Game-Labs Forum

New blood into the fold - small RvR suggestion

Given the nature of RvR / Conquest bring the new guys into the fold is a challenge.

They can be as good as they must, they can be the most awesome social beasts but... they will have to smash their skulls doing the grind, right ?

So..

Have Conquest re-designed at three level entry way and ensure everyone gets a share of the cake without any concerns and necessity to step away because "need to win" considerations of the bigger game.

Have shallow port regions PBs be accessible to players up to Captain rank. Ship limitations apply.

The deep water 4th rate ports to be designed for Flag Captains ( and under ).

And finally the Trafalgar wet dreams, the regions that need the Ship of the Line 1st rates get on for the Rear Admirals.

Following RL careers though have players decide if they want to be promoted in rank or not once they reach the critical rank of Captain and Flag Captain.

( in truth many frigate captains decided they didn't want any more promotion )

• Like 2

3..2..1...aand it's ruined by alts.

This is an interesting idea, but alts will ruin it. 

Also in 4th rate PBs Flag Captains would just be cannonfodder against max rank screeners in 1st rates.

Besides, many nations struggle already to have 1 PB fleet. They could ignore the Shallows in the Bahamas and the Gulf, but would need 2 fleets to contend in 1st and 4th PBs.

Give us instead raids to be the soft intro to RvR where loss has much lesser consequences.

I don't care about alts. They simply disappear in the long run. They are part of the 10% hardcore / power gamers. Completely of no consequence for newcomers.

This is considering the other 90% :) that need proper content for them as well, right from the start.

Also to ensure full Nation participation :) and not only specific fleets.

Thank you for your input.

• Like 1

A very sad option.

A lower level Captian can and would get into a "Shallow water" PB cause he can Crew the ship that is eligible.

What is required, for a healthy RvR is to fix the game play by.

1/ OW Map to be scaled back so it only takes a player 2.5 hrs to sail from one side to the other.

2/ Sovereign Nation only have "Lineships" PB, on Region Capitals.

3/ Pirates can plunder all other Nation Ports as they will be 4th Rates or lower battles. It reverts back after 48-72 Hrs.

4/ Make Ports close to the Capital an PvE ZONE to help new players.

5/ Make it Pirates plus only x Sovereign Nations; US, GB, Spain and France.

NB// This is due to help have adequate numbers of Ports around the Capital to supply basic resources and an extra trading resource.

6/ Bring back the conquest flag, but make it that in the case of Lineships PB it needs to be carried by a 1st Rate.

I would like this but only with more shallow ports that actually have shallow water regions attached to it. A good third of the ships in game are 6-7 rates and if there were more shallow regions like the Bahamas ( a big shallow region but still has pathways for deep draught ships to pass through it ) those ships would see more use and it would be a good place for new players to get into the game or RvR... i think the rookie region was a good idea and the closest to a tutorial the game ever had... a shame you ditched it instead of expanding on it to protect new players from the few salty in their mothers basement dwelling sealclubbers...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Goldman said:

I love shallow port battles, they are the biggest fun. I love 4th rates port battles as well...

Same. I would never actually go above Flag Captain is I had the chance :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

But I can't stand SOL battles can I demote myself but keep my 100 crew?

I'd say no but then you'd be sad :(

Did the frigate captains that decided to overlook promotion got more than their share due ? No.

24 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

but SOLs are BOOOOORING

Well, true enough we did test everything and been exposed to everything to we can pick easily what fits. It took large amount of hundreds of hours if not thousands :)

Retention rate to new blood to the OW is the aim of my suggestion. The particularities of conquest organization, logistics and ultimately strategy and tactics for the big port battles cannot be enjoyed in something like a parallel Legends world.

The problem with the suggestion in the OP is that it requires a steady stream on new players or enough players willing not to increase rank. Look at the servers prior to wipe with almost everyone at maximum rank. A few replies have suggested that some people would be happy halting their progression but would it be enough to have sufficient players in each category.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 6:46 AM, Aussie Pastor said:

What is required, for a healthy RvR is to fix the game play by.

1/ OW Map to be scaled back so it only takes a player 2.5 hrs to sail from one side to the other.

I am against this one.   Having played some flat out MASSIVE MMOs, some of the best PVP I have had has been ones where we ended up in a massive running battle across several miles of land that lasted for hours.   

I can remember in WWIIOL fighting over 1 town for a solid 2 weeks, the town was leveled, and we began to call it "Stalingrad" because the meat grinder was real.   

Or in Mortal Online when we had a fight start in the plains, and it grew until we had over 100 people on each side battling near their keep.   It ultimately ended 6 hours later with a siege outside their gates.  

Condensing the population, while sounds good, will only drive off those that really dont want contact with others just yet.

• Like 2

@The Red Duke

Possibly an idea there but overall I disagree. I don't think it would play out the way you want it to.

If a player promotes themselves, can they ever demote themselves? Then all i would ever do is adjust my rank for when I need to do something.

I believe port battles should change to OW fighting. A nice big circle around or mext to the capital port of the region and players on both side go there. All pvp fights effect the outcome.

9 hours ago, rediii said:

Right now you already have rvr in early stages. 

Limiting the portbattles to ranks would actually suck. Sorry to say that. Right now nations are barely organized to grind up a region and fight a portbattle. You think 50 new players will do that? 

Sorry but no. Also 4th rate portbattlefleets would just get wrecked by the big ships.

What is needed right now is a small pve zone with low reward missions and the possibility to take missions outside of that pve zone with better rewards. Its a difference for players if they get ganked because they chose the risky option with good rewards or if they get ganked because there is no option. Let players decide if they want to take the risk and go outside of the noobzone (the whole region of the capital)

Also if you up the rewards for grinding hostility more guys would do it. Right now its a pain to do.

You have to make the way to portbattles either more fun or atleast more rewarding to get people to do it. 

All you really need for that is anyone under 5th rate rank doing solo missions.. their mission closes at once(X never appears in OW to anyone but them..... Wont do away with ganking but will make it a LOT harder to club baby seals

On 8/1/2017 at 3:46 AM, Aussie Pastor said:

In what ship? a 1st Rate> That would  mean either faster OW speed(which means even worse Revenge fleets) or only using 1/3 of this map which would remove so much cool stuff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hodo said:

I am against this one.   Having played some flat out MASSIVE MMOs, some of the best PVP I have had has been ones where we ended up in a massive running battle across several miles of land that lasted for hours.   

I can remember in WWIIOL fighting over 1 town for a solid 2 weeks, the town was leveled, and we began to call it "Stalingrad" because the meat grinder was real.   

Or in Mortal Online when we had a fight start in the plains, and it grew until we had over 100 people on each side battling near their keep.   It ultimately ended 6 hours later with a siege outside their gates.  

Condensing the population, while sounds good, will only drive off those that really dont want contact with others just yet.

There is no valid reason to scale the map.  You don't have to conquer the entire game world, you don't have to sail all over the game world.  If you do, it is your choice and you deal with the consequences of having to sail the distance you don't want to sail.  If I am not a company owner and I want to work in city x but not live there, I have to commute.  It is my choice to commute.  I can't force my company to come to my town, I can't blame my commute on my company, I can't insist that the world all of a sudden becomes smaller or a fast lane is made for me.  It is my choice to live in town y and commute to work in town x.  I can get mad at the world for being so large but its my own choice.  Do not make this game into a tiny sucky map that has no character just because some people can't get it out of their head that they don't have to sail all over to have fun in Naval Action.

Edited by Prater
  • Like 1