Game-Labs Forum

PVE Server and PVE zones - Preliminary announcement.

well I have played on PVP and PVE servers for this game and much prefer the PVE server. Tired of getting ganged up on by a fleet of little ships with their fleet ships.

Yes only 100 to 150 players on the PVE server but then again not much more than that on the US PVP, so why not get rid of that one as well.

Next thing your going to see is you will have to pay to play the game next.

Well great game concept but its not worth paying for and not worth the BS you have to run into on PVP from someone saying you cant attack this ship or that cause its an alt.

Good luck at destroying your player base, I will not be back on the game.

34 minutes ago, Tigron said:

well I have played on PVP and PVE servers for this game and much prefer the PVE server. Tired of getting ganged up on by a fleet of little ships with their fleet ships.

Yes only 100 to 150 players on the PVE server but then again not much more than that on the US PVP, so why not get rid of that one as well.

Next thing your going to see is you will have to pay to play the game next.

Well great game concept but its not worth paying for and not worth the BS you have to run into on PVP from someone saying you cant attack this ship or that cause its an alt.

Good luck at destroying your player base, I will not be back on the game.

If you have haven't noticed PvP1 and PvP2 is getting merged into the PvP Global server so yes we are getting merged into one server along with you unless we want to play in the EU only server.   SO your not the only one.  You don't see us having a hissy fit about it do you?  We know the merge is needed and the resources for the servers can be put to better things. I'm going to take a bet we see the EU server loose numbers in a few months like the last mirror did and it will be merged back into the other server.  So if it saves them money they can spend on things like 3D models of more ships and better servers and hours to get content done than I'm all for it.   We are here to test a game in development aren't we after all?  Well that is what I'm here for.  I mean that is the whole purpose of an EA game release to get folks in to help devolve a game.  

Current loged into the servers right now.

PvE   37 players

PvP2 90 players

PvP1 74 players

So tell me again which server is the weakness one?   So why wouldn't they merge serves with numbers like that?   I know you get more numbers during EU play time, but is it truly enough to keep one extra sever when they have came up with a solution for you to keep playing.  They don't even have to give you crap.  They only promised the PvE server after release.   As it's content they aren't working on right now cause the game is based on a PvP model.  You don't want PvP than stay in the safe zones.  Plan and simple.  Hell I'm going to bet we find more folks on both servers will enjoy this option as it allows the PvEers to stay in safe areas and craft and trade and it allows the PvPers to be more closer to each other and than you have folks that like both fighting, crafting and trading that can play in both zones.  I plan to have some trade deals with the PvE guys as I see it as a good source to get things crafted on the side while I'm fighting.

Who is going to global PvP and who is going to PvP EU? What is your choice and why?

I guess I'll be moving from PvP1EU to the global server because the restricted pb hours of PvPEU are unfair to a US player like myself who is online even after the normal US prime time because I work nights... 

After the wipe. If we switch from PvP EU 1 to global... do we have to basically start from zero? Or will the redeemables be in a bank tied to our name/account? I think I already know the answer to that question and me thinks I'll be starting over... back to the Yacht... 

Edited by Diceman

52 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

I was wondering what would be the benefit of implementing the Smuggler Flag in the PvE zone within the PvP server?

They where going to take it out in the current testbed so you have to attack a regions and own it to use it to use it.  Though sounds like they are going to bring it back like it use to be.  If you have the flag your trader can get into an enemy port but any one can attack you and it treats you like a pirate and it's a FFA battle just like the new Pirate vs Pirate mechanics in Testbed.

15 minutes ago, Diceman said:

Who is going to global PvP and who is going to PvP EU? What is your choice and why?

After the wipe. If we switch from PvP EU 1 to global... do we have to basically start from zero? Or will the redeemables be in a bank tied to our name/account?

Not enough info yet, but I would assume the smart thing would be to make the PvP global server.  PvP EU is going to be a mirror of PvP1.  Than allow every one from PvP1 and PvP2 to merge into PvP Global that want to play on it with there redeemable and pick new nations.   All alliances and regions need to be reset specially with the PvE zone changes, but we just don't have any info on this yet.  

