Game-Labs Forum

>>>Beta 1.05 Available!<<< (Update: 18, PRE-RELEASE)

Nick Thomadis

Sort of a long-standing but minor issue: 

Japanese heavy cruiser calibers (7-~10 inch) turrets are 1. way too large and 2. have barrels that are way too short, at least when compared with the turret. The model seems fine but the scaling seems very weird and incorrect. 

One long standing bug that was repeatedly called "feature" by devs. But now it seems worse because the bots once again keep running away for no good reason.

Enemy have these stealth battleships that firing from outside of spotting range and despite being equal 12v12 fight they just run away. As a result most of them just fire without being spot despite the clear weather.

That's around the range Beatty and Hipper firing at each other at Jutland BTW. Not the range they spot each other.

Removing spotting range and all unrealistic accuracy penalty will probably make 90% of the players happy. And it will take less than 2 hours of programming.

Maybe adding a "realistic spotting" option?

20220407132628_1.thumb.jpg.7446a8ba5d6af51b8e2edf748e192443.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Speglord said:

Sort of a long-standing but minor issue: 

Japanese heavy cruiser calibers (7-~10 inch) turrets are 1. way too large and 2. have barrels that are way too short, at least when compared with the turret. The model seems fine but the scaling seems very weird and incorrect. 

Like that for several nations. UK 6" turret is about 1/3rd of the size of the 7" turret.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Drenzul said:

Like that for several nations. UK 6" turret is about 1/3rd of the size of the 7" turret.

Late-game German cruiser turrets as well, yeah. The barrels are also spaced very far apart because the dual-barrel models are just the triple-barrels with the middle one removed.

Update: 15 (8/4/2022) Available

- Fixed remaining UI offset issues in campaign. Please report if you anticipate them again.
- Fixed wave motion of ships, which temporarily were not working properly (pitch, roll, list due to flooding etc.)
- Fixes in Auto-Design. It should be much faster now overall.
- Other minor bug fixes.

We are going to provide any more fixes necessary according to your feedback. Please note that the saves have been reset again.

• Like 4

Hey there,

I would like to suggest the following change to how your targets maneuver/speed/movement affect gun accuracy. 

Right now, if I am not mistaken, both of these generate a % modifier to the hit accuracy. However, I don't think that this modifier scales with the distance between you and your target. It should though - because what really matters is not how fast the target moves in absolute terms, it only matters how much it changes its position until the salvo reaches it - and this "time to hit" scales linearly with distance.  

The problem that this causes is that fast moving ships are unrealistically hard to hit at close distances.

If you are, say, 10km away from your target, their movement / maneuvering matters a lot due to the time it takes for your salvo to reach them. If, however, they are only 100 meters away, it does not really matter at all.  

Hence, the accuracy factors that are based on your targets movement should scale with distance up and beyond the "normal" distance modifier that already exists.

I.e. at a distance of 0, target's movements should not matter at all for accuracy calculation. At a very large distance, it should matter a lot. 

To give some numbers examples (made up numbers):

Chance to hit static target at 10km = 10%

Chance to hit aggressively moving target at 10 km = 5% (50% reduction as target's movement matters a lot on long distances)

Chance to hit static target at 2000m = 50%

Chance to hit aggressively moving target at 500m = 45% (only a 10% reduction as movement does matter far less at short distances)

Edited by Korn2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Update: 15 (8/4/2022) Available

- Fixed remaining UI offset issues in campaign. Please report if you anticipate them again.
- Fixed wave motion of ships, which temporarily were not working properly (pitch, roll, list due to flooding etc.)
- Fixes in Auto-Design. It should be much faster now overall.
- Other minor bug fixes.

We are going to provide any more fixes necessary according to your feedback. Please note that the saves have been reset again.

Great work. As a dev myself, I know how annoying it can be playing wack-a-mole with bugs.

4 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

We are going to provide any more fixes necessary according to your feedback.

Hull issues related to draught values.

