Game-Labs Forum

Patch 29. Sextant, shallow water changes, improvements in the User interface.

admin

On 12/15/2018 at 2:58 AM, Sir Loorkon said:

Just an other thing. I had multiple PvP fights today but because I got ganked several times on OW I had no chance to loot most of the gankers I sunk. Over all I got more doubloons rewards from PvE (AI 5th rates) than from PvP (player 5th rates) today. That feels strange. Do not get me wrong I do not complain because I PvP for fun, not for doubloons, but the actual risk-reward relation of PvE and PvP seems/feels wrong to me. 

I like the repair suggestion in your post @Wyy

The amount of doubies is around 1/5 of the enemies' BR. If they were increased by lets say 100% Imagine a SOL fight, which you win. The loot and admirality reward would probably go towards 10k doubloons. Now the consequences would be abundancy of doubloons, even more as we have it now. Imo consequences would after a while be abundancy of ships like we had pre 27. We win some we lose some and thats okay. 

Don't forget to take hunt and s&d missions for 5th and 4th rates, they will also droo some doubloons from pvp. 

Im fine with how it is now,  nothing worse than a spam of SOLs making 5ths (and 4ths) useless, as this is the class in which people should learn pvping in.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

The amount of doubies is around 1/5 of the enemies' BR. If they were increased by lets say 100% Imagine a SOL fight, which you win. The loot and admirality reward would probably go towards 10k doubloons. Now the consequences would be abundancy of doubloons, even more as we have it now. Imo consequences would after a while be abundancy of ships like we had pre 27. We win some we lose some and thats okay. 

Don't forget to take hunt and s&d missions for 5th and 4th rates, they will also droo some doubloons from pvp. 

Im fine with how it is now,  nothing worse than a spam of SOLs making 5ths (and 4ths) useless, as this is the class in which people should learn pvping in.

I get your point. On the other hand when you PvE, you mostly do not risk your ship and you can get lots of doubloons. It's easy to time the sinking point of AI so you can loot nearly every ship. When fighting against the same amount of enemy players, you have high risk and you will most likely sink when you stop for looting. So the reward might be the same, the chance and risk to get it is not. The PvE reward should be lower (not the PvP reward higher).

On 12/13/2018 at 4:06 AM, Barbancourt said:

There are no "Safe Zones". 

I went through the whole PVE/PVP forum war in Elite Dangerous years ago where I play entirely PVE, and they did the right thing with keeping them (mostly) separate so everyone could enjoy the game (mostly) in their own way. PVE players don't want to be confined to a "kiddie pool" section of a larger game world. 

But the universe is the same, all activities from players contribute to the dynamics of the systems, and those same systems may be have influence changed and to the extreme - conquered, which doesn't happen in NA. Imagine the commotion where the Map is the same but ports get conquered...

Remember in NA we have full  allegiance system sandbox, ED is about reputation building sandbox.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Loorkon said:

I get your point. On the other hand when you PvE, you mostly do not risk your ship and you can get lots of doubloons. It's easy to time the sinking point of AI so you can loot nearly every ship. When fighting against the same amount of enemy players, you have high risk and you will most likely sink when you stop for looting. So the reward might be the same, the chance and risk to get it is not. The PvE reward should be lower (not the PvP reward higher).

I get that. Though I find it hard to understand how cutting PvE rewards is connected to PvP rewards. Do you feel treated unequally, let's say skill wise? Assuming PvP requires more skill than PvE, so the rewards should be deliberately higher? The way I see it: make PvE crowds happy and PvPers will be happy aswell. Therefore I don't see a reason to cut PvE rewards. It's basic biologies: 

144266239_Lotka-Volterra_model_(1.1_0.4_0.4_0.1).png.a5ab9505d9ecedfe804091d50cc1f70a.png

Happy prey = numberous prey = supplying numberous predators.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

I get that. Though I find it hard to understand how cutting PvE rewards is connected to PvP rewards. Do you feel treated unequally, let's say skill wise? Assuming PvP requires more skill than PvE, so the rewards should be deliberately higher? The way I see it: make PvE crowds happy and PvPers will be happy aswell. Therefore I don't see a reason to cut PvE rewards. It's basic biologies: 

144266239_Lotka-Volterra_model_(1.1_0.4_0.4_0.1).png.a5ab9505d9ecedfe804091d50cc1f70a.png

Happy prey = numberous prey = supplying numberous predators.

An other good point. I fear your comparison will not work, but let us see. IMO the caribians are flooded with doubloons for PvE. This may be good for RvR (I doubt it, because of other mechanics) and PvP. It may also lead to inflation and more broken economy and it may also not set a reward impulse for new players to do PvP. Why should I try to become a wolf when being a sheep is just so fine and comfortable? 

