Game-Labs Forum

graphics card requirements

If it did not support DX11, however, you would not just be able to download it. DirectX allows your game to communicate with your GPU in order to draw stuff on your screen. However if the hardware inside your GPU only knows how to receive commands in DX10 or below and your game only knows how to send commands in DX11, the GPU is not able to understand the game. The only way to fix that is to upgrade the hardware, and you cant download hardware.

Not quite correct.  Cards that only support DX10 will actually run the game.  You can see the ships themselves, the land, and the towers (unskinned), you can't see the shot, the aiming arc, how it falls, nothing is transparent, which means smoke and spray makes a solid pink wall you can't see through.  It's not easy to play at all, but it will run.  ;)

Blewtooth:  Do some troubleshooting.  If your card supports DX11 as Feriluce says, and you have Windows 7 or later, you should be go.  Start by trying to upgrade your video card drivers.

Well it is Unity, its not known for fantastic graphics or fantastic performance. For what the game is graphic wise (Ships, the ocean, skybox, a few props (towers/lighthouses) the performance should be better. Does it look good, yes, does it look as good as other games no, does it run as well? Honestly no.

But its pre pre alpha and hopefully a ton of optimization will come so performance will probably only get better so if you are having lag etc. bear with it and wait until performance improves, its like any game in early access.

Not quite correct.  Cards that only support DX10 will actually run the game.  You can see the ships themselves, the land, and the towers (unskinned), you can't see the shot, the aiming arc, how it falls, nothing is transparent, which means smoke and spray makes a solid pink wall you can't see through.  It's not easy to play at all, but it will run.   ;)

Blewtooth:  Do some troubleshooting.  If your card supports DX11 as Feriluce says, and you have Windows 7 or later, you should be go.  Start by trying to upgrade your video card drivers.

Well, it was a simplification. I dont have much experience with DX myself, but I'm guessing that a lot of the API is still the same, so those parts will work. However, where the API has changed or had additions, stuff will break. I might be wrong here though.

I have NVidia gtx460. I think it has dx 11.  I know my computer does, but I guess that is different than graphics card having it?  can anyone tell me if gtx460 is capable of running the game?  I'm thinking that it isn't, because I get nothing but blue background with boxes and text when I run the alpha.  I don't suppose it is possible for me to download the necessary version of dx11 instead of having to buy an entire new graphics card?  I know I need to upgrade, just don't have the funds.  I wish I had read the fine print in system requirements before shelling out my pre-purchase money....

go to start then type dxdiag into the search and this will poop up after double clicking it.

post-2604-0-49027000-1417098114_thumb.jpg

I am by no means very computer savy so forgive me when i ask this question.  Is the game programed in DX11?  Is this why is will not run on DX10?  Would it be that hard to make it playable on less updated systems?  Once again appoligies if I am missing the obvious.

2 things on this

• Water is DX11 as well as some effects.
  • Water is server based. So big waves are synced for all players (huge innovation for sailing multiplayer)

Going to DX10 or lower will reduce visual quality for everyone and will take significant time from other missing features.

• Like 1

All I see when I log in is a blue screen with labeled buttons no images

My system is as follows

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645

processor:          Intel i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

memory:             8192MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

any idea what's wrong

All I see when I log in is a blue screen with labeled buttons no images

My system is as follows

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 645

processor:          Intel i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz

memory:             8192MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

any idea what's wrong

Do you mean when you actually log into Naval Action(your already logged into steam)..this is WAD(working as designed) there are no Pictures of the ships ATM Labels(Cutter,Brig ect.) are place holders for pictures later on.

Click on the YACHT then on PVE at bottom.....After timer counts down(60 seconds) you will be in game. Learn to sail around shoot ect...

Do not spend too much time in YACHT...you do not progress you have to be in LYNX to start your climb to the next ship....hope this helps

• Like 1

As a reference I am using a GTX 780 with a I5 3570k. On ultra I am seeing consistent 70-80 fps and everything is running cool. I have been impressed with how smooth the graphics are as some alphas I have been on are really taxing.

But running triples, if offered will be another story.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, newbie here... have just downloaded the Alpha etc; through Steam and have been sailing around with my son pressing buttons on the keyboard, we have no idea what the controls do, how do you know when to fire etc; obviously we have a load to learn! it looks amazing already, well done to the developers, it is awesome! I'm currently on Book 7 of the 21 series of Patrick 'O' Brian Jack Aubrey books so hopefully we will see everything relating to that historical time in the game, will it be possible to sail into ports, anchor up, walk around towns and pressgang etc;?!

To Carlington above, the laptop we've been using is: a Dell Inspiron with similar set up to yours a Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. Installed Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB. and it seems fine so I don't think you'll have any problems. Looking forwards to getting to know the game and of course to doing battle, capturing Merchantment and Ships of the Line ;)

Is there a guide to the controls, damage taken etc;?

Cheers!