Game-Labs Forum

Patch 9.8 - Damage model 5.0, Server merges, Bird is a word (19th may)

admin

I don't think it will be too much of an issue. I'd rather see defended port battles than PvT, and this seems like a good step to ensure that ports can be defended.

Ports could be defended if nations wouldn't leave themselves so far from their already captured ports. Removing tele's completely would prevent enormously spread nations, as it would require them to leave time to sail back to homeland for defense, or risk losing it.

BTW, I saw no mention in this patch about the 7 day (or so) cool down on captured ports. Or did I miss that?

• Like 1

Which in turn means that we can all go in an instant from one battle to the next. We all can tele from a Santi in an east battle straight off to a Santi attack on the west, allowing for quick takedowns of entire nations by having them surrounded by a single clan. At leasst with the old tele downtime system, you would have to wait until the next port timer came around. Now it can be done in a single window. Doesn't make much sense to me, but what do i know...

No its not. Right now its like this:

Nation A = Small Nation (f.e. Sweden,USA)

Nation B = Big Nation (f.e. Britain, France, "Pirates")

Nation B wants to get Ports from Nation A, since you can attack multiple ports at once, they craft 5 Flags for 5 ports and can nearly fill all the port battles, 

Nation A has only 25 Ships scattered across the rather tiny nation, but until they can team up at one port battle anything is over.

And i dont think anyone of your nation has 4 Santis or so lying around, North, South, East and West. also, i dont know what you all have with loosing ports, they are worth nothing but for crafting, and you can get materials otherwise. If you dont have enough Players in a Nation to keep up 20 Ports, why do you so badly want to defend it if you cant anyways in the Longterm ?

PS: Also, if its a small nation it got steamrolled anyways, the ports wont be on the other side of the map if they only have 5 or so.

Edited by Paint
  • Like 1

Can you explain the thinking behind teleport to capital having to have an empty hold?

So people can't safely teleport cargo anymore.

Am I reading this right that a ship that is sinking will not ever be able to click out anymore unless the battle is over?

I would say that it's the lesser of two evils where right now battles are 0 vs 25 but with no teleport cooldown then it might actually get 25 vs 25.

Overall a game where battles occur fast is better than a game of empty battles.

I completely agree that the more 25v25 the better. However that would also be accomplished by removing tele's completely, which would also prevent widespread nations... Who would seriously venture all the way to the gulf to capture those ports if it meant you had to sail all the way back to jamaica to defend? I'd assume nations would stay closer to home...within sailing distance. But you know what assume is. heh.

At any rate, all this will make this game an entirely new adventure. GLHF mates. Cya at more ports now :)

• Like 3

Actually without any teleport ability we'd probably see people turtling in corners of the map, largely having a PvE experience and rarely risking spreading out for fear of a SORRY-style Golden Horde coming through their homeland while they're away, and being unable to get back in time to do anything about it.

Trading would get a lot more onerous and so would privateering. It would become a game of hide and seek and probably pretty boring for all involved.

Edited by Sansón Carrasco
  • Like 2

Can you explain the thinking behind teleport to capital having to have an empty hold?

It's so that the carebears will actually have to sail trade goods to where they want them to go, rather than abuse the "teleport to capital" feature and removing all risk.

• Like 2

third rates should be a lot more useful and we plan to do minor changes to 1st and 2nd rate to make diverse ship set ups more viable.

the width of the planking is the first step in that direction. after that we might try tuning speeds and wind curves

imo just lower labor hours on 3rd rates to 500, raise their armor to 9000 and call it a day. The only significant labor sinks should be first and second rates imo.

A bit saddened labor hours and crafting weren't touched at all this patch

Edited by Quineloe

Actually without any teleport ability we'd probably see people turtling in corners of the map, largely having a PvE experience and rarely risking spreading out for fear of a SORRY-style Golden Horde coming through their homeland while they're away, and being unable to get back in time to do anything about it.

Trading would get a lot more onerous and so would privateering. It would become a game of hide and seek and probably pretty boring for all involved.

i have indeed totally forgotten the trading aspect. Man, I'd hate to have to sail to those trader ports :( heh

I completely agree that the more 25v25 the better. However that would also be accomplished by removing tele's completely, which would also prevent widespread nations... Who would seriously venture all the way to the gulf to capture those ports if it meant you had to sail all the way back to jamaica to defend? I'd assume nations would stay closer to home...within sailing distance. But you know what assume is. heh.

