Game-Labs Forum

Likes and dislikes of new patch

Likes = people may log in again.

Dislikes = no more solo pvp because the 2nd circle draws in a dozen ai.

Cant build ships because all ships above a certain quality need fine wood.

Just my opinion and would like to see others opinion or solutions to problems.

• Like 1

Forts in the world on the coastline.

New conquest mechanics.

Dislike

Ships downgrading from Exe to mastercrafted status for whatever reason!

Ship crafting just got a lot harder with "fine" sorts of wood introduced into the mix and i fail to see a reasoning behind this change.

Fine wood in not needed only for Exe ship but for every ship above basic lvl only at Exe it needs the most of the fine wood.

Some ship trims also need "fine" wood extra to craft a ship with wanted trim. Speed adds a fine fir cost to crafted ship.

Added 5 times more weight to almost everything meaning this game just got even more of a time sink as now we will need to

sail 5x more in order to haul our cargo place to place. Again i fail to see the appeal and reasoning behind this decision. Who benefits from this?

Not only do we need more resources to craft what we crafted yesterday but now we need to sail  around and spend 5 times more hours to haul our needed goods.

TL:DR

in short this game just got more time intensive and unfriendly to anybody who has any semblance of life outside the game.

Edited by Rabid_Infidel
  • Like 3

I am seriously pissed off, no warning that it was going live so I have lost my exe vic cos some dumb plonker decides its time to screw us over. Nice move Naval Action, you must be really pleased to have effectively wasted peoples money in buying this game.

Tons and tons of warning, from maps to pinned posts to multiple posts in multiple threads that the patch was coming.

You are testing a game in alpha. If everything were wiped tomorrow, you'd have no ground to be upset. If this is an issue, I strongly advise you take a break until the alpha ends and the game goes into full release.

• Like 13

Personally I think crafting ships was far too easy before. Everybody with A ship back then wasn't building their own. It certainly ridiculous that someone can churn out ship after ship after ship.

Building ships was an extremely difficult procedure requiring a specific knowledge in engineering and carpentry. Those who knew how to build the ships were in high demand. It should take you a long time and a lot of effort to acquire the resources needed.

Also Mastercraft and exceptional ships should be exceedingly difficult and expensive to build. Right now every ship sailing around is exceptional. "Common "should actually mean common -and yes-"exceptional" show be exceptional....as in "the exception" to the common

Edited by MikeCK
  • Like 7

Loving most of the patch. The weight system is kinda retarded. It needs tweaking because we're not happy about having to make so many trips to move anything resembling a large amount.

On the subject of weight, since when does gutting fish to turn it into fish meat actually increase the weight? I liked it the way it was just before the patch. It made more sense. You gut the fish, throw away the waste, and you're left with a lighter product. Currently: convert a 0.50 fish to 2.40 fish meat. This is very broken.

Some people complaining in-game but nobody offering solutions. Best to ignore them.

• Like 1

2 perma upgrade slots = mastercraft ship.

I like new trading system. 

Dislike New tagging. Game started with 5 min, then it gone down to 2 min. now its like 20 sec.  

Tagging is not my cup of tea. Oh well u cant have all you want. 

So far after 2 hours:

dislike: Downrating of carronades, raking kills an incredible amount of crew, the weight system (sailing time/day will be a big deal) , getting silver/gold and other rare commodities in my region. Latter not to be got benedenwinds for the Dutch it seems. I guess the Spanish will have a monopoly on almost anything in that region.

like: All of the above, extremely. For the challenge and increased "realism" ;) (except the weight, don't have so much time to play so this will hurt me). Trading missions, the map, the new look of ports, not having to fight pirates all the time, now we go for flags in the war-effort thing which seems promising. And the graphics (placebo I guess). The fantastic overview of prices on the map for trading (stock market sim here we go). The need for the setup of a planned trading system with free ports/deliveries.

To illustrate how well this might work out: I just set up my first supply train for silver with a friendly US player in PvE (for a good price of course) which is due tomorrow. I was more or less forced it seems, but everybody is glad to help out which is another reason to play this game.

really don't like: fine woods.

really like: all the stories about the new Indy, shall be looking to board one.

Overall: B+, not an A because of the apparent overkill of changes.

Thanks devs, good job. This game just got a lot harder to be good at: )

Edited by Twan

2 perma upgrade slots = mastercraft ship.

Not sure this is correct. I had a Frigate, Belle Poule, Essex and Constitution; ALL "exceptional". ALL had only 2 perms slots except the Connie yet ALL remained "exceptional".

Wondering if it had to do with whether you crafted the ship yourself? All 4 of mine were purchased in PR. Maybe if you built it yourself it got downgraded? I don't know why that would be...just throwing it out there.

All my ships were also Live Oak with Stiffness and Build Strength. (What can I say...I definitely have a "type"

The map looks nicer with the different font & such

Trading missions

The look of forts

Dislike

Fine wood needed for ships. I know realistically not 1 person can make a ship, but this is a game. I hope NA Econ does not go down the line of POTBS Econ.

NPCs no longer produce mats. Watch ship prices inflate! Makes it harder for those that rely on smuggler to buy mats for ships.

Forts in OW combat instances, save them for pbs

Pirate perk nerf, unless a pirate uses all classes of ships, there is no use to it now.

Haven't tried the ROE yet but with the new ROE & forts, traders just need to stick to coasts. Bye bye trader hunting. :(

Edited by Anne Wildcat

Overall, very impressed.

