Game-Labs Forum

Where did you 'discover' naval action?

:) nice to see that I helped bringing quite some people's attention to this game. Really deserves it :).

In my case I spotted a teaser, very short one (mere seconds) more than one year ago in youtube. Pure chance. I remember commenting on that video "I hope they don't dumb this game down and that they finally deliver an immersive age of sail game!".

Since then I kept track on it's development and the second sea trials were announced I preordered it. And boy, were my hopes placed in the right spot. The day I got into the trials I already uploaded a video. Then another, then convinced SideStrafe to give it a try, then Bis followed suit, and...well, the rest is history :).

• Like 4

Phlydaily I think, on youtube.

I haven't played a decent sailing game since Age of Pirates which I think was sometime around 2001(?). Maybe older. Old enough that the best screen resolution you can get without distortion is 1024x768. It wasn't mean for wide-screen monitors. It was plagued with bugs though. It, supposedly, had a plot, but most people just played it in a sandbox fashion. No multiplayer. I think it was put out by Bethesda/Akella. It also had terrible DRM software which I'm absolutely confident killed 2 of my CD-drives, even though my copy was legit.

I never tried Total War or Pirates of the Burning Seas, but I've got numerous 'sailing era' strategy/city building games.

1701AD. East India Company. Sid Meier's Pirates (fun but, eh, cartoonish). Port Royale 3. Just a few.

But I haven't seen anything like Naval Action for a while. American game developers don't see much of a market for pirate/sailing games like this. It's all (Re)Call of Doody.

Best pirate game I ever played was on DOS. Sea Legends. 1996. Undoubtedly it was the first realistic-location, open world pirate game, set in the Caribbean. Oh that was a long time ago, when u had to remember prompt commands to start your games. I was waay too young to understand what I was doing, but I do recall raiding port and stealing something like $400,000 worth of dyes. I could have taken more but I didn't have room on my ships. Yes, ships. You could command a fleet, and the AI was good in that other ships in your fleet actually did what you told them to. In fact, the artificial intelligence was better than most later games of the same genre.

a Guy in your glourious WASP Communtiy found it on Youtbe and made post about it.

Thats pretty much how i discover most games. Exept for AAA's.

If sombody see's a good game, he makes an post in the forums and we sent a detachment to check it out.

Like in NA

from the 1st video by RamJB.

I share his high standards concerning gameplay and the bad experiences with games like WarThunder, that started very promising and turned into utter horror for players with "realistic" or "simulation" demands. Pay-to-win shit of the lowest level now with no plan or focus on the former idea of the game.