Game-Labs Forum

worth a buy for me personally? help plz

Is it anything like i hope it to be:

Sailing to a port and along the way ecountering enough players? Or are rhe maps so vast thag you can't find anyone?

I've heard that lots of people are just sitting in the ports waiting for pvp matches.

This would mean less people outnon the high see and a gamebreaker for me. Can you tell me.if this is correct? I'd love to try this game but if people.are just pvping instead of sailing and encountering each other this is a no go for me.

There is usually some fleeting or something going on in PVE, the AI isnt too bad in this it offers enough of a challenge for the more laid back players, that being said you can always mix up PVE and PVP on a PVP server, its a great game but do remember its still in Alpha and will be for another 3 or 4 months :)

last night I sailed from KPR to just south of Cocodrillo and did not see a soul once I left the confines of Jamaican waters waters but then I didn't expect to. All the while I was out I was in nation chat watching for reports of pirates or national players hunting unsuspecting newbies or foolish old hands afk sailing thier big pleasure boats.

It is entirely up to you what you do of course sail to far of areas of the map to trade or hunt AI fleets or stay local to hunt pirates.

The game is quite a time sink but if you have a good amount of time to spend then you will enjoy this game.

I can confidently say that PvP is always available, especially around free ports near capitals. Also, pay attention to which ports seem to change hands frequently and you will know that is a PvP hotspot. Don't be discouraged by population numbers on either server. PvP2 always has plenty of action, even though our numbers are slightly lower than PvP1.

I guess there are areas where there are a lot of players. There is also a lot of space on the map where you might not see anybody who isn't in the same nation as you, or anybody at all. After a while of that, the open world can get very boring. 

I don't find it boring.  There is trading, exploring, and shipwrecks, so seems to be always something to do in the OW.  If all you ever wanted to do is exit port fight re-enter port, then maybe that would be the case.  But the game offers much more than that.

You find enough ships and one of the tricks is to play, explore and having joy in discovery, keeping notes of areas, routes, and so on. Even the remote areas, which players think empty... they are not empty at all :)

I'd risk to say it is similar to RL. One might do a crossing seeing two dozen of sails or might do it without sighting a single one.

There is usually some fleeting or something going on in PVE, the AI isnt too bad in this it offers enough of a challenge for the more laid back players, that being said you can always mix up PVE and PVP on a PVP server, its a great game but do remember its still in Alpha and will be for another 3 or 4 months :)

did.... did you really just say People play on PVE?

If the OP is looking for players PVPEu1 is his best bet. We have the most active, and largest server on the game currently. 

Its a game that has enough potential its worth helping to test it. Pvp2 population isnt super high but there is enough that there is constant activities if your in the lanes.

Its more realistic to me where if you're just sailing in the middle of nowhere you wont see anyone but if youre in shipping lanes you will prople.

Nothing really new/different to add, but commenting just as another voice to what's becoming a clear theme in the thread responses here.  Sometimes there's value to multiple people saying the same thing:

The map is enormous, and yes, there are vast areas where one can sail long distances and see nary a soul.

BUT, there are also areas where players tend to persistently congregate and PvP in OW.  This will probably become even more true after the patch, with the regional hostility mechanic.

Think of it as "best of both worlds".  There are times when you may not particularly care to engage in PvP, either because you're trading/resource-gathering, or just want to do a couple of AI missions in peace.  You'll have no problem figuring out where/when to do that.  Likewise...when you do want to mix it up with other players, you'll have no problem at all figuring out where/when to go find all the OW PvP you'd want.

I am looking for a 'realistic' pvp thing.

So i want to sail and explore and happen to run into enemy's. Not just sit somewhere and wait for pvp.

And i understand you might not encounter anyine but if thats 80% of the times i set sail it feels dull :D

Then pvp2 is perfect fit. If younsail in no mans land than its truly alone. Get into shipping lanes and at busy times and you will see the elephant.
  • Like 1

The game is realistic of naval trading and warfare in the era of the Napoleonic Wars.  You can avoid PvP if you wish (most of the time) by avoiding areas where enemy and pirates patrol.  Many players prefer to avoid combat while trading and exploring, especially when they are new and building the experience points necessary to sail ships powerful enough to stand up to powerful Player Pirate and Enemy Nation Players.  Others look for it, by sailing in Enemy or Pirate Home waters.