As an example:

5S41Kff.jpg

Problems: Hull sections disconnected A & hull sections not aligned with the ocean B

Japanese navy

Japan battleship hulls

super battleship - B

modern battleship I - B

modernized dreadnought II - B

modernized dreadnought I - B

dreadnought III - B

dreadnought II - B

dreadnought I - B

battleship III - B

battleship II - B

battleship I - B

Japan battlecruiser hulls

modern battlecruiser - B

large cruiser - B

battlecruiser IV - B

battlecruiser III - B

battlecruiser II - B

battlecruiser I - B

Japan heavy cruiser hulls

modern heavy cruiser IV - A B

modern heavy cruiser III - A B

modern heavy cruiser I - B

large armored cruiser - B

armored cruiser IV - B

armored cruiser III - B

armored cruiser II - B

armored cruiser I - B

Japan light cruiser hulls

modern light cruiser - B

experimental cruiser - B

light cruiser IV - B

semi armored cruiser III - B

semi armored cruiser II - B

light cruiser IV - B

light cruiser III - B

light cruiser II - A B

light cruiser I - A B

Japan destroyer & torpedo boats hulls

modern destroyer III - B

modern destroyer II - B

modern destroyer I - B

destroyer IV - B

destroyer III - B

destroyer II - B

destroyer I - B

torpedo boat destroyer - B

torpedo boat - B

NOTE:

- The hulls with the section disconnected (A) should get a fix asap.

- The hulls with waterline not connected (B) that should get a fix ASAP should be the large hulls. In small hulls (destroyers and TBs) the difference is so small that is almost irrelevant.

A issue is the most important and will be checked to fix, thank you very much.

B is minor and known, and it does not affect anything else, than the shipyard visual representation to have the ship follow in buoyancy the waterline. Adjusting it will just open up countless problems to deal with... so we will not do anything about it, at least now.

• Like 3

Do you have in plans edit torpedo notifications? I found myself in big battles not aware of torpedo especially when they are not stealth(sic!). Simply my ships could detect torpedo 10km away and after few seconds the notification is gone. I must remember where the torpedo is to avoid it or stop game and looking on water few minutes to find these things. On that moment I don't playing the game I looking on the water to don't miss a torpedo what was found by my ships. 

I would appreciated some additional graphics on them like red triangle/dot or something like that. (see example in attachment) 

Also could we be available to set the speed of battle? I found myself cooking dinner when two bots on speed x3 from 1890 are fighting and have very low accuracy :D 

Simply in some case scenario x5 or even x10 when you want catch the enemy ship and the difference in speed is 0.1 knots is desired. 

I don't want exit the battles because the results are very far from what I expect. 

torpedo.PNG

• Like 3

@Nick Thomadis why are ship that are suppossed to anchor in Hamburg are going around Jutland and into Lübeck????? They should be moving just into the Elbe and done. This is really strange on the Map and sometimes when fleets would only need one turn to get to another Port it needs two instead were they get intercepted. 

unknown.png

It gets really annoying sometimes, a fix would be appreaciated :)

3 hours ago, Plazma said:

Do you have in plans edit torpedo notifications? I found myself in big battles not aware of torpedo especially when they are not stealth(sic!). Simply my ships could detect torpedo 10km away and after few seconds the notification is gone. I must remember where the torpedo is to avoid it or stop game and looking on water few minutes to find these things. On that moment I don't playing the game I looking on the water to don't miss a torpedo what was found by my ships. 

I would appreciated some additional graphics on them like red triangle/dot or something like that. (see example in attachment) 

Also could we be available to set the speed of battle? I found myself cooking dinner when two bots on speed x3 from 1890 are fighting and have very low accuracy :D 

Simply in some case scenario x5 or even x10 when you want catch the enemy ship and the difference in speed is 0.1 knots is desired. 

I don't want exit the battles because the results are very far from what I expect. 

torpedo.PNG

This. We absolutely need a better torpedo notification system. Biggest single improvement I can think of atm is to have it so that when you click the torpedos detected notif. it takes you to the torpedos rather than the ship that spotted them, as well as showing the yellow warning icon again.