Admin did hint the PvP Global Server might be set in the US.  Which would give it a more global location for all players SEA/AU/US/EU etc....

So until there is a post that tells us exactly what they plan to do we are all just guessing. 

12 hours ago, Genma Saotome said:

IMO the entire debate here can be resolved with what ought to be a very simple change: Tag each ship for PvP or PvE and display only like-tagged ships to whatever "tag" the player is sailing.  That way PvE trading remains "world-wide" and there is no "keep-out" zone for PvP.

It would let the Dev's close down the current PvE server, and it's likely a far more simple change than what they are proposing.  Everybody wins, nobody is unhappy.

No, that won't work. Part of the reason players choose a PvP server - unpleasant as it may seem to pure PvE players - is so they can pounce on traders carrying valuable cargo. This is entirely legitimate gameplay. Adding PvE only ships or players onto a PvP server rather defeats the purpose.

The only way i think PvE and PvP can be combined on one server is by area, as the devs propose. Optionally there could be a mechanism where players could flag themselves for PvP and then attack other PvP-flagged players in the PvE zone, but I don't see the point; why go to the PvE zone if you are looking for PvP?

Even a PvE zone - and certainly such a large one as this - has its problems for a PvP population. My own shipbuilding activities happen to be largely within the zone, so in future my hauling will be entirely risk-free. This might sound good to some, but I personally would rather take the risk, and just occasionally the rewards as well.

26 minutes ago, Remus said:

No, that won't work. Part of the reason players choose a PvP server - unpleasant as it may seem to pure PvE players - is so they can pounce on traders carrying valuable cargo. This is entirely legitimate gameplay. Adding PvE only ships or players onto a PvP server rather defeats the purpose.

That is also the reason why there is so much animosity between the two camps. Many PvP'rs have no shame attacking a newbie in his first cutter while they have over 1000 combat rating. At the moment it is almost impossible to go from one port to the other without being ganked at least twice, unless you take the after-battle option to go to a friendly port and having to start the trip all over again.

I am a newbie. Sometime I am drawn into battle without being tagged, just because I was close to an other fleet. I understand that the devs are working on this. in the mean time I frustrate you all by doing my trades under the radar. I want to do big battles too, but that is very hard when the big guys are hunting unarmed ships all the time.

My idea is to seclude unarmed ships from PvP. That way they can't just switch it off and on. As strange as it may look, the traders are buying your stuff and put big warships on the market. They fight you with other ships too.

Edited by Captain Bonny

If you have the flag your trader can get into an enemy port but any one can attack you

I see, then my next question is:

what's the purpose of having a PvE zone or "safe" zone for PvE if anyone can attack you?

I understand the PvE community is small and according to hardcore PvP players, it shouldn't even exist, it's a money sink and should not make demand or make decisions for the rest of the gaming community, the PvE server was not supposed to exist until the final release. But it did exist, it did attract a certain type of player and it will continue to attract players, though not in similar numbers compared to the PvP community.

Current logged into the servers right now. PvE 37 players PvP2 90 players PvP1 74 players

That is still 18% of the gaming community (37 out of a total of 201 players).

Would it be too much asking to keep those safe zones, actually safe? would the PvP community lose so much in not having the ability to attack PvE players in those safe zones? Many PvE'ers were upset because the GoM is "empty" (I haven't been here long enough to know what it means), isn't it enough to relegate the 37 players to that empty space and on top of that make them easy preys?

In my previous post, I was looking at the bright side of the servers merger. Such as the interconnected trade. The interaction with more players. The ability for new players to start in an area where they can learn and grow before they venture into the more competitive rest of the OW  (despite the limitation of only 3 nations). The ability for the 18% to play a more casual and less competitive style. So, let us keep the PvE zone a true PvE one and if any PvE'er ventures out of it, then he/she is fair game.

I mean seriously, let's not make it a battle of will, or why this group is demanding what. Can't we share a server and be able to play the way we want?

