Game-Labs Forum

Make Fleet Control 1 a free perk

Fleet Control 1 is a perk i guess almost everyone has. If you take a trading ship with you, like to do PVE with the help of fleet ship or tow a boarded ship to your home port.

But i find it pretty annoying that this takes a Perk slot that could be used for a lot of other stuff to increase your opportunities in battle / trading / economy. Right now i feel like i can only use 4 perks while 1 is blocked.

With the fact that everyone needs this perk (PVP, PVE, Traders) i would suggest to make Fleet Control 1 free for all without a requirement of a perk slot. Bigger Fleet Controls should need a slot then.

• Like 3

You dont NEED this perk, you WANT this perk there is a difference.

A limited version of Area Control is NEEDED, ships should not automagically vanish if they dont get shot in 90seconds if they are with in 250m.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hodo said:

You dont NEED this perk, you WANT this perk there is a difference.

A limited version of Area Control is NEEDED, ships should not automagically vanish if they dont get shot in 90seconds if they are with in 250m.   

That and Doctor would be good.  Where you get like 20% of your crew back after a battle.  Nothing big but should both be something auto in game.  I can't stand when folks popped out with the old coward perk and your about to board them but haven't shot cause your moving into position.

• Like 1

Fleet 1 seems mandatory for eveyone to me. PvPers need it if they ever want to capture an enemy ship without losing their own. PvErs will all want it for adding a ship to fleet to help them do missions. Traders will want it for more cargo room. I can't imagine anyone NOT having Fleet 1 regardless of what their play style is. Fleet 2 is clearly more optional and Fleet 3 is downright specialized/niche.

Control is very optional. PvErs and traders obviously have no use for it. Most PvPers skip it too, especially group players. I think Control is really a specialty perk for a particular playstyle, so it makes sense to charge for it.

IMO, if a perk is universally used by everyone then either it's too powerful and needs to be nerfed or, as in this case, it's such a basic part of the game that it might as well just be included because it makes no sense to not select it or to ever select something else instead.

• Like 3

I use it (Fleet 1) and need it, and I like it that you need to pay perk points & slot for it.

If Fleet 1 was free, think of the min-maxing you could do for specific builds. It helps keep that in line a little bit by having a cost, and thereby forces hard(er) choices. Good things in my view.

• Like 1

i dont bother using fleet perk i enjoy sinking for the marks needed for other items the perks seem fine as they are you are limited on what direction you want to go & should not be able to take everything you want

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

Take what you can. Sink the rest.

Not hard.

Control costs 3 perk points. Fleet 1 costs 1. Think about it.

Control should be a game mechanic not a perk though. Ships should not vanish from 200m away simply because you missed a shot.

5 hours ago, Hodo said:

Same thing goes for ships that are below 50% sails. The fact that a ship missing 3 masts but still has a bowsprit can somehow sail away is just dumb. 

49 minutes ago, Daguse said:

Same thing goes for ships that are below 50% sails. The fact that a ship missing 3 masts but still has a bowsprit can somehow sail away is just dumb. 

Not necessarily.. Most engagements ended in the cover of the night.. Now I'm not saying that every demasted ship should be able to get away but there are examples of ships with just a single mast left standing got to safety - thx to fog or nightfall..

6 hours ago, Abram Svensson said:

Fleet Control 1 is a perk i guess almost everyone has. If you take a trading ship with you, like to do PVE with the help of fleet ship or tow a boarded ship to your home port.

But i find it pretty annoying that this takes a Perk slot that could be used for a lot of other stuff to increase your opportunities in battle / trading / economy. Right now i feel like i can only use 4 perks while 1 is blocked.

With the fact that everyone needs this perk (PVP, PVE, Traders) i would suggest to make Fleet Control 1 free for all without a requirement of a perk slot. Bigger Fleet Controls should need a slot then.

No.

Just now, Bearwall said:

Not necessarily.. Most engagements ended in the cover of the night.. Now I'm not saying that every demasted ship should be able to get away but there are examples of ships with just a single mast left standing got to safety - thx to fog or nightfall..

Ok, I'll give you that. However, if that's the case, ships taking on water should be able to escape. Personal I think for gameplay reasons it shouldn't let them escape.