Game-Labs Forum

Alpha-9 News Update

Nick Thomadis

Our team is progressing on radical changes regarding formations, armor mechanics, AI and various others you requested many times. Here are some of the improvements which we plan to offer in our upcoming update.

Well thats from nick from the first post of this update. We also need lots of other things like AP shells being able to pen multiple compartments and internal models that feature machinery and boilers, plus ammoracks and ammorack fires that you can see spread as well.

Plus we also need fuzes and HE shells need to stop being-able to over-pen lightly armoured targets as they would go off even with slight pressure on the tip on some shells.

And bulkheads not defining armour and flooding, transports can also reduce flooding and its effects just by having many-max bulkheads.

• Like 3

People are being a little impatient atm, does it suck we have not had an update in over two months? Yea it does, but at the same time we need to remember this is not a huge DICE or Ubisoft levels of dev teams they have, coding takes times and trying to rush things causes bugs and crashes which none of us want.

• Like 3

Consider…

Closed alpha, nobody plays, not nothing, no forum, no feedback, zippo.  

Open alpha, everybody plays, we’re in the know, our feedback might make it into game, make a difference, win-win for everybody.

On behalf of those who appreciate the opportunity to participate, we thank Dev's.

PS, here's hoping the campaigns (each nation) are going to be at least 200+ hours each.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, nimbalo500 said:

People are being a little impatient atm, does it suck we have not had an update in over two months? Yea it does, but at the same time we need to remember this is not a huge DICE or Ubisoft levels of dev teams they have, coding takes times and trying to rush things causes bugs and crashes which none of us want.

I think if they had a few teasers or blog posts detailing what they have done so far or any issues they ran into i think that would help somewhat. I can understand why peeps are getting angry doe.

Im hoping they aren't trying to cram to much into one update, i just dislike the lack of communication, even if i understand why they do it however.

But ye, coding needs to be properly defined if rushed it just leads to stupid amount of problems and your job becomes more about fixing than adding (the thing most humans want to do).

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Consider…

Closed alpha, nobody plays, not nothing, no forum, no feedback, zippo.  

Open alpha, everybody plays, we’re in the know, our feedback might make it into game, make a difference, win-win for everybody.

On behalf of those who appreciate the opportunity to participate, we thank Dev's, keep up the good work. This is such a good game and when the campaign and custom battles come out everybody is going to have all the content they hunger for and that is when the game is really going to take off.

PS, hoping the campaigns are going to be at least 200+ hours each.

I think the campaign will be one big campaign, like total war rather than a series of well developed missions with custom units and events.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

I think the campaign will be one big campaign, like total war rather than a series of well developed missions with custom units and events.

Good game campaigns are made on their strategic level cast upon an open world environment,  not linear ones (IMO).    

Strategic = lots to do!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Good game campaigns are made on their strategic level cast upon an open world environment,  not linear ones (IMO).    

Strategic = lots to do!

Also a linear one wouldn't fit the current gameplay style have atm anyways, something like HOI, Stellaris, Total war would be better.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bluishdoor76 said:

Nothing wrong with the community wanting to build their favorite historical ships and making some original wacky designs, thats what the builder is for. Most of us here already call out people who want this game to be as arcade as WoWS. Nothing wrong with the devs adding new hulls either, the problem is that they have focused too much on late interwar and WW2 era ships, leaving Pre dreadnought, dreadnought and WW1 era very desolate. The designer is the biggest issue in the game imo as its limitations really restrict creativity and boxes you into 1 or 2 designs with minor changes here and there. Theres plenty of content, but the builder limits the usability of said content, which is why I wish they would dedicate an update to just sort out the games main selling point. Otherwise theres really no point in having a builder in the first place.

Yes nothing wrong unless its majority of the customer base and they don't care about gameplay. If gameplay is not realsitic neither will be your historical ship nor you will be able to test how your wacky ship would preform. All you will get is build your bismarck model kit for 5 year olds and wows the startegy game.

