Game-Labs Forum

Will the new no capture NPC warships help or hurt PVP

As the title says,

Do you feel the new no capture NPC warships will help or hurt PVP gameplay?

Well... it is a good change in the long run.

Clans with a good ressources/ crafting management will profit from these changes, while on the other hand smaller nations will suffer.

I think it will be a good change, killing SoL will be more rewardful.

• Like 1

Why would it hurt pvp? Everyone is going to sail BAsic frigates or smaller. It will be fun. 

It might hurt RvR in terms of small nations not being able to get their stock of SoL for PBs easily up, thus they can't compete with bigger sized nations.

Especially population wise.

I'd would like to see a system in which smaller nations getting slight buffs on ressource production for example.

It might hurt RvR in terms of small nations not being able to get their stock of SoL for PBs easily up, thus they can't compete with bigger sized nations.

I'd would like to see a system in which smaller nations getting slight buffs on ressource production for example.

Well at this point, rellying on 3rd rates only to fill your port battles wont save you when other nations are bringing 1st rates and 2nd rates.

• Like 3

Well at this point, rellying on 3rd rates only to fill your port battles wont save you when other nations are bringing 1st rates and 2nd rates.

It gives a chance in defense... without them you face Frigates with 1st/2nd rates or no defense at all.

• Like 1

You get less XP and Gold from a capture vs a sink.

This used to be offset by actually getting the 1 dura capture to sail.

Now you get some money.  I guess it depends on how much money we get from a capture.

If its sufficient then everyone will just pvp in common boats they purchased .  No problem to pvp.

If its not much then people will burn through their gold pvping pretty fast unless they want to go grind missions.

• Like 1

It gives a chance in defense... without them you face Frigates with 1st/2nd rates or no defense at all.

Wait for Forts and then we will talk about defense. :D They will slap 1st rates, unless you bring mortars to crush walls. Your fleet of 25 and Fort behind your back will hurt their 1rst rate line for sure. 

• Like 4

Remember that the admiralty will now reimburse you for the capture so you should be able to make enough gold after a few caps to purchase a higher ship if I am not mistaken

All the cash in the world won't compensate small nations who can't build the big ships because they don't own enough ports to do so.

This change only makes the zergs bigger and makes the small nations what was already difficult to compete darn near impossible. On the surface this doesn't help anyone and only hurts those people short on cash and short on players in small nations.

• Like 3

All the cash in the world won't compensate small nations who can't build the big ships because they don't own enough ports to do so.

This change only makes the zergs bigger and makes the small nations what was already difficult to compete darn near impossible. On the surface this doesn't help anyone and only hurts those people short on cash and short on players in small nations.

Can we stop playing nostradamus and test this patch, and after few times having some objective feedback ?

• Like 5

one thing to note is that at the moment, if you have the base 5 ports(or something like that) needed you have a theoretically infinate amount of every producable resource(assuming infinate players of course) and if we assume that when politics system is ingame and we can access neutral and allied ports(any maybe place production buildings? or maybe not, idk if that will happen) then the getting of resources is not a problem.

The real question is "what percentage of ships used in PvP today are captured from NPCs".

I would bet on there being little to no change with the major difference being you might start seeing fewer 3rd rates. The serious PvP ships of serious PvPers was the Trincom, so no change there -- those were never capturable anyway.

As with any mechanic change of this nature, it always favors the players that know how to adapt to the changes.

I would suspect that as long as the money tap remains at its current level PvP will continue along at the same click.  Capping player ships becomes more important.  But the PvP will be more frigate based than SOL based.

Your source of ships will simply transfer from open world NPC capping to purchasing from the NPC port shop and player crafted ships.

However the Constitution begins the Level 3 shipyard if I'm not mistaken.  That means Constitutions and above become available only through players that have spent 1.1 million gold to fully upgrades their shipyards.

That makes anything of that type sailing alone a huge gank target.  PvE grind at your own peril or in groups.

I dont think it really hurt PVP gameplay, most of PvP players already got a clan that have crafters to provide their ships, but for sure it will favour only some rich nations like Pirate, British, USA,..

and for the nations that have less ressource, they will suffer more.

