Game-Labs Forum

Patch 12. Caribbean invasion

admin

10 hours ago, Zoky said:

Learn your angles :) If bow moves 15 degrees to left then stern must move 15 degrees to right. If bow goes 15 degrees up then stern must go 15 degrees down. Besides I have nothing against vertical motion of bow guns, problem is horizontal accuracy

EDIT: @Ink@admin Its late and you are probably sleeping so can you answer tomorrow? You know, talking to community and all that

No its not that easy, the ship hull is more flexible, of course the back will move but not nessesary 15°.

1 hour ago, Lonar said:

No its not that easy, the ship hull is more flexible, of course the back will move but not nessesary 15°.

so 14 degrees 59 minutes 59 seconds? I mean how much can it realistically bend? More than a degree? 

@Ink @admin We are still waiting for the answer. It is 10am cest so wake up ☕🕙

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rediii said:

Its probably just a gameplay feature where devs want to make it easier to escape with your ship

Cant see a problem there

So laser guided sniper accurate blessed by God chain dispenser is not bothering you? How? Tell us your secret, what herbs do you use :)

@Ink @admin

can you at least least tell me to stfu? Even that's more preferable to silence

EDIT: If you tell me to stfu I will get very angry at you

Edited by Zoky
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, rediii said:

Back on topic:

Its a bit difficult to ro missions at shroud cay because if another player from a different nation starts there you can join his side in a battle and efficiently grirf him by green on green.

In a high population / bigger grow case it would maybe end in griefing.

Why not let new nation players spawn at closest nation port from shroud cay?

So it would be green cay for prussia, something on hidden islands for russia and santo domingo region for poland?

I'd imagine if this idea becomes popular the nations concerned could get their own capital area , perhaps smaller than the easier nations but with 20km reinforcement zones to protect their noobies. Perhaps spread the new nations about around the map. Hopefully at the weekend when there are often more people playing we will see more players moving to the new nations.

If we really wanted to make the newer nations a much harder experience we could leave them with no noobie zone , a tax break for not paying for reinforcements and perhaps a tax increase on nations with reinforcements. Clans should be sending tax back to their nation also IMHO to pay for Capital upkeep and keep the Royalty in their jewels

Right now it seems there is no penalty for gobbling lots of dots as the tax on upgrade resource ports can pay enough to cover many other less profitable areas. I'd also like to see all very valuable upgrade / very rare resources not sitting behind national reinforcement zones. We should be able to fight over them , not have to get an alt to place a contract and wait

13 hours ago, Zoky said:

Learn your angles :) If bow moves 15 degrees to left then stern must move 15 degrees to right. If bow goes 15 degrees up then stern must go 15 degrees down. Besides I have nothing against vertical motion of bow guns, problem is horizontal accuracy

EDIT: @Ink@admin Its late and you are probably sleeping so can you answer tomorrow? You know, talking to community and all that

the bow of a ship is more unstable than the stern .. the effect of the waves causes a corkscrew effect as the bow moves through vertical plane and horizontal ... the movement is reduced as you move down the ship and at its minimum at its center of gravity ...

3 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

the bow of a ship is more unstable than the stern .. the effect of the waves causes a corkscrew effect as the bow moves through vertical plane and horizontal ... the movement is reduced as you move down the ship and at its minimum at its center of gravity ...

is that like "Pitched Poled...?"

2 minutes ago, Norfolk nChance said:

is that like "Pitched Poled...?"

im know way an expert but i believe in a sailing ship the nearer the stern you can get a ships center of gravity the faster it will go ...

pitch poling is a term where the ship somersaults  stern over bow  ... usually when coming through heavy surf .. and in a small boat .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

im know way an expert but i believe in a sailing ship the nearer the stern you can get a ships center of gravity the faster it will go ...

pitch poling is a term where the ship somersaults  stern over bow  ... usually when coming through heavy surf .. and in a small boat .

