Game-Labs Forum

Make the Loki Rune a DLC for unlimited use

Someone suggested this on the steam forum and I think it's a great idea. It would give the PVPers a way to get into instant fights without any PVE grinding, it would satisfy the people who are crying for Naval Action Legends to come back and it would satisfy the ones crying the AI is dumb, too easy and boring. I'm sure it would also attract and retain a lot of users who are turned off by the more time consuming aspects of the game, all while feeding worthy challenge to those who want to play the game to the fullest.

Not only that the game devs would have a bunch of players working for them AND paying for it, loll.

• Like 1

make the "sail" button work only with a DLC please
we should also do it with the "sail" button
any ship other than basic cutter should also require one DLC for each ship
oh, and did I mention a DLC required for the "sail" button to work?
we NEED that

Edited by Captain2Strong
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captain2Strong said:

make the "sail" button work only with a DLC please
we should also do it with the "sail" button
any ship other than basic cutter should also require one DLC for each ship
oh, and did I mention a DLC required for the "sail" button to work?
we NEED that

Chill out sir, you nobody mentioned removing it from the game as loot. 

I do PVE  very often and I would welcome this DLC. I could practice PVP without having to spend hours sailing around looking for a fight, which is why I don't PVP very much. I would make it unlimited with a cooldown like DLC ships. 

Does anyone know for a fact, how the item works? What ship stats do you get? Do you get the real shabby stats of the usual NPC ship or do you get any bonuses that the AI gets? and is repairing possible? 
If you can't repair and you have the usual poor NPC ship woods with no port bonuses. I don't see how people could bitch about a player taking over an AI. Everyone should welcome more pvp in the pvp server. 

Edited by Never

Just now, Never said:

Does anyone know for a fact, how the item works? What ship stats do you get? Do you get the real shabby stats of the usual NPC ship or do you get any bonuses that the AI gets? and is repairing possible?

I read several complaints on global last night from players who transported into an almost dead AI with no reps.  Also some bragging from a guy who got a healthy 3rd rate and killed the opposing player.

• Like 1

1 a day redeemable, throws you straight into the first fight that pops up, or into a fight that has lasted less than two minutes. Cant redeem if you have one in your inventory that was redeemed. Can outfit the rune like a ship, allowing you to toss upgrades on with a small repairs inventory to add. Keep the rune if you win the fight against a player with exp rewards associated with a first rate to allow you to unlock knowledge slots. If you lose the rune goes away, though you retain exp and slots unlocked.

Id say thats worth a DLC, and will satisfy battle junkies. Make things very interesting, for both combatants, as the rewards should also proportionally increase for the player who engaged the fight.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Never said:

Chill out sir, you nobody mentioned removing it from the game as loot. 

I do PVE  very often and I would welcome this DLC. I could practice PVP without having to spend hours sailing around looking for a fight, which is why I don't PVP very much. I would make it unlimited with a cooldown like DLC ships. 

If you can't repair and you have the usual poor NPC ship woods with no port bonuses. I don't see how people could bitch about a player taking over an AI. Everyone should welcome more pvp in the pvp server. 

I don't have all the details but the fight I got thrown in I had no repairs of any kind. Didn't notice anything special about how the ship handled or behaved so hard to say on upgrades/bonuses, I assume you get the same loadout as the AI he was fighting.

I also fought a player during one of my PVE encounters.. I didn't notice anything different other than the fact it was doing great at angling the ship to bounce my balls... When the battle was over (I won, was my Wasa against 2 Surprises) there was a log in the combat log that said I had killed a French player (the Surprises I was fighting were French).

When I got killed in my other fight, nothing showed in the log, but I'm pretty sure the Fort got credit for that kill, the player was just avoiding my balls and letting the fort do the job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

When you use a Loki rune you are insta-dropped into battle, controlling a previously AI-controlled ship that another player is fighting.  It's instant action, albeit non-consensual PvP on the part of the player who thought he was fighting PvE, although my understanding is that from his perspective until you do something that AI wouldn't it is transparent to the other player.

Oh, my! So it did happen!?

How do I get these things?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Wraith said:

lol, PvE.. :P 

Though, the rumor is that it will drop from PvP as well... but you know, you gotta play to, uh.. play.

