Game-Labs Forum

Patch 16: Control, Mast and Ship strengths rebalance.

admin

Naturally everyone is crying. I will say it every patch note. THIS IS AN ALPHA GAME! Be happy you are getting updates at all.

We have gotten a patch every week and the @admin has been nice enough to give up updates in dev forums on future updates.

Also please stop with the word "release". The game will go Beta not be released as a final product.

I would also like to remind everyone that you bought this game to test it, not get a final product.

First rates are getting completely out of whack. What's my reason to sail a Victory now? No idea.

They all need a good hard lookin' at now. Santi is pretty much the only game in town after the carronade buff: nothing can even come close to touching its firepower. It is also the second best sailer of the 1st rates. Victory has a small crew, fewer HP and fewer guns. Oh yeah, it can turn better - not a big deal really. L'Ocean, one of the most advanced SOLs ever built, is only a hair better in terms of firepower, but in game it's a big fat ship that can't get out of its own way. If you want to turn it, you need to submit a Rotation Request to the Department of Naval Headings three months in advance, and in triplicate. It is, in fact, a lot like Santi was pre-wipe, but without the benefit of massively superior firepower.

Vic needs something. L'O needs something. This not an ask to nerf Santi. That's an ask to buff the other two.

Edited by Ahoy H.R. Matey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, victor said:

Not really, since the pursuer has bow chasers that can lower your sails, while you have no stern cannons and cannot do the same, yet the control perk keeps you engaged in the combat.

Why SHOULD you get away in this scenario?? You have no stern chasers, the enemy is faster than you and has bow chasers. In what world should you get to magically disappear to safety because he missed a chaser shot?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Maybe the 42's where not on the ship after all that we have in game as this was the Victory before the current one we have in game.  Though with the NYE cannons in game it would be interesting to see some other variations of cannons put into game as special rewards or buys.  

Nelson's Victory mounted 42-pdrs at one point, but the Royal Navy stopped using the gun across the board, because reloading the things was exhausting.

Vic needs something. L'O needs something. This not an ask to nerf Santi. That's an ask to buff the other two.

Why not nerf Santi? She should be terrible at everything but firepower and tanking.

On the flipside, everyone was astonished by the maneuverability of the Ocean-class, but they were extremely fragile by 1st Rate standards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maturin said:

Nelson's Victory mounted 42-pdrs at one point, but the Royal Navy stopped using the gun across the board, because reloading the things was exhausting.

Why not nerf Santi? She should be terrible at everything but firepower and tanking.

On the flipside, everyone was astonished by the maneuverability of the Ocean-class, but they were extremely fragile by 1st Rate standards.

Yah that is why I'm actually saying keep the 42's on the Vict and Pavel (can't find data on her but I'm half tired).  Give the L'Ocean, Bucc and Santi the 36's.   Hell I actually would love to see one US SOL even if it's a 2-3rd rate cause they put 32's on all there decks.  Would be intersting to see a ship that double deck 32's.

But it really doesn't matter with the pen changes every thing pens first rates like crazy so if you out number one it can't even tank damage and is sunk fast.  I'm just waiting for some one to bring out an all 12 lb L'oceans or something to DPS the crap out of every one lol

14 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

NPC Connie demasted me after 10-15 minutes battle... GG new mast thickness. It was only 1v1 against Connie, imagine Fleet missions, Epic Events and hostility missions.

unknown.png

Fleet missions already broken, 

1. Mission spawns ships 1 rate higher (make it impossible to finish it in most case scenarios if you solo, especially for new guys this is game killer. You will fight 2nd rate, 3rd rate, 4th rate vs your 3rd rate.

2. NPC are pros, they fire and turn on dime. If you can't sail or aim you are dead. Once again new guys will have very difficult time here. This makes fleet missions only good entertainment for Vets.  

3. NPC run and snipe from distance. Sometimes you have to chase them down and this makes gameplay boring. 

4. NPC easily penetrate armor even on Teak WO, you must tank now if you want to remain competitive and survive fleet missions. 

5. You can't run fleet missions without fleet perk. Mission difficulty is so high you will be required to get at least another friendly ship with you. I had bellona and agamemnon and could not finish the mission. 2nd rate got teak/wo agamemnon down so quickly I had to make it run. Leaving me 1 vs 3. Ship stretching might work , but very difficult to pull now. Completely Out of balance.

6. Must run repairs all the time. 

Edited by H2O
  • Like 1

Just now, H2O said:

1. Mission spawns ships 1 rate higher (make it impossible to finish it in most case scenarios if you solo, especially for new guys this is game killer. 

2. NPC are pros, they fire and turn on dime. If you can't sail or aim you are dead. Once again new guys will have very difficult time here. This makes fleet missions only good entertainment for Vets.  

3. NPC run and snipe from distance. Sometimes you have to chase them down and this makes gameplay boring. 

1. I have never been in a fleet mission in which enemy ships are a higher rate than me. Almost always they are a rate lower, with a couple equal rated.

2. Only thing NPC's can do that is special is brake on a dime at full sail without swinging their yards into the wind. Other than that, they aren't overly intelligent. It's easy to predict their moves and plan accordingly. They don't hold their shots most of the time so bouncing shots becomes easy.

3. You mean you would rather them turn in circles slinging broadsides until they sink every time? That sounds boring. The only reason you think it's boring is because you go out hunting ai for drops and them getting separation makes it take longer. That's not an AI problem though.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Fashion said:

1. I have never been in a fleet mission in which enemy ships are a higher rate than me. Almost always they are a rate lower, with a couple equal rated.