Small nations get whittled down until they can no longer craft big enough ships in large enough quantities due to lack of one of more essential resources---->pirates get waaaay bigger. I guess we will see how it plays out.

Edited by Potemkin

one thing to note is that at the moment, if you have the base 5 ports(or something like that) needed you have a theoretically infinate amount of every producable resource(assuming infinate players of course) and if we assume that when politics system is ingame and we can access neutral and allied ports(any maybe place production buildings? or maybe not, idk if that will happen) then the getting of resources is not a problem.

And beyond that, if a nation were reduced down to just one capital port, you know what for sure would happen?

Traders from the conquering and other nations would start delivering the goods and ships needed to satisfy the demand generated by the small/single port nation to free ports nearby, because they would know they'd make a handsome profit from doing so.

And the small nation would use those goods and ships to fight back against the strong nation, by intercepting the trade ships deep behind the enemy's front lines, by vigorously defending their own trade ships transiting to and from the free ports, and by throwing a big effort into recapturing their lost ports.

In sum, there would be PVP for days, with something really meaningful to fight over and a real feeling of accomplishment for fighting back from that situation. If recent history on PVP1 and PVP2 is any guide, you might even see individuals and clans defecting to join the "losing" side, out of pure bloody-mindedness and a desire to participate in the small nation's comeback story (see: Spain, PVP1).

I like it.

When britain attacked denmark on 2 april 1801 in the 1 battle of Copenhagen they only had 12 SoL in a fleet of 30 ships. And denmark only had 9 SOL in the battle. so a port battle with only SoL would not be historical

As the title says,

Do you feel the new no capture NPC warships will help or hurt PVP gameplay?

Help.

In the long run players will come to the conclusion you have to risk to get reward. 

If you want a good 3rd rate, np go take it off a player. Easy mode removed IMO is always a good thing for PvP.

Why would it hurt pvp? Everyone is going to sail BAsic frigates or smaller. It will be fun. 

Except for the people who already have deep stocks of super Frigates, who will be farming Basic Frigates all day long until the basic frigate players quit out of frustration.

I think this is an important change. The fact RVR focused clans did not need to craft 3rd rates and could focus exclusively on First Rates has resulted in these mass first rate fleets. I don't know however if the complete removal of easily captured combat ships is overall  good. We're already looking at a very deep queue on ships for our clan, and I know it's the same for other clans that don't have people buying 5 more accounts for extra labor hours (Yes, this is a thing)

Free captured ships from AI was an excellent source of ships for PVP. That source is now completely removed, so you have to risk a ship you either paid a lot of money for or that cost you a lot of labor hours if you want to PVP. IE exactly what POBS did, and it resulted in absolutely no PVP whatsoever.

The current labor pool system is making this game pay 2 win.

In my opinion we should be able to capture any ship up to 5th rates from the AI. There really should not be a limit on how much frigate PVP this game can have, and labor hours should be rebalanced by a lot. Third rates should be significantly easier to  craft than first rates, right now if you have a Third rate ready to craft, you already have 70% of a first rate ready to go. That gap is too small. And the gap between a Frigate and a third rate shouldn't be 30% either.

Edited by Quineloe
  • Like 5

seems like a strange time to reduce the number of ships available to test certain aspects of the game, especially for smaller nations with less people pulling up resources from buildings.  Would have been nice if they added a way to trade/smuggle goods from non-nation ports first

• Like 1

this will absolutely hurt pvp. especially for small nations. 

for instance, sweden (PVP1) has no silver/red wood port. this means we can not sustainably craft 1-3 SoL. We also (probably) don't have enough big ships to wage a war to gain these ports. This means that we can only weaken. In other words, we are fucked and the capture change only makes matters worse.  

These changes will also deter people from pvp'ing in anything that can not be bought from NPC's or easily crafted because of how much time it takes to craft SoL's. 

I think it is a bad change. I also think the "ganking" changes are very bad as well. 

• Like 2