Game-Labs Forum

Fishing in the Green Zone

You set sail from your capital; perhaps you see a handful of ships, perhaps you see a forest of masts, but you see it all the same. The AFK fishing fleet.

I wouldn't say I hate the AFK fishing fleet, but I do find it dispiriting. High-ranked players, ships of the line at anchor, people I've seen in port battles just sitting there, not really doing very much and not getting very much tested for mild profit, no risk, and no player input. As a way of rewarding players for the open world sailing they get done, I actually like fishing and wreck-diving, but the fleet of ships and players that are there when you log in and there when you log out in the same spot collecting fish and hoping for bottles doesn't add much into the game.

Suggestion 1: The protected area as a non-yielding fishing area. Pretty simple - deep water fishing catches big fish, shallow water fishing catches little fish, and protected area fishing catches either nothing or nothing worthwhile. Clumps of seaweed. Old boots. Waterlogged planks. Loose rusty anchors.

Suggestion 2: Stationary fishing in general encounters diminishing returns. After a given period without moving (not just keyboard activity, but actual sailing), fish stop biting and the fishing returns aren't reset until you travel a distance greater than the span of a protected zone.

Who else would like to see the game reduce or remove rewards for AFK fishing in the green zone? Are people in the fishing fleet just doing it because they can, or is safe fishing something they want to see kept in the game?

• Like 8

My suggestion is, that fishing should be bound to speed. Not actual speed but the percent of set sails.

0% sails = 0 fish

50% sails = 50% of the maximum fishing yield but no extras

100% sails = full fishing yield and extras like bottles.

No special fishes (the expensive ones) near ports.

With that way you encourage players to actually sail on the open sea.

Just fix your "A" or "D" key does not work because of the wind. You always draft with the wind.

I don't see the problem with it realy, nobody will say we'll go AFK fishing for 3 hours instead of doing PvP or missions. I AFK fish, while cooking dinner or when i go out to do grocerie shopping or take a shower. Not when I can do other more fun stuff, where I need to sail anyways. So it doesn't make sence ot hate the AFK fishing, these are not active players turning into AFK players, these are AFK players not being AFK in port but out in the ocean instead.

If the problem is they can fish while standing still, you can't realy catch big fishes near a port (Tuna, dorado), most are small fish or the ocasional bull shark etc. and maybe a bottle. I kinda like the sight of all those ships, looks a bit simmilar to what a harbour would have looked like in that time. Just big ships docked a bit out of Port. Nothing wrong with it. Its not like people went fishing instead of fighting.

Nice addition would be the possibility to set out Fishing Pods, to maybe catch like lobsters and crabs and other stuff. And you need to set them out in the wide ocean away from ports (area where you can usualy find tuna etc.) and you can only set them out for a maximum amount of time before the pod is lost. Say 7 ingame days or something. So you need to go back and collect it in time before it runs out. I guessed that if people want whale hunting, they might as wel like this addition.

If people think fishing (or anything not PvP) is killing the game, they need to consider that the more features you add, the more dimensions the game gets and the more people it will appeal too. Its like Trading and Crafting. Its unrelated to the PvP, but there are some people out there considering trading as their main goal in this game.

• Like 1

AFK fishing either in green zone or in the middle of nowhere while in deep waters  ... get nice stuff for no effort provided at all, fish and bottles while not even playing the game ... make it so you need to go more than 2-3Kn speed minimum to get some fish and problem will solve itself .

• Like 1

I can't see the problem here, how sitting idle in front of your capital is worse than sitting idle in a port or simply logged out ?

Do you think fish meat is really a big reward ? wow, earn 5000/7500 gold for a shark once in a while is really too much compared to what you can earn while doing pve mission that don't add much to the game either? And at not much more risk.

At least empty bottles makes them move on trader once in a while in ennemy territory, something new. 

I can't see the problem here, how sitting idle in front of your capital is worse than sitting idle in a port or simply logged out ?

Do you think fish meat is really a big reward ? wow, earn 5000/7500 gold for a shark once in a while is really too much compared to what you can earn while doing pve mission that don't add much to the game either? And at not much more risk.

At least empty bottles makes them move on trader once in a while in ennemy territory, something new. 

The difference is:

- having to be outside a area in which you can be attacked

As simple as that. Protected areas are in game for one simple reason, no trolling possible of conquest fleets.

Would you really enjoy fighting idle afk fishing fleets ? Would you take the risk to sneak in an enemy capital to do so ? Is bringing those afk players back at dock would really help the game ?

I still can't see any problem here. Maybe because at Fort Royal there is not that much afk'er? At least not much more than before fishing?

Imho it should be quite opposite, the slower you sail the better chance for some nice catch. 

This might make sense IRL, but not in the game.  The idea behind fishing is to get people out in the OW and give some life to it.  I see it as a bonus when sailing for my regular travel, not as an end in itself, especially when the teleport to outpost will be disabled. 

Personnally, I'll never use the feature anymore if it ever involve sailing around at low speed in designated fishing spot. IMO, the goal should be to discourage AFK fishing, not promote it.

Edited by Serk
  • Like 2

Suggestion 1: The protected area as a non-yielding fishing area. Pretty simple - deep water fishing catches big fish, shallow water fishing catches little fish, and protected area fishing catches either nothing or nothing worthwhile. Clumps of seaweed. Old boots. Waterlogged planks. Loose rusty anchors.

Suggestion 2: Stationary fishing in general encounters diminishing returns. After a given period without moving (not just keyboard activity, but actual sailing), fish stop biting and the fishing returns aren't reset until you travel a distance greater than the span of a protected zone.

