Game-Labs Forum

What is the PVE server for ?

18 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

What was I thinking! of course it is not you, it's always somebody else!

In this case numbers don't lie. If PVE only is what players wanted the server would have a lot if players which it simply does not.

PVE server needs to be more than a barely interactive screen saver in order to be viable. 

A good start would be aggressive  AI, but I have a feeling adding anything challenging would kill the game for you.

16 minutes ago, HarryButpain said:

well, I bet we also have quite a few of 'age of sail nerds' in NA who couldn't care less about the competitive world of pvp. Maybe they're perfectly content with their nice looking miniatures :)

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head. Like the saying goes "if it floats your boat, then sail".

4 minutes ago, Justme said:

In this case numbers don't lie. If PVE only is what players wanted the server would have a lot if players which it simply does not.

PVE server needs to be more than a barely interactive screen saver in order to be viable. 

A good start would be aggressive  AI, but I have a feeling adding anything challenging would kill the game for you.

I appreciate the fact that you "worry" about the PvE server, but I think your energy would be better spent providing feedback and suggesting solutions to the PvP issues. You seem to be an experienced PvP player who thrives in hardcore competitiveness, you should definitely be more active in helping PvP game play become what you feel/think it should be.

As far as the less competitive game play on the PvE server, I think it would be a waste of your time, talent and energy to focus on that or even engage in debates with people like me, who will never reach your level of competitiveness or have any inclination towards attaining it.

• Like 1

Hate PVE server myself, at best it seems like an overextended tutorial.

TBH I would rather play Sid meier's pirates ( been playing it over 20 years) than ever touch the PVE server again, hell even on " easy " Sid Meirs pirates offers a more compelling and meaningfull gameplay experience.

Pretty sorry state of affairs when a 20+ year old game can do that over a modern one.

• Like 1

I think pve players want big challenging AI fleets in the open world. You could make it so that you add several different difficulty levels to every individual AI opponent. Like a grey nametag or star next to the name for the easiest and golden for the hardest to defeat. They drop rewards accordingly. Do that with fleets and maybe even with ports. Players would grind hostility in regions of other nations by sinking AI fleets. Some ports will be grey difficulty ports (easy), some will be golden difficulty (hardest). Players will fight port battles against AI according to the port's difficulty level. Naturally, other nations won't lose their ports. Players of other nations merely sail to foreign ports to grind hostility and trigger a port battle, which doesn't effect the local population there since they cannot attack AI fleets of their own nation anyway. 

Only thing devs would have to do, besides the coding for the suggested changes to establish some sort of end-game content for pve server, is to come up with some cool rewards like paints, perhaps permits for special ships and so on.. 

Edited by HarryButpain
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Justme said:

That's hilarious, since the agressive AI was removed because of pvp players, and pve players asked for it to return ever since (yes, i'm sure of that, at some point the devs asked pve players what they would see introduced on pve server, and everyone agreed that agressive AI was a necessary feature).

• Like 5

8 hours ago, hoarmurath said:

That's hilarious, since the agressive AI was removed because of pvp players, and pve players asked for it to return ever since (yes, i'm sure of that, at some point the devs asked pve players what they would see introduced on pve server, and everyone agreed that agressive AI was a necessary feature).

Not that I'm a fantastic of Justme, but last time I checked it was the PVE only guys that hated the thought of aggressive AI, at least the ones on the steam forums.

I don't mind aggressive AI, other than its boring to fight.

59 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

Not that I'm a fantastic of Justme, but last time I checked it was the PVE only guys that hated the thought of aggressive AI, at least the ones on the steam forums.

I don't mind aggressive AI, other than its boring to fight.

You're wrong, it was removed after the pvpers complained that the AI attacking them was for them a waste of time since they weren't interested into fighting AI; In fact they complained after introduction of port battles since their fleets would be delayed by AI attacking them too often for their taste.

14 hours ago, Justme said:

Most AAA games have risk of loss, plot/story, something to compell the player to continue.

There is 0 risk in PVE server gameplay, fighting brain dead AI and trade runs that anyone that walks by confuses for a screen saver does not compelling gameplay make.

I enjoy a Age-of-Empires game versus expert bots every now and then, not because I get game progress by doing so, but because I'm enjoying the game experience. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hoarmurath said:

You're wrong, it was removed after the pvpers complained that the AI attacking them was for them a waste of time since they weren't interested into fighting AI; In fact they complained after introduction of port battles since their fleets would be delayed by AI attacking them too often for their taste.

All I'm saying is I've seen the PVE only guys complain about it as well, it's not just the PVP's doing it.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:20 AM, Justme said:

Nothing like a false sense of accomplishment from 0 risk gameplay.Dont break your arm from patting yourself on the back to hard.

PVE is a 0 risk 0 reward time sink server that requires no real effort to do well in. There is no purpose to it other than to detract from the game as a whole by being a waste of resources by being populated by less than 10 percent of the player base.

PVE server serves the purpose of the social "coop / single player" experience just to put it bluntly. Absolutely nothing wrong with it so let's not compare "experience" and "accomplishments" and both do give their respective "customers" the experience they seek in Naval Action.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Captain Lust said:

You mean PvP 1 EU? It's there to grind missions in the greenzone until the servers get taken down.

Sarcasm aside you do know I mean PvE server. 

PvP servers are what players make of them :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Red Duke said:

PVE server serves the purpose of the social "coop / single player" experience just to put it bluntly. Absolutely nothing wrong with it so let's not compare "experience" and "accomplishments" and both do give their respective "customers" the experience they seek in Naval Action.

Well put!

17 minutes ago, Captain Lust said:

You mean PvP 1 EU? It's there to grind missions in the greenzone until the servers get taken down.

The talk here is about the PvE server and its potential. There are plenty other PvP bashing threads out there, so let us focus on making the PvE server a great place to enjoy the game and the community that comes with it.

Edited by AngryPanCake
  • Like 3

I have a real problem with anyone who actually equates what they do in a video game with "accomplishments".

Maybe it's time for you to get a real life and actually accomplish something other than playing a video game.

The PvE server provides a nice place to enjoy the game without the likes of children being pains in the asses because they have no actual life and are looking for validation of their existance through a video game. In the PvE server when someone acts like an asshat everyone just puts them on ignore and they have no effect. Then after finally realizing that no one cares they just disappear.

It's actually quite nice.

If you are getting a sense of accomplishment or some inflated ego from playing video games maybe it is time to get out of the basement and try to meet a girl or a guy whatever is your preference.

If you don't like the PvE server just stay the F out of it. It isn't bothering you.

• Like 1

So a week ago I started this thread for some input and there's been plenty good ones (in spite of some foul responses from people who for some reason take pleasure in cutting down others' enjoyment of the game).  I have played on both pvp global and pve1 over this week and they do offer quite unique experiences.  I have enjoyed both servers equally.  You can play this same game on either server and have a different playing experience, both good.  The answer to my own question after this week of play has been that developing this pve character into the type of captain you want him to be is easier - whether custom ship builder, gold tycoon, Caribbean traveler/sightseer, honing battle skills, whatever.  It's easier than the pvp server because those options are there but are more limited by the RVR/nation aspect.  I like that both options are available, and should remain so.

• Like 3