Game-Labs Forum

Mercury or Save my gold?

I am currently Rank 3, about to reach Rank 4.  I am using a Snow.  My question is, when I rank up at get 150 crew, should I buy a Mercury, or should I save my gold and wait till I hit rank 5 then buy a Cerberus or a slightly under crewed Surprise?  

I've gotten mixed reviews from players in game about the Mercury, so I'm just trying to figure out if its worth buying one.  

Extra info: I play on PVP server, so I do a mix of PVP and PVE, I usually play with a small group.  Not sure if that makes a difference in every ones thoughts on whether or not to buy a mercury.   

Generally I advise players to try every ship, learn how they sail and what they can fit but it really depends on how much money you've got. If you're playing with a group usually and money is tight then you can easily get by with the snow until you get the Cerb.

• Like 1

The one thing about the Mercury that could hurt is the fact she doesn't have any chase guns at all, unlike the snow and Surprise. (the Cerb just has stern chasers iirc) However, I LOVED my Mercury. If you know how to manual control sails decently well, you can make her nearly turn on a dime which can really help you out. 

Also, another thing to note, if you manage to get a Mercury made out of live oak, she'll be able to take a pretty decent beating, and then dish it out with her 24lb carronades.

Honestly, go for it if you're ok with not having chasers. She is a bloody fine ship. =)

• Like 1

Exactly as said by kitsunelegend

Simply love the the speed and manouverability  (maual sails needed) , best option to do quick traders, and with  the 24pd can make quick job of any one ships of her size.

Take too in account mercs and navy brigs are top ships you will find in swallow water so it is not a bad idea to master them.

• Like 1

I have one, but Mercury is not my favourite ship, since it's quite good in everything but best in nothing

So, f you want to catch lone IA traders, a carronade Snow is better;

If you run missions or like fighting small IA fleets, a carronade Navy Brig is better: much better tank, more stability, less likely to be hit by enemies, better agility due to the shorter keel, less DPS (partially compensated by a better application of damage, since with carronades in a Merc you will miss a lot if you do not go to really close quarters).

The only scenario where  a Mercury really shines is in group fleeting vs higher tier IA ships, where - with long cannons - you can farm XP and gold from afar, while taking almost no damage.

So, summarizing: Mercury it's a good ship if you want to do everithing with just one ship, but if you have a snow, grab a navy brig (or, better, board one IA and get it) and save your gold until you can sail the cerberus.

Edited by victor

I think Mercury is solid little ship. She is faster than Navy brig with good tank and nice broadside firepower. You do not need chasers to hunt traders anymore so the mercury is fine. But there is nothing you cannot do in a Snow until you reach Cerberus. But for PVP the Mercury is the best choice from the +-150 crew ships. 

The Mercury I build was Live Oak... still great speed and able to sustain considerable amount of damage. I used it a long time (with great fun and joy I may add) and it was so useful to refine my manual sailing...in the end a great ship for your level GenTroy.

Thanks for all the info so far.  I do have a question about cannonades. I understand they are meant for close range, but what exactly is considered close range in NA.  100m? 250m?  I pick those numbers, because I use those aiming modes quite often. 

Thanks for all the info so far.  I do have a question about cannonades. I understand they are meant for close range, but what exactly is considered close range in NA.  100m? 250m?  I pick those numbers, because I use those aiming modes quite often. 

250 m is where you have to really adjust for distance....and they start falling in to the ship rather then fly into the side...but really good dps over all.

Merc has speed and tankiness and can mount the biggest carrodades in that class so it's an excellent brawler. Snow has tons of guns, chasers, but is a bit weak on armor so it makes for a mix of a sniper and machinegun at medium/long range... 

Both are good... Just a question of preference and style. I'm now a carronade fanboy for PVE/port battles so I'd lean towards Merc... but the Snow's front chasers and indecent amount of guns makes it a lot of fun too.

It's up to you GenTroy. I have a Surprise at 4th rank. Very under crewed. I bought it from a crafter. I tested it out in a battle and I see I need more crew for it to be effective. I enjoyed sailing it though. Moth-balled it for awhile now.

I'm going to try and capture one tonight, my buddy is going to try and capture a Navy Brig.  That way we can both try out both ships and see how they fit our play style.  Thanks again for all the info about both ships, it has been very helpful. 

• Like 1

I prefer the Merc to the Snow, its hard to argue with the weight of the broadside it can muster. The only time my Merc has been really found to be lacking is when I was heeling over heavily while my opponent had grape loaded, whole broadside went right into the crew on deck, lost about 50% of them. Now that completely screws you.

On the other hand, Snows like to go on fire quite readily, and Cerbs aren't really comparable, as they're a deep-water ship.

I wouldn't buy a Surprise at 200 crew, that's going to be pretty awful.

Edited by Tindahbawx

200 crew out of 240crew is not awful at all specially with the next update on crew focus. + Powdermonkeys+Magazine accces or just mounting smaller cannons.

Mercury is more stable than Snow and Navybrig is the tankiest of em all.

but if you have 150crew allready then you can get a Cerberus and load her with carronades.

the crew handicap is nothing if you are doing Ai and Missions.

• Like 1

TBH I can only tell about my own experience.

I used snow and easily solo'd missions in it at rank 4. I didn't bother with the Merc though I do have a couple of capped ones. I saved my dosh for a gold cerb which I now use for doing rank 5 missions which I have no problems with. I kept my gold snow which I still use for hunting traders etc.

Personally I'd save your cash because if you have a snow, you don't need a merc. Once you hit rank 5 buy a gold cerb. You'll also have enough cash to buy some decent grade upgrades which will make the cerb much more effective. Keep the snow, the cerb is quit a big, slow beast so sometimes it's refreshing to jump back into the snow.  The Cerb will see you through nicely till rank 6 when you'll be looking for something new and shinny :D

Good luck Captain.

Edited by Long Beard

UPDATE:

The Mercury is a nice ship. Turns on a dime, low to the water, 12 cannons per side. I like it.

Better to get medium or long cannons. I tried carronades and that proved virtually useless in fleet battles.

I use the Carronades in my Merc, but keep a set of Longs in the cargo hold. If a fleet fight is brewing, I just dock at the nearest port, switch them over and go have a scrap.

If the fight starts before you can switch,  just sail right at them, find their largest ship and stern-camp its ass, he'll be hurting plenty fast from 24lb Carronade broadsides. Either he turns to deal with you, or ignores you and takes a beating, either way you team will appreciate it.

Edited by Tindahbawx
  • Like 1

I use the Carronades in my Merc, but keep a set of Longs in the cargo hold. If a fleet fight is brewing, I just dock at the nearest port, switch them over and go have a scrap.

If the fight starts before you can switch,  just sail right at them, find their largest ship and stern-camp its ass, he'll be hurting plenty fast from 24lb Carronade broadsides. Either he turns to deal with you, or ignores you and takes a beating, either way you team will appreciate it.

See this is why I browse these forums! Never though of carrying different guns with me. What a simple but good idea!

• Like 1

See this is why I browse these forums! Never though of carrying different guns with me. What a simple but good idea!

Well the thing is, you don't need to carry them, given that all ports stock them, however I was finding that switching all the time was adding up to a reasonably significant sum of money, its cheaper to just bring them with you.