Game-Labs Forum

Patch 26. Spanish Frigate Diana, BR rebalance - Diana is a timed reward.

admin

1 hour ago, z4ys said:

@admin any chance that we get a change of game physics that 2 ships entangled in boarding are seen by the game as 1 entity so that the gamey feature of pushing away during boarding ends?

Lol, you want that gamey feature removed when it's something that could realistically happen and then we are okay with completely ridiculous boarding physics that allow you to throw some ropes and pull thousand ton ships together (at speed), bringing both to a stop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Lol, you want that gamey feature removed when it's something that could realistically happen and then we are okay with completely ridiculous boarding physics that allow you to throw some ropes and pull thousand ton ships together (at speed), bringing both to a stop.

1. rigging can not get entangled
  2. ramming does not cause rigging dmg
  3. you can stick a bowsprit into the stern of an other 1st rate
  4. yards and bowsprit have no colider only sides and bow/stern have

Yeah I am ok with that you can pull 100000 tons of ships together thats necessary because of of the simplification lvl the game has.

But pushing someone out of boarding ist just gamey and not a simplification.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, z4ys said:
  1. rigging can not get entangled
  2. ramming does not cause rigging dmg
  3. you can stick a bowsprit into the stern of an other 1st rate
  4. yards and bowsprit have no colider only sides and bow/stern have

Yeah I am ok with that you can pull 100000 tons of ships together thats necessary because of of the simplification lvl the game has.

But pushing someone out of boarding ist just gamey and not a simplification.

So the ship pushing you could instead join the boarding combat, right? Or do you just want to get a cheesy kill in a hopeless situation because you managed to 'pull' someone?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Le Raf Boom said:

So the ship pushing you could instead join the boarding combat, right? Or do you just want to get a cheesy kill in a hopeless situation because you managed to 'pull' someone?

Whats more cheesy?

Ship that rams ongoing boarding action will come to a stop, like it has crashed into "shallows".

Sounds good and credible - entanglement, "no damage" ram, etc.

When coming to a halt they the involved ships can continue boarding actions in sequence, with the second ship or a third or a fourth IF it comes to that, like after a disengage or boarding gets resolved.

2 hours ago, admin said:

There is no positive outcome for the straggling black ship if black fleet does not defend. So why pro-long the struggle?

Oh I agree! Black fleet must fight! The mistake 95% of even good pvpers is that they kite to long. Black fleet in this case needs to react as fast as possible. I love the idea of boarding and think I myself even mentioned something like this system. I really hope it works out because it's far more realistic imo. 

• Like 1

I see we are keeping this up.

We again need to see real values and potential application and new tactics developed by players.

The balance can be tricky because the idea itself is fine (no need to turn a ship against the wind) BUT we need to see real numbers (which is speed maximum differential? is there a maximum speed allowed?).

As nerfing the magical silliness of DD is fine. BUT if we get a super buffed "barricades" will change a standard anti-boarding meta (DD) with another (Barricades).
I'd like to repeat that already a 300ish full boarder has almost zero chances to kill a 300ish barricaded defender with a clue in 4-6 rounds: defender can almost simply stay in brace. Defender will lose more man than attacker, but not to such a degree making him dead in 4-6 rounds, both crew and morale wise.

An even more buffed barricade will allow defender to make even something weird or stupid... and still being able to safely disengage.
In the end we could end having this supposed "pro boarders" hotfix hurting them far more: "I can board easier and faster... but I cant win the boarding". Is this intended?

The fun part, looking at this, it could push boarding (as well noted initially by @rediii and then others) from being one viable (really in the past, not so much now with DD) tactic by itself, to being an "exploit" to stop enemy and let mates to kill him by gunnery...

6 minutes ago, Angus MacDuff said:

Good.  Boarding takes a long time and often, both crews are severely depleted and/or exhausted.  If other warships are in the battle they should have a big impact...either blasting you with gunfire or joining the boarding action.  There is precedent for that.

Among similar crew sized ships not already depleted, if both with some boarding clue and gear, it takes a bulkload of time. Please remember that 1h30m battle is a whole day in real (the reason behind allowing infinite repair - I remember a devs post saying this).

