Game-Labs Forum

Mega Patch 10.0

admin

16 minutes ago, admin said:

question to everyone

why a new player should make a million in first day? 
why a new player should sail a heavy frigate on a second day?
why a new player should suddenly get everything without effort?

A million a day could be a lot of money or not, it depends on the cost of the goods.

The problem is not that a player makes a million dollars or 10 gold each day: the problem is that the normal income of an average player ATM barely supports the costs of his average game play, not mentioning crafting and progressing through better ships.

And this - of course -  just forgetting for a second that a good GAME (as it tells the name) should be FUN and ENTERTAINING and not a boring repetition of the same things for hours and hours (like in real life works) just to be able to pay the bills of a hour of OS PVP.

Now we have 900-1000 testers on PVP EU. Which is good enough. I made some suggestions on how to KEEP them in the game. You tell that the game is perfect as it is.

Let's check back in a few weeks.

Bye

• Like 3

The cost just to set up the pickle with store bought guns is around 50k, the pickle is the next ship up from the cutter..and if that new player loses his pickle he needs to farm another 50k.

I dont mind paying for cannons, as long as the gold income from missions can support me, i should not be forced to do trading just to support myself.

3 minutes ago, admin said:

question to everyone

why a new player should make a million in first day? 
why a new player should sail a heavy frigate on a second day?
why a new player should suddenly get everything without effort?

They should not make a million on the first day, nor sail a big frigate the second day.

I understand, and I kinda like, the fact that it will take ALLOT longer to reach the end game content, first rates, first trate PB's, all the upgrades, bowfigures etc. If this would still have been the old patch we were playing after the wipe, we would see 1st rates all over the place by now and it would be boring again realy fast.

Now I feel that for newer players, who already have a steep learning curve ahead mastering the basic combat mechanics and all round how the game works, it may be too unforgiving. I don't think these players expect to get all stuff within a week, but you need to feel you are kinda progressing in the game in some way aside of rank (cause rank means nothing if you don't have the money to sail the corresponding ship).

While I think at the moment new players, who might be wasting money on the wrong stuff (because they don't know what they are doing) might get very demotivated cause they can easily be reduced to square one again (cutter battles). Cause they did what every player would probably do prefer to buy a fancy new ship instead of putting some money in a steady income (production buidlings/crafting), and once that ship is sunk they're back where they started.

The fact that you get PvP marks for kills, makes it extra tempting for high ranked players to specificaly look for the above player. That low ranked player who just bought a new ship and does not know how to manual sail it. Its basicaly a free ship and a free PvP mark.

People are saying no carebear, hardcore game mode, bla bla bla. Thats all good if you are the predator, but not a guy in a navybrig who doesn't even have money for hull repairs. I mean, don't come preaching "Get Gud" on the forums if all you do is sink newbs in smaller ships. There is nothing "Get Gud" about that, even the best cyclist won't win a race against someone on a motorbike.

On top of that lower ranked players are less likely to get into clans, and if they do they are not likely to get anything until they have proven themselves.

I say make it a bit more forgiving for the lower level players, maybe make 6th & 7th rates 3 dura or so. This way they'll go out and do PvP and actualy "get gud" and not "get gud" by getting sunk by ganking indy's and surprises.

• Like 1

Just now, ironhammer500 said:

The cost just to set up the pickle with store bought guns is around 50k, the pickle is the next ship up from the cutter..and if that new player loses his pickle he needs to farm another 50k.

I dont mind paying for cannons, as long as the gold income from missions can support me, i should not be forced to do trading just to support myself.

The pickle i personaly find to be a bit pointless (as a redeemable), its way more profitable to sail a cutter. Its tougher, but its not that much tougher to risk losing the ship and the cannons/repairs on it. I would always sail Basic cutter till you can get a good 6th rate. But its always good to get out of the cutter, i hate it with a passion :)

3 minutes ago, The Spud said:

The pickle i personaly find to be a bit pointless (as a redeemable), its way more profitable to sail a cutter. Its tougher, but its not that much tougher to risk losing the ship and the cannons/repairs on it. I would always sail Basic cutter till you can get a good 6th rate. But its always good to get out of the cutter, i hate it with a passion :)

Well my point was the progression for a new player is insane in price and when they get their new ship and it sinks, how do the devs think the new players will feel?

Also soon as u get above a 5th rate ur stuck doing fleet missions or OW, what am i to do now in order to get money? Trade? I want to do combat so why do i have to spend hours hunting on the OW, when i was happy doing missions... 

