Game-Labs Forum

Make the Loki Rune a DLC for unlimited use

14 hours ago, ShroudedRecluse said:

my main suggestion for the Loki Rune is that upon use you get queue'd up for the START of the NEXT player vs AI battle

it sucks using the rune and logging into a battle with 5% health left etc

already at a disadvantage with sucky ships, no port bonuses, no books, no upgrades and no repairs - all of which is fine to me as long as you can be in at the START of the engagement

for me at the moment this is a great concept that needs tweaking

a fun-item is a fun-item is a fun-item. no books, no bonus, "sucky-ship". this a new experience for you??

12 hours ago, WilsonMG said:

The way it is now, it's just a troll mechanic.

well, beginners will miss the joke but after a few fights it should be fairly easy to tell an npc apart from a player (if he isn't faking, that is).

otoh this makes exploiting the dumb ai against unrealistic odds more risky, because it just takes one of these drones to get creative on you to mess everything up. i understand this is controversial, specially with such huge pve grind being enforced, but i can't say i dislike it either. troll mechanic but still fun. 🤣

Is there a restriction on what loki rune can get into?

Can you get into new player's final exam?

Can you join npc port battles?

Can you join npc against the raid?

Can you join npc in hostility?

Can you join into other player's kill missions?

Can you join into an elite npc and having an op ship?

Edited by Emain Macha

Overall I support the idea of making loki rune a DLC.

Limit to 1 redeem with 24 hour cool down. None tradeable. And same with the Loki rune obtained through other method - none tradable as well.

This is to prevent the really good players using loki rune all the time (If they want extra they need to go hunt for it, or to collect the redeem every day and save it). And encourage players of all skill levels to participate in loki battles. 

I think this DLC would sell much better than the current new DLC ship.

On 10/23/2019 at 7:45 PM, Never said:

Chill out sir, you nobody mentioned removing it from the game as loot. 

I do PVE  very often and I would welcome this DLC

it should be included in the base price, attacking someone is a basic activity in this game
and we should just be able to do that without a weird unnecessary requirement of getting some item, the rune is unnecessary

Edited by Captain2Strong

On 10/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, [MCC] Die Antwoord said:

Someone suggested this on the steam forum and I think it's a great idea. It would give the PVPers a way to get into instant fights without any PVE grinding, it would satisfy the people who are crying for Naval Action Legends to come back and it would satisfy the ones crying the AI is dumb, too easy and boring. I'm sure it would also attract and retain a lot of users who are turned off by the more time consuming aspects of the game, all while feeding worthy challenge to those who want to play the game to the fullest.

Not only that the game devs would have a bunch of players working for them AND paying for it, loll.

problem is PvP'rs aren't using these runes for fights, I mean lets get real... fights are easy to get.. you want pvp go hit the circle you'll have all you want... the only reason you want this rune is to troll someone who isn't expecting it  and that's what it is.. you risk nothing, you loose nothing... but you stand to cost them a ship and w/e work they've put into the fight/loot.  That's a pure troll mechanic plain and simple.  But I forget PvP'rs in this game don't want fair fights, they don't want challenges, they want to kill noobs, and ill equipped ships and call themselves gods for it.... 

• Like 3

Make this a DLC once per day redeemable.

Leave it as it is regarding when and what ship you get, it's meant to be fun not a way of allowing trolling.

Do not show who is in the AI ship. Some people rely on their 'name' to help them win battles. 

Loki rune gives :

Uncertainty to PVE saftey.

PvP exp to newer player with an advantage to them. (Don't allow players to have mods/reps/etc.)

Fun for the Lokist.

Better rewards for PVE.

it's a win win imo.

Loki is a great addition of not abused by adding things like mods and always fresh ships etc.

Make it a once per day dlc but leave it as it is in regards to how you join and the random condition of what ship you get.

Anything else could be trolling. Also keep it anonymous its better for the person being attacked not to know who they are fighting.

Also for those who don't like the idea of a PVE battle getting some  PVP treatment you may be surprised at how well some the players who fight AI a lot can be in battle. They are not all soft carebears as you may think.

I think the Loki runes are some of the better ideas to come to Naval action, to be honest, although I understand it is yet another thing making it harder for new players and a bitter pill to swallow for those who really did want to take a break from PvP. Why not tweak the system slightly by allowing the user to customize the game as he wants to play it?

1) Add an option in the game settings called "Enable drop-in battles." Leave it tagged "on" per default and do not allow players to change that setting upon entering the instance itself (gray it out upon entering the battle or something).

2) In the upper-right corner of the battle screen in the instance (or somewhere else clearly visible), text will show "Drop-in battles enabled", giving a clear indication to players if they are flagged for potential PvP. If they get a drop-in when they want to chill out, it is their own fault.

3) Everyone can enable drop-in battles, but only DLC owners can play as the NPC ship, generating more revenue. You can play as many drop-in battles as you want if you own the DLC. You may experience a queue however. The player dropping in does not earn anything (for now) Player rewards can be tweaked later on to stimulate popularity of playing as AI.

