Game-Labs Forum

"Winds of Change" National Naval Register! US Newspaper (PvP1) (Updated 3/13)

InfiniteAmount

I heard from an unreliable source I made up, who will be referred to as Anon, that the British and the Pirates are most certainly in cahoots! According to Anon, The British Diplomat and The Pirate Diplomat met under cover of darkness in a poorly-lit cabin in the woods. Hushed conversation was heard, followed by gentle whispers, a chaste kiss, and promises of a future rendezvous. Well I'm blowing the lid off of this whole sordid affair! The people have a right to know!

The affair is far more sordid then you can imagine :o

And I think the US forgot to inform the Pirates their advance was halted.

I assure you sir, my source is as reliable as he is imaginary, and he assures me that there's a conspiracy afoot!

I would be very careful about bringing him into this discussion. He has made me aware of a few choice bits of information about your chief diplomat and his relationship with a certain high level SLRN member. Although, perhaps relationship is the incorrect term, as it implies that there are *two* different people involved. :)

Edited by InfiniteAmount

I'm quite certain it's been explained before, but I'll do a quick run-by as best I can. I'm a relatively new member, but a very old acquaintance has been a member since, I believe, '03, so I'll give it a try.

The "Sealords Virtual Fleet" as a group has been around for years. They started in something like 2002 or 2003, maybe earlier. AFAIK they formed mostly around Age of Sail 2 back in the day (wonderful game), and created different fleets for RP purposes. At the moment the only active fleets are English and French, but they had Swedish as well as US once upon a time that I know of. There may have been others, but it's immaterial now. SLVF is a multi-national and multi-game community, which isn't at all uncommon. I've been a member of several over the years.

Anyway, unlike Age of Sail, Naval Action offers the chance to actually operate as separate entities, and we do. The public section of the forum shows SLRN and SLMFr forums together as one greater "Sealords Virtual Fleet" forum - in the same way as any other forum has smaller sub-forums - along with currently-defunct forums for other fleets. What non-members can't see, obviously, are the private forums which are separated by fleet membership. While I may be a member of SLMFr and so a member of the overall SLVF community, I am in no way associated with SLRN, and cannot see any of their private forum sections. The same holds true for their members. When you join, you join a specific nation. I've never actually spoken with a single member of SLRN, nor even the gentleman that runs the SLVF as a community, and have only commented on 1 thread started by one of their members ever, something about problems getting TS3 to run with Naval Action.

As for the other part, do people honestly believe that Charles Caldwell and Nakor are the same person? That's so foolish I'm not even going to comment on it.

So yeah, we've nothing to do one with one another beyond agreeing not to shoot at each other should we happen across a member of the opposite fleet, unless war is declared between our nations; then it's fair game. We've never run coordinated maneuvers (French and British are operating in completely separate theatres at the moment anyway) and we don't even have the same diplomatic status with other nations. If US players insist on believing this whole conspiracy theory then hey, go for it if that's what they need to tell themselves. It makes no difference to me, and if they're insistent then we both know I'm not going to be able to convince them otherwise.

In all honesty I thought it was just a running joke; if it isn't then that's kind of sad, and I'll continue to enjoy laughing at folks that insist on it  :P

Edited by Francis Tabernac
  • Like 2

OMG I can assure everyone here I am most certainly not Charles Caldwell. I live in the US and anyone who has talked to me knows that's a very bad rumor. I even have a obvious east coast US accent.

Be quiet Charles. Your bad attempts at writing as an American hurts my eyes...

PS - I added to your bounty.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How the hell did the British backstab spain? Spain attacked Britain in the middle of the talks to give them territory. Britain also most definitely helped Spain vs the US. Britain attacked the US  in the gulf and screened for Spain on the Northern Yucatan. This post is full of lies, slander, and propaganda.

The US stopped attacking Spain the day after las Tortugas was taken by Britain. Spain attacked Britain a few days later whilst Britain was under attack by pirates. Spain was trying to take south Cuba which they believed was "rightfully theirs". Peace talks began and in the middle of the negotiations Spain attacked Misteriosa. 

The Spanish members who left and joined the Pirates left because the inability of Spain to work together, realize they are a minor power and make allegiance or atleast a NA pact to anyone on their borders.   

How the hell did the British backstab spain? Spain attacked Britain in the middle of the talks to give them territory. Britain also most definitely helped Spain vs the US. Britain attacked the US in the gulf and screened for Spain on the Northern Yucatan. This post is full of lies, slander, and propaganda.

Actually because it is printed, it would be libel not slander, or it would be if it weren't the complete, 100% gospel truth.

• Like 1

Opinions will be what they are. I treat what I know of the British- Spanish conflict as a case of one mistake leading to another and unfortunate escalation. I wouldn't personally blame neither party, there are simply too many moving parts in each nation for black and white, clear treaties