Game-Labs Forum

Bad reviewers on Steam with 1,000+ hours: You are an absolute disgrace

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Reviews ?

I see very little proper reviews on steam, especially on the negative side of the fence. There's a few very objective and proto-professional ones but the majority is whining against change.

Some changes are good, others are bad. If we look to regional resources, it was a community request. Opposed by a significant portion of the comminity If you look to removal of flags general consensus and implementation of hostility lots of disagreement about implementation,  it was a community request. Same with RoE No, the changes made were the Dev's idea, they ignored the list of other suggestions and same with raking pushed by small subset of community, crafting we didnt even get to test the change, and polls on removing common/fine/mastercraft shows that people want those to stay! ( especially the push for rare SOLs ) etc.

So how dare we, regular forumites, testers, and good folk that suggest a lot of things, to say that our own ideas are not good ?! Damn GL, stop listening to us !!!  /sarcasm off Because the developers listen to the groupies who come on this forum regularly, pick favorites, and what the actual playerbase wants isn't easily judged because most players don't do anything but lurk...because the groupies shout down most people who disagree with them

I know for sure that 1st implementations are never a final scenario, as any NA player tester worth their salt should know by now. No one argues that, we argue the fact that such drastic changes happen before proper testing can be done, and that replacement is usually of dubious quality

By all the fish of the sea, we didn't have a Map once. And there was a time when no more than 60 people would play in the OW and that was once per week.

And guess what ? Game is awesome today as it was during the first and second iterations of OW. Heh, no way. I'd be having a reason to play this game if that were the case

Look at all the headway we made. Be honest. The majority of negative reviews are simply untrue and review mechanics that no longer exist. They insist on living in the past. How asinine is that sentence? Why would people continue to waste their time reviewing and reviewing if they didnt want this game to succeed and be something that most people enjoy again? Perhaps the review hasn't been updated because the reviewer has no reason to return? My positive review is outdated....I may update it and make it negative...but should we say that most positive reviews are outdated and untrue because they are based on old mechanics? Hmm, then let us calculate the new rating based on reviews left since the new patch.

Edited by Æthlstan

You are reviewing a game, not the social potential of a game which is determined by and solely by the person, not the software.

Granted we, majority, are not professional critics, or we would get payed by the hour and no small amount of hours is enough for a specialized journalist to even get a grasp on how uncompromising NA sandbox is.

Same with many other sandbox games where the players themselves are expected to "develop" their own gameplay, as a community.

We get too drowned in the mud of RvR and egotistical competition in PvP to even notice the untouched potential.

But then  it is a game that includes grognards, mmo kids, moba gangsters, RP geeks, and overall a history vs competition mob.

Aethelstan, I think the Devs reserve the right to implement whatever they want from the community suggestions. Somethings work, others don't.

Stop being self entitled and keep suggesting.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Æthlstan said:

But not the removal of all the other qualities.

And in either case, major crafting changes, especially ones that impact resource production, should always be tested with a wipe. 

people instantly stoped playing because of false rumors about an wipe before and we are working now on seperated test server again showing how many great testers we have. so much about your wipe argument. if we did this reviews would fell even further. qualitys? there were to many and un needed.

3 are more than enough. and we are only talking about the misconseption about the colours. 

grey everything none player made. sounds fine still can have diffrent sub qualitys. yellow for Playermade okey good enough can still have sub qualitys Basic/Fine/MC good enough to make all options useable.  inregats to that not much has changed except for the way you can set amounts of each trim to a ship.

tell me the negativ things about that system beside the compatibility with the database wich we had before when the Rattlesnake was handed out to moderators before the public got their hands on them. now its affecting all existing ships. instead of simply dealing with it and using this moment of disposability of everything in the game besides the fact that the comunity is so spoiled with all the freebees and amost everyone having enough Gold to spam free First Rates. the PH-Value of the in ingame see can be launched to 14 instantly be simply removing the 4x increase of Cargospace on all Traders.

yes we agree with alot of the negativ things but we can only do so much with the work force we currently have besides dealing with all kind of problems. hell we cant even work on multilanguage suport atm because of it. just droping just another rock in our path wont help at all.

• Like 2

You know what would be great?

How about the devs make some sort of in game announcement system where they post their most recent thoughts, and then provide a feedback section and a rating system on each idea presented?