4) As long as the drop-in battles setting is enabled, players earn 1-5 combat marks (based on mission difficulty) regardless if a player actually dropped in and mission rewards are increased.

5) Mission rewards are further increased per player that dropped in. Combat marks are multiplied per player (+100%, +200%) that joined your battle.

6) The Loki rune remains in game as a single-use token. It is consumed upon use and allows to play one battle as AI.

7) Optional: "Got the drop on someone" leaderboard. List of the deadliest captains that dropped in on those with the mode enabled. 

Second leaderboard: "Suspicious prey" - Leaderboard showing the best defenders. The top X players on both leaderboards get a single token of one of the DLC/rare ships at the end of the month (e.g. up to rate X based on position: rank one can pick from rate 1-7). The reward ships cannot be captured, but are destroyed like any other DLC ship. 

Like I posted here: 

Just give people choices and a lot of the negative feedback disappears. It is a sandbox game, I am not sure why every player needs to be gated to play the way a select few want. 

EDIT: Just discovered this post, which essentially proposes the same (Credit to ZWAJO):

Edited by Ccarpio
Added reference URL

On 10/26/2019 at 2:09 AM, ZWAJO said:

But I forget PvP'rs in this game don't want fair fights, they don't want challenges, they want to kill noobs, and ill equipped ships and call themselves gods for it....

Partly true. Most remaining so-called PvP players fit your description. However, true PvP players want fair fights with a challenge. I know a few such players still playing, but most of the players with those qualities aren't playing anymore.

Keep in mind that ganking is institutionalized and assymetric warfare is celebrated in this game. The eco-sandbox fosters, encourages and enables PvP players of the type you described, it's working as intended.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 4:33 AM, Ccarpio said:

I think the Loki runes are some of the better ideas to come to Naval action, to be honest, although I understand it is yet another thing making it harder for new players and a bitter pill to swallow for those who really did want to take a break from PvP. Why not tweak the system slightly by allowing the user to customize the game as he wants to play it?

1) Add an option in the game settings called "Enable drop-in battles." Leave it tagged "on" per default and do not allow players to change that setting upon entering the instance itself (gray it out upon entering the battle or something).

2) In the upper-right corner of the battle screen in the instance (or somewhere else clearly visible), text will show "Drop-in battles enabled", giving a clear indication to players if they are flagged for potential PvP. If they get a drop-in when they want to chill out, it is their own fault.

3) Everyone can enable drop-in battles, but only DLC owners can play as the NPC ship, generating more revenue. You can play as many drop-in battles as you want if you own the DLC. You may experience a queue however. The player dropping in does not earn anything (for now) Player rewards can be tweaked later on to stimulate popularity of playing as AI.

4) As long as the drop-in battles setting is enabled, players earn 1-5 combat marks (based on mission difficulty) regardless if a player actually dropped in and mission rewards are increased.

5) Mission rewards are further increased per player that dropped in. Combat marks are multiplied per player (+100%, +200%) that joined your battle.

6) The Loki rune remains in game as a single-use token. It is consumed upon use and allows to play one battle as AI.

7) Optional: "Got the drop on someone" leaderboard. List of the deadliest captains that dropped in on those with the mode enabled. 

Second leaderboard: "Suspicious prey" - Leaderboard showing the best defenders. The top X players on both leaderboards get a single token of one of the DLC/rare ships at the end of the month (e.g. up to rate X based on position: rank one can pick from rate 1-7). The reward ships cannot be captured, but are destroyed like any other DLC ship. 

Like I posted here: 

Just give people choices and a lot of the negative feedback disappears. It is a sandbox game, I am not sure why every player needs to be gated to play the way a select few want. 

EDIT: Just discovered this post, which essentially proposes the same (Credit to ZWAJO):

A check box done in port to allow for PVP would be an excellent addition to the PVE server. It has no place on a PVP server. 

• Like 1

I'm afraid that Loki rune could be another thing which lower population of servers. I already few times barely survived battle against NPC fleet cause of other players taking command on AI ships. 

I understand that it's a testing thing, or some idea to develop but when I play on PVP server (the only one I ever played), when I'm attacking NPC fleet I'm expecting AI enemy. Otherwise it's not PVE but PVP and that's not what I'm going for with my PVE fitted 1st rate.  Anybody with better turn rate will ass wreck me and capture/sink. Expecially if he have support of another 2-8 AI ships. Where is a fun in that for me? Our Loki captain is not even risking his own ship.. .

When I goes for PVE and being attacked by bunch of enemy players - that's ok - It's what I can always expect, and they risking they own ships as well. But NPC turning in real players is not fair. 

Thanks for creating and developing game! Please consider other use for Loki Runes - possibly as a some kind of ticket to easy acces PVP arena where loki rune owners are fighting against each other 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 ect in some similar BR...  that could be fun for somebody who want's join game just for fast PVP battle.