Game-Labs Forum

It's called the Brig because it's doing hard time....

So far in this my limited NA career I must say that the Brig is.....total crap. It has no redeeming qualitys and I'd rather have to grind another 30k of damage in the Cutter than be eternally stuck in bad wind, going no where, sliding backwards with a 5 mile turning radius.

The brig will be the ship that makes players quit the game...I'm completely serious in that I'd rather grind the damage in the 3 smaller ships before it than spend on more pathetic game in the jail with a sail. note it's not that it's a small ship, as I've mentioned I love the Cutter, just a fun ship to toss around and nip at people's tails. It could be that I suck on ice....but it's just such a terrible, awkward creature of a ship.

I'll offer Game Labs 30 bucks right now to let me avoid this horrid wooden gulag.

Brig? Pretty good boat. Well positioned cannons (angles between them) & possibility of using 18pd carronades.

You need to adjust your style of sailing/playing to the characteristics of each ship, and not expect that all the ships can do the same thing - as in your example,  stern camping in Cutter.

You learn to sail with the brig.

Since it's the first square-rigged ship most players need some time to adapt to the need to use manual sails.

When I first got into the brig it took me a couple of hours until I actually managed more damage than in my cutter.

Other than the need to learn I think the brig is a fine ship.

• Like 2

The Snow's not going to feel drastically different. If you like the Cutter, you should like the Surprise, but you have to learn how to manual sail to succeed with anything bigger than the Cutter, anyway.

But in the long-run, the difficulty curve on the brig won't matter. You shouldn't have to grind your way up the ladder in the open-world. Pirates and commerce raiders used smaller, fast ships anyway, so for all we know, post-ships, cutters, and schooners will be where most of the action is.

I absolutely hated the brig, my least favorite boat followed by surprise. It doesnt have enough guns to compensate for the bigger hull and lack of easy maneuverability you had in previous boats. Surprise is big enough to be focused by frigates and up but comes nowhere near in damage and speed..

For me its all about having an exponential increase in amount of guns per hull length, snow does a good job at it being smaller than brig and having more guns.

Actually it is the first ship that requires non carefree play. Quite enjoy it. Gives a run against the snow if the snow captain is not so good. Quite enjoyable ship. Fast, responsive to rig turns, good spread of guns along the deck and nice options to outfit. 

First i hated it. Then i start getting used to it. Felt better in the Snow.

But Brigg has its Pro`s. The Low Profile for Hull Shots for the Enemy isnt mentioned here.

So if you know how to sail it it definatly has its value. When we have Open World then maybe its low Price or other Stuff will be implemented that will let you choose a Brigg instead of a for ex. Snow maybe.

• Like 1

The brig is supposed to be a generic model that is available to each nation I think, surely there is something that can be used to buff(err historically correct) the ship. I never really feared the ship, for some reason they're more like background scenery than real threats. :P

The brig is supposed to be a generic model that is available to each nation I think, surely there is something that can be used to buff(err historically correct) the ship. I never really feared the ship, for some reason they're more like background scenery than real threats. :P

Like production, up keep and repair costs. Could even be a free fall back ship if your rank is high enough - there are a million other ways to rebalance it later w/o wasting time on it now. Even if it sucks atm it doesnt really matter anyway, tbh nothing matters till DM 4.0 is in (which is why I play like one-two rounds a day) 

So far in this my limited NA career I must say that the Brig is.....total crap. It has no redeeming qualitys and I'd rather have to grind another 30k of damage in the Cutter than be eternally stuck in bad wind, going no where, sliding backwards with a 5 mile turning radius.

The brig will be the ship that makes players quit the game...I'm completely serious in that I'd rather grind the damage in the 3 smaller ships before it than spend on more pathetic game in the jail with a sail. note it's not that it's a small ship, as I've mentioned I love the Cutter, just a fun ship to toss around and nip at people's tails. It could be that I suck on ice....but it's just such a terrible, awkward creature of a ship.

I'll offer Game Labs 30 bucks right now to let me avoid this horrid wooden gulag.

If you don't play the Brig and be given a Snow instead, then you'll hate the Snow. If you are allowed to skip the Brig & Snow, then you'll hate the Surprise. When you are allowed to skip the Brig, Snow & Surprise, you'll hate...etc.

Coming from the Lynx and Cutter to the Brig is a radical step as they sail so differently. The Square rigged configuration alone is though on new players. I myself didn't like it at first until I learned how to use it proper. A generic, well-build and sailed Brig is an extremely versatile ship, one we will certainly see a lot in Open World. Yet, if you don't sail the Brig and learn how to use it's sails, you won't see much success in any other square rigged ship. The Brig is a gift of heaven for new players. It gives you a great little ship to learn the lessons that will serve you well in the future. Don't dismiss it. Embrace it.

