Game-Labs Forum

Ships sinking by RNG

Knuddel

F11 report: NAB-87745

At the end of the Carriacou PB I was in boarding with an enemy Bucentaur. We were both down to zero structure and armour, he had zero morale in the boarding, and I had all but won the boarding. However both ships were under water and technically sunk, but for the boariding. It was just before the timer ran out on the battle, and as soon as the Battle Over-message appeared we both, I assume, pressed to leave the battle. After leaving battle I was told by remaining players that my ship was sunk. Meanwhile the Bucentaur escaped the battle and was able to sail back to port. 
Somehow the server registered his leaving before my leaving, but for all intents and purposes we must have left at the same time. 
It makes no sense that this server RNG or ping, should decide whose ship survive battle. Given that we both were technically dead, it would make sense both players loosing our ships, but alternatively, since both were still alive at Battle Over, we should both keep our ships.
In either case, it should be the same outcome for both players. RNG/ping deciding this is just unfair and bad gameplay. So ether both or no one should lose a ship this way. I would like to have mine back.

greetings

Edited by Knuddel
  • Like 6

That's unfortunate. In this scenario I'd rather see both live than both die. Luckily one of you made it out but that's only because you were lucky and got a good tic on the server when you should've sank. I do not like ships being held from sinking while in boarding, I think it's unrealistic and honestly I don't even like that ships sink the way they do. Ships should surrender at 0 health, not sink. Sinking should come from leaks and fires, not just any damage. If I want the ship to sink I'll put a broadside on the lower hull post surrender.

4 hours ago, Slim McSauce said:

I do not like ships being held from sinking while in boarding, I think it's unrealistic 

Both ships leaving combat at 0 structure and after being fully swallowed by the ocean, sailing home to safety without any penalties, is  damn realistic

f4ff8b0d242f954810eb3b609c747f31.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Knuddel said:

Hey i just want to know if you (devs) consider this as a bug or will this be like this?

Computers use numbers and packets when calculating things.  As a result when battle is over the person who sank first (first packet flying at the speed of electricity reaches the server) is considered sank and all others can exit the battle (even those who are in the process of sinking too), because battle over message overrides all states and removes exit limitations. There is no RNG. Just packets and numbers. 1nes or 0es

Same does not happen with the exit timer, because we lock the exit for ships taking water. But battle over message means battle is over and you can try to exit (even on the sinking ship).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Both ships are in boarding. Both ships have 100% of the water. I thought the concept of not sinking ship in boarding is that 1 ship is grappled to another afloat ship. How does the logic and physics work with both ships going down, but holding each other afloat due to boarding? 

image.png.ffe22766b63c08494620ec266a45f9cb.png

It's because of the Captain's Blood adventures by Sabatini. Last chance boarding.

With his ship sinking under him, Blood grapples with the Frenchman, leads a boarding party, and takes the ship.

6 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

But the Frenchman was not sinking! We have a situation of BOTH ships with 100% water in boarding. They are magically afloat. 

I understand. but it works both ways. Boarding must be resolved, even if both ships are sinking. Once it is resolved and battle is not over they will both sink once boarding ends. 

25 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

Another problem arises when the battle is over (we can see that on the video above by Liqucity). Both ships have 100% water, boarding is still going on. First person to click leave - survives, other sinks (while technically both should be dead). If player A leaves battle first, player B dies. If player B leaves first, player A dies. Not only it creates an unrealistic situation of magic force keeping 2 ships afloat, on rare occasions faster-clicking LEAVE button player or player with lower ping wins. 

This does not happen when you win the boarding does it? This only happens when both sinking ships sit in brace and are passive in boarding.

On 2/23/2019 at 11:42 PM, Beeekonda said:

Both ships leaving combat at 0 structure and after being fully swallowed by the ocean, sailing home to safety without any penalties, is  damn realistic

*insert meme image*

The point is one ship is at 0 structure and 100% water and is still holding on to boarding....even though the ship is 100% filled with water. That's officially sunk isn't it?

Edited by Slim McSauce

@admin

we have a realistic damage model and a realistic fire model but boarding model is unrealistic. i cant understand this . when both are 100% full of water and they are still in boarding they have to sink

ps. the new fire model is bad for the gameplay

Edited by Guest

Simple solution: boarding should be interrupted immediately when one ship sinks. If the other one is still just 99% sank (not 100%) and battle ends this moment, then that was just good luck and ok imho. 

If you really want to keep the boarding open for sunk ships so that the crew might conquer the other ship and take it over, you have to limit boarding actions. How should the crew continue to fight the boarding game when their ship is sunk? No more brace, musket volley, deck guns, just attack left as only option. And this would result in a very fast combat resolution and less time during which a practically sunk ship remains active during boarding. 

Edited by van Veen

1 hour ago, admin said:

This does not happen when you win the boarding does it? This only happens when both sinking ships sit in brace and are passive in boarding.

solution, if you take in water when the battle is over, the ship becomes invulnerable, but it continues sinking for the 15 minutes, during this time it can repair hull to a point where it stops taking in water and then leave, or repair leaks then leave after those are over. If it still takes in water it sinks as usual and the player is killed. Harsh but fair at the same time considering people should obviously die with 0% structure damage when a battle is technically over. @admin

On 2/23/2019 at 11:48 PM, Knuddel said:

In either case, it should be the same outcome for both players. RNG/ping deciding this is just unfair and bad gameplay. So ether both or no one should lose a ship this way. I would like to have mine back.

This is a demand everyone could understand. What if both ships are technically sinking? Shoudn't this be a tie or should the faster sunk loose?

On 3/21/2019 at 10:38 AM, van Veen said:

Simple solution: boarding should be interrupted immediately when one ship sinks. If the other one is still just 99% sank (not 100%) and battle ends this moment, then that was just good luck and ok imho. 

THIS

On 3/21/2019 at 10:41 AM, admin said:

I understand. but it works both ways. Boarding must be resolved, even if both ships are sinking. Once it is resolved and battle is not over they will both sink once boarding ends. 

so a bug? caurse it wasnt like this. 1 ship survived. as you saw in a video....