Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta v1.1 Feedback<<< [RC 6]

Nick Thomadis

On the subject of invasions :

They work quite well. You have to put your task forces on "Invade", move at least 100000 tons near the intended assault area and go to the "Politics" screen. Seek out the nation you want to invade. In the actions section (where you can increase tension and the like), you will see a button called "Naval Invasion". Press this and survive 3-5 rounds of everything the enemy throws at you. Your attack may be repelled, but it works just fine.

What is a real pain are the severe lags. Previous the game worked smoothly, even larger battles were not THAT much of a pain. But now it is much, much worse. A normal battle feels like a stop-motion movie and don't even try to mouse-over an enemy vessel.

What's new that it is so much worse than before?

52 minutes ago, Lima said:

Has anyone managed to land on the main territory of the US?

When I first concentrated 100,000 tons in the region, I pressed the invasion button, but nothing happened. Since then, the button has been gray.

in1.jpg

39 minutes ago, Darth Khyron said:

Very possibly the changes to the fire control system.  Now you have a very distinct automatic fire control system that is attempting to control the secondary guns on either side of the ship.  The issue comes where it cannot quite decide on what it wants to target, so it jumps from target to target, costing processing power.  Not to mention the chance to hit when mousing over a ship now is calculated in real time instead of grabbing the momentary value and displaying that as a unchanging value.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Plazma said:

why you have the opinion that the AH is the worst nation at the moment? They are for me boring, but somehow in 1900 they are pretty good and funny. I enjoy them the most at this moment (compared to FR, JP, USA, German, Chine)

While geographical location, income, availability of oil and bonuses/penalties from the type of government are important, this game is built around a ship designer. Ergo, faction set of hulls It is a essential.

For example, just look at this variety!

fO1Nd3v.jpg

EghK9zd.jpg

2caCuAu.jpg

S4kXUNm.jpg

aufXmrR.jpg

...it's literally one and the same hull. Seriously, it's worse than not historical  - it's boring. The hull of the battleship itself is not bad, and even a limit of 5 inches in the casemates is acceptable, you can increase them to 5.9 inches anyway and get version of Habsburg-class battleship.

The same thing about CA III hull -  you can even build some kind of SMS Kaiser Karl VI even if it looks completely wrong.

But Erzherzog Karl-class battleship and SMS Sankt Georg СА completely closed, since 190mm guns in casemates are simply impossible on early AH hulls displacement of 10.500 or less.

Fast CA this is a copy paste of the old ВВ hull and with a stability of 25 plus 2'' casemates, it's just junk. Experimental CA It's not bad, but I don't see anything typical of Austria-Hungary in it like a bunch of QF 150-190mm guns in the central casemates. It's still better than nothing, I guess.

Early light cruisers are a typical set of junk, no better and no worse than many. Why the developers banned 6-inch guns in the casemates of light cruisers, I don't have any ideas.

When you enter the Dreadnought era, hulls becomes more diverse, but again, you don't get anything that other factions lack. Well, at least you have this archaic large torpedo boat, lol. By the way, this is a lot of progress, previously the player was stuck with the TB until something like 1910, when the DD2 hull appeared.

The problem with Austria-Hungary in the game,  is that you don't have anything that other factions wouldn't have. At the same time, other factions have unique and interesting hulls that are interesting to play with.

Of course, sometimes it's trash like Russian and French BB pre-dreadnoughts, or a German copy paste 

A1WGlzc.jpg

but in general, unique hulls are interesting. Austria-Hungary, unfortunately, lacks unique and interesting hull.

Edited by TAKTCOM
WAR FOR IMPROVEMENT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Darth Khyron said:

On the subject of invasions :

They work quite well. You have to put your task forces on "Invade", move at least 100000 tons near the intended assault area and go to the "Politics" screen. Seek out the nation you want to invade. In the actions section (where you can increase tension and the like), you will see a button called "Naval Invasion". Press this and survive 3-5 rounds of everything the enemy throws at you. Your attack may be repelled, but it works just fine.

What is a real pain are the severe lags. Previous the game worked smoothly, even larger battles were not THAT much of a pain. But now it is much, much worse. A normal battle feels like a stop-motion movie and don't even try to mouse-over an enemy vessel.