In the end, the game is realistic in that there are extended periods of watching the sea as you move from Point A to Point B, seeing the docile NPC traders and patrol warships (which you can attack but which will not attack you), punctuated by periods of action when a Dread Pirate Player spots you and comes to take your cargo, your ship and your officer's life.  Or vice versa.

There are many excellent Naval Action videos on Youtube.com ... Jeheil has some of the best, well narrated, and on topics as basic as "How to Make Money" to "Using Manual Sails" and "Port Battles".   They will give you a view from his quarterdeck of sailing, trading and fighting.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQBM7edgbrg0liG9V5sy-1A

~ HK ~ 

Is it anything like i hope it to be:

Sailing to a port and along the way ecountering enough players? Or are rhe maps so vast thag you can't find anyone?

I've heard that lots of people are just sitting in the ports waiting for pvp matches.

This would mean less people outnon the high see and a gamebreaker for me. Can you tell me.if this is correct? I'd love to try this game but if people.are just pvping instead of sailing and encountering each other this is a no go for me.

Best buy I did this year! Depending on your timezone you will find enough Players to interact during primetime.

For your best experience wait to PVP until you can manually sail and aim precisely. Of course you Need some guns. This means you should rank up to 2nd Lutienant to command a decend ship and crew.

Make yourself comfortable with the trading and crafting system, to pile up some cash and/or build your ships.

Make yourself friends, or better get in a clan. That makes the start much easier.

Watch the vids on youtube, or check the beginnersection on the forums. As mentioned before jeheil and OlafvDeng are great to watch and you will get the clue.

Regards

The game world is like the real world.

If you want to find people go to the busy places and you will always find people. If you don't want to find people, go off the beaten track somewhere and you wont find people. There is more than enough players and there is plenty of AI fleets floating around.

There is always somewhere to go and some place to see.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey guys - a lot of comments on here about the game. I did not want to create a new thread, so this one looks similar enough to what I am asking.

I was thinking about purchasing this game. I knw it is early access, so I know bugs exist. I played Pirates of the Burning Sea and loved it.  That game seemed to get boring after about 30 days though. Question: can the average player recommend this game? is it worth the 40 bucks, or do I wait/ 

I am a casual type of player...AI can entertain me. I like games that have sandbox worlds and feel "alive" be it AI, players, or a mix..............heck, I played Elite Dangerous so..........

anyway, do I buy this? Thanks much.

If you enjoy game development and enjoy seeing the different  iterations that a game goes through before release, as well as contributing to bug fixing and game design, then I recommend joining. However be aware that in no way is this a complete game, each release of new material can break or fix issues and the only progression that you can experience while playing, is enjoying the development of the game. Any in game work that you do before OFFICIAL release will be erased and reset in the end.

In conclusion, while you ARE pre-paying for the completed game when it is finally released, you will not be currently playing a completed game, but instead contributing to its development. If you enjoy core game mechanics that do not change and are predictable from log-in to log-in do not purchase yet.

I'm also a casual player. I've logged in maybe three times since the last patch. There's nobody on in my timezone, so not much to do. The last patch basically ruined any chances of crafting, so that's no longer something I can occupy my time with.

Honestly, I'd say you can safely skip Naval Action at this point.

I think anyone who likes age of sail, like I expect you are, will have for sure at least a 100 hours of gameplay before you'll ever feel like it needs a bit of balancing in certain features. Most of the things we are kinda "frustrated" about at the moment are crafting and the current hostility mechanics. The battle mechanics are where this is all about, thats what this game has nailed to perfection, thats something that will make you come back for more.

I think this game is allready a realy solid game and at this moments we're just arguing over the finishing touches. The things that will take this from an exceptionaly good game to a legendary age of sail game. I highly doubt you'll feel ripped of when you buy this game.

The population, like in every EA game, fluctuates from high (1000+ on PvP1) to a low before new patch release (500).

As far as the action goes, some area's are hotspots and some areas are very calm and will hardly have any PvP going on. If you ask around people will tell you where you should and shouldn't go depending on what you are looking for, but nothing is ever realy safe. People actively looking for PvP will not just sit in port but will patrol an area in a group, and usualy after they made several victims people will tell you in national chat and most of the time people will want to hunt them down, so you can join them in doing so.

Basicaly you can have PvP and you can avoid it, it all depends on where you are.