Game-Labs Forum

PVE Server and PVE zones - Preliminary announcement.

I think people should have to sign a declaration that they understand that this is an ALPHA game and is subject to changes when they buy it.

Some ideas are not great but this is a game in development!!!

Live with it or leave, don't punish yourselves, come back when we have finished testing it.

• Like 5

The sea is quite big for all playstyles and pvp combat isn't as spazztic as a bunnyhopquake, although many players are ego-shooter types ( but those love arenas or perfect battles, not the age of sail open world adventures ).

Like in a historical interpretation scenario, which isn't, obviously commerce raiders of any type will be concentrated on the well known trade routes.

Like in a historical interpretation scenario, which isn't, long cruise frigates will be patrolling the waters well known to have enemy ships.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rediii said:

the days when my parents payed for my shit and i had more vacatians were great. :D 

but for many it's important how hard it is because it's more fun for many ;) 

Quake at sea ... if you can see your situation into the future of 5-10 minutes in quake like most should be able in NA you are a hello kittying genious. :D 

The way people play and milk the game mechanics, it's quake. PvE made it a sim.

This is only my opinion. Enjoy the game, hope enough of you stick around to make it great one day.

I'll check in when it goes live. Good luck.

• Like 1

Let's see, like that a pve flag kills the pvp .... is that those who are on the server pvp do not you just the pvp then? What is being forced to players pve is that you are in an area accept the conditions of the server pvp .... I did not make my account on the server pvp, I did on the pve, I want to be able to navigate through Wherever you want with the same mechanics as on the pve server

On 3/16/2017 at 6:01 PM, admin said:

Hello Captains. 

This is a preliminary announcement - official statement will be provided later both on steam and here.

• PVE server will be closed down. All assets will be transferred to the redeemables on both PVP Global and PVP EU (new server names). Transferring players will be able to choose themselves and stay on the server of their liking. We understand that it is painful but with forthcoming wipe you are not losing anything.

Captains affected by this might ask: How can you PVE ignoring player vs player on the pvp server?

The answer is simple and elegant.

• PVE Zones will be added to the main servers.
  • We deliberated very long about this as initially we wanted to have full loot pvp everywhere with no protection. But looking back it was not optimal. Some might say it was awesome, but in reality most hardcore games we know have pve zones, safe zones, high security space or some other form of buffer area. Such zone allows pve players to see the more alive world around them and try pvp from time to time maybe converting to pvp players. 
    • Players who will want to engage in PVE activities without any interaction with the outside world will have to choose one of 3 nations. Spain (Sisal spawn), France (French Louisiana spawn), Britain (around Mosquito coast). These three nations will have 2 spawns - main pvp and secondary pve.
    • This will basically turn Gulf of mexico into large PvE zone.
    • All free-towns inside the PVE zone will be removed to avoid safe transport of resources from inside the zone. 
    • Some resource locations will be re-balanced.
    • The only way to fight in the PVE zones will be to attack smugglers - which will from the patch create outlaw battle (FFA) - the mechanic that you can test on the testbed.

Approximate map of PVE zones

E4xBEsh.jpg

I like what I see here, but you need to think more on PvE zones. Why are you placing zones over the whole area? My suggestion is place zones 5 mins away from land. You are removing risk completely. 

By covering the whole area you are going to remove pvp players from those zones forever. There must be a small risk even for PvE people. I think 5 mins sailing through PvP zone is not bad. It will be an awesome lottery type hunting for lone privateers. I still think you have to be very lucky to catch someone in this vast open area. 

In the end, covering the whole Gulf Coast is a bad idea. Make it 90% safe 10% risk by shrinking the zone to the center leaving tiny pvp line around it. Trust me it will pay off in a long run. What you are doing now is you are going to split world into active and 'dead' if you think ahead of time. You will simply hurt your server down the road if you completely cover the world. With my suggestion you are going to maintain that 'alive' world with both types of players who will visit these zones on occasion by adding a simple risk % to PvE. 

The choice is yours. 

RpG1xZj.jpg

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 2

In the official naval action page they talk about the two types of servers .... I bought the game and now I delete the server pve ... and the solution is to stay in a restricted area and if it does not accept the laws of the server Pvp No I think it's something ethical. And do not tell me that this game is suggesting to the changes and others for being EA.

Copied from the official game page

PVP vs PVE servers

PvP:  Large-scale conquest with player vs player battles raging everywhere from the lower Antilles to French Louisiana.  You are at risk everywhere and can be attacked by other captains. You can capture any ship you want and sail any vessel you like if you have the proper rank requirement.

PvE: Peaceful server where players fight with NPCs. Players interested in a single player experience where other players can only help you should choose this server. 

You want to remove the server pve for not being profitable ... ok, but it gets me to play as I did on the server pve, I do not have to be forced to play pvp if my intention is to navigate the whole map. I do not know how they can do it, and I appreciate the effort (because of the security zone) but I do not want to be in a specific area of the map to be sure. This game I really like, a lot, it would be a shame for me to have to abandon it.

1 minute ago, Ned Loe said:

I like what I see here, but you need to think more on PvE zones. Why are you placing zones over the whole area? My suggestion is place zones 5 mins away from land. You are removing risk completely. 

RpG1xZj.jpg

That is rather the point of a PvE zone in a PvP server. If it wasn't risk-free it wouldn't appeal to PvE players so would serve no purpose.

Note that the idea of a PvE zone is not the same as a rookie zone. In a rookie zone you want limited risk rather than no risk, to break new players in gently, only being able to lose little ships (ideally only being able to carry low value cargo too) in ostensibly even contests, before they try crossing the Caribbean in an undermanned LGV full of Parisian Furniture..