People beeing more exicted about quads or 20 inch guns more than fixing the core issues are a sign of that and the fact that devs spent all that time adding eye candy more than working on core issues untill now only exposes it more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Microscop said:

Yes nothing wrong unless its majority of the customer base and they don't care about gameplay. If gameplay is not realsitic neither will be your historical ship nor you will be able to test how your wacky ship would preform. All you will get is build your bismarck model kit for 5 year olds and wows the startegy game.

People beeing more exicted about quads or 20 inch guns more than fixing the core issues are a sign of that and the fact that devs spent all that time adding eye candy more than working on core issues untill now only exposes it more.

Well I mean as Barney pointed out this update should fix some issues. While we are happy for quads and 20's I don't believe the majority or many of us have forgotten some of the issues the game currently faces. Not to mention adding 20's and quads isn't a hard feature to add considering it doesnt change to many core mechanics(which they are changing a few of).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

Also a linear one wouldn't fit the current gameplay style have atm anyways, something like HOI, Stellaris, Total war would be better.

Probably not going to happen but I would have like to see more logistic, e.g. ammo and fuel dumps with supply ships/conveys sent to stock up regions and their fleets.

Games of todays world don’t include logistics anymore but it is very much part of armed forces.

If RTW2 inspired, then these logistics could be a thing, per region that is. Designer tool with its range and ammo setting suggest it’s a possibility. It would add an strategic level, and a realistic level too, since warships across the other side of world should be supplied by conveys. But I think the team would have to build this mechanic from scratch, it isn’t part of RTW2.     
Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1

I hope they do, focus on pre-dreads, ww1 and interwar ships, also i wonder what the nations for campaign will be, germany, britain, japan and the USA seem the most likely candidates.

Lack of info is killing me, i assume like fishy says there will only be what they said they will do, but if they add more then that will be great.

I guess the campaign will hit around feb-march at this rate.

• Like 5

Just now, Skeksis said:

Probably not going to happen but I would have like to see more logistic, e.g. ammo and fuel dumps with supply ships/conveys sent to stock up regions and their fleets.

Games of todays world don’t include logistics anymore but it is very much part of armed forces.

If RTW2 inspired, then these logistics could be a thing, per region that is. Designer tool with is range and ammo setting suggest it’s a possibility. It would add an strategic level, and a realistic level too, since warships across the other side of world should be supplied by conveys. But I think the team would have to build this mechanic from scratch, it isn’t part of RTW2.     

I think it will mostly be RTW for its campaign in terms of how it will work, if they can add elements from those games as well to give a more unique flavour then that will be great as well.

I would love to see those things as well, plus espionage, government acting a bit special and also stealing tech by building your ships there and gaining reversed engineered versions of said tech.

I hope they aren't doing both this and the campaign, they should focus on this first so its easier on them, also the sooner they address mechanics and fix them plus make them far better the less work they have to do in-general.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

If RTW2 inspired, then these logistics could be a thing, per region that is. Designer tool with its range and ammo setting suggest it’s a possibility. It would add an strategic level, and a realistic level too, since warships across the other side of world should be supplied by conveys. But I think the team would have to build this mechanic from scratch, it isn’t part of RTW2.     

I think its probably going to be an infrastructure based system like RTW upgrade ports means more ships. And I just realized because barney types so fast he beat me to it...........................Damn you @Cptbarney

I would love to have inter connected regions so for instance you lose supremacy in the atlantic if your GB you cant resupply your ships in the caribbean even if you have supremacy there. Forces the player to actually divvy up the fleet into battle groups to protect regions because you run the risk of losing supply. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TotalRampage said:

I think its probably going to be an infrastructure based system like RTW upgrade ports means more ships. And I just realized because barney types so fast he beat me to it...........................Damn you @Cptbarney

I would love to have inter connected regions so for instance you lose supremacy in the atlantic if your GB you cant resupply your ships in the caribbean even if you have supremacy there. Forces the player to actually divvy up the fleet into battle groups to protect regions because you run the risk of losing supply. 

Ye, would love that. Armed merchants, covettes and gunboats will become important along with monitors and coastal BB's too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cptbarney said:

I think it will mostly be RTW for its campaign in terms of how it will work, if they can add elements from those games as well to give a more unique flavour then that will be great as well.

