where you have an Account name that displays along with your characters, the way that Startrek Online, or Guild Wars 2, or Elderscrolls Online do it. Friend lists and whispers etc. all run through the account name, not the character name, so that way people can't easily abuse multiple characters to act as spies and infiltrate other guilds, which I guess is the main concern people have when they say you should only be allowed to have one character.

Personally I don't think limiting characters really helps anyways though. Someone who's obsessed enough with a game to create a spy character and pretend to be friends with people in a game just to screw them over isn't going to get stopped by having to buy a second account. Seen it all before in Eve, there were no-lifers running dozens of accounts just because the game rewarded it in a variety of ways.

• Like 1

i understand what your saying that if people have multiple accounts it would be bad in the sense of they can just fight on the winning side and that not fun,

so why not do a system that you pick your side before making a character then you can make 2 different characters but don't have the problem of them nation jumping,

but if they want to change sides then they have to delete both characters and both start again in another nation.

I think if you can do that then everyone wins

Edited by JohnRun

Personally I don't think limiting characters really helps anyways though. Someone who's obsessed enough with a game to create a spy character and pretend to be friends with people in a game just to screw them over isn't going to get stopped by having to buy a second account. Seen it all before in Eve, there were no-lifers running dozens of accounts just because the game rewarded it in a variety of ways.

This.

but if they want to change sides then they have to delete both characters and both start again in another nation.

I think if you can do that then everyone wins

No they don't, because you're still unable to see content of the game because of a reason that could be solved by other easier means (the in-game mechanics) that don't restrict the player. 

Letting people have multiple characters but all on the same nation doesn't improve anything. People won't want to grind twice just to have a new character name, people will want to experience the other nations in the game.

If balance between factions is a concern, then there could be a cap / proportional limiting system in place.

I personally like the underdog groups rather than the easy Zerg.

To allow people to play different sides, there could be a period national selection every so often - similar to Heroes n Generals' selection at the beginning of every war.

One character per account. Only way to have a Nation system... Sure someone could buy a second account but hey that makes you guys some extra money towards development.

Remove Neutral Nation unless you can make them super unique. Special trading ship, bonuses to crafting, can be mercs for other nations, can fly false flag for a limited duration, ect. If they aren't unique they aren't needed.

As Frost said:

Neutrals should be something special! Like Switzerland ;) Event Hitler didnt attack them. Maybe something like:

• few ports
  • very hard to attack (support from every nation battle ships in reach)
  • Good for making big profite, trade or capture
  • able to get into every Port
  • rich on stocks of every Product, even exotic or rar stuff

The one character per account is not clear if you start the game. You should make a notice popup on creation. And you should show the ingame map with the start pos.

At the beginning I have choosen an easy nation (US) but at the end I would prefere something Harder. So I am forced to delete and create a new Char and level up again. If its just one char per Account It would be nice to to have the possibility to change Nationality once or every 30 Days or so, or pay 3€...

One character per server, not account. No shared xp and no faction change. No problem with spying and you can still try diffrent nations.

Keep neutrals but make them opose faction that starts dominating the map or attacks them the most. Helps balance, keeps players busy and makes sense - opose those who endager you'r interests.

As Frost said:

Neutrals should be something special! Like Switzerland ;) Event Hitler didnt attack them. Maybe something like:

• able to get into every Port

This is exactly why they were removed. Their ability to get into every port made them able to completely drain other nations' resources.

@Admin

Why does this matter anyway? You already have people with multiple accounts on different nations. The way I see it is that you have two options:

1. Let everyone have multiple characters

2. Limit everyone 1 to account and ban those using multiple accounts.

• Like 1

Yeah... except for the part about not being possible to ban anyone for having multiple accounts.

It is always an uphill struggle to enforce such a rule, as there are always ways around it. One method would be to limit an I.P address to a nation (so that family members/housemates can still play together as long as they are on the same nation), however there will always be the option of using a proxy to circumnavigate that.

The issue at hand here is people using multiple accounts to cross-team and sway the tide of power. For example, there are a group of British players in SLRN who have second accounts that are Spanish. This potentially allows them to switch accounts when they see their ally under attack and defend it as Spanish players.

The idea behind neutrals is good, unaligned players doing their own thing. What will really happen is people will abuse the neutrality to circumvent restrictions on the nationals. Especially if you can have more than one character.

The whole "people will buy new accounts anyway so let them have more characters" argument is a load of rubbish. Don't make it easier for them if it's going to be a problem. One character, and if people really want more they can buy them. Like people keep saying, they're going to do it anyway.