Cerberus is the first 5th rate which doesnt take long to get into so soon as new players rank up they are forced to fleet up...kinda sucks tbh.

Please just give back solo missions, all ready kinda stuck without a reliable gold income.

Edited by ironhammer500
  • Like 1

Just now, ironhammer500 said:

Well my point was the progression for a new player is insane in price and when they get their new ship and it sinks, how do the devs think the new players will feel?

Also soon as u get above a 5th rate ur stuck doing fleet missions or OW, what am i to do now in order to get money? Trade? I want to do combat so why do i have to spend hours hunting on the OW, when i was happy doing missions... 

Also true, I get your point.

4 minutes ago, Hodo said:

I agree they should have given 1-7th rate, Privateer or Pickle, 1- 6th rate Brig or Snow, 1- 5th rate Surprise, 1trade ship, Trader Brig.

I would say they should have given a navy brig instead of the 7th rate, no 7th rate is worth sailing it if the Basic Cutter is free of all costs.

Just had an interesting bug.  I was doing a combat mission with a buddy.  I was being boarded. Team mate rammed the enemy rattle snake and managed to pull off an amazing capsize.  The rattle snake went over and was UNDERWATER.  8 seconds later the mini boarding game timer ended (with the rattle still upside down and underwater) and I lost morale and the rattle captured my pickle which my buddy then had to sink.

3 minutes ago, smeg said:

Just had an interesting bug.  I was doing a combat mission with a buddy.  I was being boarded. Team mate rammed the enemy rattle snake and managed to pull off an amazing capsize.  The rattle snake went over and was UNDERWATER.  8 seconds later the mini boarding game timer ended (with the rattle still upside down and underwater) and I lost morale and the rattle captured my pickle which my buddy then had to sink.

I'm sorry, but I vote that's a feature. A awesome one I might add :P

Edited by Tiedemann
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hodo said:

The navy brig is an upgraded brig, I wouldnt give that away, it should be something you should strive towards.  The Privateer is a good ship and arguably better than the Cutter in every way.  

Its mostly the fact that the Basic Cutter is free that makes it better then the other 7th rates for new players, experienced players is a different matter.

7 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

I'm sorry, but I vote that's a feature. A awesome one I might add :P

Please explain?  it's my uindestanding that this game is all about the imersion, accuracy to history and realism as the devs can get.  I find it VERY hard to believe that a crew of a sunk, upside down ship could all swim over to mine, scale the side, beat off my defenders and win the boarding.  If it should be a feature then please ask the devs to put in a 'abandon ship and board enamy ship' button.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Spud said:

It's cause it's one of the lines you go up for the tree's. So after the basic cutter you can go up the Pickle Line or the Privateer.  The pickle line is the one that most will want if they plan to get into SOL's.

32 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Should a noob in a cutter draw a RANK 1 mission and get a Rattlesnake to face?

Should a noob in a cutter be left ignorant on how to sail anything bigger than a cutter?

Should a noob in a Cutter be left trying to figure out the trade mission mechanic?

Went up to the shallows with some cannons to set up my pickle on my alt.  He went out in the basic cutter cause he only has one slot open.  First mission I get is a Rattlesnake.  Second I get is a Brig.  Than I went to do some higher level with a clan mate in a brig.  We got a Mercury but that was a Marauder level mission.  Yah I don't htink they are even balanced at all.  Why am I fighting ships with twice my crew and three levels over me in the midship level starter level missions?  No new player is going to know how to sink these. 

24 minutes ago, The Spud said:

I would say they should have given a navy brig instead of the 7th rate, no 7th rate is worth sailing it if the Basic Cutter is free of all costs.

Navy Brig is not in any of the tree's it's on the side of one.  Basically you have to unlock the Brig to 5th level before you can unlock the 3rd slot on the Navy brig, but itsn't needed for any ship above it's level.

The reason we got two 5th rates so folks can get out of the lights and into frigates which is where the main action is for the majority of the players that have been around for ever.  We can't jumping back into SOL, but we sure as hell want to not be in  basic cutters.

3 hours ago, SeamanStaines said:

Yes agreed. However my point was raised in response to the statement "only play in the ship that you can afford to lose". The point being that with high costs its prohibitive for many to afford to play in larger ships.

We're 4 days in from a complete wipe, mate.  Don't you think this is how it SHOULD be?

Hell, I'm in a decent sized clan and I'm still waiting my turn to get my longs made from our volunteer cannnon maker.  