I think it's the targeting of secondaries being constantly altered in very brief intervals [lag is most extreme when selecting 1 ship and mousing over another]

1 hour ago, TAKTCOM said:

While geographical location, income, availability of oil and bonuses/penalties from the type of government are important, this game is built around a ship designer. Ergo, fractional set of hulls It is a essential.

For example, just look at this variety!

fO1Nd3v.jpg

EghK9zd.jpg

2caCuAu.jpg

S4kXUNm.jpg

aufXmrR.jpg

...it's literally one and the same hull. Seriously, it's worse than not historical  - it's boring. The hull of the battleship itself is not bad, and even a limit of 5 inches in the casemates is acceptable, you can increase them to 5.9 inches anyway and get version of Habsburg-class battleship.

The same thing about CA III hull -  you can even build some kind of SMS Kaiser Karl VI even if it looks completely wrong.

But Erzherzog Karl-class battleship and SMS Sankt Georg СА completely closed, since 190mm guns in casemates are simply impossible on early AH hulls displacement of 10.500 or less.

Fast CA this is a copy paste of the old ВВ hull and with a stability of 25 plus 2'' casemates, it's just junk. Experimental CA It's not bad, but I don't see anything typical of Austria-Hungary in it like a bunch of QF 150-190mm guns in the central casemates. It's better than nothing, I guess.

Early light cruisers are a typical set of junk, no better and no worse than many. Why the developers banned 6-inch guns in the casemates of light cruisers, I don't have any ideas.

When you enter the Dreadnought era, hulls becomes more diverse, but again, you don't get anything that other factions lack. Well, you have this archaic large torpedo boat, lol. By the way, this is a lot of progress, previously the player was stuck with the TB until something like 1910, when the DD2 hull appeared.

The problem with Austria-Hungary in the game,  is that you don't have anything that other factions wouldn't have. At the same time, other factions have unique and interesting hulls that are interesting to play with.

Of course, sometimes it's trash like Russian and French BB pre-dreadnoughts, or a German copy paste 

A1WGlzc.jpg

but in general, unique hulls are interesting. Austria-Hungary, unfortunately, lacks unique and interesting hull.

Yes, A-H early hulls are lacking and their unique shipbuilding philosophy can not be replicated in the game. Hope A-H will get some love from the devs since it's very interesting and challenging to play.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zuikaku said:

Yes, A-H early hulls are lacking and their unique shipbuilding philosophy can not be replicated in the game. Hope A-H will get some love from the devs since it's very interesting and challenging to play.

as austrian +1 from me, although i think the hulls are more designs put into the framework and right now getting the framework work to allow a good campain seems to be more important to me. Could be different guys however i dunno.

Edited by Cryadis

3 hours ago, Suribachi said:

The issue comes where it cannot quite decide on what it wants to target, so it jumps from target to target, costing processing power.

I am lazy person, I would add some wait function after each "tick" that the Ship will re-adjust/decide about new target not every millisecond, but something like one time per 5s and give each ship different basic value +/-0.01s to have more smooth ticks/gameplay. 

check-what-ship-should-be-a-target()
wait 5s

2 hours ago, TAKTCOM said:

Yes, but for some reason I ended in no generic hulls(in other campaigns), so for me is some kind of refresh... but yes, this is valid argument. +1

UQOYnQI.png

Canada ordered from me 5 BB, and including this trade 8 CA. I have myself only 1 BB and 12 CA, little more and they would be stronger than me :D

After starting a few campaigns i always see major nations die out in 5 years due to economic collapse.
I feel like convoy losses shouldn't completely kill the economy but contribute to the victory point.

Also, instead of economic collapse it should be more like an unconditional surrender where the winners get a lot of VPs and the loser gets its fleet deleted (like ww1 germany essentially) and diplomacy reset, so that the nation keeps existing and gets a bit of time to recover instead of spiraling into death.

• Like 7

If nations don’t dissolve, then you’re potentially facing warring with the same nation for the full 50 years – war after war same old same old. IMO, dissolving nations is essential for changing the environment. 

The issue is larger nations are dissolving too early and it's where the fix is needed.

This is where minor nations could step in and balance their major ally, propping them up artificially. Giving transport protection but at the same time adsorbing some of the tension. E.g. for Britain, Australia and New Zealand could support the South Pacific region etc. but maybe with conditions, e.g. mayor ally must supply/build ships to do this.

For minor nations:

• Increase support for certain nations.

