Game-Labs Forum

Minor patch today - Important port battle changes

admin

Hello Captains

This is a last hot fix before the promised content update.

Port battles - important change

Port battles BR difference win condition was sometimes allowing easy wins for defenders. We have applied 2 following changes.

1 - BR difference required to win the battle is 2x now

2 - Battle circle now becomes smaller by the end port battle forcing players who are circle strafing towards the center of the battle - to towers.

Circle of death starts shrinking 15 minutes before the end of the port battle! Attacking and defending forces should use precaution when time reaches 15 mins and try to get back to the central area before that (where towers are).

This will let players to do less running and more fighting both for the defensive and the attacking side.

Other fixes

1. Most chat problems should be finally fixed now

2. Additional tools for chat moderators added (including pre-ban warnings)

3. Production increases for certain lacking resources (fir/hemp/oak)

• Like 15

I strongly suspect that the Royal British Navy in Jamaica has sent spies into the offices of Naval Action. Or something...

:-)

This is excellent for their method of packing big fat undercrewed ships into the Port Battles.

Edited by Ligatorswe
  • Like 2

I strongly suspect that the Royal British Navy in Jamaica has sent spies into the offices of Naval Action. Or something...

This is excellent for their method of packing big fat undercrewed ships into the Port Battles.

You can still win against an under crewed third rate if you are defending. The problem was that people were using fast ships or undecrewed high BR ships to circle strafe winning the defensive battles when the battle was really lost. But we will see how 2x works - its easy to adjust

Due to the high damage the 3rd rates can soak up, it is not that easy. A fully crewed cerb, needs only 2 full broadsides from a 3rd rate to be completly taken out of the game. I think this patch creates more issues, than it resolves. It clearly benefits those nations, which are able to fill PB with high rated ships, under crewed or not. A regular fleet of 25 small and med frigates will never substain the power of 25 3rd rates.

• Like 1

Due to the high damage the 3rd rates can soak up, it is not that easy. A fully crewed cerb, needs only 2 full broadsides from a 3rd rate to be completly taken out of the game. I think this patch creates more issues, than it resolves. It clearly benefits those nations, which are able to fill PB with high rated ships, under crewed or not. A regular fleet of 25 small and med frigates will never substain the power of 25 3rd rates.

Well this should change a bit after this announced big patch... under crewed ships with new crew system should make them less useful since lack of hands on deck should result with less canons active.

At least if I understand statements in this topic correctly: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/10571-1st-big-content-patch-information/page-1

We were solving a particular problem:

Where 3 ships could win the lost defensive battle by just sailing around outside of the reach of 10 similar vessels (after they destroyed the whole enemy fleet).

With the circle reduction you 1) don't have to chase them anymore 2) you need to sink smaller number of those third rates.

A regular fleet of 25 small and med frigates will never substain the power of 25 3rd rates.

Is it a historical realism problem?

You can still win against an under crewed third rate if you are defending. The problem was that people were using fast ships or undecrewed high BR ships to circle strafe winning the defensive battles when the battle was really lost. But we will see how 2x works - its easy to adjust

listen.. The British allready have fully crewed 3rd rates. so thats out of the question. they allready have more than x2 BR at the start.

now 15min before the battle ends.. this is way to late. they win after killing the 5 towers. now this only takes 30min max for the british.

so please do enlighten me again, how this is not favoring the british?

Other fixes

3. Production increases for certain lacking resources (fir/hemp/oak)

Just increasing the production doesn't help much with increasing availability of the resources when bot-style Buy contracts continue to vacuum up the resources regardless of production rate...

• Like 3

The question of undermanning will be clearly addressed in the 1st big patch.

In the new system:

All main tasks have a certain allocation of crew depending on ship type.

All main tasks have a minimum and optimal size of crew required.

• Optimal crew – task will be fulfilled at max speed
  • Minimal crew – task will be fulfilled with penalties
  • Less than minimal crew – task wont be fulfilled at all.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/10571-1st-big-content-patch-information/page-1

Please keep the posts Hotfix related, thank you. ;)

br will be adjusted in the future to include the upgrades power and crew size. but not now.

so you change stuff, knowing it might cause problems, and postpone the solution? hmmmm, i am not sure but i dont think i am gonna like this ;) but we will figure out. If it is not gonna work, I will start to moan :D

Edited by Brogsitter

listen.. The British allready have fully crewed 3rd rates. so thats out of the question. they allready have more than x2 BR at the start.

now 15min before the battle ends.. this is way to late. they win after killing the 5 towers. now this only takes 30min max for the british.

so please do enlighten me again, how this is not favoring the british?

I do not understand.

You want to let 25 light frigates to win against 25 3rd rates?

• Like 7

Not talking about port battle but, as game stands right now... There is absolutely no reason to sail a frigate once you can use 3rd rates. And i personally think that should not be the case.

I dislike any ship bigger than a Frigate myself. That is reason enough for me. Thanks for not including us all in that post.

• Like 2

It feels like too many variables changed at once. With both of these changes in effect I think that the game will REALLY play into the hands of people sailing undercrewed, huge ships, and it will also make the game disproportionally benefit people that grind 24/7 (sharing accounts, being unemployed and playing abnormally much, etc.) compared to people who actually have a life (school, job, family, activities away from the computer).

Factions that can't muster as many insanely hardcore players will simply be rolled over since there's no chance in hell for them to defend a port if they can't use smaller and lighter ships to any reasonable effect. This basically means "biggest ship wins", and that in itself means "casuals and normal people shouldn't bother playing port battles and only play the largest factions where they can hide among the mass of other players".

Edited by Inkompetent
  • Like 1

call me if i am wrong but this tactic was first used by the Pirates and the British then stole the idea :P

To fix this then just have a BR% for people undercrewing seems easiest way to fix the undercrewing BR problem also

Edited by Ronald Speirs

The BR rating difference was just fine. Making it even more difficult for the lesser nations to defend their ports however was a really bad move by the devs.

Instead of changing the BR difference needed to win a PB, you should have risen the penalty for sailing undercrewed ships, especially the Conny and 3rd rate!
IMO this was a really bad fix by the devs that makes things even more difficult for the smaller nations.

For us, the Danish-Norwegians, we suffer from this when fighting the British, and benefits when fighting the Swedes. So in the end I guess the biggest looser from this is the Spanish and Swedish.

• Like 1