I would love to see those things as well, plus espionage, government acting a bit special and also stealing tech by building your ships there and gaining reversed engineered versions of said tech.

I hope they aren't doing both this and the campaign, they should focus on this first so its easier on them, also the sooner they address mechanics and fix them plus make them far better the less work they have to do in-general.

Ok a spy network of some kind is something they have to add. Because through the the two world wars countries would find out about other countries building new ships and what plans they have. One such example is in WW2 the French to make a new hip class to combat the Germans H-44 class BBs after they found out and I reckon the Germans will try to keep something like that a secret.

Edited by CapnAvont1015
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, CapnAvont1015 said:

Ok a spy network of some kind is something they have to add. Because through the the two world wars countries would find out about other countries building new ships and what plans they have. One such example is in WW2 the French to make a new hip class to combat the Germans H-44 class BBs after they found out and I reckon the Germans will try to keep something like that a secret.

YA thats something ive wanted for awhile. Especially when it comes to stealing actual tech like lets say advance optics or hydros. Maybe even nation specific hulls 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TotalRampage said:

the player to actually divvy up the fleet into battle groups

I can see this working within an RTW2 format, each region to have specialized fleets, 4, the battle fleet, defensive, supply convey and anti-submarine fleet, players would then send ships to those designated fleet types, the battle generator would then work up battles for each of those fleets. Auto-solve battles for anti-sub though.

• Like 3

Something I wonder is how controlling different fleets is gonna work. Like suppose in the campaign your able to play the Russians. The Russians in IRL have I think four sea sectors (which i'm not gonna list because i'm lazy) which is a lot to control. So I wonder in this game if you control two sea sectors and a battle is about to start in both of them will fight one then right after that fight the other or will an A.I take over that battle.

• Like 3

Just now, CapnAvont1015 said:

Something I wonder is how controlling different fleets is gonna work. Like suppose in the campaign your able to play the Russians. The Russians in IRL have I think four sea sectors (which i'm not gonna list because i'm lazy) which is a lot to control. So I wonder in this game if you control two sea sectors and a battle is about to start in both of them will fight one then right after that fight the other or will an A.I take over that battle.

tbf, only 2 of those 4 sectors were of true importance to the Russians, that being the Baltic and the Black sea. The Arctic was frozen throught most of the year so had little value and thus only kept a small batch of destroyers. Vladivostok was of a bit more importance to the Russians but with Japan next door growing as a naval power and China being stagnant with its navy they saw little need to keep a large fleet as it would be too far away to keep well maintained. Of course this did came back to bite them when the Russo-Japanese war happened.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CapnAvont1015 said:

So I wonder in this game if you control two sea sectors and a battle is about to start in both of them will fight one then right after that fight the other or will an A.I take over that battle.

In Grand Tactician, you play out the battle in real time, then when you return to the campaign that battle is timed out for that battle duration, nicely done I have to say.  

But that game campaign is in real time, this campaign is turn based, therefore the battle generator would create battles at each turn and you would then complete those battles in sequence. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ReefKip said:

has there ever been any proof posted by the developers that they actually started work on the campaing? like in the form of Images from the Campaign Map The UI it will be using, or any other Campaign assets for that matter? or is it all just "we are working on it" kind of evidence? if they are anywhere close to finishing any form of the campaign we should have seen some teaser,s Image,s right?

Here you are. And this image is very old. It's from October 2019. Well, you asked for some proof posted by Devs and I don't think there's any. This was posted by a member of community.827706006_Kampan(wip).thumb.png.05b6f6ec394f3a4cfaacf350c47fb7f5.png

Edited by Aceituna
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bluishdoor76 said:

I'll be happy as long as I can steal treaty ports off the Chinese as it is customary in Vicy 2 :P

Believe it or not I'm a big time beiyangaboo (probably why I don't get along with the weebs) and I'd be happy doing all I could to keep the foreigners out and take back land that rightfully belongs to the Republic of China! Or at the vary least the warlords Zhang Zuolin or Wu Peifu or maybe even that guy Sun Yat Sen. KMT china best china. 

• Like 2