A newbie's 2 cents,

APC.

Because they can't if you don't use the smuggler flag... What is th problem?

If players can attack players in the PvE zone, then it defeats the purpose of making it a PvE or safe zone, with or without the smuggler flag. That's the problem!

No it's only so large in this timezone. Should be about that size at 19 servertime too but there are more players online on pvp servers.

So in your opinion we should just do away with that group.

I am trying to to bring the 2 groups together by trying to make it appealing to all, but it clearly seems like unless the hunt season is open without restriction and everyone is fair game it is not going to work.

Again, would it take so much away if you can't go after a small number of players (that were not there in the first place)?

I say, keep the PvE zone PvP free (I don't mean keep out the PvP players, just no PvP combat), with or without the smuggler flag. Of that small number of players that elect to start in that zone and do most of their sailing there, a portion of them will certainly sail out of that zone and will add some easy preys to whoever is on the lookout.

Why do you even need the smugglerflag in this large area?

well, don't you need it to get into a port belonging to a nation that's at war with yours or is allied with an enemy nation?

I apologize if I my post was confusing or if I was confused myself, so before continuing I first need to clarify something. The OP states this:

The only way to fight in the PVE zones will be to attack smugglers - which will from the patch create outlaw battle (FFA) - the mechanic that you can test on the testbed.

Which I thought meant if you are playing in the PvE zone as a PvE player, you will still be attacked if you use the smuggler flag. If it's the case, then I think this defeats the purpose of having the safe zone that's being touted.

I guess what I am trying to convey is to keep the new PvE zone a true safe zone. Let the PvE'ers enjoy their style in that zone and if they feel they can challenge other players, then just sail out of the GoM out into the rest of the OW and try their luck or skill or whatever they think they want to do.

Edit:

By the way I just found this by the Admin couple posts below the OP:

PVE zone cant be exploited. you cant attack anyone. 

Now I'm really confused!!!

on the one hand we have: The only way to fight in the PVE zones will be to attack smugglers, then:  PVE zone cant be exploited. you cant attack anyone.

So, which one is it?

Edited by AngryPanCake
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, AngryPanCake said:

well, don't you need it to get into a port belonging to a nation that's at war with yours or is allied with an enemy nation?

I apologize if I my post was confusing or if I was confused myself, so before continuing I first need to clarify something. The OP states this:

Which I thought meant if you are playing in the PvE zone as a PvE player, you will still be attacked if you use the smuggler flag. If it's the case, then I think this defeats the purpose of having the safe zone that's being touted.

I guess what I am trying to convey is to keep the new PvE zone a true safe zone. Let the PvE'ers enjoy their style in that zone and if they feel they can challenge other players, then just sail out of the GoM out into the rest of the OW and try their luck or skill or whatever they think they want to do.

If smugglers can be attacked in safe zones, PvE players actually have only 2 or 3 towns you can go to, unless you are Spanish. That is terrible :(

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Captain Bonny said:

If smugglers can be attacked in safe zones, PvE players actually have only 2 or 3 towns you can go to, unless you are Spanish. That is terrible :(

Go back to the first page there is a map that shows the area that will be PvE.   That is not 2 or 3 towns.  That is 1/3 of the map.   Which i think is good cause it pushes more of the fight over to the 2/3 that was mostly where all the action is any way.  Remember you can only be attached if you have a smuggler flag on in that zone.  No one knows if this is like the old flag used to get into ports or you can't get into ports without alliances. I'm going to take it just means you can be attacked.  I plan to have mine on if I go into the PvE zone for any reason like dropping off refits for a good price.   There will be no free towns to deliver stuff some one will have to make the runs in and out of the PvE Zones with the regional goods.

8 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Go back to the first page there is a map that shows the area that will be PvE.   That is not 2 or 3 towns.  That is 1/3 of the map.   Which i think is good cause it pushes more of the fight over to the 2/3 that was mostly where all the action is any way.  Remember you can only be attached if you have a smuggler flag on in that zone.  No one knows if this is like the old flag used to get into ports or you can't get into ports without alliances. I'm going to take it just means you can be attacked.  I plan to have mine on if I go into the PvE zone for any reason like dropping off refits for a good price.   There will be no free towns to deliver stuff some one will have to make the runs in and out of the PvE Zones with the regional goods.

