Game-Labs Forum

Game is bleeding players

Ok, that clarifies all. I'm not very happy about your statement, but at least now it's clear what we should (not) expect from this game.

Where else you can take a Renommee designed by the famous Sane to a somewhat realistic depiction of age of sail naval battle? 

But why it makes you unhappy? And what did you expect from the game?

Take ganking for example. Vanstabel convoy (100 ships) ganked at least 20 british vessels on its way to France from USA. USS Constitution escaped from the gank - the so-called Great Chase. Yet many people don't like it and they call ganking the reason they are leaving the game. Should we care for this? It was part of the real age of sail experience. Purists will say it should stay - but it bleeds players.

Are you suggesting that using overwhelming force was always strategically sound?

Because that is the way it is in naval action currently.  In the real age of sail committing 25 ships to attack 1 enemy ship would have been a massive misuse of strategic assets

and would hardly make one look good at the admiralty.

Where else you can take a Renommee designed by the famous Sane to a somewhat realistic depiction of age of sail naval battle?

None of them will come out and admit it but what they want is world of warships with sails so they can feel comfortable and ise mods to assist in their gameplay and they dont want to have to think out a plan for the day they hust want to click keys and mash buttons and be able to drone along.

• Like 5

Using 25 ships to attack one, even now, is a massive misuse of resources, if that is the stated goal of the fleet. However, if those 25 stumble across 1 en route to something else... *shrugs*

I'm not saying it shouldn't be possible it should just be undesirable to do so.  In a real life situation they would probably break off 1 or 2 support ships, they would not risk being late to their objective to chase it.

None of them will come out and admit it but what they want is world of warships with sails so they can feel comfortable and ise mods to assist in their gameplay and they dont want to have to think out a plan for the day they hust want to click keys and mash buttons and be able to drone along.

Is that the same as the Econ guys being afraid to admit they don't want PVP more than 10% of the time?

Is that the same as the Econ guys being afraid to admit they don't want PVP more than 10% of the time?

If someone doesn't want to do PvP more than 10% of the time, they simply don't do it, instead of bragging about it on the forums.

But when they try and change the game to reflect their playstyle it's an issue.

When did they do so? I have been around for a while in the forums now, but only stumbled across a few "we want 100% pure PvP without any risk" topics, and none of the opposite. If someone doesnt want to do PvP, they simply avoid it, or go to PvE server.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be possible it should just be undesirable to do so.  In a real life situation they would probably break off 1 or 2 support ships, they would not risk being late to their objective to chase it.

But that's already the case.  A flag carrying fleet, for example, would not all stop for one fight, and would MAYBE break off ships to attack the one.  A fleet aiming to suppress a region might stomp lone vessels, but if the goal is region suppression, it makes sense.  In this case, I think that "waste of resources" translates directly from history to the game.  If the objective merits it, 25 will attack 1, but that's only if the objective merits it.

Ganking's gonna happen in any PVP game. If you don't like being ganked, Make friends and don't sail alone. Simples.

Which then also means "Independence doesn't exist in PvP games", and that's kind of a dealbreaker for people who want to be able to just log in and have some fun and not spend all their time following a group around.

Problem is that independence and going off on your own is kind of a quintessential part of the appeal of the age of sail, so once again the game screws genre fans for the sake of the clanwar crowd.

I know youre trying to be a smart ass but i will answer the question. Yes its the same thing. If you are a guy who only wants to trade amd do no pvp but join a pvp server then shut up and play or go to a pve server. Dont try and change the game to fit your needs.

Problem is that independence and going off on your own is kind of a quintessential part of the appeal of the age of sail, so once again the game screws genre fans for the sake of the clanwar crowd.

As you may know, lone vessels weren't raiding around waters where strong enemy squadrons patrolled, only if the admiralty wanted to risk their lives and ship for the prize.

Lone vessels raiding enemy ships were doing their work far away from the main battlegrounds. You should do the same, get away from the hotspots, and you will be more likely to find lone players.

Edited by kumisz
  • Like 1

Which then also means "Independence doesn't exist in PvP games", and that's kind of a dealbreaker for people who want to be able to just log in and have some fun and not spend all their time following a group around.

Once again youre showing that you dont even play the game you just like attention here. I log in, play solo most days, find some fights within minutes, have fun, log out.

Again you are wrong.

Using 25 ships to attack one, even now, is a massive misuse of resources, if that is the stated goal of the fleet. However, if those 25 stumble across 1 en route to something else... *shrugs*

I don't think you are playing the same game I am.

If people are using 25 ships to attack 1 then the 1 ship has already won. It is a widely used mechanic to stop larger nations with as few of ships as possible to distract the larger nation. In-fact the game has put in mechanics to prevent things like cutters keeping a full 25 fleet busy.

The 1 ship has done his job if he can keep 25 ships tied up and keep them from doing a Port Battle (which I assume is the case since people don't run around with 25 players otherwise)

I can't tell you how many times smaller ships and smaller compliment of ships has prevented a full 25 from attacking a port and therefore saving it. They play just as important of a roll as those in a port battle.

Plus if morons are stupid enough to attack 1 ship with 25 they deserve what they get for breaking off such a large fleet to deal with 1 ship.

Your scenario is good for the game NOT bad for the game. Well... as long as you are playing the same game I am.