• Like 3

I have not tried the beta after today's minipatch, but engine weights have weird thresholds now. I tried to design 45kt DD, but going over some predetermined values will have like 30 tons increase in engine weight. Like it goes like 1 tons per 0.1 kt and then at some times it goes up like 30t in 0.1 kt value.

Update: 16 (9/4/2022) Available

- Improved ship motion at sea.
- Fixed bug that could cause port strike missions to damage the port even if the defender has won.
- Other minor fixes/improvements.

This is a final release candidate to be deployed on Monday. Please report if you find any critical bug.

• Like 4

One last piece of auto-designer feedback before I hit the hay, this time featuring a repeat offender.
z4dZZEL.png
The Chinese CL hull "Compact Light Cruiser" has been the subject of some feedback before, but I swear every time this hull pops up in custom battles, there's always something weird going on with it. I probably don't have to tell you what's wrong with this one, the PT boats in Battle Stations: Pacific have a smoother ride than this.
Although, credit where credit is due, at least it's a better diver than the K Class. Not sure that's entirely what the designers were going for though.
VUZOQZJ.png
I'm not sure if this is down to the hull not cooperating well with auto-designer, or some sort of oversight by the AI, but I'll see if I can put together a build that works using this hull. While I've seen this sort of thing on other ships before, it always seems to be completely excessive when this hull is involved, I think it might need some re-balancing.

AI needs a hard limit on the number of torpedoes it can bring to a single hull, 1930 and 1940 Campaigns are just unfun with how much the AI floods the sea with these things, latest offence was the standard CL of the Austro-Hungarians in a 1930 campaign with a 20 torpedo broadside PER SIDE.

Cruisers as a whole, especially Light Cruisers, and Destroyers need a lot more focus going onwards in my opinion as far as new Hull types and balances in the Ship Designer are concerned, seem to be able to put way too much on a CL hull of 10,000 tonnes as compared to Historically as well as very little variety in hull types, superstructures and turret models, as well as some confusing choices such as Tribal class superstructures being in game but being unavailable to the British in my experience.

Overall though loving the game as a whole and hope you boys keep up the good work.

9 hours ago, SodaBit said:

One last piece of auto-designer feedback before I hit the hay, this time featuring a repeat offender.
z4dZZEL.png
The Chinese CL hull "Compact Light Cruiser" has been the subject of some feedback before, but I swear every time this hull pops up in custom battles, there's always something weird going on with it. I probably don't have to tell you what's wrong with this one, the PT boats in Battle Stations: Pacific have a smoother ride than this.
Although, credit where credit is due, at least it's a better diver than the K Class. Not sure that's entirely what the designers were going for though.
VUZOQZJ.png
I'm not sure if this is down to the hull not cooperating well with auto-designer, or some sort of oversight by the AI, but I'll see if I can put together a build that works using this hull. While I've seen this sort of thing on other ships before, it always seems to be completely excessive when this hull is involved, I think it might need some re-balancing.

I just tried to design a few ships with this hull, and honestly it's basically impossible to get the pitching under control. The best I got was like 35% pitch, because the hull already starts with between 20% and 30% pitch without any components.

Auto-design was even worse, I got >80% pitch and roll on some attempts.

1 hour ago, ZorinW said:

On update 15 the enemy fleets in my campaign still spawned with damaged ships in every battle right from the start.

This is not a bug. Fleets become damaged  as they battle other enemies. Your ships will become damaged too and may participate in other battles in the next turn before they are sent for repairs.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kowalskicore said:

I just tried to design a few ships with this hull, and honestly it's basically impossible to get the pitching under control. The best I got was like 35% pitch, because the hull already starts with between 20% and 30% pitch without any components.

Auto-design was even worse, I got >80% pitch and roll on some attempts.

The problem of very large pitch at sea must have been with the previous beta, as such issues have been resolved.