Game-Labs Forum

Discussion - Player ship selection 1st Half 2016

jodgi

Bellona-class (swedish, starting 1782)

oONpgW9.jpg?1

Rota (danish, 1801)

af Chapman (swedish, 1803, not sure if she carried light or long 24-pounders)

After reading all your discussion about "true" 18/24 frigates these are the ones we have left? Not counting the brit/french...

Rota is in the poll. af Chapman, would that be like the "Wasa" in the poll?

I'd click at the Swedish Bellona class but I don't know enough to make a proper poll post with plans and correct info.

On 10/11/2015 at 7:46 PM, jodgi said:

After reading all your discussion about "true" 18/24 frigates these are the ones we have left? Not counting the brit/french...

Rota is in the poll. af Chapman, would that be like the "Wasa" in the poll?

I'd click at the Swedish Bellona class but I don't know enough to make a proper poll post with plans and correct info.

That´s the af Chapman :)

47, 20m length p/p

11,9m    breadth

26*24-pounders

14*24-pounder carronades

And we had a Bellona-class frigate (or better: a frigate very similiar to the Bellona-class Venus) in the last poll and it didn´t make, so...;)

Edited by Malachi

After reading all your discussion about "true" 18/24 frigates these are the ones we have left? Not counting the brit/french...Rota is in the poll. af Chapman, would that be like the "Wasa" in the poll?I'd click at the Swedish Bellona class but I don't know enough to make a proper poll post with plans and correct info.

Dutch Eendracht of 1797 had main battery of 28x 24pdrs (unknown length and weight) and 16x 12pdrs on QD/FC. It is in the suggestion thread.

http://warshipsresearch.blogspot.com/2014/07/dutch-44-guns-frigate-eendracht-1795.html

Dutch Amfitrite of 1797 carried 28x 24pdr main battery in British service after capture in 1799. Don't know Dutch armament, but was probably the same as Eendracht. She is not in the current suggestion thread, but plans are in the Dutch ships collection thread.

These are larger and more heavily armed than British Endymion, Danish Rota or Swedish Venus*, although not as large and heavily-armed as Forte / Egyptienne. But they are Dutch!

*on threedecks.org some ships of Swedish Bellona class (including Venus) are listed as 156 x 40ft, but others are listed as 190 x 36ft (!) long. Not sure if plans of the longer ships are available. Surely they were exceptionally long and narrow if that is correct.

We were asked to consider usefulness for this particular poll.

Where was that request? I don't see it:

Hello Captains.

Ships from the previous voting's are almost finished, with the exception of the Indefatigable, and will be delivered for testing in the near future.

Please propose vessels for the first half of 2016.

The process is as usual:

• This topic will be used for collection of proposals.
  • After some time best proposals will be brought to voting
  • Voting will determine 2 ships that we will do based on player suggestions
  • 1 ship will be selected by developers as a wild card
Proposals could include:
  • Wooden (old or new) models of the ship or ships of the same class (sister ships)
  • Drawings (old or new) of the ship or the ship of the similar class (sister ships)
  • Tech drawings if any
Limitations:

We want to bring ships from underrepresented nations into this voting; thus English/US/French vessels proposals are discouraged. Spanish, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Portuguese, maybe German built ships are encouraged.

EDIT

Please limit the proposals by 1 ship per post - posting a picture of the vessel (or a chart or a drawing). We will judge the popularity of the vessel by player likes of the post.

Look at the bottom of the first post, edit by Henry:

Edit - H. Darby (Information based on the previous Ship Suggestion thread for 2015):

Ships from the years: 1670-1825 are acceptable.

1730-1790 is preferred

Please, when suggesting a ship, ask yourself - is this something that will be useful in the game, and that people will enjoy sailing and also, if it's a warship, fighting in/against?

Talking about usefulness (that quite depends on your playstyle and ingame "job") and "enjoyability" (that depends on... what you personally like), as there will be 3 chosen ships (2 by us, 1 by the devs), I really hope there will be :

- 1 trader ship,

- 1 unrated warship (brigantine, sloop...),

- 1 frigate.

I'd say that a dedicated trading/exploration ship would be useful and would also have a very unique aesthetic seen in no other ship. But if it doesn't make the voting, then so be it.

+1. The only exploration ships I've heard of are french or english. Are there exploration ships from other nations whose plans are known ?

Geez, guys, we have an embarrassment of riches in the suggestion thread. I'm paralyzed by indecision.