If you are complaining that you don't like Naval Action because it is possible for 25 to attack 1 then you clearly don't understand the game you are playing. This is actually a good thing and it is primarily a good thing for the single ship.

I expect(ed?) this game ... to become a MMORPG with a lot of things to do and full of exciting contents (let's say that I if could do even the half of the half of the things I can do in EVE online, but in the age of sails, that would be simply wonderful for me).

Edited by victor

Read my answer to the devs and meditate ... not world of warship but eve online.

Please, come play EVE and I will personally let you taste (and test) the real flavour of ganking.

Problem - at least for me - is not ganking, but the fact that there should me more different things to do. My day (or, better, the coulple of hours that I dedicate to the game) now is: a couple of missions to get a little xp, use all my labour hours to craft something, some market buy and sell and the eventual PVP action (not RvR, since I am not a fan of grinding so I cannot jump in a third rate).

Please be respectful to your fellow Captains and refrain from using negative and dismissive terms such as "boy".  - H. Darby

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby

Many people say that grind is very bad in NA - but the only reason it is in game right now is to provide somewhat realistic experience of the Captain slowly going up the ranks. It took nelson 30 years to get to the highest rank 

I bet, that Nelson, if all he would ever have to do to rise in ranks were to repeat a single mission ad nauseam, he would have left the RN as misdshipman :)

The grind in this game isn't so bad because it is needed to rise in rank, it is so bad because Naval Action is the only MMO i ever played with just 1 single quest in PvE (add to that a cheating AI in that quest) 

(In theory there are 2 more possibilities in PvE: capture ships in open world and do battles, but those two are mere theory. To capture ships there are way to little in OW. Battles are a joke as unbalanced as they are)

One of the main reasons the PvE part of this game bleeds: a beautiful parcel (graphics, ships...) is filled with very little content. 

Edited by Jan van Santen

Read my answer to the devs and meditate, boy ... not world of warship but eve online.

Please, come play EVE and I will personally let you taste (and test) the real flavour of ganking.

Problem - at least for me - is not ganking, but the fact that there should me more different things to do. My day (or, better, the coulple of hours that I dedicate to the game) now is: a couple of missions to get a little xp, use all my labour hours to craft something, some market buy and sell and the eventual PVP action (not RvR, since I am not a fan of grinding so I cannot jump in a third rate).

You can PVP from the second you start playing. The limiting factor is you. The cutter you start with is free to repair and an excellent sailor, along with the Privateer and Pickle (next two ships in line). They can catch player traders and also easily get away from retaliatory ganks, and on the offchance you find yourself alone vs a larger ship like a Cerberus (or even a Trincomalee) you can sit on his stern and laugh as he tries desperately to sink you with his stern chasers. There's plenty of fun in the game world, you just have to go out and find it.

My only concern is that for solo fights there are only 4 viable ships (maybe 5)

privateer (for traders and light ships)

niagara

renommee

trincomalee

(maybe surprise if you run by tacking but will not work in many cases against a big gank)

the rest just cannot escape in most cases

Just because of chasers?

I've never been caught in a Surprise thanks to counter-tagging, and have even run away from mixed frigate groups in a Cerberus (one of the fastest frigates at 90).

Read my answer to the devs and meditate, boy

Boy is your mongrel sir. Sorry for the laughter but couldn't help it at all.

NA is primarily a game of combat in the age of sail using ships and takes place in a vast open world that can be sailed and interacted.

It has a very important social aspect without the need of in-game mechanics. This I like a lot as I like to play with other people and not other players, if you can understand the difference.

It is not an arena game, it is a game of war where you are the file and rank or the overall commander, wherever you want to be, without resorting to common automated mechanics to do anything.

I simply do not use economy/crafting apart from buying ships from the crafters, so I will reserve my opinion on that to a secondary importance.

Half heart salute with a natural sneer.

Capt. Hethwill

You can PVP from the second you start playing. The limiting factor is you. The cutter you start with is free to repair and an excellent sailor, along with the Privateer and Pickle (next two ships in line). They can catch player traders and also easily get away from retaliatory ganks, and on the offchance you find yourself alone vs a larger ship like a Cerberus (or even a Trincomalee) you can sit on his stern and laugh as he tries desperately to sink you with his stern chasers. There's plenty of fun in the game world, you just have to go out and find it.

If you call this "a lot of contents" then you are right. Otherwise maybe you did not understand what I was telling.

Boy is your mongrel sir. Sorry for the laughter but couldn't help it at all.

NA is primarily a game of combat in the age of sail using ships and takes place in a vast open world that can be sailed and interacted.

It has a very important social aspect without the need of in-game mechanics. This I like a lot as I like to play with other people and not other players, if you can understand the difference.

It is not an arena game, it is a game of war where you are the file and rank or the overall commander, wherever you want to be, without resorting to common automated mechanics to do anything.

I simply do not use economy/crafting apart from buying ships from the crafters, so I will reserve my opinion on that to a secondary importance.

Half heart salute with a natural sneer.

Capt. Hethwill

Was I talking to you? No. So what? I do not care a bit about your laughters, since they just hide the lack of arguments. This is a alpha so Naval Action is nothing but a work in progress. You are already satisfied for what NA is now? Well: that's your view. I'm not. And that's my view. So stop laughing, since this is actually what boys do when they are not able to discuss!

Edited by victor