Can you count how many US towns are in that region? Are they excluded from the PvE zone?

5 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Only Spain, French and Brit will have a PvE Zone so if you want that you need to roll one of those three nations.

It is getting worst and worst. I want the PvE server back, so the PvP players have only like minded players to attack :angry:

I want to be a pirate, and have the same options as PvP players when I'm in the safe zone and want to read a book (Or watch television) on long journeys. We are not second rate players!

I'll wait this out, but I'm not happy if this is true.

Edited by Captain Bonny

On 3/16/2017 at 7:07 PM, admin said:

like they do now or did before from capitals? It will be symbiotic relationship . pvp players will provide pve players with conquest marks/land permits and pvp marks and pve players will provide the backbone of the economy.

Unless I missed something, I still see that only the 3 PvE nations will benefit from this. Here are the only options I can think of:

• Everyone who plays with alts will have an alt in one of the 3 "golden" nations (ES, FR, GB), or...
  • The "expelled" nations will try to ally with one of these 3 nations and make it last indefinitely, never allowing for alliance changes, or...
  • The "expelled" nations will be exterminated and cease to exist as they will have limited resources to build ships less often as the "golden" nations forcing them to leave their nation to change to a "golden" nation

May I please suggest shrinking the PvE zone to span only from New Orleans, Louisiana to the Cuyo, Yucatan tip? Reason being to help prevent the above from happening? With half of the map becoming this free resource and free crafting zone for only those 3 "golden" nations, it will make it much easier for them to steal the few resource and regional bonus ports outside the PvE zone. We PvPers (especially the "expelled" nations) need a larger area with more resource-rich and regional bonus ports to fight over to be able to survive.

15 minutes ago, Captain Bonny said:

It is getting worst and worst. I want the PvE server back, so the PvP players have only like minded players to attack :angry:

I want to be a pirate, and have the same options as PvP players when I'm in the safe zone and want to read a book (Or watch television) on long journeys. We are not second rate players!

I'll wait this out, but I'm not happy if this is true.

Pirates always been sold as a pure PvP nation.  So you want to be a carebear pirate?  Well butter cup you can't get every thing you want.   Suck it up and play the game THE DEVS WANT.   Sorry your not going to get your way throwing a little fit about it.  I swear I never seen so many immature cry babies until now.  I'm glad I never played on PvE server if ya'll are like that.

Bye Felecia...Bye

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Pirates always been sold as a pure PvP nation.  So you want to be a carebear pirate?  Well butter cup you can't get every thing you want.   Suck it up and play the game THE DEVS WANT.   Sorry your not going to get your way throwing a little fit about it.  I swear I never seen so many immature cry babies until now.  I'm glad I never played on PvE server if ya'll are like that.

Bye Felecia...Bye

Insulting me doesn't make your argument valid. Taking away the PvE server is bad. I play a pirate on the PvE server because pirates sometimes trade too. What happens to me now, am I now forced to be a PvP player now? If you are gonna answer with an other insult, I rather have that you not answer at all. This question was not  directed at you.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Unless I missed something, I still see that only the 3 PvE nations will benefit from this. Here are the only options I can think of:

• Everyone who plays with alts will have an alt in one of the 3 "golden" nations (ES, FR, GB), or...
  • The "expelled" nations will try to ally with one of these 3 nations and make it last indefinitely, never allowing for alliance changes, or...
  • The "expelled" nations will be exterminated and cease to exist as they will have limited resources to build ships less often as the "golden" nations forcing them to leave their nation to change to a "golden" nation

May I please suggest shrinking the PvE zone to span only from New Orleans, Louisiana to the Cuyo, Yucatan tip? Reason being to help prevent the above from happening? With half of the map becoming this free resource and free crafting zone for only those 3 "golden" nations, it will make it much easier for them to steal the few resource and regional bonus ports outside the PvE zone. We PvPers (especially the "expelled" nations) need a larger area with more resource-rich and regional bonus ports to fight over to be able to survive.

