Game-Labs Forum

Patch 26. Spanish Frigate Diana, BR rebalance - Diana is a timed reward.

admin

6 minutes ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

Maximum vector of 5 kts... looks damn too high IMO: way too easy to get chances to start a pull (vs a 8kts ship - so very often ANY 1st rate) required speed for attacker is 3-13kts.

it was 8 before

Would it not be better to create some kind of boarding curve where speed is a larger influence on what you can and can't board say a system like this:

image.png.f829427099f9a784cddaddb82810ae25.png

8kn - 0.5 difference
7kn - 0.75kn difference
6kn - 1kn difference
5kn - 1.25kn difference
4kn - 1.5kn difference
3kn - 2kn difference
2kn - 2.5kn difference
1kn - 3kn difference
0kn - 3.5kn difference

Giving a curve to the numbers would mean more need to match speed, it would also take away some of the madness of the idea where a ship going 8kn could pull a ship going 4kn as the current numbers of the notes state. 4kns difference would do catastrophic damage to the ships and their rigging should they decide to pull each other in as has been pointed out earlier in the thread.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

Okay I don't have a clue about maths :D I'm talking about the vector modulus (google translate also gives magnitude, though i guess that's more physics) of two moving objects in a two dimensional space(?). That better? Anyways I think you know what I mean :) 

image.png.2add857766709d8f95a8734fccd17145.png

Edited by z4ys

4 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Guys, enough of Off Topic. 

Test and Discuss. Post ingame recordings and all that to help the brainstorm.

Oh... I have such a hard urge to state that 'you're not the boss of me', but my more mature side says 'FINE!!!! I'LL TEST THE DAMNABLE MECHANIC BUT I WON'T LIKE IT!' and slam the door to my room..

2 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

Thank you. If one of those (non force but speed) vectors of your example is negative (one ship sailing foreward, one backwards) the resulting vector was much smaller = delta. @Suppenkelle can you do the math thingy for me plz ;) 

if one ship sails backwards with 5kn and the other forward with 3kn you can board him. But not sure if boarding will break anyway because of speration that will result while droping sails. Will only work small ship vs big ship because big ships always seemed to have more force when it came to pulling.

Edited by z4ys

2 minutes ago, Palatinose said:

Correct. But I state delta is 2kn and not 8. Sorry I'm a terrible smartass sometimes, I need this solved 🙈

1kn forward 1kn backward

0,5kn forward 1,5kn backward

0,25kn forward 1,75kn backward

0kn forward 2kn backward

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hethwill the Harmless said:

Guys, enough of Off Topic. 

Test and Discuss. Post ingame recordings and all that to help the brainstorm.

I'll pop on and buy a crew space ship some point and try, but tbh will more sit out and watch for results and see if is what i mentally predict. 

I think is to try and stop hugging and make sterncamping harder, but will i expect make hugging more common and all battles fought downwind as nobody wants to risk going upwind or god forbid tacking through.

Awaits forum reflection and blissfully explore the galaxy.

Gl testing, will await the reflection of data.

2 minutes ago, Dibbler said:

nobody wants to risk going upwind or god forbid tacking through.

majority of boardings initiate by pushing the target into the wind. Same with tacking - you get below 4 knots when tacking and can get boarded anyway. There is no difference with old mechanics when upwind or into the wind, with the exception of speed difference which is now lower so you have to be more precise. 

10 minutes ago, admin said:

majority of boardings initiate by pushing the target into the wind. Same with tacking - you get below 4 knots when tacking and can get boarded anyway. There is no difference with old mechanics when upwind or into the wind, with the exception of speed difference which is now lower so you have to be more precise. 

I think could work, but by making DD now a defunct perk will i think just create crew space/rage board meta.

Will see though, perhaps will have whatever effect you were hoping for.

For myself though will sit and watch for few days to see effects,  all will do i think is make it easier to board people and crew space meta.

Which tbh won't improve game for myself, as most engagements will be rock/paper/scissors. Am ok at boarding, have books etc, just will be mindless rageboarding but we have that already with req.

Edited by Dibbler