Now that I understand I support OP's request.

tenor.gif

Since we Legends players are so few and so stupid there is no way this could negatively affect the bot-humpers.

• Like 1

This is seriously one of the worst mechanics ever implemented in this game, and I still remember the update where everyone immediately sank if two ships barely touched, and the other one where a single broadside of ball shot killed the majority of your crew...

The PvP isn't consensual and there's no warning given to the player who believes they are engaging in PvE.  That's simply not OK, under any circumstance.  If there was a warning that was displayed that told a player that the NPC he was fighting had just been taken over by another player, then that would make it more acceptable.  As it stands, it's a shitty mechanic designed specifically to cater to trolls.

Just for clarification, I'm good with PvP.  I play solely on the PvP server and I engage in PvP every single day.  You see, though, I'm a Pirate, so all I have to do is undock from any major Pirate port and there is usually a fair number of gankers trying to kill me.  All you people that are always bitching about not getting enough action need to try putting yourselves in someone else's shoes before you try to dictate how the game experience should be for everyone.  Maybe stop being a bunch of pansies and join a nation that actually offers a challenge?

• Like 7

Just for clarification I'm mainly a PVE player, even though I'm on the PVP server. I still welcome this change because ultimately I chose the PVE fights I engage in. Whether it's an AI or a player, I usually go for easy targets because I'd rather kill 4 ships for 300xp each in 30 min than have a 1h fight with a 1200xp ship.

So all in all it just means I get more challenge and ultimately more enjoyment without having to build min-maxed ships for millions and throwing them at fleets of gankers... I can do what I've always done but with some spiciness added. Also means I can chose to do PVP when I feel like it, without risking my hard earned ships... And it gives PVP players something to do as well. It's all good.

Obviously the guys pushing the PVE limits solo farming fleets or much bigger ships might get wrecked when they can't exploit the predictability of the AI, but oh well.... 

• Like 1

Loki rune should be a "duel" ticket - duel room was removed because it was feared that it would drag away players from the OW.. Now if you could duel once or twice a day, by using a duel ticket aka a loki rune, that shouldnt be too bad. You'd get put in the duel room and then select the ship either by straight up agreeing to one or by having a ban-pick system until 1 ship is left

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WilsonMG said:

This is seriously one of the worst mechanics ever implemented in this game, and I still remember the update where everyone immediately sank if two ships barely touched, and the other one where a single broadside of ball shot killed the majority of your crew...

The PvP isn't consensual and there's no warning given to the player who believes they are engaging in PvE.  That's simply not OK, under any circumstance.  If there was a warning that was displayed that told a player that the NPC he was fighting had just been taken over by another player, then that would make it more acceptable.  As it stands, it's a shitty mechanic designed specifically to cater to trolls.

Just for clarification, I'm good with PvP.  I play solely on the PvP server and I engage in PvP every single day.  You see, though, I'm a Pirate, so all I have to do is undock from any major Pirate port and there is usually a fair number of gankers trying to kill me.  All you people that are always bitching about not getting enough action need to try putting yourselves in someone else's shoes before you try to dictate how the game experience should be for everyone.  Maybe stop being a bunch of pansies and join a nation that actually offers a challenge?

I think any PVE player with a decent amount of exp would be able to tell if suddenly the AI is replaced by a player based on their behavior. AI is extremely predictable, players are not. But I do agree it wouldn't hurt if there was a notice when it happened. 

11 minutes ago, Never said:

I think any PVE player with a decent amount of exp would be able to tell if suddenly the AI is replaced by a player based on their behavior. AI is extremely predictable, players are not. But I do agree it wouldn't hurt if there was a notice when it happened. 

Maybe the name should change above the ship.  Question...If you use Loki and kill a player.  Do you get the PVP credit?  Adds to your mission score, etc?

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

😭

Hate to break it to you, but the vast majority of PvP in Naval Action isn't consensual. And that's fine, that's what an open world, sandbox PvP game is built for. I'm not sure you can really call all of us out in this thread for being PvP-averse, or "pansies," which is more than a bit prejudicial, lol. Perhaps you and all that "MG," "hardcore" experience should get out from behind your PvE carebearing and step into the real game for a bit, and place a bit more value on getting PvP experience, even if it's spoonfed to you when you don't even know you're getting it. ;) 

We can debate the merits of whether a player-controlled, Loki ship should be indicated or not... I think it should not be, though, I think I'd also recognize any behavior in an "AI" ship that doesn't match their relatively simplistic algorithm immediately.