6 minutes ago, Liq said:

another thing id like to see for the next patch gameplay wise is that once one side of a ship is down completely (0% HP left), sternraking should deal way more damage to the internal strucutre. 

I think in general - as your broadside hps lower you increasingly lose more crew and internal structure with each cannon ball.

It should create an incentive to repair early and discourage those who repair (late) when they lose all their hps to trick the opponent that you have sunk (when in reality repairs essentially bring you back to life). A person throwing a beatdown on someone should still feel like they did significant damage even if they repair those HPs again.

Maybe repairs should only be 50% effective for your internal structure? 

Edited by Teutonic

1 hour ago, Teutonic said:

Maybe repairs should only be 50% effective for your internal structure? 

in general i tend to think that more damage should go to internal structure than now.. to often ships end up with no planking on one side and almost intact structure.

• Like 12

36 minutes ago, admin said:

in general i tend to think that more damage should go to internal structure than now.. to often ships end up with no planking on one side and almost intact structure.

is there a possibility to let the structure damage start in the center and go outwards? like you have several structure hitboxes, so we can see which part of the ships broadside has a weak spot?

Edited by Guest

53 minutes ago, admin said:

I agree with this. Protecting your weak side is more important than protecting your ship.

I also feel bow and stern tanking is way too effective against ball as it barely scratches your structure to get raked.

56 minutes ago, admin said:

To many people give up the stern to protect the side armor because ball raking is marginally effective. There's a happy medium between the initial rake damage changes we had 8-9 months ago and where it is now. Having it do significant structure damage would be a step in right direction

• Like 3

1 hour ago, admin said:

I agree and would encourage a change. 

I am all for tanking through damage and having fights that last a while. But it is equally frustrating to see hard fought damage amount to very little once someone repairs. I am not against repairing multiple times in battle - i just hate seeing that i spend effort in taking down hps to get into their structure only to have them heal their structure just as effectively as side armor (or all armor in general).

I advocate that structure damage can certainly be healed - but there should be some feeling of 'permanent' damage to structure. Again, we should be encouraged to repair earlier to keep our ship structure safe, instead of using it as the indicator of when to repair.

47 minutes ago, Le Raf Boom said:

And while we're at it, let's limit the amount of grape a ship carries, kind of like chain. Nobody should be graped for 1hr30mins.

36 minutes ago, admin said:

hmmm

I am inclined to agree. And rum action has such a long cooldown that it probably wouldn't bother me if grape was limited. 3-4 shots per cannon?

Edited by Teutonic

The amount of scope creep is astounding.

Let's recap a sec. We have:

- 1 brand-new ship (Diana) that is neither craftable nor purchaseable.
- 1 brand-new ship with an old ship's stats (Connie Classic)  that is neither craftable nor purchaseable, and also (according to admin) is due to have a stat buff to be a proper super frigate.
- Oh and by the way Connie Classic MAY or MAY NOT be a DLC (even though devs know that fools like me will run out and buy it within seconds of release).
- Herc and Requin that may or may not be properly balanced yet (?), and require delicate touch because people paid real $$$ for them.
- Port UI waiting in the wings.
- Economy patch waiting in the wings.

That's a SHEDLOAD of work. Devs, I get you that y'all are supermen, but even Superman has only 24 hours in each day and 7 days in each week. Maybe, sort out the things that are already in the pipeline and people have been waiting for before even more mechanic tweakage (like structure damage, grape, major boarding changes)? Especially since the more visible changes like port UI will have a noticeable impact on how newcomers perceive the game; and the economy patch has a good chance to turn the whole world on its head because that's what economy patches do more often than not.

Just sayin'. Not doubting y'all's abilities to deliver here, just questioning the focus.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ahoy H.R. Matey said:

-1 brand-new ship (Diana) that is neither craftable nor purchaseable. She will be craftable acording to devs
-Oh and by the way Connie Classic MAY or MAY NOT be a DLC (even though devs know that fools like me will run out and buy it within seconds of release).I would buy her too
-Herc and Requin that may or may not be properly balanced yet (?), and require delicate touch because people paid real $$$ for them. true