Sound's good... doesn't work like this. Buoyancy is distributed over the whole length of the hull. The buoyancy distribution reflects  the distribution of the weight of the ship. Concentrating this all too near to the stern will lead to quite funny behavior but not to a fast ship. (This was completely oversimplified by me, please don't start a discussion on hydrodynamics here :)) But Pitch poling is indeed a nice thing (1:45 min):

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suppenkelle said:

Sound's good... doesn't work like this. Buoyancy is distributed over the whole length of the hull. The buoyancy distribution reflects  the distribution of the weight of the ship. Concentrating this all too near to the stern will lead to quite funny behavior but not to a fast ship. (This was completely oversimplified by me, please don't start a discussion on hydrodynamics here :)) But Pitch poling is indeed a nice thing (1:45 min):

as i said im no expert ...but i wasnt talking about weight i was talking about center of gravity ... due to hull shape and the effect that has on buoyancy .. the ships center of gravity may not be the same place as where the most weight is ? ... not wanting an argument about hydrodynamics as i know very little ...

was replying to poster that claimed that the stern of a ship will react in an opposite manner to the bow of a ship ... my 12 years at sea .. tell me that the stern of a ship was always more stable than the bow and would have made for a more accurate gun platfor

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

as i said im no expert ...but i wasnt talking about weight i was talking about center of gravity ... due to hull shape and the effect that has on buoyancy .. the ships center of gravity may not be the same place as where the most weight is ? ... not wanting an argument about hydrodynamics as i know very little ...

was replying to poster that claimed that the stern of a ship will react in an opposite manner to the bow of a ship ... my 12 years at sea .. tell me that the stern of a ship was always more stable than the bow and would have made for a more accurate gun platfor

Take a bar-bell as example: weight clearly concentrated at the ends, center of gravity in the middle. Remove one of the weights (like you suggested: putting weight as much as possible to the stern) and your bar-bell would be extremely out of balance.

Regarding the stable stern: I guess there are two factors to consider: a) in heavy seas the ship will be steered into the waves with a minimum amount of speed. You know from experience, that the front of the wave is steeper than it's back. The front hits the bow, the back lifts the stern. So the stern seems to be less affected. b ) it might be a matter of perspective too: standing in the wheelhouse the bow looks like it is lifting up and down in waves compared to your standpoint. Whereas viewed from an outside standpoint you can see the bow and stern moving relatively to each other. So, stern is more quiet than bow but no stable platform either. look from 0:45...

• Like 1

its actually because the bow of the ship will ride over the wave ..while the rest of the ship will tend to pass  through or sink into the wave ... for whatever reason the stern is always more stable than the bow ... your video shows extreme weather conditions not really a good example .. again i cannot quote you the exact mechanics of why .. but experience tells me i would rather have a cabin at the stern of a ship than in the bow ..,, its more stable

• Like 1

Hyper accurate stern chaser encourages speed meta. If I want to catch someone I need to be much faster then them since they can just chain me down while I approach. And few more things:

1. Even if we take as granted that stern is more stable, it's still ridiculous how accurate stern guns are with chain. Like I said before I have no problem with vertical motion of bow guns but with horizontal accuracy. Even If again we take bending ship as granted it's still made of tick wood and not of rubber dildos :)

2. You said that it's probably mechanic to protect new guys and I strongly disagree with that. New guy would not be proficient enough to know how to exploit stern accuracy, just as new guys don't know rules about safe zones and got sunk all the time

3. Regarding off-topic, I disagree with you. Devs clearly don't care about OW PvP as much as I would like so we need to grab there attention at every opportunity and made them talk about issues that concern us.

@Ink

Edited by Zoky
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rediii said:

Also I have no idea who you are in naval action so I dont know if you hunt alone or not. Choose your ingame name in forum if you want people to know who you are ingame. :D

Peter goldman is "banished privateer" or srupl for short.

6 minutes ago, rediii said:
9 minutes ago, Zoky said:

Speed meta is present since I play the game. It was present at every stage and you cant change it in this setup we have now. Speed will allways be one of the most important thing

Like I said I't didn't cause speed meta but it certainly encourages it. And what about #1 and #3 :) 

Edited by Zoky
  • Like 1

Has anyone experienced more ow pvp because of tow?

I have not.

But what i have done. I sailed with a basic cutter to a port made an outpost and towed my ship for the pb.

Edited by z4ys
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, z4ys said:

Has anyone experienced more ow pvp because of tow?

I have not.

But what i have done. I sailed with a basic cutter to a port made an outpost and towed my ship for the pb.

I still find traders, but honestly pvp scarcity is still the same as it was previous patch, only this time people have ships ready for the port battle they setup. At least i know where to sail to get pvp, but i see the same names everyday.

