Game-Labs Forum

Combined Boarding

This is again not my original idea but I liked it when I heard it.  Multiple people should be able to board one or more ships at a time. 

At the Battle of St Vincent, Nelson boarded the San Nicolas, and when the San Jose crashed into the San Nicolas, he boarded that ship as well.

This would be really useful in cutting out expeditions.  Several boats are launched and players board one ship, each adding their men to the melee and how they are used.  In TDM, a larger ship could get caught between two enemies and they both could decide to board him and take their chances in the boarding action.

Removed poll.

Edited by Prater
  • Like 14

I really like the idea, but of course it would require a complete overhaul of the current boarding mechanic.  It desperately needs it!

• Like 2

It should indeed be available but it should only happen in incredibly rare circumstances. It was virtually unheard of prior to Nelson doing it and obviously he created his rather comical cookbook analogy afterwards in addition to the patent boarding. We must remember that the San Josef had been pummelled and lost her commander hence the speedy surrender. Boarding was far more difficult if the commander was alive so perhaps a commanders status could be included in the new boarding combat ie if officers are depleted then you are boarding/defending at a disadvantage.

@Hood

Officers are a great idea

I agree, and in game Nelson would lose because of numbers.  Although I use the Nelson incident as a historical example, I am mainly thinking about how this can be used for several people to go on a combined cutting out expedition.  Or combined scuttling expedition where you steal into a harbor and burning an enemy ship, etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasp%C3%A9e_Affair

• Like 1

I must confess that when I read combined boarding I thought of two ships boarding one ship. I like the idea of it for cutting out missions and have supported them in nearly each topic dedicated to them. I think that they would be ideal if we can one day land marines et cetera to take a fortress/city as the blockading fleet could all enter the mini game of using their smaller boats to attack selected positions.

• Like 1

I am also talking about multi ship boarding, but mostly want it for the launching boats idea.  I don't know how we would make the multi ship boarding rare though.  And I also don't know how we would stop the battle from turning into a general melee.  One ship boards an enemy ship, and everyone runs in to join.

• Like 1

I am also talking about multi ship boarding, but mostly want it for the launching boats idea.  I don't know how we would make the multi ship boarding rare though.  And I also don't know how we would stop the battle from turning into a general melee.  One ship boards an enemy ship, and everyone runs in to join.

It's a tactical decision.  Those boats are going to be a fine, fine target for anything in the area while they're fighting.  Two boats tackling one leaves an extra boat loose on the enemy side.

Could become a slaughter zone for crews if everyone joins the melee. With crews boarding each other's ships then they would become more susceptible to enemy shot/grape. The Redoutable for instance suffered greatly when the Temeraire fired into her as her men tried to board the Victory. I think that it would only be used once a battle is almost decided of if greater numbers are gathered against the enemy ie an enemy vessel is overhauled when an opposing fleet is fleeing then your own fleet can engage that ship with multiple ships.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hi, of those that played the game and captured a vessel with firends it often get surronded but only 1 person can board it. I belive that multiple ships should be able to board not just sit there waiting. It destroys a bit of the realistic aspect becuase in real life I dont think the other ships stand there watching.

See you out there // Ankarström

• Like 1

Cutting out expeditions as instanced events near ports would add some nice variety to things.

Additional ships being able to take part in boarding actions would also be fun. They could grapple alongside a friendly ship to help that one with defense but with some penalty (at least in early rounds) to attacking the enemy, or go over the stern / bow / other side of the enemy ship to flank them on their own decks.

Hi, of those that played the game and captured a vessel with firends it often get surronded but only 1 person can board it. I belive that multiple ships should be able to board not just sit there waiting. It destroys a bit of the realistic aspect becuase in real life I dont think the other ships stand there watching.

See you out there // Ankarström

They shouldn't just sit there they should be firing grape to support the boarding. Also if the boarding action fails they can immediately board afterwards to finish the enemy ship off. So in some very useful ways we already have multiple boarding.

• Like 1

They shouldn't just sit there they should be firing grape to support the boarding. Also if the boarding action fails they can immediately board afterwards to finish the enemy ship off. So in some very useful ways we already have multiple boarding.

Oh yes.

Maybe only make multiple boarding available for taking npc ships, as it might make pvp a little annoying (Maybe)

especially since capping npc ships is particularly dmging to your own ship, and what ship would not surrender if it is outmanned or outgunned by a 5:1 ratio or demasted with no backup around.

Edited by El Capitano

Simplest way i see doing it is whoever initiates controls all the crew boarding actions of those that join. No need to drastically change how the current system works, you just add the number to the total on your side. Could get a little weird with all the individual upgrades etc but I'm sure it would be a lot easier than a full rework.