Game-Labs Forum

Should we allow Free Port outpost teleports again?

Edit:

Belay!

After discussion I agree that this is not really a problem. It is a great commitment to base yourself out of a free port but the risk can be greatly mitigated by just bringing something like a fir/fir lynx with you so you can always get out of there if you need to.

Original message:

As I was sailing my trader around last night, happily trading and making a lot of money deep in French territory, I thought, "this would be a great time for someone to gank me" and "why isn't anyone trying to gank me" and "these neutral ports around here should have people based there who want to gank me".

Then I realized the problem.

If you base yourself out of a free port deep in enemy territory then you've really trapped yourself. You show your face, gank a couple people, run back to port and now you're camped. They're out there waiting for you and you have no way out. You are done playing Naval Action for the night unless you like alts.

Maybe we should allow captain teleporting between outposts, regardless of if they are Free Ports or not?

Another option might be:

* You can teleport from one nation outpost to any other nation outpost
* You can also teleport from one neutral outpost to any other neutral outpost

In this case, our intrepid pirate only needs 1 other neutral port anywhere in the game so he can teleport out and play somewhere else for a while. Switching from neutral port raiding to nation defense involves a little sailing time, though.

I guess the counter argument is:
We don't want raiding to be too easy. If you go to raid British shipping out of a neutral port, this is a serious commitment and only dedicated raiders will do it.

...but I don't like the idea that you could simply trap raiders in a neutral port. To my eye, it overly punishes that playstyle. I personally would like to go setup a raid base out of a neutral port deep in enemy territory but I don't want to have to live there or get camped in.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, maturin said:

We should be able to schedule teleports 24 hours in advance, then log on in the 1-hour window and go.

I don't like that really, because you're still done for the day.... but maybe buy them with marks?

Like teleporting between nation outposts is always free but you can also teleport to/from neutral ports for a cost of, I dunno, 10 PvE marks or 5 PvP marks or something like that? I dunno what a good price is but it should be enough that people can do it but it will hurt them to do it casually.

Edited by Slamz

I dont like the idea of insta TP into enemy waters. Plan them ahead, like maturin said. A day, or maybe 5 hours or something.

When TPs to freeports will be buyable for pvp / whatever marks, the rich people will just buy as many as they need and don't really feel a limit

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

Make people sail too and from free ports.  I am against turning on teleports for Free Towns.

My fear is this just means nobody will do it.

Which seems to be the case right now. I'm sailing through French waters, not a player in sight, day and night, because nobody wants to sail for 2 hours to our free port and then 2 hours back.

Nations like Britain will be able to have deep-behind-the-lines trading meccas that simply nobody raids because it's way too much trouble.

As an avid PvPer who would love to harass some shipping, I cannot fathom sailing 2 hours deep into British territory, setting up an outpost and then manually sailing 2 hours back out when I'm done, plus the threat of being camped in there. The threat of being raided is false if nobody wants to do it.

Slightly alternate idea:

Let Pirates, as in the team, teleport freely between all outposts.

Anyone who really wants to do deep raiding on a regular basis becomes a Pirate.

National teams remain restricted as-is. If I decide I really want to raid like that, I will switch teams.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

No. For all, pirates included.

If a pirate wants to really do it, he simply sails to one of the free port haven and do operate from there.

Will they?

If not, are you okay with trading being forever a high reward, no risk money creator?

Raiding traders is high risk and includes a very real threat of being literally shut out of the game. You will have to just log out, play something else and sneak out at 2am in a basic cutter.

I think few if any people will do this, therefore trading is actually a no risk money fountain. The threat from "raiders" is purely imagined.

Run the blockade like a real man captain from these times. Sail a ship that outperforms your pursuers (i.e. one that can actually sail upwind), wait for a favorable wind direction, mock your would-be pursuers in the battle instance chat as you sail away from them and they are trapped against a lee shore. Profit!

I was based out of one of the freeports deep in US territory and did this all the time, it was magnificent. Requires an appropriate fore-and-aft rigged ship, but if you're trader raiding you probably have one of those already.

