Game-Labs Forum

1st PvP Tournament Feedback Thread [Heavily Moderated]

So my feedback is here: If they want to make a tournament they can, but it shouldn't interupt the "normal" gaming operations (like it does now!).

1. if you dont mind me asking, with exception of some people not being able to join port battles, how does it affect normal gaming operations?

2. That is also impossible to do without some time travel technology.

As far as I know, we have to wait until the tournament is over to get the new patch. So the masses have to wait for a small amount of players until they finished this. I cant approve this kind of developement.

uhh?

What does the tournament have to do with the map reset/PB rework? oO

uhh?

What does the tournament have to do with the map reset/PB rework? oO

The patch is deleted until the tournament is over cause they dont want to change the configurations of any battle to maybe give an unfair advantage.

1. if you dont mind me asking, with exception of some people not being able to join port battles, how does it affect normal gaming operations?

2. That is also impossible to do without some time travel technology.

1) I think the PB's and the whole gameplay is something totaly different. I know a lot of players which wait for the new update until than they are not playing. And thats because there is nothing to achieve anymore and everything is the same as always. The wall is reached. So now they wait for something new to happen sothat they can enjoy the game again. This is deleted cause the tournament. So fine, if you want even more people not to play the game anymore than continue the way you are going right now!

Just take a look at the "normal" number of players playing. You see it there directly in front of your eyes!

2) Surly it is possible. You should now when you want to implement heavy changes (like the upcoming) and you should also know when you want to change some parts of the battlemechanic. Thus, normaly you should be able to at least guess how long a tournament can go and when it needs to be over. This is not about having some "time travel technology" its about: Forseeing what is going to happen, its about thinking well enough over the full consequences even from such slight changes!

Edited by Twig

It is all about Combat Mechanics ( Sea Trials ) changes that are to be included in this patch.

The tournament is in the final leg. Hang tough.

I am overly excited for the new upgrade as much as I was for Land Ahoy upgrade but I rather see it delivered as a whole - including combat changes - that only the other aspects.

The patch is deleted until the tournament is over cause they dont want to change the configurations of any battle to maybe give an unfair advantage.

Is there a post by one of the devs where that link is made?

I find this hard to believe, the tournament takes place in small battles (or even their own lobby now), I don't see how a PB mechanic patch will have anything to do with that, and even if that was the case, changing combat meta due to some patch wouldn't be a problem for the tournament because the rules would have changed for everyone..

.. rule changes were made while this was underway, too, so why would they have to wait for the tournament?

• Like 1

Lessons have been learned from this tournament one of the things causing delays has been getting everyone needed to play a match at the alloted time this was a result of not being to bring in a unnamed reserve player to fill in for guys who were unable to attend I know BRITS had to fight a 2 v1 match because we couldn't swap out for those that were online.

This is going to be addressed in the next tournamentime which should speed things along a bit.

• Like 1

Is there a post by one of the devs where that link is made?

I find this hard to believe, the tournament takes place in small battles (or even their own lobby now), I don't see how a PB mechanic patch will have anything to do with that, and even if that was the case, changing combat meta due to some patch wouldn't be a problem for the tournament because the rules would have changed for everyone..

.. rule changes were made while this was underway, too, so why would they have to wait for the tournament?

I'm not searching for the link right now - It would be over 30 pages to look for (I guess even more cause I cant remember where it was :D )

But still: "Patch will be deployed in October. A lot of big changes are getting in and it won't make it in september."  Sais enough (http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/14640-devlog-forthcoming-content-patches-plan/?p=316601)

Just for the record, the tournament was a player initiative. The Devs decided to "sponsor" (support ?) it, and found it would be a good opportunity to get feedback. However, they are not responsible for its length.

As Llewellyn Jones, Olav, and a few others, pointed out, the main "difficulty" was to able every team to meet at a same hour of the day (having players from timezones from USA, Europe, Asia and Australia), plus, we had a few delays because we simply did not know how much time should be given (it is the first tournament after all). If we happen to make a new tournament in the future, this is one of the main things we will indeed adresse, probably partly by permitting each team to take more reserve players (something like as much reserve as the team itself) and, as you suggested, fix times for each stage at the very beginning of the tournament.