It pops up the moment you log in, and you have the choice to provide feedback directly to the devs and rate the current features, or ignore and go straight to playing.

then they can access more thoughts from a larger portion of the playerbase...giving them a more accurate idea of what the playerbase wants

Edited by Æthlstan
  • Like 2

Just now, Æthlstan said:

How about the devs make some sort of announcement system where they post their most recent thoughts, and then provide a feedback section and a rating system on each idea presented?

It pops up the moment you log in, and you have the choice to provide feedback directly to the devs and rate the current features, or ignore and go straight to playing

i will send this forward by skype it has potential

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Æthlstan said:

How about the devs make some sort of announcement system where they post their most recent thoughts, and then provide a feedback section and a rating system on each idea presented?

It pops up the moment you log in, and you have the choice to provide feedback directly to the devs and rate the current features, or ignore and go straight to playing

It is your own decision, to play-test or simply wait for release :)

Developers give you that option.

main-qimg-9d84acc7a568aeb6f891054df9cb35

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Æthlstan said:

Waiting for the admins/moderators to moderate language, 

Would that make you feel good?

The language is fine as Northern knows the difference between strong words and personal attacks.

Do you really want to be taken care of in that manner?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mirones said:

people instantly stoped playing because of false rumors about an wipe before and we are working now on seperated test server again showing how many creat testers we have. so much about your wipe argument. if we did this reviews would fell even further. qualitys? there were to many and un needed

I have not used any newly crafted exceptional ship. I have used the ones I have, many of them made even before the names of crafters were attached. I do not have very many exceptionals. Most clans and longtime players have massive stocks of exceptionals that they can continue to use for months after any crafting patch. Effectively, most people can ignore the crafting change. How does this get effectively tested then? It doesnt. Exceptionals are still required, and will always be required, because by the time the old ships are sunk, people are now crafting exceptionals again, albeit more slowly. And that doesnt even account for how big an impact the massive stockpiles of every old resource every clan has...that lets them put all their production into the new resources... A wipe was definitely needed for such a big crafting change, and if you don't think that wipes should happen often, then we should have waited until the blueprint replacement system is patched in, and use that wipe for proper testing.

3 are more than enough. and we are only talking about the misconseption about the colours. ????

grey everything none player made no player made them because for the longest time a grey ship would negatively effect base stats. Grey crew space would actually reduce normal crew level. sounds fine still can have diffrent sub qualitys. yellow for Playermade okey good enough can still have sub qualitys Basic/Fine/MC good enough to make all options useable.  inregats to that not much has changed except for the way you can set amounts of each trim to a ship.

tell me the negativ things about that system beside the compatibility with the database wich we had before when the Rattlesnake was handed out to moderators before the public got their hands on them. now its affecting all existing ships. instead of simply dealing with it and using this moment of disposability of everything in the game besides the fact that the comunity is so spoiled with all the freebees and amost everyone having enough Gold to spam free First Rates. the PH-Value of the in ingame see can be launched to 14 instantly be simply removing the 4x increase of Cargospace on all Traders. not even sure what you said here

yes we agree with alot of the negativ things but we can only do so much with the work force we currently have besides dealing with all kind of problems. hell we cant even work on multilanguage suport atm because of it. just droping just another rock in our path wont help at all.

2 hours ago, rediii said:

yes, maybe the game doesnt deserve a recommendation at the current status for experienced players but please dont forget that negative reviews will get people to not buy the game which leads to less population. Less population leads to less pvp etc. and less pvp etc. leads to the death of the game and at the end maybe even to the point where the dev's quit the project.

this game has a realy good base (battles) but the OW needs to be tweaked (hostility raising) but if you guys all write negative recommendations the game you love or once loved will die and development will maybe stop(no idea about that).

Instead of a negative review you could write into the feedback threads and you get the same result without letting the game die. + if you play hundreds of hours you got your money out of it ;)  i payed 60€ for some games which i didnt even play 50 hours and i think you guys got them too.

Yes it may be harming the game but when a friend asks me whether he should buy the game today I would tell him no. I will not make my friends waste their money on the off chance of the game recovering (even though I would very much like to see that). And neither will I do that for random people I don't know. There is a date on tehse reviews. Either people change it when they enjoy the game again or you know that the game was not worth a recommendation at the point of writing - if the game is 5 months old because the person didn't return to the game though the game was changed the review is nonetheless correct for its statement at the time!

Any foul language has been edited out. Regardless of whether it is a personal attack

I was a sailor for a time, language doesnt bother me. What bothers me is when it is allowed to stand in some cases and not in others, usually based on whether the post is favorable or unfavorable

3 minutes ago, jodgi said:

Would that make you feel good?