Edited by Teutonic

3 hours ago, Zoky said:

Hyper accurate stern chaser encourages speed meta. If I want to catch someone I need to be much faster then them since they can just chain me down while I approach. And few more things:

1. Even if we take as granted that stern is more stable, it's still ridiculous how accurate stern guns are with chain. Like I said before I have no problem with vertical motion of bow guns but with horizontal accuracy. Even If again we take bending ship as granted it's still made of tick wood and not of rubber dildos :)

2. You said that it's probably mechanic to protect new guys and I strongly disagree with that. New guy would not be proficient enough to know how to exploit stern accuracy, just as new guys don't know rules about safe zones and got sunk all the time

3. Regarding off-topic, I disagree with you. Devs clearly don't care about OW PvP as much as I would like so we need to grab there attention at every opportunity and made them talk about issues that concern us.

@Ink

the opposite effect is having un accurate stern chasers  encourages the speed meta for those that dont want a fight ..as they need to be much faster to escape

if you dont want a stern chase  use a bit of skill and get a better tag  and start the battle broadside to broadside ...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Grundgemunkey said:

the opposite effect is having un accurate stern chasers  encourages the speed meta for those that dont want a fight ..as they need to be much faster to escape

if you dont want a stern chase  use a bit of skill and get a better tag  and start the battle broadside to broadside ...

I agree with this.

No matter the target solution, the speed meta has been here since the launch of the OW.

Last year it was the OP trinc, then the connie, then the bellona, now it's the wasa and pfrig.

Personally, i think the super accurate stern guns are justified and don't take away from the chase or the battle in general.

• Like 1

I think these twitter-length static descriptions for nation difficulty aren't just good enough. Give it another week and the Russians will hold so many ports, it doesn't even matter that they're 0-portable, because by then it will be obvious they'll never be.  The only difference between the new nations and the old ones will be that the new nations do not miss any tax income because always all ports they own are owned by clans and the reinforcement areas - for much longer they'll be around is unknown anyways.

By the way, under Map - conquest information - Contested - most ports are missing. It only shows two right now (Maracaibo and Santo Domingo), which are capitals, probably the reason right there. None of the other contested ports right now are.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:35 PM, rediii said:

You just dont know what im talking about.

If someone runs away its for a reason. He doesnt want to fight you. If you now make it harder with mechanics for him to flee you just get a bigger pissed off population so you make it a bit easier for these guys.

If the last year, year and a half have taught us anything, it is that 80-90% of people will try to immediately disengage from a fight unless they're at a decent advantage (at which point the other guy will try to disengage). Even if they're in shitty shop-bought or NPC-captured ships.

I think Peter's (Banished Privateer's) point is that the current system only makes chasing down enemies viable if you significantly outnumber them, which denies fights that are closer to being equal from occurring and promotes people to gang up and take on outmatched targets even if it's just for the sake of catching anyone.

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

Situation:

a)I am outside reinforcement zone. My target is outside the zone. I get close to him and start tagging. He runs towards port. 1-2 seconds before tagging ends, target enters reinforcement zone and b). I get chased for 20 minutes in battle by 2 Santis and player... This is a huge issue. I don't see the reinforcement borders, nor on map or OW so I have no hello kittying clue if I can't tag someone or not. 

I was in endymion, player was in wasa. Would be a nice 1v1, c) is that a gank protection or PvP protection?

This what I think:

a) Tells me that you were aware of the situation.

b). That is the consequence of your action and a risk that you took knowingly you were that close to the reinforcement zones.

c) It's called reinforcement zones aka safe zones.

d) You could be hunting in the rest of 90% of the map and wouldn't have these issues.

e) It's your choice how to play the game but I don't think the game should protect you from your choices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

Situation:

I am outside reinforcement zone. My target is outside the zone. I get close to him and start tagging. He runs towards port. 1-2 seconds before tagging ends, target enters reinforcement zone and I get chased for 20 minutes in battle by 2 Santis and player... This is a huge issue. I don't see the reinforcement borders, nor on map or OW so I have no hello kittying clue if I can't tag someone or not. 

I was in endymion, player was in wasa. Would be a nice 1v1, is that a gank protection or PvP protection?

It would be extremely helpful if we could see the borders of the safe zones in OW but that sound very resource intensive.

What about a message "Target in Reinforcement Zone" along with a "Cancel Attack" button? I've often wanted such a button when I realized the tag was bad, I've decided not to engage, or I realize I'm about to pull in a 1500 BR AI fleet.