• Like 1

I can search if you really need it!

"ansonsten kannst du selber suchen! - Wenn nicht ruhe im Saal"

If you really want to, we can extend the tournament by a month!

seriously, all that admin has said is that Combat changes(aka not port battle changes) will not be done during the tournament. The tournament taking long time has been noted and next time we will improve on it. How is when the patch comes out part of  this discussion further?

If you really want to, we can extend the tournament by a month!

seriously, all that admin has said is that Combat changes(aka not port battle changes) will not be done during the tournament. The tournament taking long time has been noted and next time we will improve on it. How is when the patch comes out part of  this discussion further?

I wasnt the one who asked for the prove ^^

Is that the full bracket?

I thought there were more teams than that. Or did SORRY just drop out?

This is from the group stage(the teams with a line across their name either forfeited early on or never attempted to do any matches), we are now in stage 2 quarter finals, goal is to get it done by the 10 of october(earlier is also a possibility)

I can search if you really need it!

"ansonsten kannst du selber suchen! - Wenn nicht ruhe im Saal"

Yes, please.

Otherwise you will look like someone who comes in here with an axe to grind and who accuses the players in the tournament of delaying the patch because they want to have it their way at the expense of all other players .. when in reality this is only in your head.

And it is not for me to prove that such a link between tournament schedule and patch delay exists, that is your claim.

The Tournament has been, probably and just my point of view, the most focused combat mechanics testing since Sea Trials.

Was very specific with a specific set of combat rules, which varied from as much DPS as possible within a time window to the more prolonged full timer which saw, actually to anyone dismay, little variation hence, maybe, new changes to the combat trials.

So, with that in mind and with the amount of data gathered and yet to gather let's have one more deep breath and wait slightly longer.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

With OCEAN having played our last match in the tournament i want to say a few things. 

First, thank you to guys organising this, being the first tournament there was ofcourse some complications and some problems. 
But keeping that in mind i think you have done a great job and that it has been great fun! I surely hope more of these tournaments will happen in the future. 

Second, thanks to the Judges and the Streamers. It's been awesome to be able to go back and watch replays of people's matches, especially your own matches! Being able to see what you did right and wrong is great. 

Commentary makes it more entertaining imo! :)

Third, i think everyone that participated fought very well! Some fights were more interesting than others but i think everyone played their part in making this a good experience for everyone. 

Fourth, i hope this Tournament has helped the Dev's see what things needs to be tweaked.

It's been very interesting to see the different setups people brought into the fights and the different tactics used. 

It's been an honour and a pleasure to take part in this.

Cheers.

Tommy Shelby.

• Like 12

With OCEAN having played our last match in the tournament i want to say a few things. 

First, thank you to guys organising this, being the first tournament there was ofcourse some complications and some problems. 

But keeping that in mind i think you have done a great job and that it has been great fun! I surely hope more of these tournaments will happen in the future. 

Second, thanks to the Judges and the Streamers. It's been awesome to be able to go back and watch replays of people's matches, especially your own matches! Being able to see what you did right and wrong is great. 

Commentary makes it more entertaining imo! :)

Third, i think everyone that participated fought very well! Some fights were more interesting than others but i think everyone played their part in making this a good experience for everyone. 

Fourth, i hope this Tournament has helped the Dev's see what things needs to be tweaked.

It's been very interesting to see the different setups people brought into the fights and the different tactics used. 

It's been an honour and a pleasure to take part in this.

Cheers.

Tommy Shelby.

Totally agree, now can I have my masts back please they were exceptional? ;)

• Like 2

The real question is when will be the next one? And can we have bigger ships so Ellis and i can actually have some fun this time;p

Someone might arrange something sooner, but if im doing another one it will be earliest the beginning of next year(and it might be with bigger ships, maybe more people on each team or whatever :P)

• Like 1

The real question is when will be the next one? And can we have bigger ships so Ellis and i can actually have some fun this time;p

Hahahahahaha. With all the flak, hate, and unnecessary stress the organizers were put through? Maybe clear a spot for 2018 ;)

• Like 1