The language is fine as Northern knows the difference between strong words and personal attacks.

Do you really want to be taken care of in that manner?

29 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

1000+ hours and negative review = pure salt and selfishness.

This is just immature bullshit. Personal attacks won't be of any use. What was once enjoyed may not be enjoyed anymore and the reviews serve as recommendations to others so it is everybodies right to state what they think of the game in its current state (that means the time palyed has absolutely no meaning) - salt maybe it will colour teh review a bit but selfishness definitely no!

Little example: War Thunder is a game I have 3500 hours on. I departed the game with the arrival of ATGMs and though I thoroughly enjoyed it once I would never tell anybody to play it in its current state. The time spent in the game has absolutely no meaning when the current version is unplayable or without joy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mirones said:

you did not get it ships it self are Marked in Grey if they are from None Player source it has nothing to do with the quality the ship actualy has.

I dont really think that is a good idea either....a ships quality should be shown the same way regardless of whether or not it was made by a player

We already have the Made By:  to distinguish player made ships. Maybe you can put NPC ship in place of that

43 minutes ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

This is just immature bullshit. Personal attacks won't be of any use. What was once enjoyed may not be enjoyed anymore and the reviews serve as recommendations to others so it is everybodies right to state what they think of the game in its current state (that means the time palyed has absolutely no meaning) - salt maybe it will colour teh review a bit but selfishness definitely no!

Little example: War Thunder is a game I have 3500 hours on. I departed the game with the arrival of ATGMs and though I thoroughly enjoyed it once I would never tell anybody to play it in its current state. The time spent in the game has absolutely no meaning when the current version is unplayable or without joy.

Immature? Nobody personally attacked with my statement. You quoting my post on the other hand is. Now who is Immature here?

I bet you feel adressed by my post, but that doesn't make it a personal attack. If you do, then you are probably a salty player that left a negative review under the wrong intent. Where can I find yours? I'd love to read it.

Edited by Kloothommel
Damn autocorrect

1 minute ago, sruPL said:

I just warn them about things they might encounter and potential future of the game so they won't be surprised or disappointed when they buy it

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot from today:

rOU0oe.jpg

Some old screenshots from youtube:

cpCaon.jpg

iWCT3F.jpg

...and I got much more messages in-game. The only thing you do at the moment is causing a toxic discussion and not helping the game. (Not saying that I was never creating toxic discussions, but you're being hypocrite as you accuse others of not helping and you're not doing any better)

Of course, honesty Works both ways.

I think NWolves was pointing that out. The honesty in most reviews is appaling.

His point is clear though. The game gives a huge bang for your money. And the reviews aren't fair or well written, most just out of spite. 

Strong language is the least of the problems discribed by him.

Edited by SteelSandwich
Removed offtopic

I have more than 1k hours on this game, and switched from positive to negative review... Why? Because i'm not enjoying the game anymore in its current state. So what, should i put in a positive review nonetheless? Why should i, to make sure i will bring in more people who will read my positive review while the game doesn't deserve it anymore imo?

That would be a sure way to bring even more negative reviews from people who would be bitter about having be deceived by not honest reviews.

Fanboyism never help games, especially games in development. What help game development, is being an honest tester, saying the truth about the game state and how we feel about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kloothommel said:

Immature? Nobody personally attacked with my statement. You quoting my post on the other hand is. Now who is Immature here?

I bet you feel adressed by my post, but that doesn't make it a personal attack. If you do, then you are probably a salty player that left a negative review under the wrong intent. Where can I find yours? I'd love to read it.

Ffs Kloothommel relax. You just universally declared all reviews that are negative and with a certain amount of hours as salty and selfish. That is to each person that falls under the category a personal attack with a completely untrue statement and a narrowminded perspective. And now you have just repeated that action directed at me assuming I would fall under that category as well. Well here is a little lesson for you. I haven't written any review for this game yet due to several reasons.