I would imagine in about another week or so you will start to see prices come down dramatically.  All clans are getting their players up and running first, before they start to send extra supply to the market. 

On a side note, 3 of us took the redeemable Surprises down to Jamaica and found some great PvP.  I had mediums and one knowledge slot unlocked. To those saying you need a fully opened ship for PvP, I call BS. 

AGAIN, for the millionth time, yes this game is harder. But claiming that every newbie is going to rage quit is getting old.  There's plenty of new players who are doing just fine and actually learning how to fight and do Econ.  You know, just like we were all somehow miraculously able to do.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hodo said:

This is true, but it is still a miserable ship.  I find the Pickle and the Privateer to be better ships.  Not only do they look better but they are just better.

pickle is indeed amazing

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Hodo said:

This is true, but it is still a miserable ship.  I find the Pickle and the Privateer to be better ships.  Not only do they look better but they are just better.

I agree, i hate the cutter with a passion. I think the privateer is such a sexy ship. Cutter is like a bathtub with cannons on.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Spud said:

Its mostly the fact that the Basic Cutter is free that makes it better then the other 7th rates for new players, experienced players is a different matter.

It's also the problem why every one and there mother comes out in one right now.  It's like a swarm of them when you show up.....lol

3 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

We're 4 days in from a complete wipe, mate.  Don't you think this is how it SHOULD be?

Hell, I'm in a decent sized clan and I'm still waiting my turn to get my longs made from our volunteer cannnon maker.  

I would imagine in about another week or so you will start to see prices come down dramatically.  All clans are getting their players up and running first, before they start to send extra supply to the market. 

On a side note, 3 of us took the redeemable Surprises down to Jamaica and found some great PvP.  I had mediums and one knowledge slot unlocked. To those saying you need a fully opened ship for PvP, I call BS. 

AGAIN, for the millionth time, yes this game is harder. But claiming that every newbie is going to rage quit is getting old.  There's plenty of new players who are doing just fine and actually learning how to fight and do Econ.  You know, just like we were all somehow miraculously able to do.  

I'm one of those cannon makers in ours and I put up my level one shipyard today.  Will prob have the level 2 later this week.   We all ready have one player doing LVG's and Indaiman's if need be.   So yah we can get thigns done fast, but the thing is should we be treated like a newbie or should we be able to get up into those mid ranges?  No one is saying you need all 5 slots unlocked to PvP.  I done plenty this week without any locks other than a slot or two.  The issue is a lot of folks hate you have to grind through all the ships below pretty much to get any more than two slots unlocked and you have to pretty much master every one of them.

2 minutes ago, admin said:

pickle is indeed amazing

I'm more a privateer fan, but doing the Pickle cause I want to get into the snow for shallow water trader hunting cause currently it's the only shallow water with forward guns and well we can't craft the Niagara either.  My other shallow water fav hunting ships other than the rattlesnake.  Don't know why we can't craft these if they are in the shop (Niagara is) and both are on open world.  What is up with that?

Pickle is like crab, it takes punishment, only moves well in 2 directions and still can pinch you!

I see alot of whining from brittish missing coal and PvP at our gates, problem mostly lies on the setting before we had the wipe. KPR is the middle spot for all bigger nations to come to seek pvp. So why would it still not be so? Pirates and Spanish will always be there for action, and i heard they even cherish the old alliance.

Take your boats Gentlemen and Sail south, theres more peacefull waters and prey to hunt on and way less of chance to get ganked.

But i think for new players this is not the best starting area, and would love to see different starting loaction for them,

Edited by James Thomson

I  prognosticated the current development long ago. The servers will be empty in a few weeks, and only some hardcore players, will be left, fighting in the  forum for there flight of fancy. If you keep  in mind that we had 2 or 3 servermerges in the past, 1000 active players in maintime is quite ... NOTHING!

Please devs, see, that this forum is not close to a cross selection of all players. At least the most people are not even registrated in this forum. I realy enjoyed your game, but at the actual state, this is just a grindfest. A game has to be callenging to be fun, but please lower the grind. I think 1st, 2nd and 3rd rates should be grind. Implement a better curve that common players can achieve something without quitting there job or leaving there family. At the moment you have not a curve, you have a wall with a barrier on top, crashing in your face.

Hope to see you again in normal waters...