4 minutes ago, Remus said:

That is rather the point of a PvE zone in a PvP server. If it wasn't risk-free it wouldn't appeal to PvE players so would serve no purpose.

Note that the idea of a PvE zone is not the same as a rookie zone. In a rookie zone you want limited risk rather than no risk, to break new players in gently, only being able to lose little ships (ideally only being able to carry low value cargo too) in ostensibly even contests, before they try crossing the Caribbean in an undermanned LGV full of Parisian Furniture..

There are limitations, of course. (sarcasm)

Edited by Maloco

16 minutes ago, Remus said:

To counter low lvl ganking Devs need to add penalty when High ranked player is attacking a freshman.  ex . rank 1-2 only. No reward + negative reputation (if there is going to be one).

Do you understand that they are going to split server into 2 zones and if PvE population drops half of the world will be dead with no meaning to visit. Maybe they should just shrink the world now before it's too late. 

Back in the days Devs even promised world exploration, different types of animals and insects to collect. What happened to that promise? And now they want to make half of the world a dead zone? might as well build a Great Wall of Trump and divide pvp and pve. :D

Edited by Ned Loe

3 minutes ago, Sir Cloudsley-Shovell said:

Wel thats it for me.No PVE,no longer interested in the Game.WHY should i HAVE to keep in a "PVE Zone" that has so few British Ports on?Bad move Developers.I shall be uninstalling NA,shame as it was shaping up to be a great game,now you killed it!

Go ahead and cry about it. We are discussing the idea that doesn't even exist. Make sure you pick the highest bridge when you decide to leave NA. 

1 hour ago, JonSnowLetsGo said:

Can you explain why it is like Quake? I dont see it....

He is trying to straw man quake because it required min-maxing and ''milking the mechanics'' to be competitive without realizing the game devs back then just threw their audience into equal opportunity arena to see who came out on top (attracting creative competitive people, automatically setting the tone and keeping out the snowflakes by not trying to please the weak and everyone who were not able) while in this era of entitlement and getting offended at everything it is probably financial suicide to make a purely skill-based game (without trying to bridge the skill cap with artificial measures and counters or some kind league system to protect fragile egos) so devs who have not decided what chair they sit on (defined target audience) and try to please everyone have to also create safe spaces and certain zones for people who just want to relax and shoot some simple bots to get their dose, that's why we have this thread. Whatever happens, observing this cat herding is still entertaining.

• Like 1

I am on the PVP server too.  I assume the resources stay but the ships on that server will be wiped. What about my resources from the PVE server? Will they transfer to the PVP server?  If one can change from PVE to one of the three nations, can one upon loss of the PVE status change to a PVP status of his choosing i.e. instead of pirate go to one of the nations? 

To be honest... I feel that the game would have been better if we go back to when Open World was first introduced and start over this time knowing what and how to change.

I feel that the original concept of the game got sunk somewhere amongs all those small changes that twitched the game so far it doesnt feels the same anymore.

Can one go to a PVP player with the pirate name i.e. if I had to go to Brit side can I just use my current Pirate name and my assets from the PVE site flow to the PVP Global server? Why don't the name restrictions open up so that one can change names and nations?  Would be great with such a major wipe and server change made.

12 minutes ago, Dauntless7_Original said:

Seems like players will be able to move freely in and out of the PVE/PVP zones. But whichever zone your in those are the engagement rules that apply. So a true PVE only player will just have to exercise caution when sailing near the borders of the PVE area.

I'm all ready seeing the butt hurt of folks that don't do this and get caught on the edge of it by some one.  Than again I'll prob keep the smuggler flag on if I enter the PvE zone which will allow them to attack me if any of them get frisky lol

While I like the concept of high security zones, I don't like the proposal as stated here. 

While I agree that the PVE servers should be closed for obvious resource/consumption reasons, I don't believe there should be changes to the overall game as a result.

Here are my suggestions:

1) High Security Zone(PVE Zones): Players may attack other players, but acquire a kill right on them. They are not allowed to make port, or safely log out for atleast 2 hours. NPC's will kill on site. Teleporting to capital is disabled, as well as unable to teleport to friendly ports after battle if they still have their ship. Once sunk, captured, or otherwise, their kill timer is removed.

2) New Faction (Name?): This faction is excluded from political strife and warfare and may not engage in politics or attack or be attacked by other players.   

3) Safe Mode: Similar to the 'smuggler' option, once toggled (available only in the safe zones) the player is invisible to other players.

Edited by Crayon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaos said:

He is trying to straw man quake because it required min-maxing and ''milking the mechanics'' to be competitive without realizing the game devs back then just threw their audience into equal opportunity arena to see who came out on top (attracting creative competitive people, automatically setting the tone and keeping out the snowflakes by not trying to please the weak and everyone who were not able) while in this era of entitlement and getting offended at everything it is probably financial suicide to make a purely skill-based game (without trying to bridge the skill cap with artificial measures and counters or some kind league system to protect fragile egos) so devs who have not decided what chair they sit on (defined target audience) and try to please everyone have to also create safe spaces and certain zones for people who just want to relax and shoot some simple bots to get their dose, that's why we have this thread. Whatever happens, observing this cat herding is still entertaining.

Good, I hope you are right, because if you are, I and plenty of other people will be back playing when it goes live.

If you you ain't, then that's a big chunk of players lost. I'm all about the testing, but if all of the feedback is going in one direction, I'll wait until the game goes live and then see. I tip my hat to you and wish you luck and make it good o/