I like Suggestion 1.

Well, not really a big reward, but I am seeing ports that have a glut of 25,000 + on fish meat.  Indicates to me it is not just a passive activity for some.

Edited by Jean Ribault

My suggestion is, that fishing should be bound to speed. Not actual speed but the percent of set sails.

0% sails = 0 fish

50% sails = 50% of the maximum fishing yield but no extras

100% sails = full fishing yield and extras like bottles.

No special fishes (the expensive ones) near ports.

With that way you encourage players to actually sail on the open sea.

Just fix your "A" or "D" key does not work because of the wind. You always draft with the wind.

This won't work.  You can point your ship into land with 100% sails on the edge of the green zone and get fish.  What needs to be fixed is the line around the green zone where you can fish.  Fix that, and no more fishing in the green zone.

Just load up and make your own fleet of ships. Sail them over to an enemy capital and sink their fishing fleet for huge xp and gold. Not to mention sealed bottles. The green zones give them unlimited reinforcements. But if a dozen+ players are sitting there AFK then whose to reinforce? They will be lucky if someone calls off that you attacked them. You could probably smash most of the fishing fleet before any serious response could be mounted. I, for one, upon hearing the Mortimer "pirate" fishing fleet is under attack will be doing more laughing than responding.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 1

Just load up and make your own fleet of ships. Sail them over to an enemy capital and sink their fishing fleet for huge xp and gold. Not to mention sealed bottles. The green zones give them unlimited reinforcements. But if a dozen+ players are sitting there AFK then whose to reinforce? They will be lucky if someone calls off that you attacked them. You could probably smash most of the fishing fleet before any serious response could be mounted. I, for one, upon hearing the Mortimer "pirate" fishing fleet is under attack will be doing more laughing than responding.

Enemy nations can't attack in the green zone, they can only be attacked. Neither can pirates attack pirates in the green zone.

No, there is something wrong with being able to afk fish in a protected zone where you can't be attacked.  AFK fishing on the Open Sea outside protected zones?  That is fine.  That is risky.  Also, fishing is not low reward.  I've had like 14-16 bottles?  That isn't low reward.  In fact, it is more than you can expect to get from risky combat.  Even fishing without bottles isn't low reward.  I sell my fish for 99 gold to ports.  1000 fish (a traders lynx can carry 1600) is 100k.  Again, more than you can typically expect from risky combat.

What needs to happen is the no fish zone needs to be extended a bit more so that there isn't a small invisible ring inside the protected zone where you can fish.  Simple and easy solution to a simple problem.

• Like 3

Making around 300k in 8 hours and 3-4 bottles like some guys i know doing this when at work or sleeping each day, while sitting afk in the middle of nowhere fishing ... just sailing 20-25 mn before going afk and 20-25mn when coming back ... If you even go that far as there is plenty of nice spots for fishing idle not far from coasts that will barely see any other ship visit ...

Please can i have a Bank returning me 15-20% interests rate each night on the money i have stored while i'm not even playing a single second ?

I don't see any difference between afk fishing and using a bot? Little scenario here: Just before I go out for the day at 0915 I set up for afk fishing and return 8 hours later, and lets say I

have made between 60 and 100k maybe more (purely a guess btw) but easily possible with a bottle or 2. So you have made a good chunk of gold with no positive interaction within the game or with fellow peers. If you do this for 5 days whilst at work you have made a right tidy profit. I feel this gives afk fishers an unfair advantage against players like myself that only catch fish when I am en route to some place.  I do understand why people use afk fishing as a way of making some easy gold simply because it is endorsed.   

• Like 1

I was all for the fishing business, but I hate to see good old fighting frigates turned into damn fishing trawlers. Well I suppose it adds more to the game. Maybe implement fishing boats, giving fishing boats certain bonuses and weaknesses? So you can farm fish only while sailing a fishing boat and not his majesties ship of the line please.

ships_brighton_hog_boat.jpg

ships_fifie.jpg

ships_fishingsmack.jpg

Some ideas of fishing boats?

Edited by Peter Fouche
  • Like 2

Well we could add a RISK for anyone who would like to partake in the AFK Fishing Fleets...If you stay at anchor too long as you are away from your keyboard, we could have a Giant Kraken from time to time come up out of the depths and drag your ship and crew to the bottom...LOL  Would be interesting to gamble your ship and crew if you are AFK...

Just an idea...

Well we could add a RISK for anyone who would like to partake in the AFK Fishing Fleets...If you stay at anchor too long as you are away from your keyboard, we could have a Giant Kraken from time to time come up out of the depths and drag your ship and crew to the bottom...LOL  Would be interesting to gamble your ship and crew if you are AFK...

Just an idea...

Hazardous fishing, eh? I suppose there's always that loading screen of the guys firing a musket at the sea serpent.

"You have caught 1xLeviathan."

"What?"

"Leviathan has targeted you. Battle will begin in 20 seconds."

"Cancel fishing! Cancel fishing!"

Well there is already a game mechanic catering for afk players, just implement for when people are in the open world as well, where the server will kick you from the game after a certain time of no activity when sitting still in one place. In the process they should lose any fishes caught and not yet claimed.

The problem with AFK fishing is that you are making money with no risk.

If you go AFK sailing when sailing between ports there is still the risk of being attacked.

I'm not against fishing as it brings more people to the open world & bottle catching brings exploration (which I love)

The game just needs to be fixed so there is no fishing or bottle catching anywhere in green zones

If you want to AFK fish against the shore where little go, fine then.

• Like 1