Edited by karotte
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, admin said:

please focus on patch feedback.. what works, what does not, and why

On PvE Server (again :P) We had troubles to make fleet missions. We were 6 (2 bellona, 2 constitution, 2 indefatiguable (1800 BR)) so we tried a 3rd rate mission cause of the 2 bellona, But we had too many ships in mission. I didn't make a screen of the board, but there were about 10 ships for about 3600 BR.

I understand that you want to make this game harder than before, but for now we can't do fleet missions on PvE server.

This is just a feedback, I do not expect any change. We can do simple combat to get PvE mark, no worries. ;)

Thx

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, smeg said:

Please explain?  it's my uindestanding that this game is all about the imersion, accuracy to history and realism as the devs can get.  I find it VERY hard to believe that a crew of a sunk, upside down ship could all swim over to mine, scale the side, beat off my defenders and win the boarding.  If it should be a feature then please ask the devs to put in a 'abandon ship and board enamy ship' button.

Didn't you lose the boarding? Therefore the Rattlesnake's crew got your ship but lost their own. Your mate should have got reward for the Rattlsnake kill. You got nothing.

It sounds a bit more sense than when I lost being boarded on one of the last Testbed builds, but the other ship was so close to sinking it sunk during the boarding. I lost my ship, but got credited with the kill.

Now I think on it ... @admin if two players PvP, one brings the other to the point of sinking but then loses boarding, do both players get kill rewards?

9 minutes ago, AkmaCraft said:

On PvE Server (again :P) We had troubles to make fleet missions. We were 6 (2 bellona, 2 constitution, 2 indefatiguable (1800 BR)) so we tried a 3rd rate mission cause of the 2 bellona, But we had too many ships in mission. I didn't make a screen of the board, but there were about 10 ships for about 3600 BR.

I understand that you want to make this game harder than before, but for now we can't do fleet missions on PvE server.

This is just a feedback, I do not expect any change. We can do simple combat to get PvE mark, no worries. ;)

Thx

Bellona's?  Wow all ready and they think we are moving to fast on the PvP servers and connies too?   3

What level fleet missions where ya'll even trying?

7 minutes ago, Remus said:

Didn't you lose the boarding? Therefore the Rattlesnake's crew got your ship but lost their own. Your mate should have got reward for the Rattlsnake kill. You got nothing.

It sounds a bit more sense than when I lost being boarded on one of the last Testbed builds, but the other ship was so close to sinking it sunk during the boarding. I lost my ship, but got credited with the kill.

Now I think on it ... @admin if two players PvP, one brings the other to the point of sinking but then loses boarding, do both players get kill rewards?

The point I was trying to make was the rattle was SUNK/DEAD, but rather than end the mini game, it continued, he won and capd my ship.  and no my buddy didnt get the rattle kill as his crew jumped to my pickle, he got the kill when he sank the pickle.

• PVE Server: NPC ships will be capturable on the PVE server with no restrictions. 

It is easier to get ships on PvE :)

That's why we're going fast.

What level fleet missions where ya'll even trying?

Fleet missions now have rate restrictions (good idea) so we took 3rd rate missions. (Rank 8 : Capitaine de pavillon : Flag Captain)

Edited by AkmaCraft

So let me get into details how much start up is hello kittyed up for new players, and partially for me (trading for example):
1. Trading tool shows resources 'Available' only after the Maintenance, so you can find yourself nice resource but end up ariving at a distant port that is already sold out, you partially fixed that by increasing weight, but it won't fix the availability problem - unless you want everyone to have outposts in ports with nice resources, and camp for a restart after maintenance. Above that trading is risky, and takes a lot of time. Of course you can sail arround and try to find some decent resource just by visiting ports, but it's a gamble.

2. Trading missions are COMPLETE JOKE - you end up giving away materials/resources for less they are worth, and first you need to locate them, haul them...

3. Hunting 'Trader Ships', again for capturing Traders Brig you get 3500 gold, for LGV 17000, above that you get materials.. or not.. several times i found traders empty/near empty with something like: 32 salt or 50 rum. So it takes about half an hour (battle only) + 15-30 minutes searching in OW to capture LGV and end up with roughly 20k of income - after few of those you need to return to port and waste about 30min-1hr on the turnaround.

4. Making missions (solo): limited only to 6th tiers, unless you got decent ship fully armed with surplus of repairs just in case - for 4-5 tier missions.
5. Making mission (fleet): at this point you need to organize, which is not that easy for newbie players.

Maybe im wrong and does not see the whole picture, which does not include crafting for example (shit tons of gold and mats for Workshop), but i still count it as for a newbie, and newbie wont have access to Surprise ship from redemable.