I do kinda agree it's big, 1/3 of the map. I would of thought just Spain area would work, but you need to give them a few options.  I think he nations picked where also some of the more easy mode (as game start says) nations for them too. Remember all the freetowns will be removed in those regions.  They won't have any ship refits either.  So they have to get that stuff from out side the zone.  And I'm sure you can guess where folks will be hunting....I know this shark will be watching the edge of those zones.

Though I see it as the best option at this time.  The Devs could of just shut down the server and gave them nothing, but I think this is a good way to test it. It might work out great and stay in the game.  It might be a total train wreck and removed and the PvE guys get there own server back....UPON RELEASE.  I mean they should be happy the devs even came up with a solution.  LEts all just try to give it a chance and see how it turns out.   IF your not going to try than have fun with some other game, those that will try it I plan to while hunting those zones I will also run things in and make a killing of refits if I can.   I like me shinny golds too....and it might help get some of the ship building down if you supply those players with the goods.  I mean be honest it's not like the GoM wasn't all ready filled with most of the carebear PvE clans on our server any way?   Hell intill we raided it recently they prob never had a fight in the gulf other than US taking those two French regions.....so it's not like they are really being used by many.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Bonny said:

Insulting me doesn't make your argument valid. Taking away the PvE server is bad. I play a pirate on the PvE server because pirates sometimes trade too. What happens to me now, am I now forced to be a PvP player now? If you are gonna answer with an other insult, I rather have that you not answer at all. This question was not  directed at you.

As per Devs every thing will be turned into redeemables and than you can pick which server you want to play on:  PvP Global or PvP EU.   You will log in and make a new char, if you want to be a PvE char you make a French, Spanish, Brit and pick the PvE starting area.   Than once the char is created you redeem all your goods (minus ships and paints cause of the wipe).

Every one else is prob going to be doing the same when they merge the PvP1 and PvP2 servers together so it's not like they are picking on the PvE guys only.  Your server was dead and not cost effective to keep running so the Devs made a call to shut it down.  Servers cost money to run and right now during ALPHA TESTING it's not cost effective to keep them up and running if there is little to no player base.

Edited by Sir Texas Sir

6 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

As per Devs every thing will be turned into redeemables and than you can pick which server you want to play on:  PvP Global or PvP EU.   You will log in and make a new char, if you want to be a PvE char you make a French, Spanish, Brit and pick the PvE starting area.   Than once the char is created you redeem all your goods (minus ships and paints cause of the wipe).

If there is no asset wipe all assets and ships will be moved to redeemables. We are currently trying franticly to save the assets and have no answer yet. 
We will provide the decision tomorrow. If we don't wipe assets we won't be able to test economy changes and mission changes before release. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Jesters-Ink said:

Lets look at the real reason.

Back in the day, when you could cap any ship and keep her, we used to take a lot of chances and have fun.
We used to lose a few ships dicking around trying the impossible, hell we even went 4 cutters against a Santi. Then this was taken away. No keep, no point.

So we picked different fights. Clan verses the OW fleets, man we had some fun and lost some ships.
Back in those days, we had people joining us almost daily and we needed the resources not only to replenish, but to provide for new players.
Back in those days, clans would hunt together, but then the group hunting was taken away.

Fleets were still there and were the cause of major set of complaints. The problem with capping NPC line ships is this - it creates so much money supply that it ruins all economy. 
POTBS does not allow capture from NPCs, EVE too. We are really struggling with trying to balance this mechanic with the reality.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, admin said:

If there is no asset wipe all assets and ships will be moved to redeemables. We are currently trying franticly to save the assets and have no answer yet. 
We will provide the decision tomorrow. If we don't wipe assets we won't be able to test economy changes and mission changes before release. 

Fair enough, but is there any economy changes that worth testing at the moment or are you planning such changes in the near future?