Game-Labs Forum

Competition - World of Warships

Destraex

World of warships is entering BETA now. I have a few friends in the BETA.

This for me because it is motor boats with guns is not as technical or challenging as the age of sail.

However it is very exciting for a lot because it has Aircraft, submarines and planes as well as ww1 ships and ww2 ships. 

Night battles etc.

It sounds as if these two games are almost being developed along a very similar timeline. 

Anyways just thought I would put it on your radar admins if it was not already.

I shunned the world of tanks game because it was NOT a real attempt at a tank warfare portrayal at all. No infantry or any other support apart from artillery. World of ships may be similar.

It will probably have no radar directed fire, no firing at realistic ranges with fire control, no proper engine management (ww1 ships blew boilers all the time, dodgy repair kits and times, incorrect fleet composition etc. What it does have going for it is that the modern navy does not need infantry to be portrayed.

This game on the other hand has all the makings of being much more realistic and well made.

http://worldofwarships.com/game/

World of warships is entering BETA now. I have a few friends in the BETA.

This for me because it is motor boats with guns is not as technical or challenging as the age of sail.

However it is very exciting for a lot because it has Aircraft, submarines and planes as well as ww1 ships and ww2 ships. 

Night battles etc.

Its in alpha and thus your friends cant be in beta.

There are no boats in that game, only ships.

It dont have player flyable aircraft or submarines, but it do have ww1 and ww2 ships.

And no night battles yet for a looong time into the future.

Source: Me (Im an alpha tester)

All this info here is public for anyone so i havent broken any NDAs saying it.  :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect this will appeal to a different audience in the long run than WoWS (I am also a WoWS alpha tester, albeit with limited experience).  The nuances of combat in the Golden Age and the Second World War differ vastly, to the effect that any comparison really isn't worthwhile.  I've seen quite a few from the PotBS crowd around here, which is interesting.

Additionally, fancy meeting you here, Eyeless.  You may remember me, if by virtue of World of Warwinds. :)

• 1 month later...

I liked the potential the game had but in the end I couldn't stick to it because the devs did not seem to want to take an approach similar to navyfield or with more realism in general. What particularly got to me was they never wanted a simple ocean map. Besides the playerbase was a little on the elitist side with history know-it-alls who tend to shut out any new guys, I hate that.  <_<

ANYWAY Naval Action will probably be better, 19th century warships seem more suitable for a naval game since it involves a lot of maneuvering and tactics. Last thing we need is a point and click adventure where the victory belongs to the one with the biggest turrets.

edit: also no submarines

the pain THE PAIN

• 2 weeks later...

WG is such a pos dev... Their attitude towards their community borders on predatory at the worst, non-cooperative at best. Do yourselves a favor and get War Thunder.

I was a long-time WoT player. Played WT for ten minutes, that was the end of my relationship with WoT.

Recently came back to play WoT casually, somehow I knew I would regret it. My 29.99 USD Super Pershing, which had already long been considered under-powered, had been nerfed for "historical" reasons. WG. Historical. Right.

Seriously. Get as far away from WG as you can.

• Like 1

WG is such a pos dev... Their attitude towards their community borders on predatory at the worst, non-cooperative at best. Do yourselves a favor and get War Thunder

Shall I correct this with FailJin for you?

Cause the same appears to be on their priorities. Bomber-problems, BF 109 nervs for whatever reasons. Spitfires beeing OP as fuck, Yaks performing like UFOs compared to their historical counterparts (not talking about the TU "bomber" (wich can outturn fighters))

I dont say any company is worse. I only say:

Both are beeing shit on listening to the community.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

true warthunder and wargaming said there wont be any subs.

Wargaming said theres a possibility for subs but that will be determined after the game is in a finished state. Either way its hard to voice your opinion on the addition of submarines when the fanboys immediately gang up on you in the wows forum. One time the developers even let the idea of subs slip during an interview and that made the fanboys rage to the point that the thread was locked. I imagine its probably the same for the War Thunder forum now, theyre the same group in a different flavor.

Its too bad though I'm pretty sure theres a whole submarine community out there that would've loved to play the game just so they can be in a U-boat.

Wargaming said theres a possibility for subs but that will be determined after the game is in a finished state. Either way its hard to voice your opinion on the addition of submarines when the fanboys immediately gang up on you in the wows forum. One time the developers even let the idea of subs slip during an interview and that made the fanboys rage to the point that the thread was locked. I imagine its probably the same for the War Thunder forum now, theyre the same group in a different flavor.

Its too bad though I'm pretty sure theres a whole submarine community out there that would've loved to play the game just so they can be in a U-boat.

Let's not rehash that debate here.  :)

They're two different games, geared towards two different playstyles.  There is DEFINITELY room for both.

Though the allure of sixteen inch guns blazing away is strong, I'd take a man-o-war any day over the, by then obsolete, WW2 battleships.  Saw a Victory in action yesterday in a PVP match, just what I expected.  Can't wait to see full fleet actions, it's going to be EPIC!

To me the concept of Naval Action offers a lot more than World of Warships. I imagine that World of Warships shall be a game that I spend the odd hour or so in whereas Naval Action shall see me dedicating my time like PotBS used to many years ago.