Game-Labs Forum
Felix Victor

Yet another map: Naval Action map

Updated beta version at https://na-map-test.netlify.com/:

• journey duration calculates based on distance, current wind direction and ship speed (assumptions: minimal speed of 4 knots, open world speed is twice the regular speed) @Wraith
  • list of cannons added
  • range for x and z coordinates are -819k to 819k @Norfolk nChance
  • minor improvements

May I ask you to test the beta again, especially the journey duration: @jodgi

• check setting 'double click to plot a course' is selected
  • set current wind and ship under menu item 'Make journey'
  • double click twice on map for each segment to construct a journey
  • Like 2

Wonderful :)

The only thing I can think of is that it's less fluid to have the dropdown menu for selecting ship + build close after every click

(When I select Indefatigable it closes and I click "make journey" again)

Nothing large, and otherwise love this tool :D 

• Like 1

Felix,

your map is impressive.  I am looking forward to testing the accuracy of the Journey.  Have you considered allowing us to input the ships top speed, to allow for Books and Upgrades?

It is unfortunate that some players are negative towards  3rd party apps.  Your's efforts have created something marvelous.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Macjimm said:

It is unfortunate that some players are negative towards  3rd party apps. 

I don't think anybody is.

1 hour ago, jodgi said:
9 hours ago, Macjimm said:

It is unfortunate that some players are negative towards  3rd party apps. 

I don't think anybody is.

Banished always calls my map 'the cheater's map' but he is also heavily using it. 😁 Right, @Banished Privateer?

Edited by Felix Victor

I am looking forward to testing the accuracy of the Journey.

Yes, please 🙂

Have you considered allowing us to input the ships top speed, to allow for Books and Upgrades?

Good idea

My preliminary tests reveal that the times provided by Journey may be very close.  The errors I have received may be because I did not use the map correctly.  I am looking forward to testing more.

I enjoy sailing and like the navigation part of the game.  Arriving at the destination is very easy, but determining the time(s) still holds a little challenge.  na-map is a good tool for fast information about the times required for each leg.

It would be helpful if;

• The text and compass was smaller when zoomed in.  It is difficult to see the course  when zoomed in fully.
  • The units of time were smaller;  a ship can sail a great distance in a single minute, so decimal points of minutes or seconds would be nice. 

And a little clarification about the comment I made earlier.  I have not heard anyone criticize na-map directly, but I remember countless times reading player's rants that the Devs should include more ingame options (Map tools) so that 3rd party apps are not necessary.  I've never understood why pressing "Alt Tab" is horrible but pressing "M" is just fine.

detail2.thumb.jpg.bddc838a3008e3db6837a15062c7a952.jpg

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

The text and compass was smaller when zoomed in

Agreed, it is already a lot of competing information there. I will check the text size. However, why would you need to work on a journey that only takes minutes or even fractions of it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Macjimm said:

reading player's rants that the Devs should include more ingame options (Map tools) so that 3rd party apps are not necessary. 

Ah, I think I've seen comments to that effect. Nevermind those guys. Devs released api data for us to use, they want this. They are happy when we make stuff and so are we.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Felix Victor said:

However, why would you need to work on a journey that only takes minutes or even fractions of it?

The only circumstance when a short journey, with several waypoints, may involve important timings is during a storm, when visibility is lousy.  

Most of the important timings are out on the open water, when cumulative intervals of several half minutes can result in a significant variation in distance.  As a trader, it is wise to plot a course to avoid sighting land, where the course plan becomes an important recipe for arriving on schedule, at a precise spot.

Regardless, your map is very helpful as it is. It works well, and it is fast.  It's also easy to modify the Journey.  My comments are offered in the spirit of fine tuning it.   Players interested in precision navigation can still use a graphics program, some basic geometry, a little arithmetic and Shrouded Recluse's map for detailed calculations.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jodgi said:

Ah, I think I've seen comments to that effect. Nevermind those guys. 

Thanks jodgi,

Good advice, I should just enjoy the stuff people create to enhance the game, and ignore the hate.   Suppose some people just want to complain.  

Hi Felix,

Is it possible to add carriages, barrels etc. to "Select Good"?

At the moment its not possible to search for these goods.

Probably these are the goods that are missing:

3KUkPFa.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jodgi said:

Ah, I think I've seen comments to that effect. Nevermind those guys. Devs released api data for us to use, they want this. They are happy when we make stuff and so are we.

but...... It's not handy. It's more clumsy to use browsers, apps, tabs, calcs and websites while playing the game... We could make it all different ourselves if the game allowed modding... which it does not. 

So... if we don't have modding in the game, I would greatly appreciate Devs to include in-game basic tools of navigation, sailing profiles and data that should be easily accessible and not hidden somewhere in the API only for the heavily involved users that know how to operate with it. Just my 2 cents.

21 minutes ago, Banished Privateer said:

I would greatly appreciate Devs to include in-game basic tools of navigation, sailing profiles and data that should be easily accessible

That's fine but they won't have that kind of time on their hands for a long time. In the mean time I'm happy they gave us API.