1. I rarely write reviews in the first place. I reserve that for games I found extreme enjoyment in or that need an absolute no buy warning.
  2. I near to never write reviews for unfinished games at least when I still have the intention to continue playing them and the devs have the intention to continue developing their game.
  3. I don't have the time or energy to write a review as I am currently writing my dissertation which is mroe important to me than a computer games review.
  4. If I were to write a review I would wait for the next patch as that one will determine the future of Naval Action with people either returning or this game needing a clear don't buy recommendation as I can't entice people to buy into a game with no population. Players aren't state funds - you can't demand of me to advertise for new ones to get you a new batch of disposable players. Upon early access launch you get a certain amount of players and either you please those into furthering your advertisement or you fuck it up and have them warn people to stay away. That is the currency of teh devs and I must say so far they haven't spent it wisely!
  5. If I were to write a review now it clearly would be negative as I cannot find any fun in the game with my limited time and the overal development direction this game is taking. This is a personal opinion but so are the reviews.
  6. There is a difference between salt and sadness! Most people that write these reviews don't do it out of spite but because they are sad the game didn't develop along the hopes they ahd for it whether those are justified or not!

FYI I currently have over 1250 hours in this game and yes I got my money's worth out of it but that doesn't mean a person that buys the game now will!

Edited by JollyRoger1516
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Got to agree.  The post referenced is one of the most immature I've seen here.  Made me wonder why the forum moderators did not act on it.  And it is interesting that so many players "liked" it.

One of my theories is that "older" gamers place a great deal of emphasis on "value"...  If you're old enough to have played the original Sid Meir's "Pirates", and paid probably $40 for it, you'd realize that you've gotten a lot of "Value" from this game already.  I CAN understand the argument that some players are making that its not as fun at the moment, but I think as some who appreciates the value of time/cost, its pretty shitty to not recommend something that you've gotten so much from for what you've spent.

I mean, you've paid $.02/hr if you have 2000 hours in this game...  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hoarmurath said:

I have more than 1k hours on this game, and switched from positive to negative review... Why... <snip> What help game development, is being an honest tester, saying the truth about the game state and how we feel about it.

I think the difference here is you think your review is about the "state" of the game, but the review is actually about the "game" overall. I do know that negative reviews hurt the sales, I tried to encourage a handful of friends, but the negative reviews turned them all off. And that hurts the population, which decreases the fun for those who want more action, and... you've got that slippery slope problem where the complaints about the problem make the problem worse.

The OP and many of us (myself included) think that if you get your money's worth for a game (and how much your time & money are worth can obviously vary) then to review the overall game negatively is short sighted, or worse. I personally think if I get 2 hrs of fun for everyone $1 I invest, then its a fine deal. More than that, even better. The game definitely has turned more away from "action" than it was prior to the last patch. And that has definitely hurt attendance. It is a lot more like Eve now, with more work to get your action, but does that mean that overall the review is negative? In my opinion, nope. But I'm just one voice in the crowd. We're all entitled to our opinion.

Even if we think that the person making the opinion is just being short-sighted and selfish, that's just another opinion too.

• Like 3

The OP in his title already called anyone who disagrees with him "as unworthy of grace" and then launches into a rant apparently in an effort to justify such a sad sad view of the world.

Of course, people will disagree, will kibitz, will rant - but as it is today the game lacks joy "for me" so AS IS MY RIGHT as a Steam member - I express in my own clumsy way said lack of joy along with where I feel the main "lack of joy" is coming from = Desertion of responsibility by the mods on this forum and therefore including the Dev's who picked them and keep them.

You are free to disagree with my personal viewpoint about what is right and what is wrong with the game - but calling me names and implying I could never hold down a job will not work.

The OP is simply a bully. And as you would expect has even resorted to leaving "Aw, grow up" messages as replies to reviews he didn't like - I mean come on, if the game can't be fun lets bully those who are not having fun into giving good reviews anyway .......

Edited by SteelSandwich
Removed offtopic

1 hour ago, Vernon Merrill said:

I CAN understand the argument that some players are making that its not as fun at the moment, but I think as some who appreciates the value of time/cost, its pretty shitty to not recommend something that you've gotten so much from for what you've spent.

This ^^

The concept is simple... you have a beef with the direction the game is going, you bring your viewpoint to these forums and present it in a civil manner. If you have ideas on how to fix it - give them. If you have no idea how to fix the problem, admit it and request comment. That does happen a fair bit on these forums... thankfully.

When you get your knickers in a knot mostly because of ONE PATCH and take it public with a thumb's down Steam review, you are most likely steering people away from NA permanently. Truly poisoning the well for everyone, including yourself if you hope the current state isn't the way it will stay. Better to hold off giving any review at all until things calm down.

On the other hand if you don't think the devs can, or will, turn it around... why on earth are you still reading/posting in here?? Give the bad review and GO AWAY. Doing anything else just means you're a troll, or really don't grasp the real world consequences of your actions.

Edited by Angus McGregor