Game-Labs Forum

Planking quick question.

Hi,

good, longer lasting ships make battles last longer as well.

NPC dont seem to be using survivability mode, that results in ships sinking with 80% armour, because leaks dont get plugged.

If NPC would plug the leaks , the battles will be more realistic on that part.

Just wondering if NPC arent going to be too strong for a completely new player, but thats off topic.

Grtzzz Bubbles

I think there are several NPCs which pump and some which dont.

Skilldifference?

My concern here is the rate of gunloss we have atm.

Yesterday I ended up with 70% of my guns in working condition but still over 80% armor on that side.

Bevore repairing: 6 guns after repairing: 10 and 9 guns out of 13. and the 80% armor.

I dont know if thats good or bad in the long run.

Historical this seems reasonable.

its good. before if you fired off double, tacked fired the other side, then wore, reloaded with ball on the original side, fired -  the opposition player was wrecked.

now more work is required to sink bots and players. it is encouraging better aim, less snap shots etc.

i also like how more hull planking means less spd. IMO there should be disadvantages for all modules to steer ppl from just using speed and firing mods - rendering all the rest moot.

• Like 1

didn't help here lol But once the AI prob is sorted it should make the battles longer, although i have had many going a fair while anyway. For people who have less time it may mean they do not get more than a single battle in there free play time... not truely sure how long it has increased battle time as the ai spawning in large numbers makes it tricky to work out so far.

dafock_zpsqxtkrp5s.jpg

Edited by MikedaBike

I think it's great.   We are losing more guns over the course of a battle, but loss seems okay relative to hull integrity.  I'm only really losing lots of guns fighting large numbers of AI, which makes sense to a degree.  As others have mentioned, the AI does not seem to be managing leaks well.

My only concern is that if hull planking is increased it will lead to people dismasting and graping as a rule in pvp. But i have not tested new grape changes yet and i don't know if you increased mast hp as well. If you did not you should probably consider keeping mast to hull hp ratio as it was before as i found it to be perfect.

• Like 1

I was surprised by how little a difference it made, honestly. (Which is to say, increasing it further would pose no problems.) It's been a good long time since I've been in a big fleet battle, so the increased planking probably had a positive impact there that I didn't notice.

• Light vessels like Lynx seem to go down just as fast, especially when it comes to large guns
  • The AI's lack of aggression in targeting their guns makes it very easy to survive large AI battles. They only chip at your health (otherwise the new repairs would bankrupt you)
  • Frigates stand up to SoLs for longer
  • The Snow is now enormously tough

My only concern is that if hull planking is increased it will lead to people dismasting and graping as a rule in pvp.

Most nations sought to dismast 'as a rule,' and everyone used grape. So I don't see the problem.

When it comes to planking, the only change that will really matter to me is the change that stops ships from sinking 95% of the time.

Maybe boost the repair costs again but make NPCs surrender before sinking. Remove the gold earned for damage dealt and balance great expense with great reward for selling prizes.

• Like 1

Since the battles now last longer ( compared with pre-patch 3) I think an extra repair for everything wouldnt be such a bad thing.

I like it. I dont like the gunloss. It is too much over the course of a battle.Realism is okay, but if loose almost 20 cannons on 1 side on my bellona, it is just painfull to watch and sail. I think a max of 25% of cannonloss per side is acceptable and still realistic.

• Like 1

Since the battles now last longer ( compared with pre-patch 3) I think an extra repair for everything wouldnt be such a bad thing.

I like it. I dont like the gunloss. It is too much over the course of a battle.Realism is okay, but if loose almost 20 cannons on 1 side on my bellona, it is just painfull to watch and sail. I think a max of 25% of cannonloss per side is acceptable and still realistic.

And separate the rudder and pump repairs.

Does the planking # change the physics at all? 

I have noticed that with a bellona it is much harder now to get through the first 15%-20% of a 1st rate damage. If increasing the # also changes the Penetration than i'd so leave it.

Armor thickness and armor "healthpool" are two seperate stats.

However they do have a connection. The armor effectiveness so to say is better when your HP is high. When your armour gets reduced the enemy shots tend to penetrate more often. Thats why ships go down rather fast once beeing under 50% or so.

(I hope that explanation did explain something)

The ratio of plank strength across the board to penetration could be increased even more, battles in the age of sail ended because of the loss of the ability to return fire, due to gun loss and crew loss, rather than sinking.

Actually could you change the 'surrender' button name to 'strike colors'?

Actually could you change the 'surrender' button name to 'strike colors'?

Surrender needs to be redesigned and thought through better. Right now there is no point to strike colors. 

If we change the feature that you keep durability when surrendering this can create an infinite supply of vessels.

make it so that if somebody surrenders, he will keep his ship (no dura loss) and can exit the battle but give the other captain a choice to either accept it or not (that should be not spamable) maybe even with a combination of a fixed price payed as ransom (and in future cargo hold)

Surrender needs to be redesigned and thought through better. Right now there is no point to strike colors.

If we change the feature that you keep durability when surrendering this can create an infinite supply of vessels.

I thought that the original plan was for surrender to reduce repair costs, but now there are no repair costs if you suffer total loss in battle. So truly there is absolutely no reason to surrender, and maybe even incentives to behave suicidally if it will cause your opponent to suffer repair costs.

Officer / crew loss (if not in crew numbers then in some experience factor) is the best way to make surrender an attractive option and force players to weigh the cost / benefit of suicidal behavior.

maybe: surrender = no dura loss but massive repair cost (even without battle damage to avoid exploits)

So essentially you get a choice of keeping durability on your beloved $ship with a huge premium attached or lose one life.

A convenience for rich captains and a gold sink.