• Like 5

t I'd rather grind the damage in the 3 smaller ships before it than spend on more pathetic game in the jail with a sail.

It's not a grind - it's an admiralty sea trial testing. We must test the brig properly - that's why everyone must sail it.. 

The best way to make it better is to provide feedback and offer advice on what do you think should be improved or changed on this vessel. 

• Like 1

[...]

The Brig is a gift of heaven for new players. It gives you a great little ship to learn the lessons that will serve you well in the future. Don't dismiss it. Embrace it.

Almost poetical here.

but yeah, good summary on the brig

One of my most enjoyable matches was with the brig:

Maneuverable, decent speed, square rigged = manual sails = fun, stable, and packs a punch on like sized ships.  Cutter can't sail well downwind btw, and heels quite a bit.

Brig? Pretty good boat. Well positioned cannons (angles between them) & possibility of using 18pd carronades.

You need to adjust your style of sailing/playing to the characteristics of each ship, and not expect that all the ships can do the same thing - as in your example,  stern camping in Cutter.

What saddens me is the simple fact that ships carry carronades much smaller then they did irl, for example i believe some brigs carried 24 or 32 pounders(even heard of 64lb carronades on ships of this size though rare as heck apparently so a bit ott) on them as their primary armament.

It's not a grind - it's an admiralty sea trial testing. We must test the brig properly - that's why everyone must sail it.. 

The best way to make it better is to provide feedback and offer advice on what do you think should be improved or changed on this vessel. 

Give the smaller ships which historically had them bigger carronades to fire if possible, would up their damage dealing power a bit for hit and run attacks due to their inability to hang about for a brawl, also might make the carronades a bit more useful when used by the nimble ships?

Thats my feedback on using the light ships and heavy carronades, they would work well together but each is not suitable to their current loadout choice (ie lights only get low end carronades which are not worth using in comparason to cannon and heavy carronades only go on ships which have a choice of much more effective cannon). I think it would be a pretty interesting thing to at the very least allow the playerbase to trial out, if the carronades are still not used instead then oh well, if the carronades prove to be used alot, then at least carronades have a bigger place in the game over "autobiggestlongcannonpossiblemeta" :lol:

• Like 1

"The untested carpenter will blame his tools, the skilled carpenter will blame himself."

Think of the brig as training wheels, the smaller ships as tricycles, and the full fledged frigates as bicycles. The brig is a critical stepping stone as you move up the ladder of ships. the brig's speed and maneuverability for it's size compared to the other ships is where it should be. (perhaps it should even be a slight bit faster). And if nothing else, it will make you appreciate the snow better :P

• Like 5

Think of the brig as training wheels, the smaller ships as tricycles, and the full fledged frigates as bicycles. The brig is a critical stepping stone as you move up the ladder of ships. the brig's speed and maneuverability for it's size compared to the other ships is where it should be. (perhaps it should even be a slight bit faster). And if nothing else, it will make you appreciate the snow better :P

I'd say brig is the 1st of the "bicycles".  I remember myself hating brig as much... first :)  It's just 'cause cutter and lynx are so easy to sail, tacking with auto skipper and such.  Take a look at video tutorials and keep practicing, you'll get better fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDULiKq-yHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0trVkXvaaOQ

I'd suggest a little more firepower to the Brig, maybe some cannons in the aftcastle should do it... Unless you guys plan it to be a more "civillian" type vessel, if that's the case, the brig feels perfet for me!

And please do something with the stern, that wooden plate where the windows are its just ugly... some art maybe, as simple as this:

Mutiny_HMS_Bounty.jpg

I only have five games in it but I found it an awesome upgrade over a Cutter.

You lose some speed and manouverability but I think the pro's more than make up for it. Obviously a small upgrade in DPS but the main benefit for me is that it is much more a stable platform. It heels much less and allows me to be much more precise, with about 20% increase in accuracy. It is still manouverable and fast enough to camp the rear of Frigattes and up (helping a Surprise kill a Connie a highlight so far). Plus being a rigged ship it brings an interesting new gameplay (i love turning with manual sails).

Anyways, would like a bit more firepower on it but I find it a significant upgrade so far. Admittedy I am a noob at this, but just my 0.002 gold sovereigns worth.

A Brig line of ships is not intended for battle. It might be used as a interceptor for unharmed trade ships but is not intended for war. Also it has as much crew as a Snow so boarding is a great option.

On top of that the Brig will be a good option for a armed trader in Open World.

Please refrain of looking at ships only from a combative point of view.

A Brig can effectively defend itself enough to run away in Open World against bigger ships. That is enough.

Took me couple hours to learn the manual sails, and you do need to use manual sails along with rudder to steer this ship and the ones that come after.

Once you learn this, you will have alot of fun in this ship :D

And I do agree with felelo, the stern looks unfinished. Some more aesthetic work and she will be perfect.