Game-Labs Forum

The st pavel?

Hey, today i take a look on the pavel and i read that's not a good ship (fast but lacks of manoeuvrability, shitty guns 6 pdn, no bow chaser) and it cost a lots to craft so it's good to craft it or should i wait for the victory?

Let's compare the 2 ships. 

Pavel. 

2nd Rate - 2 Dura's.
Crew - 800

Side Structure - 9000

Guns - 82 (30*42pd, 28*24pd, 20*6pd, 4*6pd)

Broadside Weight Cannons - 1038pd 

Broadside Weight Carro's - 1254pd (24pd carro's instead of 6pd cannons.)

Max Speed: 11.42kn

Turn Rate: 2.13

Victory. 

1st Rate - 1 Dura.

Crew - 850

Side Structure - 11500

Guns - 106 (32*42pd, 30*24pd, 30*12pd, 14*12pd)

Broadside Weight Cannons - 1296pd

Broadside Weight Carro's - 1506pd (14*42pd instead of 14*12pd.)

Max Speed: 10.57kn

Turn Rate: 2.14

Personally i use the Pavel. Not because it's better than the Victory but because it looks soo sexy! 
The biggest "Pro" for the Pavel compared to the Victory is that the Pavel is a 2nd rate and therefore has 2 Durabilities. This means that you can use modules on it without having to worry about loosing those modules in case you loose 1 Durability.

Pavel is bad, especially when you use the front fire row shooting mode, then you either have to strip the 4th deck or block it, otherwise your range shoots will shoot from your behind while your salvo will go from front to back.

Then comes the 2 decks of 6pd, that are pretty much useless.

Frankly I take bellona over pavel. And when you can choose between pavel and victory there is no choice, victory wins hands down.

2 durability is a saving grace, but still bellona is better -_-, when you consider range shoots.

Pavel hits way harder than a 74. Yes, the 6pdrs and gun layout is clunky but it's the 24pdr and 42s that do the talking.

It is a good training ship for the Vic (same turnrate) .

Two durabilities = Powder Monkeys = 5% more firepower to narrow the gap to the first rates plus Pavel outsails both of them easily beam reach.

All in all the go-to ship for Flag Captains imho.

• Like 1

i love my pavel. i do wish the top guns were heavier though. also the quartercastle aiming is annoying so i dont usually equip those cannons.

That is a roundhouse, no a quarterdeck, which is why it is so lightly armed. In reality it had only light 10pdr howitzers (1/4 pood edinorogs). Incidentally, these were removed in 1798, so you are perfectly justified in leaving them off your ship!

I personally find the dps of the bellona and pavel is almost identical, I also find that the pavel seems to take more damage, so the two bonuses it has kind of cancel out, my opinion is that the pavel is better than the 3rd but no improvement on the Bellona

"Pavel" is a beautiful ship, but severely undergunned and sails like a brick (mine at least, made of live oak (rolled stiffnes *sigh*) and with extra planking). The only upside is 2 dura. Tbh, even "Bellona" seems to be a better choice and "Victory" outperforms "Pavel" hardcore.

Hold on, could a Pavel be sailed effectively enough by someone of the Flag Captain (or equivalent) rank? The Flag Captain rank gives you 650 crew, and the Pavel requires 800 when fully-armed. However, according to the wiki, if you ran a loadout with medium cannons, each 6-pounder would require 4 men. 4 men X 24 guns = 96 men. If you chose not to use those cannons, then that's almost 100 men you don't need. Sudddenly, your Pavel only requires 700 men. A Flag Captain with 650 men would only be short 50 men when sailing a Pavel, and in return he'd get a ship that's more heavily armored than a 74 and that has fewer, but higher caliber, guns. Would that work? I can't test this myself, as I don't have the rank yet, but this seems like a way for the Pavel to be more than just an awkward stepping-stone between the 74 and the Victory. 

Hold on, could a Pavel be sailed effectively enough by someone of the Flag Captain (or equivalent) rank? The Flag Captain rank gives you 650 crew, and the Pavel requires 800 when fully-armed. However, according to the wiki, if you ran a loadout with medium cannons, each 6-pounder would require 4 men. 4 men X 24 guns = 96 men. If you chose not to use those cannons, then that's almost 100 men you don't need. Sudddenly, your Pavel only requires 700 men. A Flag Captain with 650 men would only be short 50 men when sailing a Pavel, and in return he'd get a ship that's more heavily armored than a 74 and that has fewer, but higher caliber, guns. Would that work? I can't test this myself, as I don't have the rank yet, but this seems like a way for the Pavel to be more than just an awkward stepping-stone between the 74 and the Victory. 

I did this setup and it worked just fine with some Hammocks thrown in there for extra manpower.

can 3rd rates and up be bought from NPCs or are they all crafted? Never seen one for sale ....

They are all crafted, 3rd rates though can be captured from AI fleets

Wait! 

A Victory and a Santisima does have only one dura??

Thats make these ships almost useless.

While they only have 1 dura, they will blow a pavel out of the water making 1st rates relatively expensive ships, but they are unmatched