Teleports must go. All of them. THEY are the thing that makes trading a high reward / zero risk endeavor, because they make it impossible for me and others to hunt them. I have many, many hours invested in learning how to hunt, solo, deep in enemy territory with my 7th rate. I fear nothing, but as long as teleports exist, it's impossible to hunt traders, and therefore traders have no fear.

Teleports are the problem.

Edited by Sansón Carrasco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Slamz said:

As I was sailing my trader around last night, happily trading and making a lot of money deep in French territory, I thought, "this would be a great time for someone to gank me" and "why isn't anyone trying to gank me" and "these neutral ports around here should have people based there who want to gank me".

If you base yourself out of a free port deep in enemy territory then you've really trapped yourself. You show your face, gank a couple people, run back to port and now you're camped. They're out there waiting for you and you have no way out. You are done playing Naval Action for the night unless you like alts.

Maybe we should allow captain teleporting between outposts, regardless of if they are Free Ports or not?

Another option might be:

In this case, our intrepid pirate only needs 1 other neutral port anywhere in the game so he can teleport out and play somewhere else for a while. Switching from neutral port raiding to nation defense involves a little sailing time, though.

We don't want raiding to be too easy. If you go to raid British shipping out of a neutral port, this is a serious commitment and only dedicated raiders will do it.

...but I don't like the idea that you could simply trap raiders in a neutral port. To my eye, it overly punishes that playstyle. I personally would like to go setup a raid base out of a neutral port deep in enemy territory but I don't want to have to live there or get camped in.

People cried tears for months how bullies like me picked on them from freeports. Solution = let anyone teleport anywhere any time exept for the true pirate and privateer players... golf clap.

Again I say put a cooldown on tps and allow tp wherever you want freeport or not.

Irony= teleports are put in to game to stimulate pvp exept at freeports because to many people where using them for pvp. Hahaha.

Edited by Mrdoomed

1 hour ago, Sansón Carrasco said:

Teleports are the problem.

I would say Teleports of ships and goods was the problem.

I see no problem with teleporting your captain around. Saves a lot of trouble and makes an oversized, underpopulated map a little more populated-feeling.

But you're probably right and the real answer to the main problem is to just bring a fir/fir Lynx with you and use that as your travel ship.

It's still a commitment to go into a Free Port but I agree now it would be hard to blockade us if we're prepared with the right ships.

2 hours ago, Slamz said:

Another option might be:

Simple answer: no

People should sail their ships to the free towns.

Deep ganking and trading should require effors. I am staying at the distant outpost harassing enemy - I still think it's better.

As I pirate I don't really see the point of teleports to free ports! I mean conquest is now slow with local focus. If a pirate clan wants to set up in a freeport they sail there and work out of it. Giving back teleport to freeport will just advertise ganking and counter ganking! 

If you want to sail you now have to pick where and how not jump jump and jump again!!

• Like 2

Hmm..

I was thinking of setting up in a Freeport, but having to spend hours sailing there both ways made me drop it. I also believe more people feel it like this, and to be honest, it deffently doesn't promote any PvP with the no teleport to Freeport. I will suggest 2 teleports within a 24 hour period, 1 to the Freeport and one back again or vice versa. You can choose to do both teleport very quickly if you choose to, but only 2 teleports in 24 hours.

i think it's clear. at least those who are very active in the forum don't want the teleport to freeports. i would even be against any teleport if you would have a reasonable feature to manage your outposts and give others limited access to you warehouse.

Well they need to do something because once a player is being camped in a freeport there is nothing they can do but log off. Even letting the campers kill you does nothing but send you back into the camped freeport.

So unless the game mechanic is finding ways to make people log off then something should be done because this will only get worse as the dominant 2 or 3 nations take over the map leaving people no other option than freeports.

Imagine being a small nation whos only real access to resorces needed is freeports but every time you sail into one your day is over because you cant leave. 

Having teleports everywhere at will exept freeports is going to cause massive issues soon.