19 minutes ago, Sir Loorkon said:

An other good point. I fear your comparison will not work, but let us see. IMO the caribians are flooded with doubloons for PvE. This may be good for RvR (I doubt it, because of other mechanics) and PvP. It may also lead to inflation and more broken economy and it may also not set a reward impulse for new players to do PvP. Why should I try to become a wolf when being a sheep is just so fine and comfortable? 

because you may prefer pvp over pve, for example. I for one wouldn't play bridge instead of poker just to get an extra piece of cake.

IMO it is less important to reward skills or risk (ie giving more reward to PvP-ers) than to encourage as many players as possible to play NA and to sail in the OW, ppl with limited amount of time for playing and hardcore gamers alike.

Inflation ? The price of what you can buy in Amiralty (ship notes...) with doublons does not change...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

Inflation ? The price of what you can buy in Amiralty (ship notes...) with doublons does not change...

No, but the amount of available doubloons. E.g. navy lootsman was something special some month ago, it will be very common soon. Special upgrades will become common upgrades, other upgrades will be even more trash.

5 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

I see no problem with that. Same chances for everyone. If we must have "magic" then all must have access to it.

Exactly. But I wrote about inflation and this is exactly what it is. This leads to everything for everyone and this leads to the question: why do we need upgrades? Why do we have to buy ships?

5 minutes ago, Sir Loorkon said:

No, but the amount of available doubloons. E.g. navy lootsman was something special some month ago, it will be very common soon. Special upgrades will become common upgrades, other upgrades will be even more trash.

as a matter of fact, it is a deflation (when prices decrease).

5 minutes ago, Hethwill the Red Duke said:

I see no problem with that. Same chances for everyone. If we must have "magic" then all must have access to it.

indeed.

Just now, Sir Loorkon said:

Exactly. But I wrote about inflation and this is exactly what it is. This leads to everything for everyone and this leads to the question: why do we need upgrades? Why do we have to buy ships?

That is not true. You may intercept the enemy trade ships and steal their cargo hold contents. You may still engage enemy warships and plunder their hold and, if interested, capture their ship.

The logistics are quite on spot. Modules and Books and Perks are entire different and separate from ship building.

1 hour ago, Sir Loorkon said:

Tbh I'm nearly 100% certain that proper rewards in PvE will ensure a healthier server population. The more pveers have, the more they spent/are willing to risk. People like you and me will get fights, sink much and many and reduce inflation. I am truely convinced of this.

• Like 4

On 12/11/2018 at 12:32 PM, admin said:
  • Sextant perk
    • 2 points (price might change) perk will allow to determine your position at sea

• Barter resources are now spawned during the day (not immediately after maintenance)

First thing: Why not make a "common sextant" available for free to all, so that you can get a general idea of your positioning on the map (15-20km circle radius has been mentioned) and make a perk "experienced navigator" or "improved navigation equipment", that reduces the diameter of the circle by 75-90%?

Second thing: Would @admin pls mention, what resources are covered and in which harbours, and at what intervall? Also, it seems some ressources on stock have been removed. Was that intentional? (Speaking of not 10s, but 10000s of trading goods...)

31 minutes ago, Sir Loorkon said:

Because some players need "quests"....  

High End Loot is really one of the few single-player "quests" available in this game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gott365 said:

First thing: Why not make a "common sextant" available for free to all, so that you can get a general idea of your positioning on the map (15-20km circle radius has been mentioned) and make a perk "experienced navigator" or "improved navigation equipment", that reduces the diameter of the circle by 75-90%?

Second thing: Would @admin pls mention, what resources are covered and in which harbours, and at what intervall? Also, it seems some ressources on stock have been removed. Was that intentional? (Speaking of not 10s, but 10000s of trading goods...)

because sextants irl were accurate up to 200m, what could be cool is if you sailed through a storm or foggy weather the accuracy would be worse, then we could speak about accuracy for about 5k or something

On 12/11/2018 at 10:32 PM, admin said:
  • Shallow water based on draught of ships (experimental change)
    • All ships below 4m draught will be allowed into shallow waters and shallow water battles
    • This includes
      • Cerberus
      • Renommee
      • Pandora
      • Surprise (L Unite)
    • Hercules and LRQ will be allowed into shallow port battles. 

As much as I love my light frigates, how much of a market does this leave the 6th rates? (especially in the Nassau PZ). Super happy to see these ships getting more action, but at what cost? how many 6th rates will go out of fashion? I guess only time will tell...

also there is nothing I love more than losing my ship to a rage boarding LRQ. we should totally put these PTW ships in pbs.