2. Only thing NPC's can do that is special is brake on a dime at full sail without swinging their yards into the wind. Other than that, they aren't overly intelligent. It's easy to predict their moves and plan accordingly. They don't hold their shots most of the time so bouncing shots becomes easy.

3. You mean you would rather them turn in circles slinging broadsides until they sink every time? That sounds boring. The only reason you think it's boring is because you go out hunting ai for drops and them getting separation makes it take longer. That's not an AI problem though.

pick 3rd rate fleet mission it will spawn pavel, 3rd rate, constitution . I am not imagining things. Tested yesterday as well. 

Edited by H2O
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bristol Fashion said:

I'll try it out when I get home tonight, never done a 3rd rate fleeter.

Run it couple times until you get a 2nd rate combination. I have to test other fleets for same problem. Mission clearly cays up to 3rd rate ships, but spawns 2nd rates. 

Edited by H2O

8 minutes ago, H2O said:

1. Mission spawns ships 1 rate higher (make it impossible to finish it in most case scenarios if you solo, especially for new guys this is game killer. 

I really love how folks don't understand what the word fleet means.  Your not suppose to solo fleets.  I mean you can if your good and know what your doing, but not the average joe solo ship.   As for spawn ships I did solo missions and got either same level ship or two ships below me just now.  I Also engaged a OW fleet of Connie, Merc and 2 Navy Brigs with my Indefatable and killed all three with only amor lost from my broad side to broad side with the connie.  The other little nats where annoying though.  Do admit they tend to turn and stop to fast for realistic play at times.  Even more annoying how they keep firing when they are half full of water and than suddenlys top so you blow past them when trying to loot.

fleet1
flēt/
noun

1. a group of ships sailing together, engaged in the same activity, or under the same ownership.
    "the small port supports a fishing fleet"
    • a country's navy.
      noun: the fleet
      "the US fleet"
      synonyms: navy, naval force, (naval) task force, armada, flotilla, squadron, convoy
      "the fleet set sail"
    • a number of vehicles or aircraft operating together or under the same ownership.
      "a fleet of ambulances took the injured to hospital"
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Molder169 said:

Naturally everyone is crying. I will say it every patch note. THIS IS AN ALPHA GAME! Be happy you are getting updates at all.

We have gotten a patch every week and the @admin has been nice enough to give up updates in dev forums on future updates.

Also please stop with the word "release". The game will go Beta not be released as a final product.

I would also like to remind everyone that you bought this game to test it, not get a final product.

I have - as many other people posting here - around 4500 hours of testing in this alpha. Try to be gentle with old people.

We are already quite grumpy ... you will become.

Edited by victor

7 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I really love how folks don't understand what the word fleet means.  Your not suppose to solo fleets.  I mean you can if your good and know what your doing, but not the average joe solo ship.   As for spawn ships I did solo missions and got either same level ship or two ships below me just now.  I Also engaged a OW fleet of Connie, Merc and 2 Navy Brigs with my Indefatable and killed all three with only amor lost from my broad side to broad side with the connie.  The other little nats where annoying though.  Do admit they tend to turn and stop to fast for realistic play at times.  Even more annoying how they keep firing when they are half full of water and than suddenlys top so you blow past them when trying to loot.

fleet1
flēt/
noun

1. a group of ships sailing together, engaged in the same activity, or under the same ownership.
    "the small port supports a fishing fleet"
    • a country's navy.
      noun: the fleet
      "the US fleet"
      synonyms: navy, naval force, (naval) task force, armada, flotilla, squadron, convoy
      "the fleet set sail"
    • a number of vehicles or aircraft operating together or under the same ownership.
      "a fleet of ambulances took the injured to hospital"

Dude don't be smart copying/pasting wikipedia. Take out Bellona and go solo 3rd rate mission and report back here with result. Take a deep breath it helps to talk calmly on Teamspeak as well as forums.  

Not supposed to solo? Then maybe there should be a big and clear tag saying do not solo! :)

Edited by H2O

Just now, Sir Texas Sir said:

I used to think that the stopping on a dime was an AI thing to avoid looting too but having just recently had the misfortune of being in a sinking ship I believe it might actually be the new structure vs. speed mechanic that was added a few patches ago. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, H2O said:

1. Mission spawns ships 1 rate higher (make it impossible to finish it in most case scenarios if you solo, especially for new guys this is game killer. You will fight 2nd rate, 3rd rate, 4th rate vs your 3rd rate.

4. NPC easily penetrate armor even on Teak WO, you must tank now if you want to remain competitive and survive fleet missions. 

5. You can't run fleet missions without fleet perk. Mission difficulty is so high you will be required to get at least another friendly ship with you. I had bellona and agamemnon and could not finish the mission. 2nd rate got teak/wo agamemnon down so quickly I had to make it run. Leaving me 1 vs 3. Ship stretching might work , but very difficult to pull now. Completely Out of balance.

6. Must run repairs all the time. 

Fleet missions are meant to be run by fleets.

The ability to solo them was the bug. This is the fix.

• Like 2

Just now, H2O said:

Dude don't be smart copying/pasting wikipedia. Take out Bellona and go solo 3rd rate mission and report back here with result. Take a deep breath it helps to talk calmly on Teamspeak as well as forums.  

It wasn't the wiki, it was the dictionary, that thing that was around before spellcheck.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

Not supposed to solo? Then maybe there should be a big and clear tag saying do not solo! :)

They do say that.... the name implies that.

FLEET... not SOLO or SINGLE.