Also:

• Info on their fleet size, makeup and supporting sea region would be helpful.
  • A way to barter build options.
    • Because you may want to build ships for them but not so many or skip large capital ships that take up too much build capacity. Even a way to barter different ship classes.
    • E.g. 'Up' and 'Down' counter proposal buttons. 
Edited by Skeksis

2 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

If nations don’t dissolve, then you’re potentially facing warring with the same nation for the full 50 years – war after war same old same old. IMO, dissolving nations is essential for changing the environment. 

I have to disagree. There are many ways to prevent this, simplest is just to enforce a cool down after a peace treaty, like in basically every other wargame.

• Like 1

*Hotfix Update 16*
- Fixed potential bug that could cause ships to stall at zero speed. Please report if you get this bug again, but make sure you receive this update first.
- Campaign AI adjustments to follow all the new mechanics of the map. The Campaign AI should manage finances more effectively and train the crew more consistently.
- Fixed the issue that caused too much offset to the dispersion of shells when the target had a large angular velocity.

PLEASE RESTART STEAM TO DOWNLOAD

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 4:08 PM, Lima said:

These changes are present, the question is different. The size of the shipyard expansion does not change. 

SH1.jpg

I've been playing this game since 1890, now it's 1911. I'm still expanding the shipyard by 4K t. If I had started the game in 1910, I could have expanded the shipyard by 15K t.

Regarding this, we could not reproduce. The shipyard growth changes according to year. So in 1891 it should be different than 1890's max. shipyard growth. Do you remember if in your test, you played all campaign turns continuously, without loading a saved game?

• Sad 2

We seem to be back to the point that a ship having its paint scratched is enough to send it back to report for repairs.  Not only that, but entire fleets are going back with it.  This is making naval invasions nearly impossible to carry out as the whole f'ing fleet just nopes-off because a battleship sustained 0.5% damage.

Don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but its getting pretty infuriating.  I had 3 battleships, 6 cruisers, 12 light cruisers, and 24 destroyers sitting off the coast of Latvia invading the Soviets.  One battleship suffered (I shit you not) less than 1% damage, and one destroyer suffered 10% damage.

ALL the ships went back to port.

Edit, this is not the only time, just the most egregious in the last couple days.  1% damage should not be enough to send a battleship home, and even if it somehow did, it shouldn't send the whole fleet when there are 2 more completely undamaged battleships to take care of things.  Nor should the whole fleet be going back over 1 destroyer out of 25 sustaining a little damage.

Edited by Kane
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Kane said:

We seem to be back to the point that a ship having its paint scratched is enough to send it back to report for repairs.  Not only that, but entire fleets are going back with it.  This is making naval invasions nearly impossible to carry out as the whole f'ing fleet just nopes-off because a battleship sustained 0.5% damage.

Don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but its getting pretty infuriating.  I had 3 battleships, 6 cruisers, 12 light cruisers, and 24 destroyers sitting off the coast of Latvia invading the Soviets.  One battleship suffered (I shit you not) less than 1% damage, and one destroyer suffered 10% damage.

Sadly this has been in the latest handfull of patches. I even cheated, meaning no physical or crew damage was even done to any ships in my fleet, and the entire fleet was still sent back to repairs.

Had the repair setting to low for that TF, if that even matters

Edited by MDHansen

27 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Regarding this, we could not reproduce. The shipyard growth changes according to year. So in 1891 it should be different than 1890's max. shipyard growth. Do you remember if in your test, you played all campaign turns continuously, without loading a saved game?

Did it just now, continuous session.

2023-01-09-04-02-45.png

January 1892

2023-01-09-04-12-26.png

25 minutes ago, Kane said:

Edit, this is not the only time, just the most egregious in the last couple days.  1% damage should not be enough to send a battleship home, and even if it somehow did, it shouldn't send the whole fleet when there are 2 more completely undamaged battleships to take care of things.  Nor should the whole fleet be going back over 1 destroyer out of 25 sustaining a little damage.

What I don't like most about this is the inconsistency. I fought the fleet consisting of shared design ships and as a result, all my ships were seriously damaged (20-40% damage). The repair priority is "Very High". And... my TF does not return to the port, it stands quietly in place. Considering that a bug with RNG damage awaits them in the next battle, this is a problem.

And at the same time, a fleet with a repair priority of "Very Low" can return to port after one battle in which it will not even receive damage.

• Like 1