Game-Labs Forum

Will we be getting s̶k̶y̶c̶a̶n̶c̶e̶r̶ aircraft carriers at some point?

People who want carriers so much may want to look at "Task Force Admiral".  Game by the man who made "Cold Waters".  

I hope this game focuses on it's namesake.  Right now I rarely see requests or play throughs of anything pre WW2 in tech.  Makes me ache to get my hands on a hull designer and start pumping out late 1800's designs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sonar said:

People who want carriers so much may want to look at "Task Force Admiral".  Game by the man who made "Cold Waters".  

Just to nitpick: 

Task Force Admiral is made by a totally different studio than killerfish called Drydock Dream Games. This game main focus is carrier operations and planes.

Killerfish is actually developing a ww2 themed game named War on the sea. A game which seems to focus on general ww2 surface engagement with or without carriers.

In the end we all know the real game is named Sea Power - Naval Combat in the missile age, developed by the split team of Killerfish, Triassic games. This game will focus on cold war naval operations and is already looking glorious (no bias here)

If we add Ultimate Admiral: Dreadnought in the equation. We have a year full of really interesting upcoming naval games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/6/2020 at 8:20 AM, Tousansons said:

Task Force Admiral is made by a totally different studio than killerfish called Drydock Dream Games. This game main focus is carrier operations and planes.

Killerfish is actually developing a ww2 themed game named War on the sea. A game which seems to focus on general ww2 surface engagement with or without carriers.

In the end we all know the real game is named Sea Power - Naval Combat in the missile age, developed by the split team of Killerfish, Triassic games. This game will focus on cold war naval operations and is already looking glorious (no bias here)

Wishlisted all, ty=)

• Like 1

I suppose the thing is later designs and technology were influenced by the impact of aircraft. Thicker deck armour, AA refits. Would the 5"/38 be as ubiquitous in the US  navy if DP guns weren't needed? All those gun positions on the modern superstructures were mostly AA or DP mounts. Without aircraft, would secondaries have increased in caliber as main guns did? Take a major factor out of the design and technology drive and things start to look a little wonky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaftoe said:

Sure, let's bring a thing that killed battleships into a battleship game. I don't see any problems with that.

Pretty much this.

Sure, it would be amazing to have UA:D, Silent Hunter, Sturmovik, and Task Force Admiral all melded into one super game, but let's recognize the amount of work that would require. Lots of man hours!

This is a battleship game. And it will be glorious.

Also, LOL @ skycancer. 😆

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cdodders said:

Building a SuperCarrier with armoured flightdecks and 100+ planes

That. When build 20-inched SuperBB with 3 and 6-inch autoloading DPs to shoot the planes and sink the flight deck chest bitch.

Edited by IronKaputt

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. Aviation made big-gun warships obsolete, yes. However, this is a title about big-gun warships, not aviation. 

I would go the route RTW did and end right before aviation became the predominant form of sea power. Since the devs have decided not to, some form of abstracted airpower is required. I say abstracted because unlike RTW this game has large amounts of granular fidelity and is 3D. That means an air system would have to be as complex and detailed as the rest of the game, which is to say, would probably double or trebble the work, cost and time of the project. 

Ideally, the game will be at its strongest during the period between the Russo-Japanese War and around 1925, as that was the time where Dreadnoughts Ruled The Waves. Any time before and after overlaps with periods deserving their own treatment: aviation and missiles on one end, ironclads on the other. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DougToss said:

would probably double or trebble the work, cost and time of the project

Would bring alot of enjoyment to those who seek it, isn’t that what’s development is about anyway, ‘to have players playing their creation’ (pride), with all that costs/workload/company stuff secondary.

Number one UAD FAQ is, 'Are there aircraft carriers?’.

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Skeksis said:

Would bring alot of enjoyment to those who seek it, isn’t that what’s development is about anyway, ‘to have players playing their creation’ (pride), with all that costs/workload/company stuff secondary.

I would agree, the publisher likely will not. If you've worked on a project, you know that delivering on time and budget is paramount. 

They have said from the beginning that carriers and aviation are not planned, which means that their agreement with the publisher is probably timed and budgeted accordingly. 

2 hours ago, DougToss said:

I would agree, the publisher likely will not. If you've worked on a project, you know that delivering on time and budget is paramount. 

They have said from the beginning that carriers and aviation are not planned, which means that their agreement with the publisher is probably timed and budgeted accordingly. 

We’ll see when the campaign is out but if there’s the smallest hint of wanting ‘reconnaissance’ then at least spotter planes will be are back on the agenda. 😊

2 hours ago, BobRoss0902 said:

A while back a dev said that they want to impliment CV but they would be stratigic map only, so not in battle.

I hope they reverse this decision.

I don't want to lose my ships to "random air encounter" with "random AA performance".

Not would I want to lose a CV build by myself in a "auto resolve", because the game claims that a enemy BB has found it.

• Like 1