Being called a carebear by someone who fled Pirates when the going got tough to go play the game on easy mode with Russia... so hurtful...

I never claimed to be "hardcore".  I said I actively participate in PvP on a daily basis, and I'm good with the consequences of it.  Undocking into the open world is consenting to PvP in Naval Action on the PvP server.

I feel I should clarify that my chief complaint about the Loki Rune's isn't the nonconsensual nature of the mechanic so much as the fact that it is being intentionally hidden from the victim, and, more importantly, that the player using the Loki Rune isn't risking anything.

Knowing whether you are fighting a player or the AI is important and whether you are experienced enough in PvE to tell the difference is really irrelevant.  You're going to have to fight a player differently than you would an NPC and it helps knowing at the onset of the battle what you're getting into.  Personally, I also tend to take on more challenging NPC fleets when I engage in PvE, and my safety is anything but certain, so a player taking control of one of the NPCs I'm fighting could mean the difference between a net gain from the battle, or taking a major loss.

I mean, let's face it... grinding a lot of PvE is not something that can be avoided--at least not if you need Doubloons or XP--or I think a lot of us would.  When I do it, I try to get the best results for my time and effort, and losing a ship and its upgrades, while the other player suffers no risk at all, just doesn't make for good gameplay.

If the game used a banner announcement (like with conquests) that said something like "An enemy captain has fallen and an aspiring officer has taken command of the ship; John Ramsey's ship is now controlled by TrimSlayer69!", it would probably sit better with me, but it still wouldn't address the fact that the player who is using the Loki Rune isn't taking on any risk.  The way it is now, it's just a troll mechanic.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Maybe the name should change above the ship.  Question...If you use Loki and kill a player.  Do you get the PVP credit?  Adds to your mission score, etc?

I don't have any PVP missions so I have no idea. I did get a log in combat news about me killing someone. Didn't realize I was fighting a player until I saw it, lol.

25 minutes ago, WilsonMG said:

Being called a carebear by someone who fled Pirates when the going got tough to go play the game on easy mode with Russia... so hurtful...

I never claimed to be "hardcore".  I said I actively participate in PvP on a daily basis, and I'm good with the consequences of it.  Undocking into the open world is consenting to PvP in Naval Action on the PvP server.

I feel I should clarify that my chief complaint about the Loki Rune's isn't the nonconsensual nature of the mechanic so much as the fact that it is being intentionally hidden from the victim, and, more importantly, that the player using the Loki Rune isn't risking anything.

Knowing whether you are fighting a player or the AI is important and whether you are experienced enough in PvE to tell the difference is really irrelevant.  You're going to have to fight a player differently than you would an NPC and it helps knowing at the onset of the battle what you're getting into.  Personally, I also tend to take on more challenging NPC fleets when I engage in PvE, and my safety is anything but certain, so a player taking control of one of the NPCs I'm fighting could mean the difference between a net gain from the battle, or taking a major loss.

I mean, let's face it... grinding a lot of PvE is not something that can be avoided--at least not if you need Doubloons or XP--or I think a lot of us would.  When I do it, I try to get the best results for my time and effort, and losing a ship and its upgrades, while the other player suffers no risk at all, just doesn't make for good gameplay.

If the game used a banner announcement (like with conquests) that said something like "An enemy captain has fallen and an aspiring officer has taken command of the ship; John Ramsey's ship is now controlled by TrimSlayer69!", it would probably sit better with me, but it still wouldn't address the fact that the player who is using the Loki Rune isn't taking on any risk.  The way it is now, it's just a troll mechanic.

Just means you have to treat any PVE encounter with the same precaution and awareness you would if you were fighting a player in the same ship.

The whole bigger risk bigger reward is kinda BS if you ask me, close fights give more XP but they are much harder and long, require one or several repair cycles/gimmicks (boarding to stall time waiting on repairs for instance), etc. In the end, you're only making it harder on yourself.

Even though it's probably statistically unlikely with individuals using them on their own, I wonder if it's possible for more than one player using Loki Runes to join into the same battle if there are multiple NPCs still alive in it?  If so, I could see some Clans saving all of their Loki Runes to use simultaneously for some next-level trolling...