Also, it looks like the biggest crowd-pleasers are two very obsolete SoLs, an out-of-timeline Greek frigate, and some rather ugly pseudo-frigate two-deckers that can't have sailed very well.

Any chance we could get a groundswell going for one of the true 4th Rates, a merchant vessel or a lugger?

• Like 1

+1. The only exploration ships I've heard of are french or english. Are there exploration ships from other nations whose plans are known ?

Spanish corvettes "Descubierta" and "Atrevida"

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6819-spanish-corvette-descubierta/#entry128986

Edited by RAE_Cmdt.Cavero
  • Like 2

+1. I really like it. 

We need corvets and light frigates. We also need exploration / trader ships. And we need nice looking vessels. All in one.  :)

For expedition and cargo shipment purposes, the 14x6lbs and 2x4lbs version could defend herself against small ship (up to brig ?). She may also fill in the gap between the 12-gun pickle and the 18-gun brig.

The stronger armament (26 guns) would also be interesting (as an option) by making her a real warship corvet, a kind of lighter Cerberus, for brig and mercury hunting, coast patrolling, trader attacks... 

I definitely vote for her.

Edited by LeBoiteux

+1. I really like it.

We need corvets and light frigate. We also need exploration / trader ships. And we need nice looking vessels. All in one. :)

For expedition and cargo shipment purposes, the 14x6lbs and 2x4lbs version could defend herself against small ship (up to brig ?). She may also fill in the gap between the 12-gun pickle and the 18-gun brig.

The stronger armament (26 guns) would also be interesting (as an option) by making her a real warship corset, a kind of lighter Cerberus, for brig and mercury hunting, coast patrolling, trader attacks...

I definitely vote for her.

I will try to find information qbout ber armament.

• Like 1

Also, it looks like the biggest crowd-pleasers are two very obsolete SoLs, an out-of-timeline Greek frigate, and some rather ugly pseudo-frigate two-deckers that can't have sailed very well.

Any chance we could get a groundswell going for one of the true 4th Rates, a merchant vessel or a lugger?

Dortrecht and Zeven are useless? pfft, even I could see that and I know (almost) nothing.

You think Prinds Christian Frederik and Wasa are ugly and didn't sail well? <shrugs> Eendracht/Amphirite is a runner up in the votes right now, does that please your aesthetic taste?

Whether the pseudos sailed well doesn't matter much. It's not like we have performance sheets to base the modelling on.

Don't sit on your hands maturin!

Make a post with an eligible ship that is in the neighborhood of trinco/connie, tell us why we should click, and I'll click it. Most of us know little and care little for the history bit, and I only want more choice where it matters for gameplay. Two ships have reigned supreme since Sea Trials and my only motivation for spending time in this sub-forum is to see they get some competition.

Then there is the Spanish...

Did they really have no 18/24 frigates to superfrigates? I'd love to click at a Spanish contender, but all I see are those big and slow waffenträgers.

Your groundswell...

I'd help you with the 4th rate (maybe), but have no idea what to click.

Maturin, im just going to trow this thought out there, maybe the very obsolete SOL's don't necessarily have to be modern day rivels to the connie.

I mean, speed and mobility wise they will most definitely lose to it, yet made of stronger side structure would make them interesting vessels against AI and, in groups, against players.

It would add some diversity to the 50-gun ship variety, which it surely could use.

EDIT:

just like some may deem the surprise obsolete, it would give different types of ships its own strength.

Edited by SteelSandwich

Are we trying to find potential trinco/connie rivals?

Maturin, im just going to trow this thought out there, maybe the very obsolete SOL's don't necessarily have to be modern day rivels to the connie.

Keep in mind it is mostly me nagging about ships in the trinco/connie league. Also keep in mind that speed makes or breaks a ship's usefulness in this game. Just look what happened to the Frigate and the Belle Poule. Belle is so pretty, turns well, is better protected and has more guns than a frig. Frig is slightly faster and has bow chasers so almost all competitive players would pick it instead of the belle.

Keep in mind it is mostly me nagging about ships in the trinco/connie league. Also keep in mind that speed makes or breaks a ship's usefulness in this game. Just look what happened to the Frigate and the Belle Poule. Belle is so pretty, turns well, is better protected and has more guns than a frig. Frig is slightly faster and has bow chasers so almost all competitive players would pick it instead of the belle.

First thing comes to my mind is, why wast every bellona captain sailing a pavel then?

Because pavels were nearly not used at all, whilst there only advantage was their speed.