At any rate, all this will make this game an entirely new adventure. GLHF mates. Cya at more ports now :)

Removing Teleport and so "restricting" the range of friendly ships would hurt PVP. When a Nation is fairly surrounded or even sorrounded by an Allie, it would greatly prevent their PVP efforts. Also this would make the life for people who dont really have much time to play like me way too difficult since you need to travel to the current "frontline" right now it works quite fine for me with having an outpost in the north east and West since i really use the teleport only once a day.

Just my Opinion though. I also appreciate yours as it helps in the Development of the game.

Edited by Paint

third rates should be a lot more useful and we plan to do minor changes to 1st and 2nd rate to make diverse ship set ups more viable.

the width of the planking is the first step in that direction. after that we might try tuning speeds and wind curves

This excites me, I much prefer playing with heavy frigates and 3rd rates. They are just more fun than their super heavy counterparts.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy
  • Like 1

i have indeed totally forgotten the trading aspect. Man, I'd hate to have to sail to those trader ports :( heh

Removing teleport to capital is going to require traders to personally sail at least one leg of their journey now, which will expose them to risk in the OW and, depending on their route, potentially a lot of "boring" sailing time.

On the plus side, by making use of the "Send to outpost" mechanic combined with the no cooldown on teleporting between outposts mechanic, they will be able to do something like the following:

- Go into national waters near their capital with a warship

- Cap an AI trade ship carrying contraband

- Use "Send to outpost" to send the trade ship to their outpost.

- Return to capital, teleport to outpost they sent their trade ship to

- Sail laden trade ship to capital (or whatever)

- Rinse repeat

Ideally (for those who don't like to sail, anyways), at some point in the future there will be the ability to hire an NPC fleet to perform the trade ship delivery between outpost and capital / other outpost. If this were combined with the unlimited outpost teleport mechanic, a whole new and probably really fun trader game mode could evolve, where the trader teleports from outpost to outpost setting up AI ship deliveries. It would almost be like an RTS. I think it could be a fun solution for those who really enjoy the economic side of games like this.

EDIT: Also, this change (removing teleport with cargo) will potentially create a viable market for trade ships at destinations outside the capital. Eg. figure out where your nation / clan are gathering resources (i.e. copper, silver, gold) and make a tidy profit selling ready made fast trade ships in the ship market there. They will be able to teleport into their outpost at the port, purchase one of your fast ships, and then sail it back to the capital or whatever, where they can then re-sell the ship to recoup some of the cost of investment. Could be an interesting new angle for low level crafters looking to level up their crafting fast, I think.

P.S. - Also, now that you can't teleport to capital, there will be good reason to establish your crafting shipyard in places (i.e. free ports) outside of your national waters, closer to the ports producing resources and/or the frontlines of battle. Will be interesting to see what effect this has on where people spend their time, now that they aren't drawn by the irresistible force of convenience back to the capital all the time.

Edited by Sansón Carrasco

- Go into national waters near their capital with a warship

- Cap an AI trade ship carrying contraband

- Use "Send to outpost" to send the trade ship to their outpost.

- Return to capital, teleport to outpost they sent their trade ship to

- Sail laden trade ship to capital (or whatever)

- Rinse repeat

How is this any different than capping a trade vessel near the port that sells those goods? I don't see the advantage here, except for the fact that you attack a defenseless bot in slightly safer waters.

Teleporting to capital w/o cargo and giving exp for exploring/trading doesn't fit together.

How do you get back to your capital what you gathered during exploration ?

Besides: this might make sense on PvP server, where players usually trade close to their capital, so they can sail back stuff, but it doesn't make sense at all on pve server, where players can trade all over the map.

I eg often build ships for players from the other end of the map and could only do that by tping the materials and the crafting fee (notes eg) back to my capital.

Sry, but this is yet another  case of completely ignoring PvE server.

Why dont devs just force merge PvE to PvP and get rid of the next 100 players ?

Edited by Jan van Santen