Game-Labs Forum

Shoot the sail

It might be just me, but the past week or so PVP has seemed to turn into matches of shoot the sail.

I recognize that it's a valid tactic, but my last several (about 4 )seemed to be matches based on shredding each other's sails. Gets kinda dull.

It might be just me, but the past week or so PVP has seemed to turn into matches of shoot the sail.

I recognize that it's a valid tactic, but my last several (about 4 )seemed to be matches based on shredding each other's sails. Gets kinda dull.

Those sail shot are not making leaks on your ship.....keep sails in battle mode , aim the enemy waterline and enjoy the new leaks system...

In the end sail shooting was a very common tactic (specially in french navy) so it being a perceived useful option  in the game seems sound simulation.

• Like 3

when capping AI warships went the way of the dinosaurs, the meta switched to capping everything. Hence the switch to immobilizing and graping, then boarding

Have not thought about it that way, what a boring way to fight.

I suck at PVP boarding fights lol.

The problem that I see is that the current demasting mechanic incentivises bigger ships to use very small caliber guns that the ship would never have carried in real life, in order to benefit from an extremely high reload. Also, in real life, many mast went down in fights but not always in spite of how the French aimed.

Masts should fall but they should fall less predictably. For this reason, I propose trying out the following. First, balance the gun damage so that although a quick reload of the smaller cannon allow for more shots, it will take exponentially more hits to reduce a mast hp to nothing. The choice on a connie should not be between 6 lb and 24 lbs cannon but rather 18 vs 24 where the damage difference to the mast is much closer yet you gain a bit of an advantage in reload with a more realistic load out.

Second, when the mast reaches 0 hp, it does not necessarily fall. Add in a probability that makes the collapse more random. This would hopefully put risk into the equation for the group that attempts to demast as a rule. We shouldn't be able to fully demast a boat in 10 minutes yet take 30 to sink it. That removes choice. There is only one choice. Demast or be demasted.

• Like 1

I dont necessarily agree...  if someone is focusing your sails, you have X amount of time to hit hull and try to sink, if thats what you prefer.  

Although people may really hate it, what this game gets VERY CORRECT is the huge advantage of outnumbering your opponent, even if you have smaller ships.  We have a couple of guys, who shall remain nameless, who routinely cap 3rd, Ingers and Pavels in their 2-3 Renommees...  

Its all about being patient and staying out of the "dead zones" 

• Like 1

I find demasting a valid tactic when you can afford to take shots at your enemies' sails rather than his hull.

I am not questioning the validity of the tactic, but when it seems that's all anyone does it can end up in rather boring combat.

Keep running if you are so inclined, keep being tagged, keep spreading the gospel of Pirate Jesus.

If not inclined to run, deliver the gospel through cannon fire and rum filled boarding parties and groggy marines.

If all fails, well, that's also Naval Action.

Out of jokes, it is a tactic, very frenchy in historical nature, true to doctrine, and yields good results in capturing enemy ships.

• Like 3

Then shoot the hull and job well done.

I am not questioning the validity of the tactic, but when it seems that's all anyone does it can end up in rather boring combat.

It is also a tactic to keep a ship in play. Chasing a ship at a distabce where a hull shot is not likely, but a sail shot is will provide you some time to close the gap that otherwise will time out and the target escapes.

Why are so many acting like I'm questioning the validity when I clearly stated otherwise.

My point is when that's what all the PVP fights are durning intothe game play gets a little stale.

Not questioning anything :) just saying some of the battles develop like that mainly because of bad tags or good defense tagging, which are the norm in pvp.

When a tag is successful and the ship is worth sinking, it will be shot to pieces. 

Those sail shot are not making leaks on your ship.....keep sails in battle mode , aim the enemy waterline and enjoy the new leaks system...

In the end sail shooting was a very common tactic (specially in french navy) so it being a perceived useful option  in the game seems sound simulation.

what good is battle sails when you're receiving round shot to your masts? 

People are actually using chain shot vs combat ships? It deals slightly more damage than the round shot that hits the sails, it reloads slower and it's nowhere as good as taking down a mast. 

Where can we fight these guys? 

One factor is that if people think they are going to win, they will only shoot sails and crew, because if the other guy thinks he is going lose he will invariably:

1. let himself sink if he gets even a single leak from ball shot.

2. ram you and sink if you leave him with maneuverability.

3. let himself burn if he gets a fire from ball hitting cannons.

• Like 1

People shoot sails a lot less in battles that are somewhat equal. Sails are involved in battles where enemy can run away. Thats the only way to stop the ship. Unless there is POTBS magic (slow down enemy by 50% by magic shot) that will remain the only way.

• Like 4

what good is battle sails when you're receiving round shot to your masts? 

People are actually using chain shot vs combat ships? It deals slightly more damage than the round shot that hits the sails, it reloads slower and it's nowhere as good as taking down a mast. 

Where can we fight these guys? 

I've often used chain shot when the battle starts close in to force a sail repair early and then knock the sails down enough post-repair to keep my target slow enough for me to demast. Since I don't use Trincs and Renomees, I can't really count on being faster than my opponent and both of those ships tend to run from my Essex and Belle Poule. A single good salvo when an opponent is near perpendicular to you can knock 15% off his sails, and 7-10% parallel. This assumes I intend to cap and not outright sink however.

One factor is that if people think they are going to win, they will only shoot sails and crew, because if the other guy thinks he is going lose he will invariably:

1. let himself sink if he gets even a single leak from ball shot.

2. ram you and sink if you leave him with maneuverability.

3. let himself burn if he gets a fire from ball hitting cannons.

Another thing I've noticed is green on green ramming, especially when the opposing group has a SoL in it. I've seen multiple occasions this week where a 5th rate would ram a 2nd or 3rd rate at full sail to make him leak and sink so we can't capture it. Only thing you can really do in that situation is try and get between to block the ram.

its great unless certain people run macros so they can turn their sails super fast........

its great unless certain people run macros so they can turn their sails super fast........

like double tapping Q or E or Z or C ? It is a feature and uses the same yard turn speed it simply goes full turn.

no they are using a macro and move their sails faster..as the ball moves to them they are already moved to exactly the spot the balls will miss. they do it way to fast . and have admitted to using macros for it. 

Edited by Zisme

oh okay.

I have developed a keen sense of timing to evade broadsides, not consistently of course, but no macros.

What you say is a serious thing, I am sure developers did  answer to your reports about this if the reports are anything close to real :)