Neutrals ? Why would people be considered neutrals ??

If you're trading and selling goods to a port, you're basically giving them ressources they couldn't get into. As such, if a nation is at war against this faction, they have the perfect right to sink your ship in order to make a blockade...

There are no neutrals in geopolitics, only people more or less aligned toward protagonists.

So there should not be any neutrals in game.

The whole "people will buy new accounts anyway so let them have more characters" argument is a load of rubbish. Don't make it easier for them if it's going to be a problem. One character, and if people really want more they can buy. Like people keep saying, they're going to do it anyway.

It's not at all.

Making something difficult isn't the same as preventing (and fixing) something. Nothing is solved by just making it difficult for people to do - the issue will still continue and have an impact the game.

they're going to do it anyway.

if people really want more they can buy them

This makes absolutely no sense to support the idea of 1 player character limit.

You say in your own words that the problems will continue regardless of this change, so it's no change that should be wanted or made.

Why are you not asking for a change that actually FIXES the problem and prevents this issue?

The fact you think people should be able to pay mre money just to have multiple player characters is also absurd. It makes the problem worse and doesn't help anything.

What's your ACTUAL reason for wantig a limit on multiple player characters? Because it's clear that you don't actually want the problem fixed or it even to have a limit properly enforced.

Secretly I just want to mess with everyone and write bogus filler content on the forums in an effort to look smart in front of internet people.

I'm glad you're here Gumby, you must be working closely with the devs I suspect? You seem very factual with everyone you say, obviously you have inside knowledge that we don't.

Secretly I just want to mess with everyone and write bogus filler content on the forums in an effort to look smart in front of internet people.

I'm glad you're here Gumby, you must be working closely with the devs I suspect? You seem very factual with everyone you say, obviously you have inside knowledge that we don't.

I have no idea what you're trying to say or argue.

I agree with 1 character per server.

Cross-teaming in PotBS became a huge problem.  People are going to do it anyway with multiple accounts, so why encourage it by allowing multiple characters of different factions on the same server.

I voted for Neutrals.  Maybe like a Free Trader class?  Maybe restricted to a certain line of ships?  If you have folks that want to haul stuff around, it only helps the game, so don't make it tough on them.

Edited by Heibges
  • Like 1

So I bought this game a few days ago after repeated calls from two groups of friends that play this game. I have been enjoying it so far, except for one problem: I can't actually play with both groups.

One group of friends is playing on EU1, I have been playing with them for about 15 hours now. The other group, however, is playing on a different server AND as a different faction. I can imagine not being allowed to have multiple characters being a factor in spying (even though I firmly believe people will spy anyway - long time EVE online player here) but I really don't understand why I am not allowed to have 2 seperate characters across the two EU servers. I think the spy propaganda has gone too far, and the gameplay is being needlessly restricted. Being allowed 1 character for a 40 euro early access game is kind of ridicilous imo.

IF the paranoid players apparently get their way here, can we at least get 1 different character per server instead of 1 in EU and 1 in US?

I would say 1 character per account and remove neutral characters. Too many exploits with neutrals as they can't get attacked by any other nation but Pirates( not a nation :P ). They can however join every battle and choose a side. They can also enter every port BUT Pirate.

I still want to see characters bound to servers so we could make multiple characters but only 1 per server. I would love to start a Pirate character on PvP2 just to have some fun PvP battles with other pirates. Unfortunately this is not possible and I don't see a reason not to allow this.

So I bought this game a few days ago after repeated calls from two groups of friends that play this game. I have been enjoying it so far, except for one problem: I can't actually play with both groups.

One group of friends is playing on EU1, I have been playing with them for about 15 hours now. The other group, however, is playing on a different server AND as a different faction. I can imagine not being allowed to have multiple characters being a factor in spying (even though I firmly believe people will spy anyway - long time EVE online player here) but I really don't understand why I am not allowed to have 2 seperate characters across the two EU servers. I think the spy propaganda has gone too far, and the gameplay is being needlessly restricted. Being allowed 1 character for a 40 euro early access game is kind of ridicilous imo.

IF the paranoid players apparently get their way here, can we at least get 1 different character per server instead of 1 in EU and 1 in US?

Your doing it wrong.

I have a Pirate on US2 and a US merchant on US1 (that I never play).

I don't know why you think that is a limitation.  In fact it's so good, the XP you earn on one will be added to the XP on the other, so playing on two servers actually progresses you on two servers.

Hella good deal if you ask me.