-New wood types, having all of the craftable trims be an option

-Fine woods and generally higher requirements for quality ships. I think maybe green should have been omitted from these to promote it as a 'baseline quality'

-Forts

-Trading missions and new goods

-Map and trading tools

-General port battle concept

Dislikes

-New tagging system, or rather the inability to join afterwards. I do like the new circles though

-'Regional' crafting bonuses (yuk)

-Excessive crew damage

-Port battles at regional capitals only, and causing the whole region to flip (unless I've misunderstood this)

-Module nerfs (some were needed like the pumps, I think the nerfhammer was a little too broad here)

Ambivalent

-Higher good weights (need to see how this will affect things)

Edited by Elouda

Just a few quick points

- the ability

...to craft extra labor hours

...for traders to hide under the guns of a fort/tower at the coastline

- Awesomeness of the new map and coastlines with towns

- Trader Tools and Port & Country search

Dislike

- The new looking and the entrance to Gustavia   :o

- Seems some land got moved and extended. e.g. it seems you can't any longer sail between St. John's and Codrington because of massive (new) land masses even on the map         there is still a huge gap between both islands. 

There will be further points after more testing  :P

Dislikes :

- New ROE meaning death of small scale PvP and anything that isn't 25v25 PvP

- Forts. The idea is good, but it just looks like an AI-generated Age Of Empires II city at the moment, with all those identical towers lining the coastlines that just look silly

- Spreading out of production ports and new distribution, new weights, all effectively keeping people with no/small groups and less playtime from crafting at all.

- New ship building system. I simply liked it better with 2 trims and the RNG on Speed/Stiffness. It added a bit of randomisation and risk to building a ship, and allowed for more varied combinations. I can live with    less-than-exceptional ships and having to add specific materials for higher quality ships, but the points mentionned above combined with having to craft (and so haul that heavy stuff) to exotic places are simply  killing it for me.

- Fishing salt.

Another patch that contributes to building a game I can't properly play until I can afford to spend 12hrs straight on it daily, which I don't and likely never will.

Like:

New ROE at all levels, from lone raider up to squadron action. The two circles are pure gold. The tag area reflects very well the engagement distance. The second circle the battle area. Top work. The tactical layer prior to attack just got real and assessment of everything in OW is essential now. As it should be.

As with the ROE, the alliances system and the pirates on the sidelines without being drawn into a national battle. While this can be changed in the future ( by letters of mart and letters of marquee ) the system as it is now works good.

Trader playstyle just became a reality as much as the sea rover pyrate was already a reality. Both are at the same level of chalenge at the moment and each with its own "hard work" and considerations before putting to sea. Planning is essential. ( obviously there's tweaking to be done ) Trading as a playstyle is finally available and essential to any nation. So Crafters, Fighters and Traders are now ALL absolutely crucial for a well oiled nation.

The coastlines. Was very happy sailing about Georgia and South Carolina and very pleased with the changes.

The forts. They add a sense of "realism". Î can only guess how great some of the well known ports, like Cartagena, Habana and Charleston will look with manual placed fortresses to emulate the real counterparts. Plus they add a lot to battles.

The Map. The transition to Regions is one of the things I really enjoy in the new system. It provides a sense of progressions and eliminates the senseless port hops. It reflects areas of control. On pair, the map reset. Thank you.

_____

Have yet to test a ton other things. Had a go at combat and the overkill of ball was noticeable. Have yet to properly have a go at longs, mediums and carronades.

_____

Dislike:

Not so many things but one really got me anxious - The hostility lists UI is somewhat confusing.

Just a few quick points

- the ability

...to craft extra labor hours

would like to comment on this. 

you can't craft extra labor hours unfortunately. But you can convert your labor hours to notes and sell them if you don't need yours. 

We are thinking about adding extra labor hours to everyone in a nation if they control the region with extra labor. 

• Like 2

would like to comment on this. 

you can't craft extra labor hours unfortunately. But you can convert your labor hours to notes and sell them if you don't need yours. 

We are thinking about adding extra labor hours to everyone in a nation if they control the region with extra labor. 

There is such a region? Where?

I mean - does anyone knows the different regions yet?

I do not like the new combat requirements outside of the beginner areas.

I think that a trader who is jumped should have a the possibility of getting help from nearby friendlies.  This gives WAY too much power to the ganking side.  There should be a time for a friendly to be able to join the battle.  Yes the trader should have to stay alive and sail to help, but the patch has turned ganking squads into instagib for traders.

As it is, a ganker can sail a big ship with a good fleet and wreck any trader out there unless he is in a group or is following a AI fleet.  Even en friendly waters.

Given the new difficulty of acquiring trade goods, this is even more true now.

At a minimum, make the ganker pop out of the battle screen quickly so that area forces can tag him and exact retribution.  As it is, you can gib a trader, sit in battle screen and the defending nation can do nothing other than sit around forever hoping the ganker did lot log.

As it is, you can gib a trader, sit in battle screen and the defending nation can do nothing other than sit around forever hoping the ganker did lot log.

It has been that way since day one, and there is nothing being done about it because, and I quote "players need a little time off sometimes for a bio or a smoke" or something of the sort. That is effectively putting all the risk on the traders or lone vessels and never on the gankers. Swarming without fear of retribution.

Not that it matters now that lone vessels are a thing of the past.

• Like 1